State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - Part 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what about that is wrong.

Scenes that were brutal and dramatic come off laughable. Like when Bob (Madsen) shoots Hartigan dozens of times and he keeps talking as if nothing. It doesn't work in movie the way it does in a comic book.

Worked pretty well for me. Maybe you shouldn't expect a movie based on a comic book to follow different rules.

Worked pretty well for me. Maybe you shouldn't expect a movie based on a comic book to follow different rules.

Different media, different rules. When you adapt you must be aware of that. I've seen dozens of movies based on books that work as movies perfectly.

The scene I mentioned reminded me too much of (starting at 1:45):

[YT]?v=fVJiwuk75Ig[/YT]

Heroic dude. For comic effect he keeps being shot but he won't die.

Last edited:
Different media, different rules. When you adapt you must be aware of that. I've seen dozens of movies based on books that work as movies perfectly.

The scene I mentioned reminded me too much of (starting at 1:45):

[YT]?v=fVJiwuk75Ig[/YT]

Heroic dude. For comic effect he keeps being shot but he won't die.

[YT]rxZXptGpXng[/YT]

Movies don't always have to follow "the rules." That kind of general grounding kills the magic. Films are supposed to show us things that make us wonder. Tornadoes kill little Kansas girls and their dogs, but not in the movies.

Movies don't always have to follow "the rules." That kind of general grounding kills the magic. Films are supposed to show us things that make us wonder. Tornadoes kill little Kansas girls and their dogs, but not in the movies.

And dramatic scenes shouldn't come off comedic just because they're too busy duplicating frame by frame the original source to notice.

There's nothing wrong with duplicating from the source. Maybe the presentation in the movie might be off, but I don't think that's a problem stemming from copying what happens in the book.

There's nothing wrong with duplicating from the source. Maybe the presentation in the movie might be off, but I don't think that's a problem stemming from copying what happens in the book.

That's what was wrong in parts of this movie.

I never said it was wrong per se.

It just sounded like you were you saying that something like Willis getting lit up couldn't work in a movie at all.

When I go into a comic movie, all I care about is a good story. Accuracy is moot.

I get the criticism lobbed at Sin City in a way, but I think the film is so stylized, and presents itself in that way, that I don't see how one can judge it as not working as well as it's comic book counterpart. I think the idea that one medium can be heavily stylized and one can't to be awfully limiting. It's all about how they present the world and the rules within it. If there was some indication that Sin City was some type of realistic portrayal of anything, I could get saying that, but since it's not and never tries to be I find the point more or less moot.

Yea it fits in the world of the film fine. If it was in a film that wasn't so stylized it'd stand out a lot more. But Sin City never tries to be realistic. Another example is Marv is practically indestructible. The amount of punishment he takes is obscene.

Made it like 20 pages in the book before I lost interest LOL but I can't say I was too pleased with THG after seeing it. I was like...really? What all the hype about? Not to knock those who like it, but I found nothing particularly special in that movie, save for maybe JL and JNH's score.

BTW, I'm no Venom fan but I love your avvy.

Even the tagline "May the odds be ever in your favour" makes me cringe whenever I see/hear it. Plus it doesn't help that the promotional campaign makes it seem like Twilight crossed with a tamed-down version of Battle Royale (which is infinitely better than The Hunger Games by a wide-margin), for instance, the cover art for the collector's edition Blu-ray of the newest film makes it look about as lame as a Barbie movie.

Thanks, man. I'm a big fan of the character, so that image of Eddie looking defeated while being consumed by the symbiote perfectly captured what I've been going for in my Venom screenplay. Glad ya like it.

Not really looking forward to X-Men: Days of Future Past.

Same. After the post credits scene of the wolverine, I was REALLY pumped. Even went back and watched all the X-men films. but nothing released or mentioned has grabbed my attention or anything like that. I will still see it for sure though.

They still haven't released a proper full trailer. They've been teasing stuff here and there, and those 10-second spots but no trailer with finished CGI.

Hopefully that means we'll be getting cartoon claws, like in WO. :o

I really couldn't care less about the X-Men movies anymore. The last few that came out Wolverine Origins, The Wolverine and X3: Wolverine Wolverine have made me lose total interest in the series. I really liked First Class as it only had a cameo and the rest was other people but since they're shoving him back in as the main character of DOFP I don't care anymore.

I'll stick with the MCU who use other characters. :p

They still haven't released a proper full trailer. They've been teasing stuff here and there, and those 10-second spots but no trailer with finished CGI.

It seems like the trailer next week will make or break the hype for the movie.

Reminds me of First Class, which had a weak marketing campaign but then an awesome final trailer with great reviews from screenings a couple weeks later.

It seems like the trailer next week will make or break the hype for the movie.

Reminds me of First Class, which had a weak marketing campaign but then an awesome final trailer with great reviews from screenings a couple weeks later.

That's usually Fox for ya. Same story happened with the first film, they didn't have time to do test screenings so they had to count on the cut they had and it ended up being great. I think that Days of Future Past will be the best X-Men film yet, that first trailer impressed the hell out of me.

That 10 second Intragram sh** is stupid as hell but I am looking forward to the movie, if only for dat Peter Dinklage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"