The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - - Part 87

Discussion in 'The Amazing Spider-Man Movies' started by Thread Manager, May 15, 2017.

1. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

So, Peter being a complete jerk and showing no regard with people is fine because they love each other. I am sorry, that does not excuse it. Spider-Man saving people is not dickish. Though that guy lost his flower, Styx could cause way more harm. That is not being a jerk. That is trying to do your best to stop something worse. That is noble. Not caring about the well-being for others cause you locked eyes with your girlfriend is just reckless, on top of bad writing. That is the kind of recklessness Peter is not guitly of. You know, great power and great responsibilility and all.

2. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Peter is absolutely responsible for being reckless as Spidey at times, but at his heart he is trying to help. The problem with this scene and why it is particularly awful is it is Peter being reckless for no reason at all, and he is doing something against his entire thematic code. THAT is the problem.

3. ironwez20 Registered

Plus he just looks like a jerk doing that. Like I said he breaks the guys mirror.

4. Another_Fool Registered

I'm not sure you fully comprehended what I was saying. So I'm going to go step by step here to address what I'm saying, and then what you are saying here to make sure we're at least disagreeing on the same page.

My Point: Again, about the Styx thing, I thought I made it abundantly clear in my post that you quoted, that I myself don't think Spider-Man was a jerk in the situation. I was purposely manipulating the depiction to say, see how one could easily twist the scenario to fit their own judgement of a character if they wanted. Which I think people were doing to a lesser degree about the street crossing scene.

Now to your point. I never said that its ok for him to cross the street "recklessly" because they were in love. And besides that's not what you said before my prior post. You said in that he was trying to show off for his girlfriend - that it was an act of ego. Which, unless you're really playing mental aerobics the way I did with the Styx example, the street-crossing scene was not depicting. At the end of it all, if you look back at my post I do say it's a lame scene. I'm with you on the writing quality of the scene. I think it's a corny way to show how romantic they are. I would even say yea they make Peter look a bit like an idiot. I mean they even have a driver calling him a moron. But I just don't interpret it as a character assassination the way this thread mostly treated it the past several posts.

There are just way bigger problems with the movie that complaining about the way Peter's character is depicted in the scene seems so minor by comparison that it's way too nitpicky for my tastes.

Well you do have a good understanding of the overall character - not trying to sound condescending when I say that.

5. Kane52630 Veridis Quo

:up:

6. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

Some drivers do that, even if it's the fault of the pedestrian. Not necessarily apologize, just pullover and check on the reason his mirror was suddenly broken.
    You make it sound like he intentionally breaks it. :hehe:

7. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Nail on the head.

8. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

Your comments are proper.

9. Kreem Pi Registered

Glad we came to an agreement. Garfield-man is a jerk and not befitting of Spidey-like behavior.

10. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

I just looked up the issue Another described a scene from, it's in Amazing Spider-Man #332, and Spidey is a self entitled prick in that scene.

Styx came to him in a park where a photoshoot was going, Spidey webbed his hand and rendered one hand unusable for the duration, Stone flies Styx up in the air, and Spider-Man drops him on that botanists roof, instead of simply webbing the other hand of Styx Spidey opted to toss rare plants pots to save HIS hide, and then gave the poor botanist who is a victim of Spider-Jerk a couple of snide remarks.

When Spidey is a jerk in the comics he can be really bad, and David Michillinie wrote a nice Peter Parker more often than not.

A car's right view mirror hitting his elbow is not all out dickish behavior from him. I hate it when people choose to walk slow in front of moving cars, but to call anyone a complete jerk for one mildly nasty act is too hard on the absent minded pedestrian.

11. Kreem Pi Registered

He wasn't absent minded. He was completely lucid. He did it as an act of dickish narcissism. And it was more than just broken mirrors. He most likely disrupted traffic on the entire street. You could hear soundeffects of clanging and screeching. People could've been hurt just because of Spidey's self absorbed idiocy. This is not Spideyish behavior.

12. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

Ok, I'll give that he was aware, seeing how he placed his hand before the hood of the car that stopped. Most of the time he passed between cars without much ruckus.

13. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Quoted for truth. A true INO.

14. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

That acronym reads like this to me.

[​IMG]

15. First Avenger Registered

16. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

I'd agree if it was one of the worst CBMs out there, but it's not even a bad one, it's a decent movie with some underwhelming moments.

17. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

It's not the worst CBM imo. But this is a bad film. Not even just bad for the character, it's just technically bad from a movie making standpoint. The writing is sub par to downright awful, the direction feels more like a 'made by committee' rather than a unified or single vision, the editing is bad, and there's no real character development.

Look, as much as these things are just my opinion, if the movie was good and successful we'd be watching ASM 3 in theaters along with the planned spinoffs. But no, the movie is a franchise killer. It's so bad that a deal was struck to help save Sony and Spider-Man and now thankfully we get to enjoy one of the best Spidey movies ever made. A decent movie with underwhelming moments doesn't force a studio's hand to scrap their plans and make amends.

18. Infinity9999x Registered

I would agree with this. I was more lenient of ASM2 when it first came out, but as more time goes by the more I'm annoyed with it. It's not a good film, but it's not one of the worst comic films made by any stretch. The chemistry of Garfield and Stone is enough to elevate the material somewhat. It's about on par with SM3 for me, in different ways. SM3 is just goofy and bat****e crazy, whereas ASM2 is just poorly put together.

19. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

In a recent run of movie viewing, I ripped movies to shreds, I checked every moment, every scene to comment on them, and the editing is not really a problem with this movie.
    It has its problems for sure, but they're not that massive or grand. I personally don't find lack of character development in film to be disturbing, and I do agree that it shows at points that it was worked on by a committee of different cooks with different ideas of how to mix the omelette.

20. Herofan Registered

Can following up the decently-received X-Men: First Class with Days of Future Past be considered a pretty big course change?

21. Spider-Sonic Web-Slinger

There are a number of reasons why Peter wouldn't give Harry his blood, and it wasn't because he was being a jerk.

Peter's gotta protect himself, and giving Harry his blood would likely give away his identity and Peter knows this. This is Oscorp we're talking about, so experimenting with Peter's blood to find a cure for Harry just wouldn't stop there.

As Peter himself said in the film, theres no telling what his blood could do to Harry. It might work, it probably won't though. It could kill him or turn him into a monster.

Harry was a moron for thinking Spider-Man would just hand over his blood. Nobody with a brain would do that. I do think it was a bad idea for Spider-Man to meet with Harry only to reject him. If I was Peter, I would've just stuck to my story; "I don't know him." Never would have said "I'll talk to him."

22. First Avenger Registered

This movie imo was literally the 'Batman and Robin' of this generation of CBMs. Even if it's probably not as bad,the sets,the villains,the tone constantly reminded me of it.

23. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

Aside from the hair style of Max Dillon, I don't see much of a reminder.

24. Kreem Pi Registered

He was already dying. :funny:

I don't think the threat of death will halt an already dying man from trying something experimental.

His "best" friend was dying. End of question. It was a jerk move to blow him off like that.

25. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

Ummmm, nope, not a jerk move.

It's like the time Mariah Crawford was uncertain about the treatment she had developed to stop the mutation disease Spider-Man suffered from in the 90s cartoon, could have killed Spider-Man, or speed up the process.

There is risk, and then there is gamble, Harry chose to gamble in his desperation.