Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
So can anyone explain how Khan has changed from being an Indian with a Spanish accent into a white guy with a British accent, when the timeline split occurs long after he was born?

JAK®;25675507 said:
So can anyone explain how Khan has changed from being an Indian with a Spanish accent into a white guy with a British accent, when the timeline split occurs long after he was born?

There is not going to be. The real reason no matter what was they did not want a middle-eastern type of guy being the main villain for international sales. That is probably why.

Even as a Trek fan I think it's great they have been trying to keep all cannon good and relevant. But in reality to me ST09 was really a reboot. You can't explain everything like why is the ships look....like actually futuristic ships rather than cardboard sets. Or (IMO) the lame excuse to as why Klingon's in TOS did not have ridges (Budget people budget lol) To me not everything needs a reason/excuse. It really is what it is. Thank goodness though they got a great actor like BC to cover that role. But it seems like it was probably changed for those reasons.

I see it as a full reboot in reality, and not everything is going to be the same. For some reason with lots of em I never needed reasons to why certain things had changed. I could see this one making some upset, but like I said it was probably to get the international market to like it.

That and in TWOK he really did not look ethnic at all. In SS yes he did.

JAK®;25675507 said:

[BLACKOUT]It sounds like 'artist license' being used here. Remember, JJ was looking for Latin actors like Benicio Del Toro and Edgar Ramirez. When things fell apart with Del Toro, who almost nabbed the role, Benedict so happens to turn in an audition tape that JJ loved. So I guess the rest is history. I bet you that Jj wanted to explain Khan's now apparent Britishness and now sonic demeanor but went 'nah'.

[/BLACKOUT]

[BLACKOUT]It sounds like 'artist license' being used here. Remember, JJ was looking for Latin actors like Benicio Del Toro and Edgar Ramirez. When things fell apart with Del Toro, who almost nabbed the role, Benedict so happens to turn in an audition tape that JJ loved. So I guess the rest is history. I bet you that Jj wanted to explain Khan's now apparent Britishness and now sonic demeanor but went 'nah'.

[/BLACKOUT]

I forgot about that. That may be the big reason.

That's like asking why is Perry White black in MOS?

Who cares. Not to get all racial about this - but honestly - as MLK once said "Judge not by the color of their skin, but by the CONTENT OF THEIR CHARACTER." If they can get the character's mindset correctly - that's all that matters. Everything else is superfluous.
- Jow

The facebook page is reporting an update to the App. Its referring to a "USS Vengence." Is that the name of the Dreadnaught ship? If so that is preposterously on the nose.

Here is another non-spoiler review:

And my non spoilerish review:

Those who loved the last film should really enjoy this one. Those determined to hate JJ's efforts will probably be boasting how they knew it would be bad.

All performances were excellent, and everyone seemed to have plenty to do. Wonderful one-liners, lots of quirky little name drops for the diehards, glimpses of some very cool aliens and crewmembers - and I'm truly amazed just how many visuals and plot points and little surprises remained under wraps right up till the film started screening!

You could also see that the writers have been enjoying the fannish banter on TrekBBS for years, and numerous debates still going here were addressed in the film, and very well! Several plot points were turned on their ears, and while some were very predictable, others came out of left field. I had not guessed the real reason Carol Marcus screams in the trailer!

JJ actually asked us not to go blabbing about the spoilers, so I won't. I had a really great time and, on numerous occasions, I was literally on the edge of my seat. It was fun anticipating each beat with nickyboy and Jean Prouvaire (whom you might recall from the early days of TrekBBS) and none of us could believe we were really there. (I was told I was being given a free double pass for my "outstanding services to Australian Star Trek fandom since 1980". Coolness!)

For non-Star Trek cinema-goers, this is an action film with lots of witty lines and character arcs. I loved it, but you all knew I'd say that, didn't you. It's a fun night at the cinema and will withstand many, many repeat attendances!

That's like asking why is Perry White black in MOS?

Who cares. Not to get all racial about this - but honestly - as MLK once said "Judge not by the color of their skin, but by the CONTENT OF THEIR CHARACTER." If they can get the character's mindset correctly - that's all that matters. Everything else is superfluous.
- Jow

It's not the same. Perry White was changed because it's another interpretation of the character. This is supposed to be the same character, just in an alternate timeline. The circumstances of his ethnicity should be unchanged, according to the rules established in the previous movie.

JAK®;25675507 said:

Probably not explained in the movie but
'Surgical alteration' has been present in Trek for spies and the like since TOS. Section 31 may have had occasion to alter his face & voice for some undisclosed mission. This, I freely admit, is reaching and then some for continuities sake. Truth is they just got in a guy who could play a bad @ss villain and any resemblance to the original character was put aside

Probably not explained in the movie but
'Surgical alteration' has been present in Trek for spies and the like since TOS. Section 31 may have had occasion to alter his face & voice for some undisclosed mission. This, I freely admit, is reaching and then some for continuities sake. Truth is they just got in a guy who could play a bad @ss villain and any resemblance to the original character was put aside

Ya Trek has reached before, and to me it's not that big of a deal. I guess already they have confirmed that the Klingons have ridges in this one. So ya I'm sure in later on stuff they could explain it like that. Like what Dukat did in DS9 to completely alter his face/entire race change. Heck I wanna say Sisko and them did it as Klingons once if my memory serves me correct.

Well after reading the entire "film" from that guy. I'm actually pretty excited.

Massive spoilers do not read if you don't want to know anything.

At first I was turned off by the idea that this is pretty much TWOK, mainly since John is Khan. That kinda made me mad. But after reading about 4 different fan reviews it still sounds like they all agree the film is great and very well executed. Everyone universally agrees people will be crying and it is extremely emotional and very well acted.

Actually reading the whole movie....it's really not TWOK I Learned, it's really a mixture of Section 31 (which is cool and unexpected) and Space Seed with an emotional twist. It does sound like there are many homages especially the TWOK one of sacrifice at the end. But in reality they said it is one of the most emotional and best scenes I forgive that. It sounds like a mix mash of stuff from TOS and some of DS9 (mainly with the inclusion of Section 31) that it really is not a lot new, but some new threads throughout. The first Trek 09 film was about them introducing each other. And this film all the guys are saying that hand down this is the one where their unbreakable bonds are formed. Where they truly become friends and something beyond. Some of it sounds like Kirk having to prove himself again, which at first I kinda was like eh...But apparently it is very well executed. And looking at my signature the emotional core is the most important part.

Some of there views I've seen though a lot seem to like it as much as ST09, a few said a little less. One guy at BBS liked it more then ST09. So after a little shock, I actually liked hearing the summary.

That and:

All the guys said on paper it does not sound as good, but executed just fine. The one thing I laughed that some Trek fans tried to gripe about is the blood that heals Kirk at the end. Man they don't watch Trek then, because there has always been very odd things that help/save the crew in all the series. Especially since the genetic blood thing is pretty much the same from TNG: Nemesis.

Forgive my ignorance but
what is Section 31?

Benicio Del Toro would have been EPIC!

Special Ops with agents. Think SHIELD.
Ya but much darker. Pretty much a section of the Federation that never had any oversight, and could do what it wanted. Made during the early days of the Federation, and really almost no one knows about it, only a select few. It's main goal is to protect the Federation by any means necessary, they are a pretty dark organization.

If you guys want to read the reviews, here the direct links. Of course, spoiler alert:

http://www.graffitiwithpunctuation.net/2013/04/23/review-star-trek-into-darkness-2013/

http://www.3news.co.nz/Star-Trek-Into-Darkness-review/tabid/418/articleID/295304/Default.aspx

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/23/star-trek-into-darkness-igns-review

The least positive is the 'graffiti' review, though it's still a passing review. The rest are positive.

I'm just curious how the reviews will turn out to be like state-side.

Last edited:
Avoiding spoilers for now.
Glad the consensus is positive .

That's the problem of these reviews or early screenings of this sort (which I'm sure were embargoed but were broken) is that they get released weeks..weeks before the release date, especially in the US. So spoilers get out, so early that people have higher expectations, or they're quick to judge.

That's the problem of these reviews or early screenings of this sort (which I'm sure were embargoed but were broken) is that they get released weeks..weeks before the release date, especially in the US. So spoilers get out, so early that people have higher expectations, or they're quick to judge.

Ya on paper one reviewer said it does not sound as interesting or well played off, but he said it really is. Most people are saying it is very well executed, fun, and just if you liked the first you will like this one.

The Dreadnaught Class USS Vengeance. They should have just named it the Evil Ship of Evil Doing.
USS-V-Main-Image.jpg

Bad guys do like their vehicles black, don't they?

The poster in general for the film have been uninspired. Remember those cool simplistic promotional photos of Kirk and Spock against white backgrounds from the first film? Not present here.

Spoilers have arrived? Time to start avoiding this thread. I already spoiled Iron Man 3 for myself, I need to at least have some surprises this summer with this and MOS. Can't wait for this release though, I might be able to go to a screening the night before release. :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"