Stephen King's "IT" Part I and Part II

‘It: Chapter Two’ director promises lots of Easter eggs and more ‘perverse’ Pennywise

It: Chapter Two director Andy Muschietti looks a little sheepish. The filmmaker is midway through shooting a scene for his sequel inside a library at the University of Toronto and someone has already spotted an Easter egg that links to Stephen King’sThe Shining.

“There’s a lot,” he says when asked about the subtle nods he has placed to the master of horror in the second part of his adaptation of King’s 1986 novel It.

“Just take a look. In every corner there’s an Easter egg … I wasn’t in an Easter egg mode when I made the first one. I just wanted to make a movie. Now, I’m more relaxed. There might be too many,” he adds with a chuckle.

As a gaggle of journalists from around the world made their way through Wycliffe College on an unseasonably hot afternoon last September, students milled around unbeknownst that the follow-up to the world’s highest grossing horror film was shooting in their midst.

Muschietti, a life-long King fan who directed the 1989-set original, announced his return to helm the sequel almost immediately after the first film opened in 2017.

It: Chapter Two picks up 27 years after the first film and finds the shape-shifting Pennywise returning to wreak terror on the denizens of Derry, Maine.

The adult version of The Losers’ Club, who defeated the murderous dancing clown as youngsters, are back to do battle with him again.

Bill Skarsgard reprises his role as Pennywise.

screen-shot-2019-08-30-at-10.03.00-am.png

Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise in a scene from It: Chapter Two. (Warner Bros.)

James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain, Bill Hader, James Ransone, Jay Ryan and Isaiah Mustafa are playing the adult version of The Losers’ Club, who were originally portrayed by Jaeden Martell, Sophia Lillis, Finn Wolfhard, Jack Dylan Grazer, Jeremy Ray Taylor and Chosen Jacobs.

“It’s about adult fears,” Muschietti says. “And some of the adult fears in this second one are a little more surprising.”

If Skarsgard’s Pennywise was a thing of nightmares in the first film, Muschietti promises that this new incarnation, which also features de-aged versions of the kids in newly shot scenes, will be even scarier.

“The new Pennywise is smarter,” Muschietti teases during the Sun’s visit to the set.

“He already has been beaten by the Losers in 1989, so he’s back looking for revenge. He’s angry and so he has to step up. He’s more perverse. You see him in situations where he’s eager to play more with his victims. He’s ultimately playing a bigger endgame and has a bigger plan than you think.”

When he made the first part, Muschietti admits he didn’t seek out advice from King. The book had already been turned into a much-loved TV mini-series that starred Tim Curry, Harry Anderson, John Ritter, Annette O’Toole and Tim Reid.

“I could have called him,” Muschietti says. “But I wanted to focus on my vision of the movie instead of asking Stephen King if it was OK. It’s an adaptation so you have to find what you reacted to emotionally from the story.”

But King, now 71, raved over Chapter One and they became pen pals.

“That’s a term I haven’t heard in 30 years,” Muschietti jokes.

The two struck up a friendship, with the author helping the Argentinian director and screenwriter Gary Dauberman decide what to keep from his novel, and even offering up suggestions to give the film a fresh take.

“I wanted to engage him a little more on the story, so I wanted to see what he thought. He gave me a list of what was important to him,” Muschietti says.

King thought the scene in which Pennywise takes over a statue of Paul Bunyan and attacks Richie (Hader) was an important moment in the novel, so Muschietti made sure to keep it in.

“We found some stuff that makes the story a little more interesting.”

If Muschietti showed restraint in his first film, he hints that Chapter Two will lean more into the book’s horrific elements.

Teach Grant, who plays the film’s sadistic secondary villain Henry Bowers, is evidence of that as he’s seen stalking around the set covered in fake blood.

it-skarsgard.jpg

Bill Skarsgard as Pennywise in a scene from It: Chapter Two. (Warner Bros.)

“From a cinematic point of view, there’s a little bit of a crank-up of all the emotions, including the horror,” Muschietti says.

“But it’s a new perspective. The first part of the book is a metaphor for the end of childhood. The second part talks about the same theme, but from an adult point of view. It’s going to be scarier, but also more fun and more emotional.”

For now, Muschietti plans to stay in the Stephen King business.

Along with his sister and producing partner Barbara, he plans to produce Roadwork, which was written under the pseudonym Richard Bachman, and adapt The Jaunt, a short story from King’s Skeleton Crew.

“That’s a story that I always loved. It’s about teleportation and it’s a family drama that’s just devastating. It’s one of my all-time favourites.”

The soundtrack is so good, the last few tracks in particular are just beautiful

Do you want to know what sobbing for 4 minutes continuously in a movie theater sounds like? listen to “Nothing Last’s Forever”.

^lol why does adult Stan look almost nothing like Andy Bean?

Really. He looks like a different person entirely.

Speaking of Stan, another brief clip

By far (to me, at least), the most interesting thing about the sequel is that we'll be seeing more of the kids. Here we see them build what I presume is an alternate take on the smoke hole from the book. I have to wonder if this is where the movie pays closer attention to the book. Maybe the seeds of Ben becoming an architect are planted there?

James Ransone, Eddie In ‘It Chapter Two,’ Wants To Be Dom DeLuise

James-Ransone.jpg

Warner Bros.

James Ransone plays Eddie in It Chapter Two, taking over for Jack Dylan Grazer who played young Eddie in the first film and during flashbacks in this sequel. Speaking to James Ransone is, well, quite the experience! Instead of trying to explain – other than to point out he was tipped off before the interview that I like the movie The Cannonball Run – let’s just get on with the proceedings.

James Ransone: I heard you like The Cannonball Run.

Of all the movies I like that’s a strange one to pick.

Would that not be your go-to? Like who you are? Encapsulating you?

Well, I don’t…

But I’m more of a Smokey and the Bandit guy.

I love any movie about trying to get Coors from Texas to Georgia.

We need to bring back some of those movies, man.

You should pitch something that involves a CB.

They’re not going to listen to me. Hey Warner Bros., you like trucks? What was the Stephen King movie that he directed?

Maximum Overdrive.

Maximum Overdrive. I’m like, dude, we need to pitch a Southern version of Maximum Overdrive. Like a Kris Kristofferson mashup. You guys own all the rights to the Stephen King property. Here’s my idea.

People don’t realize how big a star Burt Reynolds was at the time for The Cannonball Run.

No, people don’t. He was ****ing massive.

It would be like today if Tom Cruise did a movie like that.

This is what I’m trying to tell you, man! If this clown movie can parley me into the Dom DeLuise era of my career, I’ll ****ing take that ****.

That’s your goal? Your goal is to be our new Dom DeLuise?

Yeah. I can just stand around and laugh at ****ing Burt Reynolds. That sounds so awesome. I don’t give a ****. I’ll be there with spaghetti sauce all over my shirt.

Well, that’s all I have. This was great.

All right. Good to talk to you.

Here’s my transition into It Chapter Two.

Okay. I’m ready.

That Pennywise guy, he’s bad news.

Yeah. I’m not going to disagree with you. Hader and I talked about this, which is, if somebody called me to be like, “Will you come back?” I’d be like, “No, I’m just gonna deal with it.” There’s so much other bull****, I’m not going back there. No, I’ll ride this out to the end.

When Jessica Chastain says the alternative is everyone will be dead within 27 years, it’s like that doesn’t sound terrible. Under the circumstances, I could accept that.

Yeah. I feel like I can live with that. If I get another 27 years, people will be like, “Oh, well, that was sad. He was little too young.” But nobody’s going to like freak out. I’m not going to make it on some millennial’s Instagram.

How much internet stuff did you read about Eddie before you did this? He’s a polarizing character.

I don’t care about any of that stuff. It’s just Eddie on the internet that is polarizing. Everything else on the internet is fine, except for Eddie.

Yes, the internet has come together to make their opinions on everything equal, other than Eddie. That’s the only thing people still argue about.

And the trade deal in China.

Well, I went down a rabbit hole reading Eddie opinions and it was fascinating.

**** like that will just make me mad though. Because you’re going to pick a side, and you’re going to go, “These people don’t know what they’re talking about.” These other people are morons and then you’re doing the whole thing. You know? I can give you my best impression of what Jack Dylan Grazer’s had been doing. I will make the fans of the first one happy. That’s literally all I thought about.

When I say polarizing, I mean people are very interested in the relationship between Richie and Eddie. And obviously this movie explores that and I think that’s interesting.

Interesting. In what way?

Well, I think the movie certainly is less vague.

It’s actually not vague in the book.

Okay. I guess what I’m getting around to, do you do like how the movie presents it more than the book? The relationship between Richie and Eddie?

It’s sort of like… it’s more because I go, yeah, I like Bill Hader a great deal. And I liked working with Bill Hader a great deal. That part was really fun for me. And, to be honest, I’m actually not that good of an actor. And if I don’t like my costar, it’s very obvious.

I think you are a good actor. You fooled me.

I’m not that good, man. I promise. It’s pretty terrible.

So, recapping this, I feel like the only two things we definitely agree on was The Cannonball Run and that Pennywise is bad news.

He is bad news. Just don’t loan him money.

Well, there’s a third It movie right there. He starts borrowing money from people and never pays them back.

Oh, dude, we forgot about Every Which Way But Loose.

In the third It Pennywise also drives a truck with an orangutan.

I’ll play the monkey.

Pennywise is finally defeated by being punched in the face by the monkey.

The monkey is just not afraid of Pennywise. Clyde’s fearless. That’s right. He didn’t tap into it. So… the publicists here are yelling at me that I have to end this.

Yeah, I bet they are.

When does the review embargo lift?

Got my tickets for Thursday. Can't wait. :D

I know theatres hate it because they can't squeeze as many showings in on the daily.

Reviews are what I expected. I suspect it’ll settle around 70% when all is said and done. Like I said, the movie like the second half of the book is much more polarizing than the first half. If you loved the first film you’ll likely love this one, if you thought it was fine, you wont get much out of this.
I grew up loving the novel, and waiting for this adaptation to come to life. The spirit and soul of the book is so deeply resonated in this film, I felt so much gratification by its conclusion. I have tickets to see it 3 more times this week.

Almost 3 hours? For a horror related film? Im might wait for home release

If people can handle The Lord of the Rings and Avengers: Endgame, they can handle this.

(just force yourself to pee several times beforehand until every last drop of liquid in your body has been forcibly expelled. and go easy on the soda)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"