Comics Superman Gets a New Costume???

Shazam

Sidekick
Reaction score
350_newsuperman.jpg

Superman Gets a New duds!

Looks like armor......I don't like that. :doh:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/superman-getting-new-costume-action-197036

Superman's costume and the lack of armor sends the message of his superiority, in a silent way. Armor speaks of weakness....Supes is the armor! The simplicity of the origanal suit speaks volumes of his strength and power.

What are these guys smokin'??? :huh:

Is this connected to the Flashpoint story??

And how does Clark wear armored boots under his civies?:dry:

Is this connected to the Flashpoint story??
Yes.

Is this a Flashpoint tie-in?
No.

You see what is happening is that due to the events of Flashpoint, DC is rebooting their entire universe the way they did in 1986 with COIE. Some titles such as the Batman, Flash, Aquaman, and Green Lantern books are being relatively unaffected. Sorta like they did 25 years ago. Others such as Superman, Hawkman, Teen Titans, and Wonder Woman are being majorly revamped. Sorta like they did 25 years ago, with the exact same characters. And they are also properly merging the WildStorm and Milestone Universes into the DC Universe. Sorta like they did 25 years ago with the Charlton, Fawcett, and Quality Universes.

Meanwhile, almost every character is getting a new design: Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Nightwing, Hawkman, etc. Superman isn't the only one being affected by it.

But here's the biggie: 25 years ago, Marv Wolfman wanted to cancel every title and relaunch the entire DC Comics line with new #1s. DC editorial turned it down. Then a couple of years ago after Final Crisis, Executive Editor Dan DiDio wanted to do the same thing, but he was turned down by Publisher Paul Levitz. Now that Dan DiDio is Co-Publisher, he's taking Marv Wolfman's idea from 25 years ago and relaunching every book with a brand new #1 issue. That's right, every DC comic is ending: Detective Comics, Action Comics, Wonder Woman, Superman, Batman, and getting relaunched in September with new #1 issues.

They should have just kept Superman's costume the same. It's really one of the few comic book costumes that I would say was perfect. People often complain how goofy the underpants may look, but in reality, the red underwear breaks up the blue in the costume, preventing it from looking monotonous. The belt looks like a bad 90's design and seams look like a bad 00's style.

They should have just kept Superman's costume the same. It's really one of the few comic book costumes that I would say was perfect. People often complain how goofy the underpants may look, but in reality, the red underwear breaks up the blue in the costume, preventing it from looking monotonous. The belt looks like a bad 90's design and seams look like a bad 00's style.

Superman's superiority over other heroes is silently coveyed by his "simple" costume. He has no armor....no gadgets....none of that crap.
That tells everyone "I DON'T NEED IT". "I AM THE ARMOR"

This is totally missing the boat.

Marvel never does this crap. It's always DC rebooting their universe. Are they that disorganized? Can they not keep things going without this??

Maybe this is a "New Coke" scheme.....
Get everyone hating this new crap ....then they bring the old one back? :huh:

DC has 52 unexplored worlds in their multiverse. Why could they just make this Earth -25 or what ever.

Superman's superiority over other heroes is silently coveyed by his "simple" costume. He has no armor....no gadgets....none of that crap.
That tells everyone "I DON'T NEED IT". "I AM THE ARMOR"

This is totally missing the boat.

Marvel never does this crap. It's always DC rebooting their universe. Are they that disorganized? Can they not keep things going without this??

Maybe this is a "New Coke" scheme.....
Get everyone hating this new crap ....then they bring the old one back? :huh:
I think you're missing the point of this revamp.

DC and Warner Bros. are really making sure that their sales go beyond just comic book stores. All of their comics will be released digitally the same day the physical copies come out, they're making deals with retailers such as Hastings and Barnes & Noble to give more shelf space to comics, and they will even be promoting their new comics on television. They are really aiming to try and get new readers on board without gimmicks such as a .1 issue or a new #1 for the sake of a new #1.

And the best way to get these new readers is by:

1. Making these comics as accessible as possible. Continuity for a lot of these comics, Superman in particular, is very confusing. Starting from scratch for Superman makes it easier for neophyte readers or readers who haven't read comics in a long time to jump on board. New #1s also make them think that they don't have to read 700 issues of Superman or 900 issues of Action Comics to get what is going on.

2. Top notch quality creators. Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on Justice League, Geoff Johns on Green Lantern and Aquaman, Grant Morrison on Action Comics, George Perez on Superman, Scott Snyder on Batman, Brian Azzarello on Wonder Woman, having Gail Simone, Paul Cornell, DnA, and others on books. DC is making sure that their top books are going to be good. New readers are only going to stay on if the material is good.

3. Affordability, it's why DC refuses to go above $2.99 for a regular sized comic (unlike what Marvel does in attempting to test the readers in how much they will pay for their comics in a rather sadistic manner) and why after four weeks, their comics on their digital initiative will drop to $1.99. You need to encourage impulse buying and seeing Superman #1 on your iPad for only $1.99 is going to help.

and all of that, hippie hunter, makes it okay to visually screw up the artistic look of Superman?

Whelp, too late now. What's done is done. :o

So basically they took away his undies and gave him a funky red belt. Great job on the "new" design DC!

:dry:

and all of that, hippie hunter, makes it okay to visually screw up the artistic look of Superman?

That part is a total fail, they could have kept the costume the same while rebooting Superman.

Exactly. There's no problem, imo, in resetting continuity. It's been a mess since the Jeph Loeb days. But to mess with Superman`s iconic image? That's a BIG NO to me.

You think that's bad, you should see what they did to the Teen Titans. :o

i've never read or paid any attention to teen titans, and even i was pissed when i saw what they did to them and their costumes.

Seriously, that should be considered sexual assault of the eyes.

and all of that, hippie hunter, makes it okay to visually screw up the artistic look of Superman?[/QUOTE]
All while I was reading Hippie's long explanation, I was thinking the same thing.

I appreciate the detail. But sometimes we can OVER-THINK something. Which is what I feel DC has done.

And if as Hippie has said, they don't want to use "gimmicks", then what the heck is this?? And armored up Superman??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"