The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - - - Part 87

I would like to thank Sony, Marc Webb and Andrew Garfield for making one of the worst superhero films of all time. Without this, Homecoming wouldn't have happened. Thanks guys! :oldrazz:

Garfield's Peter is the worst iteration of Spider-man I've ever seen so I agree wholeheartedly, but what is the bolded referring to? It's been a minute since I watched ASM 2 in it's entirety.

The scene where he approaches Gwen Stacy. He crosses a busy road nonchalantly knowing he won't be harmed. But he makes many vehicles grind to a halt. You can hear over the soundtrack sounds of crashes and chaos. All of this played over happy music about the reunification of our leads.

So, **** cars, **** the traffic, **** damaged vehicles and maybe worse, at least our leads, the most important persons in the world, are united. This is the kind of tone deaf BS you get from Snyder. Very Randian.

Garfield's Peter is the worst iteration of Spider-man I've ever seen so I agree wholeheartedly, but what is the bolded referring to? It's been a minute since I watched ASM 2 in it's entirety.

This happened when Peter officially reunites with Gwen after she broke up with him earlier on in the movie. The part where they have that walk together (with the cringey dialogue) and she reveals she's going to England?

He sees her across the street, and acts so dumbfounded upon seeing her that he walks across traffic while only looking at her, and you can hear cars screeching and crashing. Peter gave no s**ts about that traffic or the well-being of the drivers on the road. He was just so distracted by Gwen's beauty. :whatever:

How? Peter had no regard for the safety of others because of a woman. THAT IS NOT PETER!!!!

I can think of several better reasons to hate Garfield's Spider-man other than that, but that moment is pretty indicative of the half-baked, scattershot writing in ASM 2.

I can think of several better reasons to hate Garfield's Spider-man other than that, but that moment is pretty indicative of the half-baked, scattershot writing in ASM 2.

I don't think the movies intentionally tried to make Peter an unlikable tool, but the ineptitude behind the making of the movie made it come across as such. You can tell the movie was going for a cutesy moment, but they failed.

Kind of like how in the beginning of the same film, the movie is all like "Look at us, giving Spider-Man all of the time in the world to say these quips!" Yeah, he was being quippy ... All the while cop cars and people are getting mowed down. :funny: Great job, movie.

Exactly. Everything they did was so hollow and thoughtless that it can all be easily picked apart with a fine-tooth comb.

How about when Spider-man refused to give his best friend a pint of blood in a last ditch attempt to save himself?

Well he didn't technically know what it would do, but in hindsight it was probably no worse than what did happen.

Peter should have just told Harry something to the effect of "I don't know if I can catch Spider-Man at the right moment to talk to him."

That would have been a helluva lot better than having him show up at Harry's as Spider-Man to essentially tell Harry that he's going to let him die ... To his face. Our hero, ladies and gents. :funny:

Didn't he see something about spider venom works only with his lineage DNA?
And for the car moment with Gwen, I didn't hear a car hitting the break hard to hit another car, or a hand print on the hood of another car.

If this Peter Parker is a jerk through and through, I'll write fan fiction combining Sherlock Holmes and Peter Pan.

I picked the joking in the face of Alexie poking fun at it too many times, I can definitely agree with you on that moment.

The level of discussion/hate the last couple pages over such an insignificant scene as Peter crossing the street is kind of embarrassing. Guys. It's not character assassination in the vein of Dr Doom in the FF movies. I mean, hell, one simply has to read Amazing Fantasy #15 to see that Parker can get lost in thought to the point of walking without noticing oncoming vehicles.

I rather focus on the poor structure and the overbaked ideas before I waste my breath on something as minor as that.

The level of discussion/hate the last couple pages over such an insignificant scene as Peter crossing the street is kind of embarrassing. Guys. It's not character assassination in the vein of Dr Doom in the FF movies. I mean, hell, one simply has to read Amazing Fantasy #15 to see that Parker can get lost in thought to the point of walking without noticing oncoming vehicles.

I rather focus on the poor structure and the overbaked ideas before I waste my breath on something as minor as that.

Amen to this.

Even as an adult, how many times during the JMS run was Peter being preoccupied and causing accidents or being an out-and-out jerk? (The "I'M THE LUCKIEST GUY IN THE WORLD!" "SHADDUP!" scene comes to mind).

The thing is this: I don't find Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker to be endearing, charming, or remotely likable in the slightest. Throughout the entirety of the first TASM, I thought that Peter Parker was a disrespectful and entitled punk to everyone. And that carried over onto the sequel, too.

So, when you have a moment in TASM2, when he walks into oncoming traffic without a care in the world, it's hard for me to not think he's being a jerk there, too. If he had awkwardly walked into traffic because of being so enamored with Gwen and then said a quick and sheepish "sorry!" to some of the drivers, that would have been okay.

Also that "I'm the luckiest guy in the world" moment in the comics was adorable. Why? Because Peter Parker was an established character who was a good spirited person who was getting over some really bad luck. Plus, he responded to a random, stereotypically outspoken NYC person who was telling him to shut up first. It was an "I don't care about your negativity! I'm so happy!" moment. Not being a jerk at all, if you ask me.

Peter wasn't lost in his thoughts. He was lucid and aware. Hence why he extended his hand to signal an oncoming car to let him pass through the middle of a crowded street white the traffic was moving. It was an exercise in pure vanity.

Nah that was dumb and out of character to walk into oncoming traffic. He even broke some guys mirror. The guy wasn't likable.

I would like to thank Sony, Marc Webb and Andrew Garfield for making one of the worst superhero films of all time. Without this, Homecoming wouldn't have happened. Thanks guys! :oldrazz:

Seconded.

Without the failure of epic proportions that is ASM2, we wouldn't have the awesome Homecoming.

Nah that was dumb and out of character to walk into oncoming traffic. He even broke some guys mirror. The guy wasn't likable.
At first I was like :huh:, then I opened the scene on youtube to go WHOA, I never noticed this before.
That cab driver didn't stop to question anything or ask for a refund, or even apologize himself/herself for any possible injury. All is good?

Why would the cab driver apologize? Peter is the one who decided to walk through a traffic heavy road while the cars were moving and the light was green.

The thing is this: I don't find Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker to be endearing, charming, or remotely likable in the slightest. Throughout the entirety of the first TASM, I thought that Peter Parker was a disrespectful and entitled punk to everyone. And that carried over onto the sequel, too.

I don't know. He did try to stick up for that kid Flash was bullying at the beginning of TASM. Also stuck up for that girl in the gym class. Thought he was overall pretty sweet to Gwen. He did feel he had a responsibility in taking down Curt Connors. Went out of his way to invoke plot armor onto Max Dillon at the beginning of TASM2. I could keep going if you like. Listen, there is a ton wrong with TASM2 and I can concede that a good portion of TASM is underwhelming, but your strong emphasis on how unlikable the Garfield Parker portrayal is, is such an overreaction to what is actually presented on screen that I just kind of roll my eyes.

Considering that the portrayals by Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are often the only things that are critically acclaimed about the ASM movies, you're more in the loud minority that has a problem with Garfield.

Peter wasn't lost in his thoughts. He was lucid and aware. Hence why he extended his hand to signal an oncoming car to let him pass through the middle of a crowded street white the traffic was moving. It was an exercise in pure vanity.

Look, in the comics, Spider-Man once took all of a botanist's flowers to defend himself against the villain Styx, in which led to the disintegration of the botanist's entire garden of rare flowers. If I really wanted to, I could stress how inconsiderate Spider-Man was for ruining that botanist's career when he could've found other ways to fight off Styx. He didn't even apologize to the botanist. What a jerk right? Do you see how silly that is of me look so hard at a couple panels to make a point. That's what I just witnessed for 2 pages.

Again, you're talking to a guy who thinks TASM2 is a sub-par movie so I'm not trying to make you guys like the movie, just think it's getting a little silly now.

In your above example, Peter was saving people from a villain. Not crossing the street and trying to show off for his girlfriend. One act is an attempt to be heroic. The other act is just to elevate his own ego. That is not heroic.

In your above example, Peter was saving people from a villain. Not crossing the street and trying to show off for his girlfriend. One act is an attempt to be heroic. The other act is just to elevate his own ego. That is not heroic.

Ok. You kind of missed my point, but made my point as well. The example I gave with Styx, I wasn't saying I myself think Spider-Man was a jerk. My actual opinion of those panels, I think it was just a comic relief action panel. My point was that if I wanted to, I could twist that all to show off how much of a jerk he was by pure mental aerobics.

Yet you make my point by saying "crossing the street trying to show off for his girlfriend". That is also a bit of mental aerobics because that's not what the scene was trying to depict. If he came up to Gwen and said, "Hey did you see what I just did, pretty cool huh?" then yes that is solid evidence he was trying to show off. But thats not what happened. That scene if anything, was trying to show, hey look at these two kids who are so in love. Once they looked at each other they just locked in and it was as if nothing was inbetween them. Even Gwen didn't notice that he caused all that traffic commotion. It's a lame scene. I even said I think the scene is whatever. But c'mon, "he's such a jerk look at him holding up traffic". I just think you guys are getting too triggered about the scene for the wrong reasons.

So, when you have a moment in TASM2, when he walks into oncoming traffic without a care in the world, it's hard for me to not think he's being a jerk there, too. If he had awkwardly walked into traffic because of being so enamored with Gwen and then said a quick and sheepish "sorry!" to some of the drivers, that would have been okay.

Also that "I'm the luckiest guy in the world" moment in the comics was adorable. Why? Because Peter Parker was an established character who was a good spirited person who was getting over some really bad luck. Plus, he responded to a random, stereotypically outspoken NYC person who was telling him to shut up first. It was an "I don't care about your negativity! I'm so happy!" moment. Not being a jerk at all, if you ask me.

:up:

Exactly. There was no nobility in that scene.

Ok. You kind of missed my point, but made my point as well. The example I gave with Styx, I wasn't saying I myself think Spider-Man was a jerk. My actual opinion of those panels, I think it was just a comic relief action panel. My point was that if I wanted to, I could twist that all to show off how much of a jerk he was by pure mental aerobics.

Yet you make my point by saying "crossing the street trying to show off for his girlfriend". That is also a bit of mental aerobics because that's not what the scene was trying to depict. If he came up to Gwen and said, "Hey did you see what I just did, pretty cool huh?" then yes that is solid evidence he was trying to show off. But thats not what happened. That scene if anything, was trying to show, hey look at these two kids who are so in love. Once they looked at each other they just locked in and it was as if nothing was inbetween them. Even Gwen didn't notice that he caused all that traffic commotion. It's a lame scene. I even said I think the scene is whatever. But c'mon, "he's such a jerk look at him holding up traffic". I just think you guys are getting too triggered about the scene for the wrong reasons.

Nail on the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"