Stranger Things (Netflix) - Part 1

[YT]BKLI6zAuhiA[/YT]

A love letter to the supernatural classics of the 80's, Stranger Things is the story of a young boy who vanishes into thin air. As friends, family and local police search for answers, they are drawn into an extraordinary mystery involving top-secret government experiments, terrifying supernatural forces and one very strange little girl.

Stranger Things stars Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Millie Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Caleb McLaughlin, Noah Schnapp, Natalia Dyer, Cara Buono, Charlie Heaton, and Matthew Modine.

I'm enjoying what I've seen so far. Funny how I wasn't keen on The Gifted from the jump and yet I've taken to this almost immediately. MaybeI can just relate to dorky kids because I was one growing up. :p
Ha. Also this starts much more strongly than The Gifted.

Very much so. I'm almost bummed I won't fit the third episode in before Walking Dead comes on. :p

Very much so. I'm almost bummed I won't fit the third episode in before Walking Dead comes on. :p

Also from your post in the last thread, yeah the police chief is going to be the new Hellboy. Really like the character and this guy should be great as Hellboy!

I hope so but Ron Perlman will be a hard act to follow. :p

Jonathan is actually my favorite character. I guess I'm in the minority. I agree he didn't get much in season 2. But Steve needed development much more than Jonathan did after season 1 so I understand. I relate to Jonathan a lot more, and I like that's he's reliable and loyal.

Jonathan is actually my favorite character. I guess I'm in the minority. I agree he didn't get much in season 2. But Steve needed development much more than Jonathan did after season 1 so I understand. I relate to Jonathan a lot more, and I like that's he's reliable and loyal.

He caught my attention, so serious looking. He reminds me of the kid who went bad in Chronicle. :)

I hope so but Ron Perlman will be a hard act to follow. :p
Yep, but this guy could be up to it.

I would have expected him to be quite popular.

tumblr_oyxvdfbfqK1u3apnvo1_500.png

He caught my attention, so serious looking. He reminds me of the kid who went bad in Chronicle. :)

I've always thought he looked like DeHaan too, much like how Joe Keery looks like Ben Schwartz.

Just got done with season 2. What a show! S2 is definitely weaker than the first especially during one of the subplots a couple of episodes before the end, but overall I've really enjoyed the whole thing and put pretty much everything else on hold to get through it.

Involving Steve with the kids was a master stroke this season.
The development of this character is one of the great things on the show.
You would think he was just the jock foil at the start of season one but he's one of my faves on the show now. I hope they continue with his mentoring of Dustin.

Involving Steve with the kids was a master stroke this season.
The development of this character is one of the great things on the show.
You would think he was just the jock foil at the start of season one but he's one of my faves on the show now. I hope they continue with his mentoring of Dustin.
I always thought that Steve was a good/interesting character, unlike the new jock on the scene. Thought that guy was going to give us a reason for his existence before the end of the season but it never happened. S3 I guess.

Glad you both are having a good time with the show.

So Ice you [BLACKOUT]didn't like the 11 side story episode? Other than it putting the finale on hold for an episode what about it struck you the wrong way? [/BLACKOUT]

I always thought that Steve was a good/interesting character, unlike the new jock on the scene. Thought that guy was going to give us a reason for his existence before the end of the season but it never happened. S3 I guess.

I think he was there partially to contrast with Steve from season one.
I too was hoping there would be more to the "mystery" of Max and Billy.
It was a pedestrian reveal to a certain extent.

Glad you both are having a good time with the show.

So Ice you [BLACKOUT]didn't like the 11 side story episode? Other than it putting the finale on hold for an episode what about it struck you the wrong way? [/BLACKOUT]

No I really liked the subplot about her mother and the background to what happened. It was the stuff with her sister and her accompanying band of idiots that I thought was a waste of time. And there was no real reason for 11 leaving in terms of seeing different morals to that group, more just deciding it's time to see and help Mike and her friends, which was the case all along anyway. It just didn't seem like it added that much to me whereas all the time spent with other characters adds plenty even when nothing is happening.

I think he was there partially to contrast with Steve from season one.
I too was hoping there would be more to the "mystery" of Max and Billy.
It was a pedestrian reveal to a certain extent.
I don't think that contrast was needed and also was quite annoying. Without any payoff to having to tolerate the character it's going to be hard to rewatch his scenes (unlike Steve's from season 1). Max and Bob were ok, but the new characters in general were disappointing.

Well
he did give us that classic exchange with Mike and Nancy's mom :cwink:

Well
he did give us that classic exchange with Mike and Nancy's mom :cwink:

Yes haha, great scene, but then he went back to being a boring **** straight after. I was really expecting that were building to something with this guy.

I don't know how some of you guys did it. I didn't watch season 1 until this past Memorial Day, so I didn't have to wait long for season 2. But now I'm hearing we might have to wait until early 2019? I'm fiending for the next chapter

Also from your post in the last thread, yeah the police chief is going to be the new Hellboy. Really like the character and this guy should be great as Hellboy!

I think he'll be great.
I'm worried about the director who doesnt have a great movie track record and then the large number of writers (4) of which a few don't seem to have been credited on a feature film before

Also, this season definitely felt more like an entry in a larger story as opposed to a story that was self-contained, but continuing, if that makes sense. They made Season 1 so it could have ended there if they needed to. It would have had a bit of a cliffhanger, but it wouldn't have been out of place for the genre ST takes place in.

This season felt even more open-ended, and less concerned with telling a story that had a more traditional beginning, middle, and end, but rather telling this part of what will likely be a 4 to 5 season tale.

Really? I feel like season 2 was just as open ended as season 1, if that. S1 had Will coughing up the slug and being transported to the upside down, Hopper jumping into the black car, and then Hopper's food drops which all set up a 2nd season. ST2 had [BLACKOUT]the Mind Flayer looking on and then the 008 story. Will is back and normal, 11 is back, Jonathan is with Nancy, and it gave most everyone a happy ending[/BLACKOUT]

I think actually both seasons tell a pretty cohesive story which they could end there. But obviously they're not.

Jonathan is cool but I'm rewatching season 1 and they really downgraded him. He wasn't a tough guy in season 1 but he knew when to fight. Fast forward to season 2, when the demadogs are descending on the Byer's house and he's just standing there. At least Mike picked up a candlestick.

I do think he's due for an "upgrade" in the Stranger Things 3. He needs to interact more with the other cast members, get more cool moments. Everyone in the cast has some "cool" or funny moments I can't think of any for Jonathan except maybe beating Steve in the first season.

Hell even when everything is going down in the 2nd season you never hear Joyce say that she needs to reach Jonathan or anything. I know there was important stuff going on but she still has another son, who to her knowledge might just be wondering where her mom and brother are.

Jonathan needs more than just being Will's brother and Nancy's boyfriend. You could've completely removed him from the 2nd season and Im pretty sure it would've all been the same except 1 detail.

Yes haha, great scene, but then he went back to being a boring **** straight after. I was really expecting that were building to something with this guy.

According to the Duffer Bros...
there was supposed to be a teen supernatural story involving Billy but that got bumped because there was too much this season. I wonder if that remnant of the Mind Flayer that flew off in the sky will get Billy next season. I also wonder if Jonathan was involved in the Supernatural plot with how little he was paid attention to this season.
. Maybe his stuff was cut out

I agree with your assessment of him though

I think he'll be great.
I'm worried about the director who doesnt have a great movie track record and then the large number of writers (4) of which a few don't seem to have been credited on a feature film before
I only heard about him being up for the role after seeing quite a bit of Stranger Things and I instantly thought it was a great call. I don't know anything else about the production. Better start catching up as I really liked the previous films.

According to the Duffer Bros...
there was supposed to be a teen supernatural story involving Billy but that got bumped because there was too much this season. I wonder if that remnant of the Mind Flayer that flew off in the sky will get Billy next season. I also wonder if Jonathan was involved in the Supernatural plot with how little he was paid attention to this season.
. Maybe his stuff was cut out

I agree with your assessment of him though

Yeah, this has to have some truth or he'll have been a huge waste of screentime.

Had no big problem with Billy. He was a villain. Everyone doesn't have to have a deep story arc. Johnny from Karate Kid doesn't have one...he's there to antagonize Daniel-san.

The other villains are much more interesting though. And he's only an antagonist for 2 less important characters until the very end, which is at odds with the amount of focus he got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"