Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh looks meh. Got a Sex and City vibe going on buy don't think it works really well. We'll see.

say-what17.gif

Sex and the city vibe? What the **** hahaha. I don't remember anyone on sex in the city flying around and being bulletproof.

I'm not sure why you'd give up on a show where establishing connections to the Batman universe WAS THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE SHOW ITSELF, but whatever.

Because although a show is set in a universe, doesn't mean it constantly needs to tell the viewers that. We get it, its called Gotham. Bruce Wayne is going to be Batman. There is no need for constant winks to the camera about it. The show should be able to stand on its own at some point. Build the mythology, tell the story, be subtle. Don't constantly pound the viewer over the head with it. Doing so is bad writing, which is distracting. When the show is not establishing its own characters and story sand instead just reminding the viewers "ITS A BATMAN SHOW!" I lose interest. Similarly, I will lose interest in this if every other line of dialogue is designed to point to the fact that Supergirl is Superman's cousin (which the trailer certainly suggested is the case).

This looks great! The trailer was definitely cut to appeal to a Sex in the City type crowd though for sure haha. The choice of music, the amount of focus on her office life and love life at the beginning of the trailer etc.

Comic book stuff was for the dudes, the other stuff for the girls - I'm not saying that's how it should be, I'm saying that's how they're marketing it.

Gotham's entire premise is predicated on telling the stories of HOW the Batman villains we know BECAME who they are. It's the show's raison d'etre.

I like Gotham to an extent...I hope I like this as well. I like what I saw in the trailer

Because although a show is set in a universe, doesn't mean it constantly needs to tell the viewers that. We get it, its called Gotham. Bruce Wayne is going to be Batman. There is no need for constant winks to the camera about it. The show should be able to stand on its own at some point. Build the mythology, tell the story, be subtle. Don't constantly pound the viewer over the head with it. Doing so is bad writing, which is distracting. When the show is not establishing its own characters and story sand instead just reminding the viewers "ITS A BATMAN SHOW!" I lose interest. Similarly, I will lose interest in this if every other line of dialogue is designed to point to the fact that Supergirl is Superman's cousin (which the trailer certainly suggested is the case).
Meh, I'd rather it be acknowledged than completely enforcing a character embargo on even mentioning the name. Let the fans know the other characters DO exist in the universe without ignoring it.

A big piss off to the fans was how the embargos were handled. Although I agree that too much of it can get annoying, I personally feel as though the trailer gave us enough. I feel like after the second or third episode we'll barely get any direct references to CK.

I liked it more than I thought I would. I'll most likely check out the pilot.

Gotham's entire premise is predicated on telling the stories of HOW the Batman villains we know BECAME who they are. It's the show's raison d'etre.

But that doesn't mean the viewer needs to be bombarded with it.

Catwoman batting at the end of her locket like a cat? Sneaking around like a cat in broad daylight? Stealing milk?

HEY LOOK IT'S CATWOMAN. SHE'S A KID NOW BUT SOME DAY SHE'LL BE CATWOMAN. YOU CAN TELL BY THE WAY SHE ACTS LIKE A CAT. GET IT? BECAUSE SHE'S CATWOMAN.

The Riddler literally walking around with question mark logo on his stuff?

Poison Ivy being literally renamed Ivy, and almost always standing in the background attending to plants?

Batman is a pop culture icon. Even people who don't know anything about Batman know who Catwoman is. The people you might expect to watch a Batman franchise origin story especially so.

Gotham has no respect for the intelligence of their viewers.

If establishing who these characters are in a non-subtle fashion is part of the series' conceptual DNA and its raison d'etre for existing (which it is), it's not 'bombarding people'; it's sticking to the show's premise.

It's like complaining that a CSI show is constantly focusing on the science of solving crimes and saying that constantly featuring that science is 'bombarding people' with the fact that the show's characters are scientists who solve crimes. It's a silly thing to complain about.

Anyway, let's move on.

If establishing who these characters are in a non-subtle fashion is part of the series' conceptual DNA and its raison d'etre for existing (which it is), it's not 'bombarding people'; it's sticking to the show's premise.

It's like complaining that a CSI show is constantly focusing on the science of solving crimes and saying that constantly featuring that science is 'bombarding people' with the fact that the show's characters are scientists who solve crimes. It's a silly thing to complain about.

Anyway, let's move on.
The CSI equivalent of this show's take on Catwoman would be a dude in a Sherlock Holmes hat walking around looking through a magnifying glass while a chubby policeman follows him and takes notes.

I'm confused. Is the complaint that they won't reference Superman or that they will? Or both?

I think they will pull in a lot more female viewers with the vibe they have created, while trying to balance the core male superhero fans. There was a good bit to be optimistic about, but hard to judge until we see how a full episode flows.

They obviously will be referencing Superman. It may get old if we never see him appear though. Maybe they will just have her talk to him across a fence Home Improvement style ;)

I didn't even know this show was a thing until the trailer dropped today, so I checked it out and goddamn that was brutal. :csad:

Superhero fans aren't exclusively male, and it's really condescending to behave otherwise.

I will guarantee you that there are going to be female viewers who watch the show as much for the superhero stuff as for the stuff involving her being a PA to Super!Bitca Cat Grant.

say-what17.gif

Sex and the city vibe? What the **** hahaha. I don't remember anyone on sex in the city flying around and being bulletproof.

Cat Grant is giving me all kinds of PG-13 Samantha Jones vibes. :o

f4nzh4.gif

If nothing else, the trailer sold me on Melissa Benoist as Kara. (It's really bothering me that it is "Car-a", not "Care-a".)

I'll wait and see on some of the other aspects.
Although the "Sex and the City" stuff kind of dominated the trailer, I wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't reflect the show's balance. Regardless, they will be able to do some interesting things with the comparison between life at CatCo and at the DEO.

Superhero fans aren't exclusively male, and it's really condescending to behave otherwise.

I will guarantee you that there are going to be female viewers who watch the show as much for the superhero stuff as for the stuff involving her being a PA to Super!Bitca Cat Grant.
Superhero shows have an overwhelming male audience. Nobody said it was exclusive, but it sure is the largest demographic by far.

The editing/tone of this trailer is all over the place, but that's par for the course with Upfronts trailers. The beginning had me worried because it reminded me too much of that Black Widow movie SNL spoof, but after watching the whole thing, I quite liked it.

Obvious TV budget aside, I love the cute, happy Flash-esque vibe it has. I just hope it doesn't have an Iris/Laurel character to make me gradually start to hate it like the other Berlanti shows. Benoist seems very well cast. At the very least I think this has potential.

I've honestly never cared about supergirl but the trailer makes the show look interesting enough from me to want to check it out.

say-what17.gif

I get more of chick flick ala The Devil Wears Prada. Or even the SNL Black Widow sketch they did the other week. :woot:

They obviously will be referencing Superman. It may get old if we never see him appear though. Maybe they will just have her talk to him across a fence Home Improvement style ;)

Though it's hidden by some very quick editing, Superman appears to find Kara in the spaceship and then takes her to her foster parents. Or at least - Superman's hands do this. :cwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"