Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've loved both the casting of Anne Hathaway and Gal Gadot in their respective roles, so I think DC casts their characters very well. The only actress I have misgivings about is Katie Cassidy as Laurel Lance in Arrow.

I've never seen Melissa Benoist in anything before, so I'll wait until I see her as Supergirl. Admittedly, she doesn't strike me immediately as Kara, but we'll see.

But you'd have still hit that right? :cwink:
I didn't mean for that to come off as putting down the looks of an obviously beautiful woman. Just that the type of blonde they went with in the FF movies didn't suit her.

I didn't mean for that to come off as putting down the looks of an obviously beautiful woman. Just that the type of blonde they went with in the FF movies didn't suit her.

Haha I know, I was just trying to have a little fun with you

I think Anne Hathaway was fine as cat woman but didn't like the costume...

She actually looks fine with a dirty shade of blonde. The problem with the FF movies is that they tried to white wash her to make her look related to Chris Evans, when she has olive skin and brown eyes and clearly looks like a Latina. She didn't look natural. But she does look more natural as a blonde in other movies she's in where she's not trying to be something else.

While I don't disagree with Alba was miscast and her hair work did not help. . . I really have to disagree with the idea that they "looked completely unrelated." We're not talking "Keanu Reeves and Denzel Washington are brothers"; lots of actual siblings have differences in hair and skin tone well within the range between Albe and Evans.

SMG is a natural brunette too but she looks great as Buffy with blond hair

She does and Im sure many can list several actresses on here. I still think that most brunettes however dont. I think doing the blonde look is harder to pull off than the other way around

I've never seen Melissa Benoist in anything before, so I'll wait until I see her as Supergirl. Admittedly, she doesn't strike me immediately as Kara, but we'll see.

Well, you know many fans think Gal Gadot is not the ideal Wonder Woman because she doesn't have blue eyes, enough acting experience, etc. I'm giving her a chance because she's very charismatic (as WW should be) and Snyder is very good with casting. Melissa has more acting experience and has the look overall, once she's blonde, she will look more like Kara, while Gal will be our brown eyed Diana. ;)

Question: why don't people think Melissa can pull off 'mousy' (which is how we know Kara is [initially, at least] going to be characterized in the show)?

I haven't seen anyone express doubt that she can pull off being mousy. On the contrary, the doubts I've seen are that she won't be credible in moving beyond mousy. I've yet to see her act in anything, so I reserve judgment about how she'll do in the role.

I dont get that from that post at all. There really isnt much said there and its very open without any clarification. One can take that same quote and infer that there's doubt that she can play a strong lead or that she can play a powerhouse. Having only seen her on Glee, I have a hard time picturing her in the role as well. I will need to see her in action before making final judgement. I did like her for what its worth.

^^^
I read that quote, in the context of the conversation that was going on, as saying she doesn't immediately look the Kara of the comic books in that person's opinion. Nothing to do with whether she can play a mousy character.

The second I see Helen Slater in the role, I say "Yes, I believe this is Supergirl" the same when I first saw Laura Vandervoort, I didn't doubt for a second. I just know these things immediately. That's what a Supergirl casting SHOULD be, not all this "Well, let's wait and see, maybe she'll be alright."

^ This quote from Dark Raven gives the impression that there's doubt about her being able to play mousy:

I didn't mention anything about mousy. The only thing I mentioned in relation to being mousy is how Natalie Dormer has a mousy smirk. But that was in a different thread and not related to Supergirl whatsoever.

And mousy is not even an adjective that comes to mind when I think of Supergirl, so why would that even cross my mind about whether Melissa Benoist can play that or not. It doesn't even factor into the equation.

Last edited:
The second I see Helen Slater in the role, I say "Yes, I believe this is Supergirl" the same when I first saw Laura Vandervoort, I didn't doubt for a second. I just know these things immediately. That's what a Supergirl casting SHOULD be, not all this "Well, let's wait and see, maybe she'll be alright."
Has there ever been a casting decision you were initially unsure of that turned out really well in the end?

Has there ever been a casting decision you were initially unsure of that turned out really well in the end?

There have been a couple I thought I would hate, but turned out to feel okay about but is that what we want in a casting? No, we want them to "nail it". At least I do. That's the casting director's job.

We want them to turn out better than okay, but sometimes people who aren't immediately obvious choices for a part turn out not just okay, but great in the role. And when that happens the casting director has nailed it.

Nailing a casting is not just about the right hair color or cheekbones, otherwise, Grant Gustin would've never been cast. The producers involved have been right with most of their casting choices for Arrow and The Flash, so time will tell if they were right about Melissa too.

is that what we want in a casting? No, we want them to "nail it". That's the casting director's job.

No, the casting director's job is to find the person that he/she and the producers feel will do the best job in the role in question. What fans/audiences might think means diddly squat.

Benoist got the role because Rappaport and the producers feel she will do the best job of giving them exactly what they want from the character of Kara... ergo, Rappaport did exactly what he was hired to do.

I've loved both the casting of Anne Hathaway and Gal Gadot in their respective roles, so I think DC casts their characters very well. The only actress I have misgivings about is Katie Cassidy as Laurel Lance in Arrow.

what about Candace Patton as Iris in The Flash?... I think she's all wrong...

I think Anne Hathaway was fine as cat woman but didn't like the costume...

they were going for the look of the original Catwoman costume of Julie Newmar from the 60's Batman tv show...

what about Candace Patton as Iris in The Flash?... I think she's all wrong...

Forgot about her. I'm not overly fond of her, but I do like Joe West. I guess he could have been unrelated to her, or she could've been someone else other than Iris, who is basically Barry's sister in that series.

I really hope Supergirl doesn't go round in a Smallville-esque Clark outfit (ie red jacket, blue jeans etc).

I liked Anne's Catwoman costume. It suited the Nolanverse. Halle's Catwoman costume was terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"