Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
What exactly is the real deal though? We're talking about a financially succesful movie getting an extended cut on home video. There are many many cases of this happening with films all over.

Take off my fanboy blinders? Really? Just wow, pot kettle mate.

I think the doom scenarios of people staying at home because the real deal will come out on home media are a little overwrought. A big chunk of the general audience is blissfully unaware of the drama behind the scenes at DC. We live in a bubble where every little piece of news generates pages of discussion, but most people see a movie... like it/don't like it, maybe buy it on iTunes and move on with their lives.

I think the doom scenarios of people staying at home because the real deal will come out on home media are a little overwrought. A big chunk of the general audience is blissfully unaware of the drama behind the scenes at DC. We live in a bubble where every little piece of news generates pages of discussion, but most people see a movie... like it/don't like it, maybe buy it on iTunes and move on with their lives.

Yup, it's only people like us who dissect these films and their production. Most people just see a film and decide if they like it or not.

What exactly is the real deal though? We're talking about a financially succesful movie getting an extended cut on home video. There are many many cases of this happening with films all over.

Take off my fanboy blinders? Really? Just wow, pot kettle mate.

I can't discuss with people that think that there's a conspiracy against DC movies and don't understand that people while they love these characters, wanted better films out of WB. I'm hopeful that Geoff Johns will make the films more well rounded to the point of these characters live up to their true potential. I'm a fan of both DC and Marvel. One of my all time favorite films is TDK and Superman. So yeah, not looking for an worthless discussion.

I can't discuss with people that think that there's a conspiracy against DC movies and don't understand that people while they love these characters, wanted better films out of WB. I'm hopeful that Geoff Johns will make the films more well rounded to the point of these characters live up to their true potential. I'm a fan of both DC and Marvel. One of my all time favorite films is TDK and Superman. So yeah, not looking for an worthless discussion.

Where did I say there was a conspiracy? I'm simply pointing out that it's not hilarious that WBs are doing an extended cut. If anything it's pretty normal for a film to get an extended cut on home video.

It's obvious they aren't happy with the critical reception for these films but they're clearly happy with the financial aspect of these films theatrically and on home video. Geoff John's appointment as the head of (or whatever his title is) the DCEU is obviously a reaction to the critical aspect but the extended cut is clearly a way for them to give people more of a financially succesful film, whilst making more money in the process.

You're the one whose turning this discussion into something it isn't.

^This!

I highly suggest that people discuss the movie SUICIDE SQUAD....and NOT other posters. I also suggest that people immediately stop the stupid DC v MARVEL crap...at this moment one person is on probation, that number can grow real quick. If you can't post civilly then do not post.

I wouldn't even mind the extended cut if the version they put in theaters wasn't obviously hacked to pieces.
Scenes get deleted, I get it. That's fine. But if the same thing happens to Wonder Woman, where we get a mess released in theaters and then the "real" version on DVD, then I can't imagine why anyone would even bother going to these movies when they can't bother to get a complete version on the big screen.

Out of all the DCEU films so far, they at least managed to finish Man of Steel. They put out a complete and coherent film on their first try and have somehow managed NOT to do that every other film.

I still think they should have had Superman been the one to capture Killer Croc. They could have done a really cool scene like the scene in Dark Knight Returns where stops Nazi Boobs. So you don't see him but you see the S symbol and he moves so quick it's flashes of colour. All it would have needed was a line from Amanda Waller about how "Croc was one of the last acts that Superman made" after all she already said that Batman ran him out of Gotham.

I'm going to be one of those people and chime in here.

This type of practice is basically WB's taking their audience for a ride like what many studios in the gaming industry do, releasing half finished products then promising the full gameplay with a DLC later on. Whether you like SS or BvS or not the issue is WB clearly aren't standing behind the theatrical releases of their movies and are taking you for a ride. In other words, what they are essentially saying to the you consumer is they have better versions of the film completed, but they are not going to release them until after you've seen a watered down version. It's a BS business tactic and anyone who falls in line with this is doing nothing but rewarding them for bad behaviours.

I wouldn't even mind the extended cut if the version they put in theaters wasn't obviously hacked to pieces.
Scenes get deleted, I get it. That's fine. But if the same thing happens to Wonder Woman, where we get a mess released in theaters and then the "real" version on DVD, then I can't imagine why anyone would even bother going to these movies when they can't bother to get a complete version on the big screen.

Out of all the DCEU films so far, they at least managed to finish Man of Steel. They put out a complete and coherent film on their first try and have somehow managed NOT to do that every other film.

If the same happens with Wonder Woman with bad reviews/critique re editing and directors visions not been met, then I think we can start to say it's problem. That I will agree with.

Except, Marvel also gave in to fan demands and retconned Mandarin in Marvel One-Shots ("All hail the King")

That was kind of apology to fans for "Mandarin Twist".

And I didn't like it either. I hate reactionary storytelling plain and simple.
And I firmly hate reactionary cuts.

Good thing I didnt go watch poor version of Suicide Squad in cinema and spend unecessary dollars when I knew or had feeling we would get extended cut few months later. And I also wouldnt have mixed feelings about movie like with BvS. Hated theatrical cut and liked extended cut.

I wouldnt be suprised if I do same with Wonder Women.

I'm going to be one of those people and chime in here.

This type of practice is basically WB's taking their audience for a ride like what many studios in the gaming industry do, releasing half finished products then promising the full gameplay with a DLC later on. Whether you like SS or BvS or not the issue is WB clearly aren't standing behind the theatrical releases of their movies and are taking you for a ride. In other words, what they are essentially saying to the you consumer is they have better versions of the film completed, but they are not going to release them until after you've seen a watered down version. It's a BS business tactic and anyone who falls in line with this is doing nothing but rewarding them for bad behaviours.

That's not really the issue.

Last edited:
That's not really the issue.

Well it is. If someone wasn't really too sure about how they felt about SS after watching it in theatre then this practice becomes a temptation to purchase in the hopes it fixes things with the movie.

I think the problem are the executives at WB who read these reviews and complaints and think they can "fix" the movie. They ask for reshoots, they invite a Trailer company to edit the movie as they please and you get this big mess of crap.

Good thing I didnt go watch poor version of Suicide Squad in cinema and spend unecessary dollars when I knew or had feeling we would get extended cut few months later. And I also wouldnt have mixed feelings about movie like with BvS. Hated theatrical cut and liked extended cut.

I wouldnt be suprised if I do same with Wonder Women.

Hold on, we're not sure if this EC will be any better. :D This really should be it. No more studio meddling please. No more bad editing. Just leave the directors do their bloody job. Who ever is responsible for all of this - Stay away from "Wonder Woman" and "Justice League".

Well it is. If someone wasn't really too sure about how they felt about SS after watching it in theatre then this practice becomes a temptation to purchase in the hopes it fixes things with the movie.

Movies and videogames aren't the same. It just doesn't work the same way. And they didn't release an unfinished product, while promising a 'full movie' later on.

There will always be deleted scenes. Doesn't mean a movie is incomplete. In the case of Suicide Squad, there was heavy studio meddling going on, and for Batman V Superman the studio demanded that the movie would not be longer than 150 minutes.

If the new cut improves the movie (as was the case with Batman V Superman), well... so be it, then. If not, who cares if there's a longer cut on the same Blu-ray as the theatrical cut?

And like someone else already said. No one among the general audience will be tempted to buy a movie just because 'Extended Cut' is written on the cover. They barely even buy movies they've really liked anymore.

The people who buy it would've bought the movie anyway.

So these things are more goodies for the fans, rather than anything else.

Glad we are getting an extended edition. Was initially hoping for more than 13 mins but that's plenty of time when I have thought about it. I enjoyed the movie as is the chance to see more is good news for me.

:whatever:

If that were the case, we would've never gotten the Blade Runner Director's Cut.

Or The Abyss Special Edition.

Or the True Romance Director's cut.

Or, the Batman V Superman Ultimate Edition.

But fortunately, those cuts weren't left to rot in some dusty archives, and instead saw the light of the day. For us to enjoy.

So, I get that bashing Warner Bros and DC is the 'cool' thing to do right now, but I don't really see the point of your complaints.

Blade Runner is a perfect example of why I hate these things. Although maybe the main difference between SS/BvS and Blade runner is that the Director's Cut was released 10 years after the movie opened in theaters not 4 months (and it was an actual dc, not an extended/ultimate edition). The thing is there's been at least 5 different versions of that film (theatrical, theatrical international, TV, director's cut and final cut, iirc). In my opinion this process, not matter the studio mind you, borders on cultural/artistic/commercial revisionism. Once your film is out, it's out it doesn't belong to you anymore and you have very little ground to alter it. Blade Runner's director's cut is a slightly different animal in that instance as its Scott's original 1982 vision and very close to the first version that was screen to test audiences (and I highly doubt we're getting Ayer's cut with that extended version of SS) but the final cut released in 2007 is pure cash grab that simply shouldn't exist, and neither should the other cuts.

Finally please bear in mind that I am not complaining as I will not get anywhere near any version of that movie. I don't think bashing DC is cool either and I think playing the bashing card is a fairly dishonest way to discard one's arguments (but one I'm used to by now). I'm just calling it as I see it. Now if DC fans are OK with WB releasing a work in progress in theaters and then are ready to wait in line to pay for the finished version in BR/DVD/VOD more power to them. I happen to think it shows very little artistic integrity. Especially with the all "director driven" cinematic universe ******** narrative they're still trying to push. Everything surrounding the DCEU from the films' reception to the home video releases reminds me so much of the Star Wars prelogy and how Lucasfilm handled the SE release of the original trilogy it's absolutely crazy. It's a real blast from the past.

Last edited:
Batman V Superman: Ultimate Edition is also Zack Snyder's original vision.

And I generally agree with you about alternate cuts and extended editions being pointless, but there are cases in which they are not. And I've got no problem with Blade Runner's Final Cut.

Movies and videogames aren't the same. It just doesn't work the same way. And they didn't release an unfinished product, while promising a 'full movie' later on.

There will always be deleted scenes. Doesn't mean a movie is incomplete. In the case of Suicide Squad, there was heavy studio meddling going on, and for Batman V Superman the studio demanded that the movie would not be longer than 150 minutes.

If the new cut improves the movie (as was the case with Batman V Superman), well... so be it, then. If not, who cares if there's a longer cut on the same Blu-ray as the theatrical cut?

And like someone else already said. No one among the general audience will be tempted to buy a movie just because 'Extended Cut' is written on the cover. They barely even buy movies they've really liked anymore.

The people who buy it would've bought the movie anyway.

So these things are more goodies for the fans, rather than anything else.

Whether you like it or not some people who are on the fence about this film or BvS are going to buy these extended cuts hoping they fix the movies because they so desperately want to like them. That's additional sales from people who otherwise wouldn't have likely purchased the bluray.

The thing is if they see this is something they can get away with they will continue to release watered down versions of their movies and then promising an extended cut on bluray. Essentially then they don't have to worry about bad reviews or the quality of the theatrical release anymore if they see a pattern where by the extended cut home video sales are offsetting any losses at the box office. So whilst not exactly like the video game industry, it's heading down a familiar path.

So is the version that amazon is selling that comes with a harley quinn statue going to have the extended edition?

I guess I can understand the trepidation some have, but, to me at least, I think its better to do this then not. I would be severely bummed if WB just sat on all that footage for it to never see the light of day. The fans win at the end of the day. People who liked the movie (like myself) may end up liking or maybe even loving it more. People who were mixed may appreciate the extra scenes if it adds depth to the film. People who did not like it on a whole will not have their opinion changed. To me, this hurts nobody. In fact, this is better than what Fox did with X-Men DOFP where they released the TC film and said "but wait...there's MORE, we have a special edition coming...NEXT year!" That's double dipping and I am not for that. At least WB is releasing these versions upfront and giving people the option to watch the EC or the TC.

I guess I can understand the trepidation some have, but, to me at least, I think its better to do this then not. I would be severely bummed if WB just sat on all that footage for it to never see the light of day. The fans win at the end of the day. People who liked the movie (like myself) may end up liking or maybe even loving it more. People who were mixed may appreciate the extra scenes if it adds depth to the film. People who did not like it on a whole will not have their opinion changed. To me, this hurts nobody. In fact, this is better than what Fox did with X-Men DOFP where they released the TC film and said "but wait...there's MORE, we have a special edition coming...NEXT year!" That's double dipping and I am not for that. At least WB is releasing these versions upfront and giving people the option to watch the EC or the TC.

Exactly, it's just a smart business decision at the end of the day. The BvS UE was a masks be succes on home video so they're continuing that trend. People are quick to forget the studios want to make money.

SS Ultimate Cut will directly compete against Jason Bourne and JB is providing lots of special features with the Blu-Ray. It'll be an interesting battle between the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"