Suicide Squad: General Discussion and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, this hurts nobody. In fact, this is better than what Fox did with X-Men DOFP where they released the TC film and said "but wait...there's MORE, we have a special edition coming...NEXT year!" That's double dipping and I am not for that. At least WB is releasing these versions upfront and giving people the option to watch the EC or the TC.

I think it would have made more sense had Fox just done what they did later with the Rogue Cut by including the Theatrical edition bundled with the Rogue edition.

I think it would have made more sense had Fox just done what they did later with the Rogue Cut by including the Theatrical edition bundled with the Rogue edition.

Why?

This way you don't have to double dip, if you're curious about an extended cut.

They already bundled the new cut with the theatrical version from the get-go.

My personal feelings on Extended cuts....I like them. I have ECs of many movies on DVD. Not a single one of them made the movie worse. Some made the movie extremely better. I enjoy watching ECs.

My personal feelings on Extended cuts....I like them. I have ECs of many movies on DVD. Not a single one of them made the movie worse. Some made the movie extremely better. I enjoy watching ECs.

same here.

I'd be a little more intrigued if it was a director's cut, but I'm getting it nonetheless.

Why?

This way you don't have to double dip, if you're curious about an extended cut.

They already bundled the new cut with the theatrical version from the get-go.

I mean at first. Rather than the Rogue Cut coming out almost half a year Days of Future Past was released by itself, just have it available combined with the theatrical version from the start

Oh my, I meant to quote a post but accidentally reported it, mods erase/ignore my report please :s

I hope there are still a bunch of bonus features and alternate scenes, but how much room can even be left when they have two versions of the movie on one disc

Oh my, I meant to quote a post but accidentally reported it, mods erase/ignore my report please :s

I hope there are still a bunch of bonus features and alternate scenes, but how much room can even be left when they have two versions of the movie on one disc

You can get a hell of alot of content on a blu ray

Pre-ordered the steelbook, intrigued to see how the cut works with the inserted Joker/Quinn scenes and how that changes the flow of the flashback montage about Harley.

I guess I can understand the trepidation some have, but, to me at least, I think its better to do this then not. I would be severely bummed if WB just sat on all that footage for it to never see the light of day. The fans win at the end of the day. People who liked the movie (like myself) may end up liking or maybe even loving it more. People who were mixed may appreciate the extra scenes if it adds depth to the film. People who did not like it on a whole will not have their opinion changed. To me, this hurts nobody. In fact, this is better than what Fox did with X-Men DOFP where they released the TC film and said "but wait...there's MORE, we have a special edition coming...NEXT year!" That's double dipping and I am not for that. At least WB is releasing these versions upfront and giving people the option to watch the EC or the TC.

:up:

Same here, end of the day it the EC isn't your preferred version they normally release it with the TC so you can always watch the other version.

I like extended/director/uncut/unrated cuts too. It's a good compromise.

I like extended/director's cuts, but they oftentimes make me really annoyed with the theatrical cuts, BvS's and SS's theatrical cuts never should've existed in the first place. It makes me seriously worried that the same BS could happen to WW, which would be a huge shame, I don't want to have to wait for an extended edition to see what the director wanted to release in the first place.

Come on. In most cases the main reason for trimming/re-editing movies - to maximize BO. Sometimes it makes movies better. For example, LOTR trilogy. Sometimes it makes movies worse - Blade Runner, Aliens. Having an extended cut a few months later is a good alternative, than not having anything at all.

I like extended/director's cuts, but they oftentimes make me really annoyed with the theatrical cuts, BvS's and SS's theatrical cuts never should've existed in the first place. It makes me seriously worried that the same BS could happen to WW, which would be a huge shame, I don't want to have to wait for an extended edition to see what the director wanted to release in the first place.

Regarding Batman V Superman's theatrical cut, I can understand that the studio wants a shorter movie. It happens all the time. I think the biggest mistake was getting attached to the wrong scenes.

As cool as it is, the Knightmare sequence could've been cut out. If not that, at least Flash from the Future sequence could've been removed, to make space for something else, as well as the Justice League tease.

Of course the scenes from the UE would have to be shortened (and not everything is absolutely necessary if you've got a time constraint), but much of stuff from the first half of the movie is very important for the story, and should've been kept in, as well as Superman's character defining moments.

Anyway, it doesn't matter anymore. I'm glad we got the Ultimate Edition, and I enjoy that version of the movie so much.

Well, can't say I'm really that surprised about this. 14 minutes is good enough. I just..really really hope it's not the same version with 14 minutes added. It needs to be a totally different cut of the film for me to care about it.

BVS's reputation wouldn't have been improved had the extended cut been released theatrically. There were minor improvements in there, but the difference between the two is not as extreme as a lot of folks have made it out to be.

SS, however, I could buy that a different edit would make all the difference in the world.

BVS's reputation wouldn't have been improved had the extended cut been released theatrically. There were minor improvements in there, but the difference between the two is not as extreme as a lot of folks have made it out to be.

SS, however, I could buy that a different edit would make all the difference in the world.

That's in your opinion though. For a lot of people it changed the movie into a completely different film.

BVS's reputation wouldn't have been improved had the extended cut been released theatrically. There were minor improvements in there, but the difference between the two is not that extreme.

I don't know. I found myself to be uttlery confused and bored during the first half of the movie, and things only started to get interesting once the courthouse went boom.

When I watched the Ultimate Edition I was completely immersed in the story, and very intrigued by the mounting paranoia surrounding both Superman and Batman, and Lex's plan.

And that's because the story finally made sense (and kudos to Chris Terrio for the script, it actually IS a well-written one), and the characters were fleshed out.

I'm not sure about that with BvS, the added Clark Kent footage and elaboration on Lex's plan was hardly a minor change, that alongside the minor additions can go a long way for some people, and more people changed their minds in response to the UE than I expected, it still probably wouldn't have gotten a great reception, but I think it might've at least gotten closer to MoS's reception.

According to ChrisB the extended cut is unrated, so no opportunity to whine about DC going the R rated route again.

It always seemed odd to me that Suicide Squad was rated PG-13 anyway, considering that Ayer is a director and writer that is known for his hard R violent vulgar crime films. I'm assuming they cut out more of the bloodier scenes, some of which will hopefully be featured in the extended cut (I doubt all of the violent scenes will be included though).

Last edited:
Well, can't say I'm really that surprised about this. 14 minutes is good enough. I just..really really hope it's not the same version with 14 minutes added. It needs to be a totally different cut of the film for me to care about it.

This. the film doesn't just need some added scenes and couple editing changes, it needs an overhaul in the editing room.

It always seemed odd to me that Suicide Squad was rated PG-13 anyway, considering that Ayer is a director and writer that is known for his hard R violent vulgar crime films. I'm assuming they cut out more of the bloodier scenes, some of which will hopefully be featured in the extended cut (I doubt all of the violent scenes will be included though).

Nah. He knew it was PG-13 from the get-go (everyone does, before filming starts) and shot it as intended for PG-13.

Ah...skipped through all the arguing.

Has anyone deciphered what new scenes we are getting based on the teaser, and any news on whether they'd re-order some scenes?

I see they will release the motorcycle stuff with Harley, any footage on Joker v Skwad finale?

We better get a longer Batman chase scene with Harley and Joker. The TC version was WAY too short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"