Stephen King's "IT" Part I and Part II

EC8jU5PUcAAZLwu

I really want to see the statue with Richie part.

'It: Chapter Two': Guillermo del Toro Almost Had a Cameo, Details About a Deleted Scene, and More

Guillermo del Toro Almost Had An It Chapter Two Cameo
“I’m very ambitious when it comes to cameos,” Muschietti joked. “It’s my best trait as a director.” There are a couple of small ones scattered throughout It: Chapter Two that I won’t spoil for you here, but the film very nearly had another familiar face in a tiny role: Guillermo del Toro, the director of films like Pacific Rim and The Shape of Water.

In the film, there’s a scene in which young Ben Hanscomb (Jeremy Ray Taylor) briefly collides with a janitor while he’s being chased by Pennywise through the halls of his school, and Muschietti explained how that was the role he had earmarked for del Toro, but they couldn’t quite work out the details or timing to get him on board.

“I wanted Guillermo in the movie. Guillermo del Toro. We were this close. He was going to play the janitor that Ben runs into when he’s running away from Pennywise. Yeah. That scene, of course, would have been like five minutes longer if Guillermo was in it.”

The Length was a Topic of Concern
Dauberman, who said Stephen King is on his personal Mount Rushmore of horror writers, wrote a film that ended up being 2 hours and 49 minutes – far longer than a typical horror film, and the type of extended run time that could make studio executives nervous. I asked if there were any concerns about the length, and he said there were.

“Yes, there were lots of concerns about the length. But we always had the motto of, if it feels long, then it is long. We watched it and – I’ve watched a lot of hour and a half movies that feel like four hours. So if we’re watching a movie that’s two hours and forty minutes and it doesn’t feel like that, that was our win.”

The One Element Dauberman Wishes He Was Able to Include
King’s novel begins with lengthy introductions of each of the adult Losers, intercutting with stories from their younger counterparts and ultimately taking nearly 500 pages for the adults to reunite at the Jade of the Orient Chinese restaurant in Derry. And even though this film clocks in at just under three hours in its theatrical form, when I asked Dauberman if there was anything he couldn’t fit into the script that he would have liked to, he said he wanted to see more of that time with each Loser alone before they reconnected:

“In the run-up of that first act, I loved seeing where the Losers ended up in their real lives, but also I know, ‘Well, people are just going to want to get them to the Jade of the Orient, and get them back together.’ So that was a big thing while I was writing, going, ‘I wish I could spend a little more time in their day to day, just to see what they’re doing.’ But you can’t.”

Bill Hader Had An Embarrassing On-Set Injury

When the adult cast was asked about the physicality of their performances and if anyone incurred any scars while making the film, Hader sheepishly explained that he experienced an unfortunate injury.

Warning: his answer includes spoilers for the end of the film, but I’m going to include them because the book and the mini-series are both super popular and have been out for a long time. But turn back now if you don’t want to be spoiled.

“I pulled my groin muscle simply running…[during a scene in the climax of the film]. Andy was like, ‘Turn around and run from the clown spider.’ I turned around, and [James Ransone] is doing barrel rolls, [Jay Ryan] is doing barrel rolls, [Isaiah Mustafa] is jumping over and sliding, kick-ass, he’s an action star. McAvoy is finding stuff to jump and do pirouettes over, and I just turned and went [mimics cracking noise, pretends to fall over]. I had to have a nice Canadian doctor come over and give me an MRI, and he was like, ‘Oh wow, how’d you do this, then? Ah, run away from a clown spider, eh?'”

For those who haven't read the book or seen the mini series.

'It Chapter 2' premiere: How the grown-up Losers were cast (thanks to baby photos and Finn Wolfhard)

LOS ANGELES – It wasn’t just the mirrored funhouse that had guests of the “It Chapter Two” premiere seeing double.

At the celebration of the horror sequel, young and grown-up Losers walked the black-tented, fog-smoked carpet.

The teenage and grown-up actors behind Beverly (Jessica Chastain and Sophia Lillis) stopped in front of a picture of Pennywise’s eyes to embrace. Adult Mike and kid Mike (Isaiah Mustafa and Chosen Jacobs) admired each other’s attire.

Ultimately, the teenage/grown-up actor pairings (minus an absent James McAvoy) stood side-by-side at the Regency Theatre stage to present the horror sequel. The look-alike pairings were obvious.

more mature actors come to be onstage with the youngsters who starred in “It Chapter One”? The story of each casting decision is a bit different.

For Jay Ryan, who plays Jeremy Ray Taylor’s Ben 27 years older, getting the role had a lot to do with obtaining a photo, since casting the former hunky male lead of The CW’s “Beauty and the Beast” series wasn’t an obvious choice for aging up a doughier kid.

“So they asked, to get me over the line, could I send photographs of me at the age Jeremy was in 'It Chapter One,'” Ryan said. “I look very similar to Jeremy. It sealed the deal.” Taylor adds that he wasn’t confident that director Andy Muschietti had found the right actor until “he sent me this picture of Jay Ryan and I lost it. Our eyes are uncanny. We both squint a lot. And our mannerisms are the exact same.”

Bill Hader credits star Finn Wolfhard with his casting, because the actor behind Younger Richie suggested Hader would be the perfect pick as his foul-mouthed jokester character. Hader was on board.

“Finn and I are kind of similar. We’re kind of gangly weirdos,” Hader said. It was a fit.

The fact that Isaiah Mustafa and Chosen Jacobs both played the stoic Mike at different ages seemed serendipitous to the actors, because Mustafa means "chosen" in Arabic.

According to Jaeden Martell (Young Bill), the casting of a mature Bill, the leader of the group, was never in question. Muschietti “always wanted James McAvoy to play it. I was just super excited about that. I’m flattered.”

As a way to thank their director, for their casting and for finishing the second movie, actors of all ages led the theater in "Happy Birthday" before the movie began. The celebration continued with onscreen balloons and clowns.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle adult Henry. If there is one criticism I have against Chapter 1 is they didn't utilize Henry to his full potential. He felt under used. Like he was not a constant threat to the Losers. I think the 1990 version did a better job with that as the Losers were constantly being harassed by Bowers in it. Much like the book.

It: Chapter Two: Why Jessica Chastain Was Covered in 4,500 Gallons of Fake Blood

When director Andy Muschietti’s first adaptation of Stephen King’s It debuted two years ago, the movie about a menacing clown went on to become the highest-grossing horror film of all time—earning a record $700 million in ticket sales worldwide. On September 6, Pennywise resurfaces in It: Chapter Two, with Muschietti returning to direct a star-studded cast including Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy, and Bill Hader. The second installment picks up 27 years after the events of the first film, with the grown-up versions of the kids once known as the Losers Club reunite in their childhood town of Derry, Maine—when the killer clown, again played by Bill Skarsgård, comes back deadlier than ever.

“The second movie is scarier, visually bigger, and more emotional,” said Muschietti at the film’s premiere in Los Angeles on Monday. “But the movie most importantly is about the human experience. It’s unusual to make a horror movie with this level of comedy, emotion, and drama, but if you look at real life, that’s what you see.”

That extra element was one of the reasons Hader, who plays sarcastic and wise-cracking Richie, was attracted to the film.

“When I first read the script, I was surprised how super emotional the story was written,” said the Barry star and Emmy winner. “But that’s what makes Andy’s vision special, and different compared to other horror movies. It’s more than just being scared. When I was on set, they wanted me to show more emotion. I have a big emotional scene in a lake where I cry, but I really was just freezing. Those were tears of being cold, and Andy was directing me through it the whole time. He’s like, More tears! Those emotional scenes can be kind of hard, but I had great actors there supporting me, and it was actually pretty great.”

For Chastain, playing the older Beverly Marsh—a woman who was bullied at school and abused by her father as a teen—was an empowering experience.

“Beverly is one of the bravest characters I have played. [What] I love the most about her is that she’s willing to face the difficulties from her childhood and overcome them,” said Chastain on the fog-smoked arrivals carpet prior to the screening. “She knows that if you suppress memories and suppress sadness, you can’t move forward. It takes a lot of courage to face your fears and sadness, and to me, Beverly is fearless.”

Pennywise feeds off fear, which manifests throughout the film; it opens by depicting a brutal hate crime described in King’s original novel, in which a gay couple is attacked by a group of teenage bigots. The incident was inspired by the true-life story of Charlie Howard, a gay man killed by a group of teens in King’s home state of Maine in 1984. Xavier Dolan, the actor and director of films and music videos, plays a role inspired by Howard; his character, Adrian Mellon, is violently assaulted and tossed off a bridge.

Dolan, who is gay, defended the graphic nature of the sequence, calling it true to life: “The scene in the movie literally happened to a friend of mine recently. He got gay-bashed last weekend,” he said on the carpet. “He was battered and got kicked in the face. The description of how it happened is exactly like the scene that was shot in the movie. The scene was originally written in the book in the ’80s, and gay-bashing is still happening now. Gay-bashing is violent, and it’s necessary to show the violence. It’s not going to stop until we make a statement and a visual of it. So it’s great that a big movie puts it up front for people to see it, that it’s not fantasy. Andy shot it in a way that’s very direct. He was very honest about it. There was only one way to show the violence: real, and not aesthetically pleasing. People said to me it’s very hard to watch, and I want to them to realize that it’s violent.”

Another key scene in the film features Beverly being tortured by Pennywise, locked in a bathroom stall that is slowly filling with blood. Chastain said a record-breaking 4,500 gallons of fake blood—made up of a thickening agent called methylcellulose and red dye—were used in the film, much of it in that scene, which forced the actress to be submerged in the sticky substance for many hours. She gamely filmed two separate takes—falling in, swimming down while counting to five and shooting back up again.

“It was really disgusting,” Chastain laughingly said. “It’s like slime, and it was up my nose, in my ears, and stuck on my eyeballs. I kind of did have some little fears, but I was happy to do it.”

And when that spine-chilling scene was finished, Chastain couldn’t clean up; she had to remain bloody until the end of production.

“I admit that was the only miserable part. Andy had me dressed in blood for the whole end of the film,” she said. “Before every take, they had a small kiddie pool filled with the cold blood, and [they’d] pour it on me.”

The young stars of the first movie—Finn Wolfhard, Sophia Lillis, Jack Dylan Grazer, Jaeden Martell, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Chosen Jacobs, Wyatt Oleff, and Nicholas Hamilton—also return for the sequel, reprising their roles in flashbacks. Once filming wrapped, the actors were all digitally altered so that they would appear to be the same age they were while filming of the first film in 2016, for the sake of continuity.

“The first thing we did for the second movie was get our face scans,” said Oleff, who plays young Stanley. “They scanned our faces and did some magic. I haven’t seen the movie yet. I’m a little scared to hear my voice. I don’t like going back and hearing how high my voice was.”

“I’m very excited to see how they aged me down with CGI,” added Wolfhard, who plays young Richie. “At the same time, I think it’s going to be more weird to see me younger than seeing a clown eating kids!”

So having seen the original test screening which ran roughly at 190 minutes and recently seeing the finished version after the premiere, I’ll do a breakdown of the more prominent cuts/ changes made to the film later next week after most of you have seen it.

Awesome!

So having seen the original test screening which ran roughly at 190 minutes and recently seeing the finished version after the premiere, I’ll do a breakdown of the more prominent cuts/ changes made to the film later next week after most of you have seen it.

Can I ask a somewhat spoiler question?

Does it show IT's true form somewhat like the mini-series?

https://io9.gizmodo.com/theres-more-pennywise-mythology-to-explore-but-dont-ex-1837616204

Let’s paint a picture. The date is September 9. It Chapter Two has just opened to massive box office success. Warner Bros. calls director Andy Muschietti and producer Barbara Muschietti and says, “We want more It.” Would they do it? And if so, how?

That’s the question I posed the brother-sister team behind the Stephen King adaptations, the second of which opens September 6. And their answer was both encouraging but also completely understandable.

“The book, as it is, is done,” producer Barbara Muschietti told io9.

“There is a whole mythology to the book though,” added Andy Muschietti, before getting into some minor spoiler territory for those who haven’t read King’s classic clown horror tale.

“Mythology is something that always has opportunities to explore. It has been on Earth for millions of years. He’s been in contact with humans for hundreds of years, every 27 years. So you can imagine the amount of material,” Muschietti said.

He’s talking here, of course, about what It, aka Pennywise, looked like and did in the centuries before the book. Because, as is revealed in It Chapter Two, he has been in Derry, Maine for a long, long time.

He’s talking here, of course, about what It, aka Pennywise, looked like and did in the centuries before the book. Because, as is revealed in It Chapter Two, he has been in Derry, Maine for a long, long time.

“It’s always exciting to think of eventually exploring this mythology,” Muschietti continues. “It’s very exciting. But, for now, there’s nothing on the table.”

Which, in a roundabout way, answers my questions. Would they do it? Well, there’s mythology to explore and it’s exciting to think about. How? Well, they’d go back and dive into that. But it’s not something that’s happening just yet.
L
Unfortunately, my pitch for a third film was shut down immediately: Pennywise versus the dinosaurs.

“Yeah, no,” Barbara Muschietti said.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle adult Henry. If there is one criticism I have against Chapter 1 is they didn't utilize Henry to his full potential. He felt under used. Like he was not a constant threat to the Losers. I think the 1990 version did a better job with that as the Losers were constantly being harassed by Bowers in it. Much like the book.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. He's absent from large chunks of the movie whereas in the book he was almost as much of a threat to the Losers as Pennywise. That and the underdevelopment of Mike are my two biggest gripes with Chapter 1.

Hader is gonna be on Fallon's show on Sept 3rd. Hopefully there will be more promo on talk shows, the cast is hilarious, all the interviews coming from press day are so funny

New interview where Muschietti talks Post Credit Scenes and de-aging the kids.

A Cut 'It' Post-Credit Scene Wasn't Clowning Around

If you wait until the end of “It Chapter Two,” all you’re going to find is a blank screen and an empty theater. There are no post-credit scenes.

“Post-credit scenes a la Marvel normally have a very distinct function, which is tease people about a future movie,” Andy Muschietti, the director of “It Chapter Two,” told HuffPost. “But yeah, this is, like, the idea that this is over.”

Thanks to the influence of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, starting with 2008’s “Iron Man,” after-credit scenes have basically become ubiquitous among blockbuster movies. Some tease future films, such as the one in “Godzilla: King of the Monsters.” Others, such as in “Hobbs & Shaw,” seemingly just use the space to poke fun at the finale of “Game of Thrones.”

The first chapter of “It” also goes somewhat without a post-credit scene, including just a sinister laugh from Pennywise after the credits roll. But it wasn’t always going to be that way.

“Something a lot of people probably don’t know is ‘Chapter One’ did have the idea to make a post-credit scene, which was Beverly Marsh picking up the phone,” Muschietti said. “So, 27 years later, post credit, you would see a phone ringing. It’s an iPhone, so it’s impossible that it’s 1989, and a hand comes in and the camera wraps around this red-haired back of a head, and we turn around, and it’s Jessica Chastain!”

However, Barbara Muschietti, the film’s producer and Andy’s sister, said they couldn’t get the schedules together to shoot the scene with Chastain for their first installment of “It,” released in September 2017.

“We did all that we had to do to make sure that Jess was our Beverly, and then she was, so we got our wish,” Barbara Muschietti said of “It Chapter Two.”

In the new film, Chastain is joined by James McAvoy, Bill Hader, Isaiah Mustafa, Jay Ryan, James Ransone and Andy Bean as the adult versions of the Losers’ Club, who reunite to take on Pennywise one last time.

“It was very important for me to get a cast that had physical similarities to their child-like counterparts,” Andy Muschietti said.
Finding adult actors who could resemble the child actors is one thing; having the child actors resemble their younger selves is another.

“Of all the things, we had to de-age the kids,” said the director.

“We shot the first part in 2016, and these kids were 12 and 13 years old. They’re at the age where a week difference makes their voice drop, they hit puberty, suddenly their nose sticks out and they have a mustache. So three years later, we reunite with them and they had grown, some more than others. De-aging was on the table very, very early on in the talks,” he added.

The visual effects company Lola, which has worked on everything from the MCU to “Game of Thrones,” handled the de-aging process.

“It’s all about making their heads bigger. That’s the trick, that’s the proportion trick, giving them bigger melons,” Barbara Muschietti said.

A more extensive list of items to be addressed, according to Andy Muschietti, includes “bigger melon, smaller nose, rounder shoulders” and “messing up of their features a little bit.”

“I’ve seen this movie so many times. I saw ‘Chapter One,’ like 300 times. So I know where the nose of [young Eddie] Jack Grazer goes. I know where his smile is in relationship with his chin. So we did a lot of work together with Lola, but it was fun,” he said.

And now the story is over, right?

“For now,” joked the director.

Two tracks of Benjamin Wallfisch's score for the film:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back