Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4

teewee1432

Civilian
Reaction score
Millennium Films Plans Texas Chainsaw 4
Source: Deadline
January 8, 2013

Following a strong opening weekend for Texas Chainsaw 3D, Millennium Films has made plans to develop another sequel, Texas Chainsaw 4. Deadline says the project will shoot later this year in Louisiana.

Texas Chainsaw 3D, which hit theaters January 4, continues the story of Tobe Hooper's 1974 original. Directed by John Luessenhop, the film has already grossed more than $22 million.

The title Texas Chainsaw 4 is a bit perplexing, however, as the project would represent the eighth film in the overall franchise and, theoretically, only the third film to follow the "continuity" of Texas Chainsaw 3D.

Carl Mazzocone will produce with Hooper, Mark Burg, Avi Lerner, Trevor Short, John Thompson, Danny Dimbort, Lati Grobman and Christa Campbell executive producing.

I don't get how this could be considered TCM4?

I think the 4 is just an incorrect assumption from the Deadline article writer.

trolling-limp-bizkit-by-zantho-o.gif

Keep milking, milking, milking

We all saw the numbers and knew this studio likes cranking them out yearly. Not really surprised.

Actually, I beliave this movie would be Texas Chainsaw Massacre 5. First there was the one in 1974. Then Part 2 with Dennis Hopper in the 1980's. Then Part 3 starring Vigo Mortenson came out in the late 1980's or early 1990's I think. Then came Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The New Generation (which I think starred a young Rene Zelwiger), but most fans write that one off as not being a part of the original continuity (much like Halloween 3). Then Texas Chainsaw 3D is the next movie in the original continuity (which if you discount Next Generation, is Part 4). So that would make the upcoming film Part 5.

The only other Texas Chainsaw movies I can think of are the Platinum Dunes remakes by Michael Bay, which is an entirely different continuity, and thus not a part of this series.

TC3D is a direct sequel to the original movie. Kind of like how H20 ignored Halloween II-6. So, this should be 3?

Eh, I will be most interested in a report on if this is going to be a direct follow-up to the last one with Daddario back as a bad guy? I suspect it will not be.

TC3D is a direct sequel to the original movie. Kind of like how H20 ignored Halloween II-6. So, this should be 3?

Eh, I will be most interested in a report on if this is going to be a direct follow-up to the last one with Daddario back as a bad guy? I suspect it will not be.

Actually H20 ignored the existance of Halloween 3-6, they maintained the events of Part 2 in their continuity ("Michael Myers is dead Mom! You said yourself you watched him burn!")

And I haven't seen TC3D yet, so I don't know 100% what it's about (please no spoilers, as I do intend to see it soon). It could be the TCM version of H20, or it could be considered a sequel to Leatherface: TCM3. Or even a post 1974, pre Dennis Hopper sequel (maintaining the original continuity but telling a story that takes place between the original and Part 2).

In any event, the math is totally off on this proposed sequel's title.

yeah, Texas Chainsaw 3D is a direct sequel to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, doing away with all the original sequels.

so, in this new revised continuity, it would go Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Texas Chainsaw 3D, and now this forthcoming sequel.

Actually, I beliave this movie would be Texas Chainsaw Massacre 5. First there was the one in 1974. Then Part 2 with Dennis Hopper in the 1980's. Then Part 3 starring Vigo Mortenson came out in the late 1980's or early 1990's I think. Then came Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The New Generation (which I think starred a young Rene Zelwiger), but most fans write that one off as not being a part of the original continuity (much like Halloween 3). Then Texas Chainsaw 3D is the next movie in the original continuity (which if you discount Next Generation, is Part 4). So that would make the upcoming film Part 5.

The only other Texas Chainsaw movies I can think of are the Platinum Dunes remakes by Michael Bay, which is an entirely different continuity, and thus not a part of this series.

Oh, I get it. it could be considered 4 if you ignore 3 while taking 5 into consideration then you add 6 but don't include part 2 while 8 should be involved even though 9 is a sequel to 2 but 10 is a reboot of 1 which leads to the events of part 84.

I'm not sure who else saw this but its walk out of the theater bad. I love horror, even bad horror but this movie was an absolute joke. Busta Rymes Halloween bad....

The chicks were hot though.

Haven't seen the new TCM, probably won't. I think continuity in this series is all screwed up. For example:

TCM came first, then Tobe Hooper made the sequel, which is actually somewhat of a parody rather than a true sequel. Next came TCM 3, which ignored the second film and did its own thing. After that followed Next Gen., which sucked beyond belief but also ignored the previous two, and did its own terrible thing. After that, there was the remake, which again, was its own thing and had an actually related, albeit not very good prequel. (I'd like to chime in here though, and say I've always thought the remake, not necessarily the prequel though, could be a sequel to the original as well, considering family tended to show up in the sequels not present in the first film.) And now we have 3D, which is a sequel to the original film again.

I wish they'd just can anymore of these and go back to the original series for Elm Street and Friday the 13th, and give us that awesome Freddy vs Jason vs Ash script that got turned into a comic book a while back. The world needs more Bruce Campbell and Robert Englund really needs a better send out as Freddy.

:bdh:
No guys, Chainsaw the horse, don't beat it!

Last edited:
does it complicate things that Texas Chainsaw 3D makes a reference to Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation?

Millennium Films Plans Texas Chainsaw 4
Source: Deadline
January 8, 2013

Following a strong opening weekend for Texas Chainsaw 3D, Millennium Films has made plans to develop another sequel, Texas Chainsaw 4. Deadline says the project will shoot later this year in Louisiana.

Texas Chainsaw 3D, which hit theaters January 4, continues the story of Tobe Hooper's 1974 original. Directed by John Luessenhop, the film has already grossed more than $22 million.

The title Texas Chainsaw 4 is a bit perplexing, however, as the project would represent the eighth film in the overall franchise and, theoretically, only the third film to follow the "continuity" of Texas Chainsaw 3D.

Carl Mazzocone will produce with Hooper, Mark Burg, Avi Lerner, Trevor Short, John Thompson, Danny Dimbort, Lati Grobman and Christa Campbell executive producing.

Hmmm interesting,,, Is this the one with that crazy guy and his chainsaw?

does it complicate things that Texas Chainsaw 3D makes a reference to Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation?

I'm guessing you mean the makeup and allusion to crossdressing? If so, that idea goes back to a scene cut from the original film.

Haven't seen the new TCM, probably won't. I think continuity in this series is all screwed up. For example:

TCM came first, then Tobe Hooper made the sequel, which is actually somewhat of a parody rather than a true sequel. Next came TCM 3, which ignored the second film and did its own thing. After that followed Next Gen., which sucked beyond belief but also ignored the previous two, and did its own terrible thing. After that, there was the remake, which again, was its own thing and had an actually related, albeit not very good prequel. (I'd like to chime in here though, and say I've always thought the remake, not necessarily the prequel though, could be a sequel to the original as well, considering family tended to show up in the sequels not present in the first film.) And now we have 3D, which is a sequel to the original film again.

Continuity in this series is indeed something to behold.

Personally, my view of III and "The Next Generation" are that they take place within their own universes. Establishing that the events of August 1973 DID transpire, but keeping things PURPOSELY vague so in order not to be exactly, or even considered, a direct follow-up. More like, if anything, hopeful restarts that never got off the ground for further sequels (imagine that).

Then you have the Remake and the Prequel. Which are firmly connected. Nothing much to say there.

But now we have TC3D ... which is essentially a reloaded version of Part 2, and like Part 2, firmly holds the original in continuity without being vague about it whatsoever. I just got back from seeing TC3D, and although I liked the opening credits montage that highlights the original 1974 film, I much prefer the storyline of Hooper's Part 2. Personally, I've never liked the idea of other family members popping up out of no where. In viewing the original, the family came across as a very small, tight knit family who were especially deranged to say the very least.

I wish they'd just can anymore of these and go back to the original series for Elm Street and Friday the 13th, and give us that awesome Freddy vs Jason vs Ash script that got turned into a comic book a while back. The world needs more Bruce Campbell and Robert Englund really needs a better send out as Freddy.
I would be up for that. Really enjoyed the couple of comic book series that were put out a few years back.

Continuity in this series is indeed something to behold.

Personally, my view of III and "The Next Generation" are that they take place within their own universes. Establishing that the events of August 1973 DID transpire, but keeping things PURPOSELY vague so in order not to be exactly, or even considered, a direct follow-up. More like, if anything, hopeful restarts that never got off the ground for further sequels (imagine that).

Then you have the Remake and the Prequel. Which are firmly connected. Nothing much to say there.

But now we have TC3D ... which is essentially a reloaded version of Part 2, and like Part 2, firmly holds the original in continuity without being vague about it whatsoever. I just got back from seeing TC3D, and although I liked the opening credits montage that highlights the original 1974 film, I much prefer the storyline of Hooper's Part 2. Personally, I've never liked the idea of other family members popping up out of no where. In viewing the original, the family came across as a very small, tight knit family who were especially deranged to say the very least.

Overall, what was your opinion of TC3D? I see a lot of people here dislike it, and I like TCMII so if it isn't as good as that one, it probably isn't great. Then again, nothing tops Hopper's "Lord of the Harvest" line. I also hated the family randomly showing up in the sequels, not just for continuity, but I wasn't a fan of a alrge family either. Another problem was, when I was younger and assumed all the sequels shared continuity, it made it really confusing when you had the original family, then you had Chop Top in Part II, who wasn't in Part 3, but Vigo Mortenson and the little girl (there was a little girl, right? It's been a long time sinc eI've seen it.), and had the whole "the saw is family" crap. Not even gonna touch Next Gen (which sadly was actually the first TCM film I got my hands on when I was young. Boy am I glad I went back to see the original.)

I would be up for that. Really enjoyed the couple of comic book series that were put out a few years back.
You have no idea how much I'd kill for this movie. I am surprised by the Evil Dead remake and how it looks decent, but like Freddy, Ash needs one more go around. Meeting Bruce Campbell earlier this year really made me wan tit a lot more.

Overall, what was your opinion of TC3D? I see a lot of people here dislike it, and I like TCMII so if it isn't as good as that one, it probably isn't great. Then again, nothing tops Hopper's "Lord of the Harvest" line.

Yeah, I consider TC3D to be a much lesser move than TCM Part 2. Although I don't think it's as awful as TNG, the problem is that there are elements that are completely nonsensical, and the overall aim of the film is terribly misguided. I really enjoyed the opening credits highlight reel of the original TCM, the audio of an escaped and hysteric Sally speaking about the family, along with the opening shot of the officer driving up the road, and passing up the 'Black Maria' truck on his way up the dirt road to the ghoulish Sawyer farmhouse, but it's there that my idea for a direct sequel ends.

I also hated the family randomly showing up in the sequels, not just for continuity, but I wasn't a fan of a alrge family either. Another problem was, when I was younger and assumed all the sequels shared continuity, it made it really confusing when you had the original family, then you had Chop Top in Part II, who wasn't in Part 3, but Vigo Mortenson and the little girl (there was a little girl, right? It's been a long time sinc eI've seen it.), and had the whole "the saw is family" crap.
Yeah, tell me about it. That's why I consider III and TNG to be within their own little universes. III even goes to the extent to mention a W.E. Sawyer being executed in a gas chamber sometime during the early-mid 1980's during the opening scroll. I assume the implication is that W.E. is supposed to be Drayton 'the cook' Sawyer, but we know Drayton's demise in Part 2 had absolutely nothing to do with a gas chamber whatsoever. It doesn't even honor the name given to him by the Hooper film. Essentially saying a "Chainsaw Massacre" did transpire in 1973, but at the same time being very vague about the circumstances. Truth be told, with that sort of approach, I don't even know why New Line bothered putting III in the title anyways. It should have been titled, "TCM: Leatherface". Especially considering the notion at the time was to branch out further New Line sequels.

Not even gonna touch Next Gen (which sadly was actually the first TCM film I got my hands on when I was young. Boy am I glad I went back to see the original.)
Ouch. That's a rough start, but atleast you went back to the classic.

Yeah, I consider TC3D to be a much lesser move than TCM Part 2. Although I don't think it's as awful as TNG, the problem is that there are elements that are completely nonsensical, and the overall aim of the film is terribly misguided. I really enjoyed the opening credits highlight reel of the original TCM, the audio of an escaped and hysteric Sally speaking about the family, along with the opening shot of the officer driving up the road, and passing up the 'Black Maria' truck on his way up the dirt road to the ghoulish Sawyer farmhouse, but it's there that my idea for a direct sequel ends.
Well, I guess I'll save the theater cash. Although I previously said I probably wouldn't see it, I probably will, even if it is in the Red Box. For that matter, I own a copy ofr Next Gen, for...horror collection purposes.

Yeah, tell me about it. That's why I consider III and TNG to be within their own little universes. III even goes to the extent to mention a W.E. Sawyer being executed in a gas chamber sometime during the early-mid 1980's during the opening scroll. I assume the implication is that W.E. is supposed to be Drayton 'the cook' Sawyer, but we know Drayton's demise in Part 2 had absolutely nothing to do with a gas chamber whatsoever. It doesn't even honor the name given to him by the Hooper film. Essentially saying a "Chainsaw Massacre" did transpire in 1973, but at the same time being very vague about the circumstances. Truth be told, with that sort of approach, I don't even know why New Line bothered putting III in the title anyways. It should have been titled, "TCM: Leatherface". Especially considering the notion at the time was to branch out further New Line sequels.
I never really thought about it being Drayton, and I guess once I found out the continuities were different it didn't much matter. I've pretty much always assumed the original happened at some point in time regarding all the sequels, and thats it. Although I admit, trying to connect the original to Next Gen doesn't even make any sense, because that film is so far away from anything resembling the original film. Worse yet, Next Gen was written and directed by Kim Henkel, the other writer who wrote the original film with Tobe Hooper.
TCMIII really only matters to me for Ken Foree being pretty awesome as he always is. Vigo Mortenson becomes pretty enjoyable once you realize the roles he moved on to play.

Ouch. That's a rough start, but atleast you went back to the classic.

Yeah. It was a number of years though. I think I saw Next Gen. in 2002, when I was like 12, then I saw the remake with a friend and his family on vacation in 2003, and finally saw the original that year. I did like the remake, although the prequel was pretty unnecessary.

Well, I guess I'll save the theater cash. Although I previously said I probably wouldn't see it, I probably will, even if it is in the Red Box. For that matter, I own a copy ofr Next Gen, for...horror collection purposes.

I know what you mean. With franchises, I'll get the lesser entries just to have the complete series.

I never really thought about it being Drayton, and I guess once I found out the continuities were different it didn't much matter. I've pretty much always assumed the original happened at some point in time regarding all the sequels, and thats it. Although I admit, trying to connect the original to Next Gen doesn't even make any sense, because that film is so far away from anything resembling the original film. Worse yet, Next Gen was written and directed by Kim Henkel, the other writer who wrote the original film with Tobe Hooper.
TCMIII really only matters to me for Ken Foree being pretty awesome as he always is. Vigo Mortenson becomes pretty enjoyable once you realize the roles he moved on to play.

True. It's just stunning where Henkel tried to take the mythology with his TNG attempt. As bad as I dislike the notion of family members suddenly appearing out of nowhere, the whole left-field appearance by the Illuminati is absolutely horrid.

Yeah. It was a number of years though. I think I saw Next Gen. in 2002, when I was like 12, then I saw the remake with a friend and his family on vacation in 2003, and finally saw the original that year. I did like the remake, although the prequel was pretty unnecessary.

I think the prequel was only made because of how they boxed themselves in with the remake by having R. Lee Ermey's Sheriff Hoyt unable to appear in a sequel. I understand there is a comic book series that takes place as a sequel to the 2003 remake, but I've never read it.

The order I watched the series was; the original, and III on the same day. Think I finally saw Part 2 a few weeks later. Viewed a preview for TNG, but it was a number of years before it was released. Then the 2003 remake, prequel, and now TC3D.

I'm guessing you mean the makeup and allusion to crossdressing? If so, that idea goes back to a scene cut from the original film.

thats the scene. dont know anything about it being a cut scene from the original. weird.

I know what you mean. With franchises, I'll get the lesser entries just to have the complete series.
Yeah. I have 5 versions of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers because the exist, not necessarily legit, but I own them. (Original Cut, Producer's Cut, TV Cut, Workprint, Director's Cut, plus extra rare bonus features.) Some franchises I can skip, but horror franchises especially, I just feel I have to have them all. Granted, I think my TCM Next Gen is still plastic wrapped.

True. It's just stunning where Henkel tried to take the mythology with his TNG attempt. As bad as I dislike the notion of family members suddenly appearing out of nowhere, the whole left-field appearance by the Illuminati is absolutely horrid.
:facepalm: Wasn't there vague references to aliens too? Regardless, makes you wonder how much involvment Henkel really had in the original TCM. It isn't the first time a film maker has made a terrible sequel, but man, its so far out there.

I think the prequel was only made because of how they boxed themselves in with the remake by having R. Lee Ermey's Sheriff Hoyt unable to appear in a sequel. I understand there is a comic book series that takes place as a sequel to the 2003 remake, but I've never read it.

The order I watched the series was; the original, and III on the same day. Think I finally saw Part 2 a few weeks later. Viewed a preview for TNG, but it was a number of years before it was released. Then the 2003 remake, prequel, and now TC3D.
Ermey was one of the better parts on the remake, so I can see that. Wasn't aware there was a sequel comic book, although there were Freddy and Jason comic series as well, though connected to the original series. I remember that Jason vs Leatherface comic from way back when, which was sort of ok.

TCMII was the last one I saw. I saw The Beginning in theaters, sort of a double date which was a terrible double date anyway.

And I haven't seen TC3D yet, so I don't know 100% what it's about (please no spoilers, as I do intend to see it soon). It could be the TCM version of H20, or it could be considered a sequel to Leatherface: TCM3. Or even a post 1974, pre Dennis Hopper sequel (maintaining the original continuity but telling a story that takes place between the original and Part 2).

In any event, the math is totally off on this proposed sequel's title.

Don't waste you money. It's like the writers of TCM3D dug through Rob Zombie's garbage and used his discarded notes from Devil's Rejects and Halloween.

Also it's not titled Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4 , that was a typo as confirmed at "Shock til you drop".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"