Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it went much deeper than simply a "prove herself" kind of thing. Taking it down to simply a female superhero vs. male superhero is a pretty shallow way of looking at it actually. BUT, it is the way some will look at sadly, and that is something that this show will have to combat on a constant basis.

I have no problem with female superheroes. The problem I have with this show is that they are constantly referencing that she is a female hero and attitudes (both legit and perceived) that she faces.

They didn't do a stellar job of executing it. She got angry at Superman and James because they saved her life. Reactron would have murdered her if Superman hadn't shown up. Her frustration should've been directed at herself and her inexperience, not at the people responsible for her continuing to draw breath. I understand what they were trying to do, and I like it, but the execution was sloppy.

I don't remember her getting angry at Superman at all. And, actually I think she was more frustrated at herself, and the fact that she was not carrying out what she promised her parents. To me, if you make it soooo obvious, it takes the intelligence out of the show. I don't need things to be spelled out to me, I realized that she wasn't so much angry at James personally as she was frustrated at the entire situation, he just got the brunt of that frustration, and that was shown almost immediately after he left. She immediately moved from acting out at James, to realizing that her frustration was that she did not feel she was doing what she was sent to earth to do. I think the execution was spot on, one of the strongest scenes I have seen in a long time. Acting was spot on.

I don't remember her getting angry at Superman at all. And, actually I think she was more frustrated at herself, and the fact that she was not carrying out what she promised her parents. To me, if you make it soooo obvious, it takes the intelligence out of the show. I don't need things to be spelled out to me, I realized that she wasn't so much angry at James personally as she was frustrated at the entire situation, he just got the brunt of that frustration, and that was shown almost immediately after he left. She immediately moved from acting out at James, to realizing that her frustration was that she did not feel she was doing what she was sent to earth to do. I think the execution was spot on, one of the strongest scenes I have seen in a long time. Acting was spot on.

I must side with Kelly on this. It was her responsibility to try and beat Reactron in round 2. She didn't and she had to have some sort of zone for lack of a better word to channel that anger. And it had to be James. I must admit Supergirl and I share the same frustration moments. If something frustrates me I have to have a zone to channel that. And sadly in giving out a little TMI, that's my mother. Well when you have Autism and Generalized Anxiety Disorder like I do, it can be tough.

I must say though the IM scene with Clark and Kara did show the heart of this show...family even though Kara has one with her adopted kin. But...I hope this is the last time Kara gets some help from her cousin or that the mentions can stop. Otherwise those ratings that have been falling will continue doing so. I hope the writers can heed the warnings that may be coming their way.

She's was pretty clearly mostly upset at herself and her failure. She was projecting. She herself didn't really believe she could succeed. She wants them to tell her she can do it. She wants Superman to believe she can. They, and she, aren't there yet. None of the "rah rah you can do it" that her sister gave her in the first two episodes, they have legitimate doubt about her capability as a superhero. Not because she's a woman, but because she's a novice. I rather like that.

As I mentioned in another thread. I liked the IM'ing scene at the end. I almost think that should be a weekly thing or at least occur more often. It's a great way to show the Clark/Kara relationship without having him appear.

I don't remember her getting angry at Superman at all.

Jimmy took the brunt of her frustration, but I thought it was fairly clear that she was just as upset with Superman for swooping in and saving the day.

"Thanks for saving my life."

"I talked to Jimmy. Won't happen again."

And, actually I think she was more frustrated at herself, and the fact that she was not carrying out what she promised her parents.
It can't be both?

To me, if you make it soooo obvious, it takes the intelligence out of the show. I don't need things to be spelled out to me...
Uh...I don't either?

I realized that she wasn't so much angry at James personally as she was frustrated at the entire situation, he just got the brunt of that frustration, and that was shown almost immediately after he left. She immediately moved from acting out at James, to realizing that her frustration was that she did not feel she was doing what she was sent to earth to do.
I know. Like I said, I get what they were trying to do, but I didn't care for the way they did it. I feel like more emphasis was placed on her and James' fight than her own introspection, even though it was definitely there. I'll probably watch the scene again later to see if I interpret it a little differently.

You got that she was mad at Superman from "Thanks for saving my life." Seriously?

It is always interesting how two people can get totally different takes from situations.

ok.... :)

You got that she was mad at Superman from "Thanks for saving my life." Seriously?

It is always interesting how two people can get totally different takes from situations.

ok.... :)

Kel, that is often called SPIN.

If I can kinda repeat myself from the last thread, superman is same the millstone around Supergirl's neck that TWS was around Agents of SHIELD's neck.

He's restricting the show having him mentioned all the time and never seen. It's not really been about Supergirl being Supergirl so far for me, but Supergirl pushing that she's not Superman.

I also think they need to change the voice overs... Feels very... Campy the way Benoist reads the lines.... And they need to completely rethink the Cat character.

(and find extras that can act.... The dude at the crash site was horrifically bad)

Honestly, I think the whole issue really stems from the fact that the Producers aren't allowed to really use Superman as a "character" on this show, which ends up making certain things difficult from a narrative point of view.

As others have brought up, why wasn't Superman involved with Kara learning to master her powers during her childhood? Why did he leave it up solely to her Foster Family? What does the show plan on doing if they introduce a Global threat that requires both Kryptonian Cousins to work together in order to defeat?

And I really get Kara's frustration in needing to be saved by Superman when she's trying to escape his larger than life shadow, along with how it was originally supposed to be her that was to be his protector and not the other way around. I also get that she was sincerely thankful that he did save her life.

What I didn't really like or get was how she only focused on how it affected her and not how those around her would feel if she were to be killed, especially when it could have been prevented if Superman had been there to lend a hand.

You said that it was JUST AS CLEAR that she was mad at Superman and then made those 2 quotes? What else was I supposed to think. If those particular quotes were not your reasons for thinking she was just as mad at Superman, then how was I supposed to read that?

That conversation was, in my opinion, very sweet, and she was sincerely thanking him for saving her life. I honestly cannot see ANYTHING in that conversation that even hints she is mad at him, if anything she hangs on every word he says and it is very important to her. That is why I said "Seriously?" because that is kind of a shocker to me.

I get why you think she was very angry at James, I don't necessarily agree with it, but I get where you would see that....I just have a different take on it, but YEAH, I was a little shocked with the "she was just as mad at Superman" and then that was your response to back up your answer.

But, as I said before, people can see things very differently, and that is ok. :)

I have no problem with female superheroes. The problem I have with this show is that they are constantly referencing that she is a female hero and attitudes (both legit and perceived) that she faces.

Because those are real world challenges that myself as a woman faces...and I'm in one of the most female friendly careers out there, and I still face some of the same challenges. The quote that states "Ginger Rogers had to do everything that Fred Astaire did except backwards and in heels" is not a fluke statement. It is reality for 51% of the population. ;)

They need some smilies on that IM service they're using. It's rather primitive.

Then she could say "Thanks for saving my life". :o

Or "Thanks for saving my life" :whatever:

:o

or "thanks for saving my life" :cmad:

"thanks for saving my life" :loco:

"thanks for saving my life" :ilv:

"thanks for saving my life" :csad:

... you get the idea

They need some smilies on that IM service they're using. It's rather primitive.

Then she could say "Thanks for saving my life". :o

Or "Thanks for saving my life" :whatever:

:o

LMAO.... that's funny.

Although I think the expression when she saw the message from it said all that needed to be said. ;)

I'm not impressed by this show at all. I've stopped watching it.

Sorry, fans.

Had I been at the helm, it would be a much different show. For a start... No step sister and no secret meta human task force. Any reason why this was actually needed? All the Berlanti shows seem I have the same formula.

I need to watch the third episode. This battle over text is brilliant. :woot:

or "thanks for saving my life" :cmad:

"thanks for saving my life" :loco:

"thanks for saving my life" :ilv:

"thanks for saving my life" :csad:

... you get the idea

Yes...

"thanks for saving my life" :dry:

"thanks for saving my life" :argh:

"thanks for saving my life" :O

Kara clearly needs to learn how to use gifs.

I think they need to move away from the freak of the week format and develop some interesting story arcs like Flash had about the mystery killer of his mother, or like Arrow had his father's diary of corrupt people in his City.

Introduce some real stakes which could be a two episode story line, for example how about a hostage situation where Kara cannot be at two places at once ?

I think they need to move away from the freak of the week format and develop some interesting story arcs like Flash had about the mystery killer of his mother, or like Arrow had his father's diary of corrupt people in his City.

Introduce some real stakes which could be a two episode story line, for example how about a hostage situation where Kara cannot be at two places at once ?

I think they will once we get back to her Aunt and Non coming in to the picture as well. So, I think there will probably several story arcs coming, that will be over several episodes such as Cyborg Superman, her Aunt and Non.

Well Monday's upcoming "How Does She Do It" could offer something like that concept up. From the Supergirl YouTube page...

Kara’s two identities are stretched thin when Supergirl must protect National City from a series of bombings and Kara is tasked with babysitting Cat’s son, Carter (Levi Miller).

And a trailer comes with it.

With her super speed I expect her to be able to be in two places at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"