Supergirl Supergirl General Discussion Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What u dont get is that a movie about superhumans can still be realistic and a movie without supernatural elements can be unrealistic.

Here are examples (im sad u dont have brain capacity for this , but maybe i didnt explain bettet)

A crime movir where someone shooting 1000 bullets from close distance and hitting NOTHING is unrealistic.

The flash or supes passing through people or cars really fast without affecting them as he should with wave blasts/shockwaves etc.

Or supes straggling to lift a bus and then easily lifting a mountain etc.

There are a tons of things i can set as examples.

What is that difficult to understand???

You can have realism in outlandish movies and not have realism in regular movies without scifi elements.

Now to my point on supergirl.

What u dont get is that there is a social bias that makes it hard to accept women with superpowers especially with physical attributes thats why wonder woman will flop and supergirl will struggle.

Not even women believe a woman can punch through concrete.

Thats why people like nba and wnba is meh.

Women are not buff. Men are buff.

If u want to make a woman look buff u dont put her next to a frickin 6'4' tall ripped black guy.

Not even women buy that stuff.

Supergirl should be badass not insecure , girly and smiling/giggling all the time.

Im not saying this concept cant be done im saying its hard because of the social norms.

Just look around you. How many women you see are buff ?

Maybe if I read this a few more times it will make sense.... *shakes head*

- Superman "never beat reactron" hahahaha sure.

I couldn't buy that either. The guy who nonchalantly blocks one of his energy shots with his bare chest, wasn't able to defeat him for several years. Seriously?

What u dont get is that a movie about superhumans can still be realistic and a movie without supernatural elements can be unrealistic.

Here are examples (im sad u dont have brain capacity for this , but maybe i didnt explain bettet)

A crime movir where someone shooting 1000 bullets from close distance and hitting NOTHING is unrealistic.

The flash or supes passing through people or cars really fast without affecting them as he should with wave blasts/shockwaves etc.

Or supes straggling to lift a bus and then easily lifting a mountain etc.

There are a tons of things i can set as examples.

What is that difficult to understand???

You can have realism in outlandish movies and not have realism in regular movies without scifi elements.

What u dont get is that there is a social bias that makes it hard to accept women with superpowers especially with physical attributes thats why wonder woman will flop and supergirl will struggle.

If u want to make a woman look buff u dont put her next to a frickin 6'4' tall ripped black guy.

Supergirl should be badass not insecure , girly and smiling/giggling all the time.

Im not saying this concept cant be done im saying its hard because of the social norms.

Oh boy. Words do not exist that can properly convey all that is wrong with this. We are talking about television shows based on comic books that are completely NOT based on real world science in any way whatsoever.

Women do not believe women can punch through concrete? You know who else can't punch through concrete... EVERYONE. But when you are talking about comic book characters who happen to be super powered aliens or amazons, the playing field is level. In this show, Supergirl has the same powers as Superman. What she lacks is experience. She also does not have to be "buff." But Melissa Benoist is not a scrawny waif. She looks iconic in her costume.

You are wholly perpetuating the bias that this show is worthless, just because it features a female lead. Every argument you make is based on the fact that the show and character is unbelievable because it features a female lead. If you do not care for the show because you feel the writing and storytelling is lackluster, that would at least provide a valid argument as to why you feel it won't succeed. But your whole argument is sexist. Period. No argument.

Oh boy. Words do not exist that can properly convey all that is wrong with this. We are talking about television shows based on comic books that are completely NOT based on real world science in any way whatsoever.

Women do not believe women can punch through concrete? You know who else can't punch through concrete... EVERYONE. But when you are talking about comic book characters who happen to be super powered aliens or amazons, the playing field is level. In this show, Supergirl has the same powers as Superman. What she lacks is experience. She also does not have to be "buff." But Melissa Benoist is not a scrawny waif. She looks iconic in her costume.

You are wholly perpetuating the bias that this show is worthless, just because it features a female lead. Every argument you make is based on the fact that the show and character is unbelievable because it features a female lead. If you do not care for the show because you feel the writing and storytelling is lackluster, that would at least provide a valid argument as to why you feel it won't succeed. But your whole argument is sexist. Period. No argument.

8ulk...NOT TO MENTION MISOGYNISTIC. TO me that makes you a bit :loco:

ARBH...I have nothing to say but...

:db: :applaud :applaud

Median age 56 years old. Wow.

Well that's CBS for ya!

But, and not to go all Milton Friedman (late great economist and libertarian thinker), the older you are the more disposable income you have. That is money households have available for spending and saving after income taxes have been accounted for. At their disposal if you will...

SOURCE

18-34 year olds are just starting or are interns. Older demos have more disposable income at the ready.

You do realize this is a show where she has super powers, right? She isn't supposed to look like an MMA fighter.
Then WHY all male actors are OBLIGED to get ripped and often SUPERBUFF when they sign for a superhero movie ???

BECAUSE IF U SEE SOMEONE buff its EASIER to accept he can stop bullets or punch through walls.

IM BUFFLED how u dont get this all of you.

EVEN women are put through extensive traning regimes after they sign for a superhero role. Gal Gadot and Melissa Benoist went rthough the gym for their roles.

Its laughable to say you dont have to get muscles for a sh role.

you will never see a lean Superman. Flash can be lean cause he is a runner but he is still ripped. And comic book flash is buff not lean like Gustin.

Now the part about realism which is so hard (mostly for women in this topic apparently) to understand.

im talking about realism in action sequences and scenes in general.
Im not saying how realistic a concept is aka superman not realistic because he is an alien. What dont you get really ?

A sfici fantasy film can have realism and a mafia film can be unrealistic.
What is that hard to understand again ?? And how is that irrelevant ?

Ignoring the laws of physcis for example can ruin the relism in both superman film and godfather film.

And yes human society will accept easier superman than supergirl.
Its how things are. I dont see males giving birth and females lifting heavy machinery in construction yards.

Over the course of thousands of years of societies people develop certain notions that wont change with a single film or tv show.

A 6'4' buff dude as jimmy doesnt help the show.
And if it didnt matter why did they hire a 5'8' woman instead of a 5'3' one ?

Older demographics have more disposable income but they're not as valuable for advertising because
1) they already watch so much television that they are already exposed to a ton more advertising than most people
2) they spend less money than young people
3) they are more set in their ways than young people

2 and 3 made me laugh...

2 and 3 made me laugh...
It's true though. A 58 year old isn't as likely to impulse buy something based on limited exposure, and a 58 year old isn't going to just randomly switch from Coke to Pepsi. If they've been drinking Coke this long they'll probably drink it forever.

It's true though. A 58 year old isn't as likely to impulse buy something based on limited exposure, and a 58 year old isn't going to just randomly switch from Coke to Pepsi. If they've been drinking Coke this long they'll probably drink it forever.

ok...:yay:

Then WHY all male actors are OBLIGED to get ripped and often SUPERBUFF when they sign for a superhero movie ???

BECAUSE IF U SEE SOMEONE buff its EASIER to accept he can stop bullets or punch through walls.

Okay, but regardless, she has super powers. No one's stopping bullets or flying. If you can't accept the conceit of super powers, you're watching the wrong stuff.

IM BUFFLED how u dont get this all of you.

I'm pretty buffled myself that you still can't spell yet want to be condescending.

EVEN women are put through extensive traning regimes after they sign for a superhero role. Gal Gadot and Melissa Benoist went rthough the gym for their roles.

Its laughable to say you dont have to get muscles for a sh role.

Oh hi there, strawman argument. I didn't say no one had to get muscles for a superhero role. I said they didn't have to look like an MMA fighter.

you will never see a lean Superman. Flash can be lean cause he is a runner but he is still ripped. And comic book flash is buff not lean like Gustin.

Okay great, and if we're using the comics to back up things now, Supergirl isn't extremely muscular like an MMA fighter there.

Now the part about realism which is so hard (mostly for women in this topic apparently) to understand.

There's nothing anyone here is failing to understand, your points have just been rubbish.

im talking about realism in action sequences and scenes in general.
Im not saying how realistic a concept is aka superman not realistic because he is an alien. What dont you get really ?

Again, if you're going to be condescending, proper spelling and grammar would be a good idea.

A sfici fantasy film can have realism and a mafia film can be unrealistic.
What is that hard to understand again ?? And how is that irrelevant ?

It's irrelevant because you said a woman having super powers is unbelievable, but a man having them isn't. Again, that's such a blatantly stupid double standard. You can ramble about realism all you want, but at the end of the day, it's not the point.

And yes human society will accept easier superman than supergirl.
Its how things are. I dont see males giving birth and females lifting heavy machinery in construction yards.

"It's how things are" Did you have a survey done? Since you seem to know a lot about how everyone feels.

A 6'4' buff dude as jimmy doesnt help the show.
And if it didnt matter why did they hire a 5'8' woman instead of a 5'3' one ?

I saw Tom Cruise hang onto the side of a plane a few weeks ago. Height has nothing to do with being able to do dangerous stuff, especially once you throw super powers into the mix. They picked the actress they felt was right for the role.

But again, your post has been avoiding the actual thing I highlighted in favour of continuing to ramble about how buff she is or is not. It's tedious.

Okay, I do not agree with what 8ulk has had to say, but it kind of takes off on a tangent, and a problem I have with a lot show where superpowers or fighting is involved in general.

The look of Supergirl is no problem to whatsoever, and it even matches the usual take from the comics for the character. Heck, that is a lot of the charm of the character. But, I do have slight problem with how she looks fighting. It reminds me too much of more classical television, where it makes it clear this isn't real. You get this with all the superhero shoes to varying degrees, even Daredevil. But the way she punches, kicks, lands, etc. shows a weird amount of effort the majority of the time. You see this a lot with Barry on the Flash as well. Guy is superfast, can apparently catch bullets with his bare hands, but his punching is all over the place. You run into this a lot with Thor in the Marvel movies.

And I do realize this is partly a budget issue, but I have also found that other shows, heck even iZombie, shows a more base level of understanding of showing impact in a fight, not in the result, but how the combatants execute. A base level of technique would help.

I do get this is a me thing. I am one of those guys who actually cares about how people execute in pro wrestling, so I know I am weird. I also realize that not everyone is Edgar Wright and can make anything look kinetic, even Michael Cera.

Last edited:

The reason many female led superhero/action movies fail is because the script is awful. If the writing is better, it'll work. Buffy ran for seven seasons, why? Good writing. You tell me a woman has superpowers I'll believe she can punch through concrete, without being super built.

Women can be buff, sure it won't be as bulky as a man, but a woman can definitely put on muscle.

I think Kara looks pretty good in her costume, you can definitely see she's got a bit of muscle. However, even if she didn't we're talking about an alien with superstrength, she could have literally zero muscle definition, but due to the rules of the universe, I buy that she can be super strong. Her strength has nothing to do with muscle definition.

I actually think when Kara's in the suit she continues to show more and more confidence, there's definitely a difference in her attitude when in the costume. I like that outside of the costume she acts insecure, sometimes really girly and giggly, it makes people not see the obvious truth that without glasses she's Supergirl.

Social norms that are changing and that's great. Your thinking is very old and very quickly becoming very outdated.

Again with the "buff" talk, that doesn't matter. Truthfully if a being like Supergirl were to exist in the real world, in order to get buff, she'd probably need to be bench pressing semi-trucks or something.

So where would you guys rank this show among the current TV shows based on superheroes and comics? Of the ones I watch (or have attempted to watch), I'd definitely say it's among the better ones. Here's how I'd rank it:

1. Daredevil
2. The Walking Dead
3. The Flash
4. Agent Carter
5. Supergirl
6. Arrow
7. Agents of TURD
8. Gotham

I really wish there were like 10 shows I could put between Supergirl and Arrow, because the dropoff in quality is huge between the two.

1. Agents of SHIELD/The Flash
2. Daredevil/Agent Carter
3. Supergirl/Arrow
(Yes, I'm indecisive....)

1. iZombie
2. Daredevil
3. Agent Carter
4. The Flash
5. Supergirl
6. Arrow
7. Gotham

I gave up Agents of SHIELD a while ago so I won't include it. Can't be worse than Gotham though.

1. Daredevil.

2. Arrow.

3. Flash/Supergirl.

So where would you guys rank this show among the current TV shows based on superheroes and comics? Of the ones I watch (or have attempted to watch), I'd definitely say it's among the better ones. Here's how I'd rank it:

1. Daredevil
2. The Walking Dead
3. The Flash
4. Agent Carter
5. Supergirl
6. Arrow
7. Agents of TURD
8. Gotham

I really wish there were like 10 shows I could put between Supergirl and Arrow, because the dropoff in quality is huge between the two.
When was the last time you saw Agents of Shield?
It has improved over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back