Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - - - Part 12

I don't think there will be a season 2 of The Stand, but I could be wrong. Isn't it a miniseries

Of all the CW shows (at least the superhero shows) Flash, for me, is the one show that could become a sort of Legacy show, so whilst the story of Barry Allen/Gustin Grant could be wrapped up within 8 or 10 seasons, there's nothing to stop the show from continuing on with a different/reformed Wally West, or even a Bart Allen.

Iris can become the Flash if it's a legacy show. Then if someone else tries to say "we are the Flash", she'll simply say now "No, I am the Flash!"

The CW Justice League is truly doomed.

I assumed the “Justice League” stuff at the end of Crisis was more like a fan service-y tease or homage. I didn’t take it as a promise that we’d see this full team-up often, soon — or even at all. At most, this “League” would serve as the background premise for why one hero could now guest star on another show.

Since Kara isn't going to be around anymore to visit her friend Kate Kane, they might as well kill off that version of Batwoman. Say that Alice was able to get her revenge or that Captain Kane killed Batwoman.

Since Kara isn't going to be around anymore to visit her friend Kate Kane, they might as well kill off that version of Batwoman. Say that Alice was able to get her revenge or that Captain Kane killed Batwoman.

Their "friendship" aint that important that one needs die lol

I just hope the show can go out on a high note. I've more or less enjoyed the first 4 seasons, but last season was quite lackluster which I think is playing a part in them deciding on season 6 being the last.

Just hasn't been officially greenlit. I imagine that had there been no pandemic, we might have gotten more news about it earlier, but then, Superman & Lois was green lit, so who knows? I know both Katie Cassidy and Juliana Harkavy have been optimistic about a green light, but again, that was earlier in the year and in a bit of last year before we got to where we are now. As far as we know, the CW hasn't necessarily passed on it, but it's just in some weird holding pattern.
I think Green Arrow and the Canaries is dead, Kat McNamara keeps signing on for several movie projects and is likely going to lead season 2 of The Stand.

Katherine McNamara - IMDb
Honestly the Canaries spinoff is one of the shows we really don't need, nor is there really any call for at all. If something is made of it, I don't foresee it being a long show.

You've got characters in here that don't exist, and others that are linked to specific characters that're now ... dead.

I assumed the “Justice League” stuff at the end of Crisis was more like a fan service-y tease or homage. I didn’t take it as a promise that we’d see this full team-up often, soon — or even at all. At most, this “League” would serve as the background premise for why one hero could now guest star on another show.
Oh I know it was a tease, but one that presumably would feature and focus in future crossovers, except now half the characters involved aren't going to be around.

One of the reasons the CW shows aren't all that sometimes I think - too much fan service and a lack of good story telling. Fans (of that sort) get a kick from short term developments, whereas a good show, character or story require good writing and not caving in to keep some people happy.

That's why films typically are received harder one way or the other; they're one big thing and once they're out, they're out. There's no script changing or whatever mid way through a season.

Campea says the wording by Deadline is basically code for Supergirl getting Cancelled by The CW.
I agree. We've seen the trades word cancellation like this before.

I just hope the show can go out on a high note. I've more or less enjoyed the first 4 seasons, but last season was quite lackluster which I think is playing a part in them deciding on season 6 being the last.

I suspect the best way to write out Supergirl from the CW-verse is to have her go to the future with the Legion and Mon-El in the end.

They ended Supergirl on Smallville and in the Timm-verse the same way.

Why would the CW cancel Supergirl though? And is Batwoman doing so well? Why don't they cancel that too?

is it being "cancelled" or did the show just run its course an is coming to an end? cause there is a difference

Last edited:
The ratings last season were fine, and they haven't even seen how the new season does. Benoist probably just wants out.

Seems like none of these CW DC shows are going 10 seasons like Smallville. Even Arrow only went for 8, and that last one was abridged.

I hope Lex Luthor will go over to Superman and Lois.

The ratings last season were fine, and they haven't even seen how the new season does. Benoist probably just wants out.

The fact that even the Trades mentioned the show's declining ratings in this news piece .... means they are probably a significant factor affecting this decision.

Check out the declines; List of Supergirl episodes - Wikipedia

The Season 5 finale only pulling in 0.65M during a pandemic when people are home anyway....can't be good.

Seems like none of these CW DC shows are going 10 seasons like Smallville. Even Arrow only went for 8, and that last one was abridged.

Smallville had bigtime ratings though, so I understand why it went that long. I think The Flash is being positioned to top it, it's CW's flagship show.

Theoretically, Flash could even continue without Gustin. Flash is a legacy title. Wally or Bart could take the mantle for a season or so, if Grant wants to scale back.

Last edited:
The fact that even the Trades mentioned the show's declining ratings in this news piece .... means they are probably a significant factor affecting this decision.

Check out the declines; List of Supergirl episodes - Wikipedia

The Season 5 finale only pulling in 0.65M during a pandemic when people are home anyway....can't be good.

There were other shows that were renewed last season that really weren't doing any better. And that's the thing, those ratings were from last season and it got renewed with them. Now it's getting cancelled for next season when it hasn't aired yet and they don't need to make a decision yet?

Maybe Benoist's (or the actors in general) asking price for contract renewal is too high, but I don't see any reason why they all of a sudden would decide the ratings just aren't good.

Most of the shows on The CW have taken dives in the ratings these last couple seasons. And across most broadcast networks in fact. SG wasn't special in that regard. It's mainly due to changing viewing models. The CW's rankings for last season:

By demo -
Cw Rankings.jpg

By viewers -
CWrankingsViewership.jpg

SG was right in the middle of the network's rankings, above several shows that aren't ending. That's nowhere near cancellation territory for a network like CW that barely cancels even their lowest-rated shows. I'm sure this decision came down to contract renewals, as we've known for a long time that Melissa's original contract was different from the CW usual because the show started at CBS.

Last edited:
Honestly the Canaries spinoff is one of the shows we really don't need, nor is there really any call for at all. If something is made of it, I don't foresee it being a long show.

You've got characters in here that don't exist, and others that are linked to specific characters that're now ... dead.

Tbf technically there really isn’t a call for any show.

I’d like to see it cause I liked the back for pilot they made for it.

Campea says the wording by Deadline is basically code for Supergirl getting Cancelled by The CW.
Why would the CW cancel Supergirl though? And is Batwoman doing so well? Why don't they cancel that too?
is it being "cancel" or did the show just run its course an is coming to an end? cause there is a difference
It's no secret that Melissa was tied to a six season contract, and she's probably just decided she's ready to move on.

The term or phrase cancelled is thrown around too much with tv series; it probably hasn't been cancelled as far as a CW decision goes, but rather it'll be wrapped up because the lead has decided to call it a day.

Supergirl can't be the legacy show that Flash could be, and a lot of future Supergirl stories could be modified for the Superman show.

Flash will likely be the first (and last) CWDC show to get the ten seasons. I can't see any other show managing it.

That's almost a given really isn't it? He'll be the reoccurring seasonal villain, it's just on this occasion he'll know all too well who Clark Kent is.

Lena may play a part in the Superman show, and I'd be surprised if John doesn't get reoccurring roles. There's really no need for anyone else though, so we can wave goodbye to Alex, Brainy, Nia etc

That's because the actors choose to move on. Amell wanted out at 7 seasons and was talked into tge 8th with $$$$

And the ratings may be generally fine, but not fine when it comes to the cost of production of SG. "Fine" for one show isn't "fine" for SG. It's hard to compare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"