Superman Returns Superman's age in SR

gdw

Superhero
Reaction score
Well, just wondering if anyone else was able to calculate this . . .

Now, we can say that he was 30 when he went to Metropolis in S:TM based on the info from Jor-el commenting on his time training. But we al know Jor has a horrioble sense of time: "Thousands of your years" and his messup with the hours in the day.

Lets say He was around for at least two years before he left, plus the five in hiatus, so seven years later he should be 37, right???

But then it's a vague sequel so really all that means jack.

The K that Lex steals was from 78, so we assume that is when this film is saying Sups lands, at age 2.5.

From news paper dates we know sr is today, so Superman is about 30 in SR.

It's all vague history, so who knows? :p

He's between.......being legal to drink alcohol......and not yet ready to retire.

Is this really a thread or am I drunk?

Showtime029 said:
Is this really a thread or am I drunk?
You're dreaming...come back in the morning after you wake up.

C. Lee said:
He's between.......being legal to drink alcohol......and not yet ready to retire.
Good answer :up:

ROBOCOP CPU001 said:
well i'm drunk..
Then you are old enough to be Superman.

His age was never given in SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE, so no one can really tell.

-R

He is the same age he was when he left. When you see the Return to Krypton scenes, you'll see he was in stasis in the ship in a pod.

It was a sleeper ship. So being physically 30 is likely.

C. Lee said:
You're dreaming...come back in the morning after you wake up.

I am definately not dreaming.

Isn't he supposed to be like 33-35 in this movie?

Showtime029 said:
I am definately not dreaming.

Isn't he supposed to be like 33-35 in this movie?

He is supposed to be about 35, because he was 30 in the original movie and had left the earth for about 5 years.

But I don't see Superman Returns as a proper sequel anyway, I see it as a new version, that uses parts of the history of the old movies. For one thing it's set nearly thirty years later and has a completely different cast.

War Lord said:
He is supposed to be about 35, because he was 30 in the original movie and had left the earth for about 5 years.

But if he was in stasis, he wouldnt have physically aged since 30 during those five years that he was in the pod.

Like Kara Zor-El in the comics..

Superman doesn't age like a normal human. Once he reached maturity he doesn't physically age very much at all.

gdw said:
But then it's a vague sequel so really all that means jack.

Pretty much. Even though SR uses Donner's Superman as it's history and in the original film, Clark was 30 when he moved to Metropolis and became Superman, the timeline in SR is much different.

gdw said:
The K that Lex steals was from 78, so we assume that is when this film is saying Sups lands, at age 2.5.

From news paper dates we know sr is today, so Superman is about 30 in SR.

You hit the nail on the head. Superman is 31 years old in SR. Just like you mentioned, there's a reference in the film in the museum scene I believe, where it states the meteor (Kryptonite) Lex was after landed in Addis Ababa in 1978 (a nod to the original film). That would mean Superman first came to Earth as a child in '78 as well. The journey from Krypton to Earth took him three years, so that would make him 31 in SR.

Well Superman Returns isn't a part of continuity in my book. Its a bad Elseworld story. (Along with S: III and S: IV)

raybia said:
Well Superman Returns isn't a part of continuity in my book. Its a bad Elseworld story. (Along with S: III and S: IV)

got that right

BenReilly19 said:
Pretty much. Even though SR uses Donner's Superman as it's history and in the original film, Clark was 30 when he moved to Metropolis and became Superman, the timeline in SR is much different.

To answer your question though, Superman is 31 years old in SR. There's a reference in the film in the museum scene I believe, where it states the meteor (Kryptonite) Lex was after landed in Addis Ababa in 1978 (a nod to the original film). That would mean Superman first came to Earth as a child in '78 as well. The journey from Krypton to Earth took him three years, so that would make him 31 in SR.

Awesome find. So if he was born in the Krypton equivalent of 1974, since I think he was about 3-4 when he landed. He would have been around 27 when he left Earth.

He would technically be 32/33 in SR but his body is still at 27 thanks to the stasis.

This also means he likely began his career as Superman in the late 90s at the age of 25....5 years earlier than Chris Reeve's Superman.

Hope that helps.

raybia said:

They are all Elseworld stories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"