Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - Part 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already said making niche films isn't a smart business decision pages back. It's a not smart business decision that I love because I've been in their minority niche. I couldn't care less about anybody else in these regards. So in that case all he'd be doing is repeating exactly what I said. :cwink:
And while you are holding fingers to your ears, you don't seem to realize that they won't be making these movies for very much longer. :funny:

Sounds like editing, reshoots, and studio meddling play a part here.

WB, the "filmmaker studio."

And while you are holding fingers to your ears, you don't seem to realize that they won't be making these movies for very much longer. :funny:

I can hope. Or what is that against Darth's ways too? :oldrazz:

It kills me to concede this but you're right. WB will simply not invest hundreds of millions of dollars if the films struggle to make their budget back.

BvS pacing issues clearly came from studio meddling, and it sounds like this film has pacing issues in the first half for the same reason

they need to just leave the directors alone and let the chips fall where they may. the ultimate edition of BvS was a big improvement on the theatrical version

Drew on the Harley/Joker dynamic.

There’s no way to avoid some controversy when you’re dealing with Harley Quinn and The Joker onscreen together, and there’s a lot of pent-up expectations for fans of the characters precisely because we’ve never seen Harley as a real human live-action performance. Created originally for Batman: The Animated Series, Harley has evolved a great deal over the last quarter-century, and there’s an argument to be made that over the last decade in particular, she’s become a much richer and more empowered character as she’s taken steps away from simply being part of The Joker’s storyline. That’s not the version that Ayer used, though. He shows us glimpses of Harleen Quinzel when she was still just a psychiatrist at Arkham Asylum, slowly but surely falling in love with the Joker and his madness. There are three defining moments for her that are clear examples of the Joker crossing a line into pure abuser, but I can’t get overly outraged about it. He’s The Joker. He’s not remotely meant to be heroic or a role model of any kind. This is not a relationship anyone should emulate, and frankly, I don’t want to see a healthy, loving relationship between two brutally damaged sociopaths. Harley’s choice is made before she suffers a single bit of mistreatment at the Joker’s hands, and she leans into the violence, the horror, and the cruelty. She’s not especially funny in the film, because she always seems like she’s moments away from erupting into random carnage. I would never try to defend her costume in the film as something that is empowering or that is designed to do anything but elicit a sexual response, but the Harley that is presented here is someone who is well aware of the impact she has on a room, and the more skin she shows, the more she knows that the men in that room are sloppy and stupid and paying attention to the wrong things. It's not empowering; it's just power, raw and ugly. There’s a flashback to a crazy night out with the Joker and a guest appearance by Common that is like the worst night out with a couple of swingers you can imagine. These two are both rotten, and even in her few decent and human moments in this film, Harley is still driven by her own compulsive nature. She doesn’t need the Joker around to be a horrible human being, but when the two of them are together, they take it to another level.
Read more at http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captur...but-it-just-might-save-dc#YC5vJYzRg8uK9SDh.99

LOL! Oh, DC... When will the fans ever learn...

Welp. That's it for me.

I can see Cyborg's movie getting cut, along with Shazam. The Flash and Batman are for sure, especially with the Flash's recent boost in popularity. Aquaman, meh. I'm not excited for it, but lets hope JL gives us a good first taste.

if that's the case then they are stupid. these movies are still profitable and characters like Batman will continue to be a big box office draw for a long time, regardless of what the critics say

i agree the situation could be better but there's no reason to panic about the franchise just yet

Sooo...

Who's going to open the "What Went Wrong With Suicide Squad" thread?

hteCTWc.gif

What is it with you and unrelated gifs?

It kills me to concede this but you're right. WB will simply not invest hundreds of millions of dollars if the films struggle to make their budget back.
Yet they've continued to do it for the last few years. The money they've sunk into films like Jupiter Ascending, Pan, Point Break, Tarzan, and the upcoming King Arthur is astounding. At least with the DC projects they have a chance at making money at some point. These other ones are literally just throwing away 100 million dollars each time. Tsujihara is pretty much finished though ... Fantastic Beasts might be the final nail in his coffin if it underperforms.

Drew on the Harley/Joker dynamic.

um... harley isn't meant to be empowering, she's a tragic character who has been abused

i know she's recently in comics broken away somewhat from joker's control but its far to early to introduce that arc for the movie version

I can see Cyborg's movie getting cut, along with Shazam. The Flash and Batman are for sure, especially with the Flash's recent boost in popularity. Aquaman, meh. I'm not excited for it, but lets hope JL gives us a good first taste.
They'll probably keep Aquaman and Flash but after 2018, it's anyone's guess as to what films see the light of day. They will most likely settle on a Batman solo along with a potential JL sequel.

BvS pacing issues clearly came from studio meddling, and it sounds like this film has pacing issues in the first half for the same reason

they need to just leave the directors alone and let the chips fall where they may. the ultimate edition of BvS was a big improvement on the theatrical version
I watched the Extended Cut. The studio should have interfered more.

if that's the case then they are stupid. these movies are still profitable and characters like Batman will continue to be a big box office draw for a long time, regardless of what the critics say

i agree the situation could be better but there's no reason to panic about the franchise just yet
Three poorly reviewed films in a row and there is no reason to panic. And the audiences disliked BvS and were harshly divided on MOS so no one can claim that audiences are saving these films.

Yet they've continued to do it for the last few years. The money they've sunk into films like Jupiter Ascending, Pan, Point Break, Tarzan, and the upcoming King Arthur is astounding. At least with the DC projects they have a chance at making money at some point. These other ones are literally just throwing away 100 million dollars. Tsujihara is pretty much finished though ... Fantastic Beasts might be the final nail in his coffin if it underperforms.
And that's why I expect the executives to be leaving soon. WB's business has been abysmal these last few years.

I'm still hyped for Joker and Harley and I'm sure I'll love their scenes

I just really hope if WB changes up things we keep a lot of the actors. I absolutely love Margot, Jared, Viola, Batfleck. I assume they won't and this will do gang busters at the box office, but just saying... I love a lot of these characters themselves

Sounds like editing, reshoots, and studio meddling play a part here.

WB, the "filmmaker studio."

Actually a lot of these reviews are what I expected to see if it was even close to the movie I wanted it to be. 'Sabotage' on a big scale. Not fun. Repugnant characters. Not funny. Awkward shameful laughter. Entertaining due to how messed up these characters are, but not a light hearted ride at all. So I was prepared, if it went the route I hoped for. Think it still would have been met this way or worse without studio controlling it. 'Sabotage' is far from an audience or critic friendly film due to the character work by Ayer that I desperately wanted back here and seem to have gotten. Next thing I want is parents complaining that the characters are too morally reprehensible, then I'll be/feel golden before seeing it. Oddly enough.

Last edited:

I'm most fascinated by Wan and Aquaman. With his horror background I'm really looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table in a Lovecraftian sense.

Momoa looking like a total badass in that JL footage also helped.

Three poorly reviewed films in a row and there is no reason to panic. And the audiences disliked BvS and were harshly divided on MOS so no one can claim that audiences are saving these films.

the "no reason to panic" was specifically in response to the idea that the franchise will be imminently canceled, which is far from evident

feel free to panic about this particular film if that's your thing, its not mine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"