Supergirl Movie

I honestly don't think we're seeing Man of Steel 2 anytime soon, unfortunately. I'm starting to give up hope. But you really don't need to introduce her in a Superman movie before spinning her off. Just have her solo cover her origin and bring in Superman (whoever is playing him this time) for a guest appearance.

Well, this is convenient.
Lucy_Boynton_TIFF_Allison_Bryan_10.09.16.jpg

Bevause the film is only at the scripting stage it makes me wonder what the film will be, who the villain will be, etc.

I personally think they have to avoid these problems with the TV show:

1) Don't just make her female Superman - I think on the TV show she just acts too much like Superman, her alter ego is a reporter (was much more interesting when she was a PA), when she talks she does all the arm golfing, hand on hips stuff. Let her be who she is.
2) Use actual Supergirl villains/storylines - yeah we saw Reign as the big bad in S3 of Supergirl but other than that we've had her battling Parasite, Bizarro, Mr Mxyzptlk, etc. On top of that we've had storylines adapted such as For the Man Who Has Everything, etc. Just give her her own rogues gallery and her own damn stories, no need to pilfer Superman's. Make her an interesting character in her own right. I do concede I get doing it on TV as you have a 20+ episide quota to fill in every season but no need to do it in the feature film.
3) Avoid the political commentary - it's one of the biggest annoying parts of the TV show. As Tom Mankiewicz always said don't use these characters solve real world problems cause the problems are still there when the credits roll.
4) Girl power - there has been way too much emphasis on the show about her been a girl on the show for my liking and he in the end girls are stronger. It's the wrong message, look at how Wonder Woman did it there weren't lines of dialogue about how she's just a woman etc. So leave it off the table.

Also looking at the 1984 movie, use Superman in this. I get that Christopher Reeve backed out before they filmed his parts but don't make that mistake again. Superman should be the one to discover her for sure or maybe even have a role similar to the one he had in the New 52 which would work in this film as a sort of glorified cameo.

Lastly, If Cavill is out as Superman then use the film to introduce the new actor. They did that succesfully on the TV show where Tyler Hoechlin felt very familiar as the Man of Steel even though we hadn't seen him before so it can be done again. Of course it would be much better if they just brought Cavill back.

Yes, cast search over, Lucy Boynton for the win.

2) Use actual Supergirl villains/storylines - yeah we saw Reign as the big bad in S3 of Supergirl but other than that we've had her battling Parasite, Bizarro, Mr Mxyzptlk, etc. On top of that we've had storylines adapted such as For the Man Who Has Everything, etc. Just give her her own rogues gallery and her own damn stories, no need to pilfer Superman's.
Re-posting my response to this from the show's board:

Brainiac is a Superman villain I wouldn't mind seeing "pilfered" for a Supergirl film considering he's more of a boogeyman for Kara than he ever was for Clark due to his previous attack on Krypton.

Because honestly, her "exclusive rogues gallery" gets ignored because it sucks. She and Superman share a universe, and therefore, villains. His universe shouldn't suddenly be off-limits to her, as she's always played in the same sandbox. It's not the same as Arrow stealing Batman's villains/storylines, for example. Superman's villains ARE her most-memorable villains, generally speaking. She knew General Zod. She was traumatized by Brainiac's abduction of Kandor, and later fought him on multiple occasions. She was kidnapped and brainwashed by Darkseid. She was killed defending Superman from the Anti-Monitor. She's fought Doomsday. Metallo. Eradicator. Lobo. Intergang. Cyborg Superman. And so on. She's literally Superman's family, and has the same connections as him. So of course villains tied to him will be tied to her, too. Allowing that to ruffle one's feathers is a bit silly, imo. It's only logical.

It’s cool to see them doing this but I’m not sure what they could do that they haven’t done in the tv series.

Then again, it’s good for young girls to see superheroines at the box office. Oh I wonder if they could cross over with Batwoman? That would be cute

looking at Oren Uziel's filmography and... LOL Supergirl is DOA

B
1) Don't just make her female Superman
2) Use actual Supergirl villains/storylines
3) Avoid the political commentary
4) Girl power

1. don't worry they want Supergirl to be popular
2. eh... id rather they just make up their own.
3. Superheroes should stop trying to make the world a better place?
4. Too bad you're gonna get it.

Last edited:
Unfortunately people are doing political commentary wrong in their stories these days. It's become more allegorical than metaphorical.

I admit, I didn't expect to see a big screen adaption anytime soon - at least not until after MoS2 and even then, with the Supergirl TV show still on the go, I wasn't expecting a solo Supergirl film (much in the same way I didn't expect a Flash one, but we know how that's coming along)...

I guess it gives DC/WB options though if the likes of Affleck & Cavill aren't interested. There'd potentially be nothing to stop them adding the likes of Wonder Woman, Aquaman and (eventually) a Green Lantern to a team that involved Supergirl and didn't have Batman.

I do however think it would have been a better idea to introduce Kara Zor-El in a Superman film and then do the spinoff, rather than just do a film for her. This would be like a film about Robin not featuring Batman, or Wally not featuring Barry. Something's gonna seem lost.

Still, WW was a success, and I'm expecting both Aquaman & Shazam to be well received. If they can get those right, there's hope for Supergirl yet.

1) Don't just make her female Superman - I think on the TV show she just acts too much like Superman, her alter ego is a reporter (was much more interesting when she was a PA), when she talks she does all the arm golfing, hand on hips stuff. Let her be who she is.

One thing I actually like about the show is how they've inverted the Clark/Superman Supergirl/Kara stuff.

I've always seen it as Clark Kent being the disguise and when he is Superman is how he really is, whereas with Supergirl I get the impression that Kara is how she really is and Supergirl is the act.

Re-posting my response to this from the show's board:

Brainiac is a Superman villain I wouldn't mind seeing "pilfered" for a Supergirl film considering he's more of a boogeyman for Kara than he ever was for Clark due to his previous attack on Krypton.

Because honestly, her "exclusive rogues gallery" gets ignored because it sucks. She and Superman share a universe, and therefore, villains. His universe shouldn't suddenly be off-limits to her, as she's always played in the same sandbox. It's not the same as Arrow stealing Batman's villains/storylines, for example. Superman's villains ARE her most-memorable villains, generally speaking. She knew General Zod. She was traumatized by Brainiac's abduction of Kandor, and later fought him on multiple occasions. She was kidnapped and brainwashed by Darkseid. She was killed defending Superman from the Anti-Monitor. She's fought Doomsday. Metallo. Eradicator. Lobo. Intergang. Cyborg Superman. And so on. She's literally Superman's family, and has the same connections as him. So of course villains tied to him will be tied to her, too. Allowing that to ruffle one's feathers is a bit silly, imo. It's only logical.

That’s just writers lacking imagination in my book. Her villains could be good if they’r written well and cast well.

I’d be fine using Brainiac as the villain in a team up with Superman and Supergirl but he shouldn’t be the villain if its just Kara.

1. don't worry they want Supergirl to be popular
2. eh... id rather they just make up their own.
3. Superheroes should stop trying to make the world a better place?
4. Too bad you're gonna get it.

1. :facepalm:
2. See my post above
3. Not at all what I said
4. We’ll see, we didn’t get it in WW.

Unfortunately people are doing political commentary wrong in their stories these days. It's become more allegorical than metaphorical.

so the x-men have been doin it wrong forever then?

That’s just writers lacking imagination in my book. Her villains could be good if they’r written well and cast well.

I’d be fine using Brainiac as the villain in a team up with Superman and Supergirl but he shouldn’t be the villain if its just Kara.

1. :facepalm:
2. See my post above
3. Not at all what I said
4. We’ll see, we didn’t get it in WW.

2. You have to be open minded to ideas that you don't like and judge things based on what is there rather than what isn't. If you don't DC will never succeed. "Written and cast well" is utterly meaningless as "well" is an opinion.

3.Fine, but it still shouldn't avoid political commentary just because it annoys you.

4. Yes we did, you just aren't paying attention. Is it as ham fisted as Supergirl? No, but it's still there. And the message of Supergirl is "just because you're girl doesn't mean you're weak and helpless. Stand up to the chauvinists and sexists they're not as tough as they think they are."

So what origin do you guys want for this Supergirl?

And where would you want the movie to start? On Krypton? Arriving on Earth? First day of school? Already Supergirl?

So what origin do you guys want for this Supergirl?

And where would you want the movie to start? On Krypton? Arriving on Earth? First day of school? Already Supergirl?

I like the Superman/Batman version of The Supergirl from Krypton. I love Wonder Woman's role in that too. Hmm, wonder if we'd get Lyla/Harbinger...

I'd like to see a teenage Kara here. Not a 21 year old playing a teen, but an actual 15-16 year old actress. Someone who would grow into the role and be able to look lanky and a bit awkward in the first few films. Getting into the specifics sounds a bit creepy, but just not have sexiness be a must. Hope they can make it different from the show in subtle ways.

Some stuff about Supergirl in Revenge of the Fanboys article:

https://revengeofthefans.com/2018/08/07/supergirl-has-the-girl-of-steel-replaced-man-of-steel-2-sort-of/

SUPERGIRL: Has The GIRL OF STEEL Replaced MAN OF STEEL 2? Sort Of.

...The studio logic behind getting this movie, which I’d playfully like to refer to as Girl of Steel for now, seems to be [Please Note This Is A Paraphrase of How I’d Describe Their Strategy. It’s Not An Actual Quote!]:

“Well, we can’t seem to get a sequel to Man of Steel going just yet, so we’ll do Girl of Steel instead.”

And, in that way, this feels like the studio’s way of letting Cavill’s team know that they’re ready and able to move on if the two sides can’t reach a new deal.

Someone closer to the situation explained it this way to me:

“If Cavill signs a new deal, he’ll actually be in the Supergirl movie and it’ll be one of several appearances they have in mind for him. But if he doesn’t, then Supergirl is going to become the new Superman of the DCU.“

It sure sounds like the studio is upping the ante.

But that’s not to say that Supergirl is simply part of a shrewd negotiation tactic. They do want to make a Supergirl movie, and- because of that- I wouldn’t expect this one to languish in the kind of prolonged “Will it ever happen?” development phase like other DC projects, i.e. Blackhawk, New Gods, Lobo, Booster Gold, Cyborg, Nightwing, Black Adam, and more.

I say that because when I voiced my skepticism about this film getting made anytime soon, that same source added, “This one will happen. This film is important to the studio, so I’d expect it to happen sooner than you think.”

MORE

Last edited:
I say that because when I voiced my skepticism about this film getting made anytime soon, that same source added, “This one will happen. This film is important to the studio, so I’d expect it to happen sooner than you think.”

I hope so.

Agreed. Angourie Rice from The Nice Guys and The Beguiled would be my pick. She's 17 now and will probably be 20-ish by the time this film goes into production, which as we all know is the perfect Hollywood age to play a teenager, lol.

:up: :up: She would be a fantastic choice. She was amazing in The Nice Guys.

I would also nominate Anya Taylor-Joy.
Dj8BY-EV4AAx1Lk.jpg

2. You have to be open minded to ideas that you don't like and judge things based on what is there rather than what isn't. If you don't DC will never succeed. "Written and cast well" is utterly meaningless as "well" is an opinion.

3.Fine, but it still shouldn't avoid political commentary just because it annoys you.

4. Yes we did, you just aren't paying attention. Is it as ham fisted as Supergirl? No, but it's still there. And the message of Supergirl is "just because you're girl doesn't mean you're weak and helpless. Stand up to the chauvinists and sexists they're not as tough as they think they are."

Wow major snark here. One for the ignore list for sure.

Having a Supergirl movie without a Superman appearance would be weird to me. Especially if it's an origin type movie.

Having a Supergirl movie without a Superman appearance would be weird to me. Especially if it's an origin type movie.

Totally agree, would be a huge missed opportunity. We’ve seen it without, we’ve seen it with a shadowy vague take. It’s time for us to get the full on version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"