Comics Superman Gets a New Costume???

You mean this that I like to pretend is not the Teen Titans

teen_titans_promo.jpg

This has gotta be a joke!! They ARE trying to sell books right?? This reminds of that Onslaught thing at Marvel....

5542_4_001.jpg
:woot:

Even those changes were not as radical as this.....

All while I was reading Hippie's long explanation, I was thinking the same thing.

I appreciate the detail. But sometimes we can OVER-THINK something. Which is what I feel DC has done.

And if as Hippie has said, they don't want to use "gimmicks", then what the heck is this?? And armored up Superman??

You were also complaining about DC rebooting their universe and yes, it is necessary to do so.

As for the costume, some changes here and there could have been done, but minor ones to where it overall still looks like the same as what we're used to. This new suit is just flat out ugly. While Jim Lee is a great artist, he's a horrible designer.

hippie_hunter
You were also complaining about DC rebooting their universe and yes, it is necessary to do so.

As for the costume, some changes here and there could have been done, but minor ones to where it overall still looks like the same as what we're used to. This new suit is just flat out ugly. While Jim Lee is a great artist, he's a horrible designer.
This is a Jim Lee design??
If they would all communicate on what each book is doing, they wouldn't need to re-boot.
Why are they re-booting now??? Are things out of continuity?? I've been reading all of their books and I see no confusion.

Last edited:
Yeah. He redesigned most of them.

I can't believe you people haven't seen most of this s**t?

What I don't get is I've seen some Marvel characters, characters from top selling popular comics who have the underwear still, why doesn't it matter with them but it does Superman? Magneto gets to fly around dressed like a purple and red Superman and Superman himself can't?

What I don't get is I've seen some Marvel characters, characters from top selling popular comics who have the underwear still, why doesn't it matter with them but it does Superman? Magneto gets to fly around dressed like a purple and red Superman and Superman himself can't?

I think Marvel characters tend to go through more costume redesigns as it is, though, and have almost from the get-go. True, Spidey's always gets changed back to the classic red and blue suit, and neither Cap nor Thor nor the F4 have undergone that many substantial changes in their outfits - but Iron Man usually has new armor every couple of years and the X-Men seem to have more closet space than any other superhero team in print. And that's not even counting all the different costumes the Pyms have worn between just the two of them.

DC's big guns, by comparison, haven't really gone through that many costume alterations, or at least not that many SIGNIFICANT costume alterations, since the start of the Silver Age. And as a result, I think there's kind of a stigma there with some people who can't quite seem to grasp that a 70-year-old cultural icon is still wearing red underwear on the outside of his blue tights. Personally, I just look at the trunks as one big wraparound pocket (which they were, I think, in that one episode of "The Adventures Of Superman" where Superman had to race to a penitentiary to save a framed man from being electrocuted - I think he stuffed the Governor's signed pardon in them before he took off, but I might be wrong).

This is a Jim Lee design??
Jim Lee did most of the redesigns for DC. He had help from others such as Cully Hammer and Brett Booth (the man behind the Teen Titans redesigns).

If they would all communicate on what each book is doing, they wouldn't need to re-boot.
Actually they do communicate on what each book is doing. They still decided to reboot on everything that isn't working.

Why are they re-booting now??? Are things out of continuity?? I've been reading all of their books and I see no confusion.
You see no confusing because you are like me, someone who reads all the books. But to a person who hasn't ever read a comic or hasn't read comics in years, it can get a little confusing. Hence the point of the reboot.

Some things will remain in continuity, particularly the Batman and Green Lantern stuff. Other things such as Superman, Wonder Woman, the Teen Titans, etc. are getting a complete reboot.

Jim Lee did most of the redesigns for DC. He had help from others such as Cully Hammer and Brett Booth (the man behind the Teen Titans redesigns).
And Stevie Wonder apparently....:doh:
Actually they do communicate on what each book is doing. They still decided to reboot on everything that isn't working.

You see nothing confusing because you are like me, someone who reads all the books. But to a person who hasn't ever read a comic or hasn't read comics in years, it can get a little confusing. Hence the point of the reboot.
What could be confusing? Just pick up a book and read it for a month. Get the back issues you've missed. Don't burn down the whole house again! :wall:

Some things will remain in continuity, particularly the Batman and Green Lantern stuff. Other things such as Superman, Wonder Woman, the Teen Titans, etc. are getting a complete reboot
(Shakes head)

Last edited:
Please tell us this new armored suit will not be in his new movie. :dry:

the best part of it all is Superboy's mini 'cape.' LOL seriously!?

Well, at least if anyone wants to cosplay as Superboy, it will be one cheap-ass costume to make.

Here's another look at the costume.

246871_10150285829066663_502551662_9194219_719873_n.jpg

It looks like a jumpsuit.

That's not real.

It's fan art. We had a 2 day freak out already about that pic. :o

changing the belts color is one thing to basically remove the red pants too why bother even having a belt to hold nothing up LOL this is the stuff that makes you go WTF were they thinking:doh:

You mean this that I like to pretend is not the Teen Titans

teen_titans_promo.jpg
and GOD some colour please its all red gold and black... no blue green or anything else it is like looking at a Japanesse seizure anime 15 years ago....

Personally, I just look at the trunks as one big wraparound pocket (which they were, I think, in that one episode of "The Adventures Of Superman" where Superman had to race to a penitentiary to save a framed man from being electrocuted - I think he stuffed the Governor's signed pardon in them before he took off, but I might be wrong).

You are right! That episode is "Five Minutes to Doom" (1953), written by Monroe Manning, directed by Tommy Carr. Very similar to the first Superman story in Action Comics #1 (1938) written by Jerry Siegel, featuring Superman going to the Governor's home to get a pardon for someone who was wrongly convicted and about to be electrocuted in minutes.

The overwhelmingly negative reaction from the public to the altered costume in Bryan Singer's Superman Returns and the contributing negative influence of that on the overall performance of the film should have told Dan DiDio that the majority of people don't want an altered Superman costume and an angsty brooding Superman.
If Superman is going to wear this drastically altered costume by Jim Lee in the Zack Snyder Superman movie, I predict the general public are going to dislike it just like the costume in Singer's Superman Returns. People want Superman in his classic iconic costume. It's not wise to replace it.
Superman looks incomplete and naked without his red trunks. It's so iconically Superman, it's like removing Batman's cowl and replacing it with a domino mask.

changing the belts color is one thing to basically remove the red pants too why bother even having a belt to hold nothing up LOL this is the stuff that makes you go WTF were they thinking:doh:

and GOD some colour please its all red gold and black... no blue green or anything else it is like looking at a Japanesse seizure anime 15 years ago....

The artist that worked on this:
:word:

Surprisingly even as a complete OG costume supporter for MOS, I wouldn't be to against that for the movie.

Only and only if it's still clearly explained that Superman/Kal-el is still very much indestructible but that's just an alien costume with armor due to the different circumstances in Krypton versus those of Earth (meaning that they're indestructible when being powered by our yellow sun versus the sun Krypton had).

Surprisingly even as a complete OG costume supporter for MOS, I wouldn't be to against that for the movie.

Only and only if it's still clearly explained that Superman/Kal-el is still very much indestructible but that's just an alien costume with armor due to the different circumstances in Krypton versus those of Earth (meaning that they're indestructible when being powered by our yellow sun versus the sun Krypton had).

The above is exactly what so many of us have been trying to say and give as , what seems to us, an obvious explination given the circumstances of his origin etc. I don't think Lee, Johns or anyone else is giving him armor as an aid of any sort, especially that he would need it here, rather it is most likely exactly what you indicated- a Kryptonian based outfit of some sort that carrier some cultural significance. While they might be changing things up i don't think they are actually attributing his new outfit as needed armor. I have yet to understand why people continue to say "why does he need armor...I HATE DC NOW" etc..when what you stated, as so many of us have, makes the most sense, regardless if we care for it or not.:huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"