The animated series in 2006

Hellmistress said:
News on Tad's blog is that Mr John Hurt is reprising his role as Professor Bruttenholm (Broom). Man, this just gets better and better ...

HM

Groovy. :up:

I assume it will be Bruttenholm in flashbacks.

TheVileOne said:
I assume it will be Bruttenholm in flashbacks.

Apparently not. Young 'Broom' is seen in flashbacks (He's played by John Arnold Taylor, who is a seasoned voice-over artist and also does an uncanny impression of Mr Hurt), but in the second film the storyline is about Hellboy's concern for 'Broom' as an old adversary returns to haunt his 'father'.

And they've gone for 'Broom' rather than 'Bruttenholm'. Check the blog to see why.

http://hellboyanimated.typepad.com/

HM

Ok, then it means that Bruttenholm isn't dead in this and they are only LOOSELY based on the movies?

TheVileOne said:
Ok, then it means that Bruttenholm isn't dead in this and they are only LOOSELY based on the movies?

This is very much more comic-based - Abe isn't telepathic, for example. There is a nod to the movies, but I'm very happy that it is more comic-oriented. Indeed, fans of the comics will recognise the premise of the first movie instantly.:)

HM

Whoo! So Bruttenholm's alive in this series? Awesome! When I saw the movie I realised Bruttenholm had great potetial and that that it was a pity to kill him off. I'm glad to see we'll be having him appear here!

Since when is this a series? As I understand it, it's two direct-to-TV/DVD animated movies and that's all it is.

Bishop2 said:
Since when is this a series? As I understand it, it's two direct-to-TV/DVD animated movies and that's all it is.

Quite correct - it isn't a series yet. There are two 70-minute animated movies, due to be screened Stateside in October, but there are high hopes that it will go to series.

Hellmistress said:
This is very much more comic-based - Abe isn't telepathic, for example. There is a nod to the movies, but I'm very happy that it is more comic-oriented. Indeed, fans of the comics will recognise the premise of the first movie instantly.:)

HM

Well going by the comics, Bruttenholm is dead there as well. He died in the first Hellboy story.

TheVileOne said:
Well going by the comics, Bruttenholm is dead there as well. He died in the first Hellboy story.

There are several Hellboy stories that happen before Bruttenholm's death.

Flexo said:
There are several Hellboy stories that happen before Bruttenholm's death.

Yes, but all those were long in the past, not present.

TheVileOne said:
Yes, but all those were long in the past, not present.

Was it confirmed that the story is set in the present?

Well if Korrigan, Abe, and Liz are there, and the Bruttenholm scenes are not flashbacks, and he's not dead . . .

TheVileOne said:
Well if Korrigan, Abe, and Liz are there, and the Bruttenholm scenes are not flashbacks, and he's not dead . . .

That doesn't mean anything. Abe, Liz, and Kate have been part of the BPRD since the 80's, and Bruttenholm didn't die until 1994.

Flexo said:
That doesn't mean anything. Abe, Liz, and Kate have been part of the BPRD since the 80's, and Bruttenholm didn't die until 1994.
Well seeing as to how young Kate and Liz look, and how I seriously doubt they would set it in the 80's . . . I can only presume its the present.

TheVileOne said:
Well seeing as to how young Kate and Liz look, and how I seriously doubt they would set it in the 80's . . . I can only presume its the present.

But wait, if they look young doesn't that make it more likely that it's set in the past?

Think of this as an Elseworlds. What you see here has no true comparison to current canon, comicbook/movie or other.

This is its own thing. Closer to the comicbook, but not to be construed as the same thing.

Do these movies have any kind of titles yet?

Ok, so they are only loosely based on the movies, and totally separate from the comics. Which is why Bruttenholm is alive.

Is this going to be a dvd movie,or is it going to be a season series that will air on t.v.?

GoldGoblin said:
Is this going to be a dvd movie,or is it going to be a season series that will air on t.v.?

It'll be a DVD movie and will be shown on Cartoon Network.

TheVileOne said:
Ok, so they are only loosely based on the movies, and totally separate from the comics. Which is why Bruttenholm is alive.

That's actually fairly common practice with animated spin-offs.

Man, I can't wait to actually see a clip from this thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"