Sequels The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lmao Now Marvel's got Joss sowing discord amongst the nerdsites.

Would love this. Wish we could see more of him. Hopefully if Black Widow is well received in CA: TWS then it could open up the possibility of a solo film for her Feige said was possible, then in it include Hawkeye. If not at least start expanding on their relationship a lot more. We saw a glimpse of the real Hawkeye in Thor and now we need more of that.

I really hope all of this happens. Hawkeye got so underused in the first film so I hope he gets more development in the sequel, and a Black Widow/Hawkeye film would be amazing. We got intriguing hints of their relationship and I would love to see that expanded on. Their scene was the only one that gave Clint any depth, so hopefully this is one of the dynamics Whedon will be delving into more.

With the recent reveal of Tony having several Iron man armors that he can control via remote, does anyone else think that Iron Man 3 would have been a good time to possibly introduce Ultron, especially if they were able to have a short cameo or appearance by Hank Pym before his transformation into Ant-Man? I mean, instead of having dozens of armors, they could have been dozens of Ultron Units, and this would have actually been similar to what they did in the cartoon series, especially since in the MCU, tony decided to build several more of these things as a response to the chitauri invasion.

Marvel doesn't want to shoe-in another Avengers plotline into Iron Man 3 like they did in Iron Man 2.

Marvel could just introduce Pym in Avengers, have him adapt Stark's armor into a sentient peace keeping robot based on his own brain patterns and then have Ultron come from that if thats he way they want to go.

Sounds like further delving into the groups dynamics and relationships is what they are going for in Avengers 2

Before Phase Three of the shared Marvel Universe kicks-off with Ant-Man in late 2015, The Avengers 2 will conclude the 2nd Phase earlier that same year. When asked about director Joss Whedon’s “go deeper, not bigger” comment, Feige said:

“I don’t know exactly what he meant when he said “deeper”. But, similar to Iron Man 3, we’re not saying, “Now it’s gotta be even bigger and more aliens come and there’s a giant monster!” The most exciting thing to us about the Iron Man franchise is Tony Stark and his journey. The most exciting thing to us about the Avengers franchise is the interaction amongst those characters. It’s putting them in situations that you wouldn’t expect to see them in. It’s that kind of fun; and the relationships between the characters in the Avengers, which I loved. Almost whatever the heck else is happening is gravy in that franchise, because all I care about is Bruce and Tony, Tony and Steve, Widow and Bruce – and how Thor fits into it, because he’s always the outsider amongst outsiders. So I think that’s where the value lies. And going deeper amongst those characters in those relationships.”
Kevin Feige SFX Magazine

“I’m not looking at Phase One as grounded and Phase Two as cosmic and Phase 3 as magic. The films are all so eclectic and different from each other that you can’t overarchingly categorize them like that.

we’re not saying, “Now it’s gotta be even bigger and more aliens come and there’s a giant monster!” The most exciting thing to us about the Iron Man franchise is Tony Stark and his journey. The most exciting thing to us about the Avengers franchise is the interaction amongst those characters. It’s putting them in situations that you wouldn’t expect to see them in. It’s that kind of fun; and the relationships between the characters in the Avengers, which I loved. Almost whatever the heck else is happening is gravy in that franchise, because all I care about is Bruce and Tony, Tony and Steve, Widow and Bruce – and how Thor fits into it, because he’s always the outsider amongst outsiders. So I think that’s where the value lies. And going deeper amongst those characters in those relationships.”

Thank you, Kevin Feige.

I've been arguing this for the past year or so with people who refuse to listen to reason. No overarching story; no need for the threat level to continue to increase from film to film; no need for a trilogy or an overarching linked story. Just an episodic franchise, with a new story with each telling. Just like in the comics.

Thank you, Kevin Feige.

I've been arguing this for the past year or so with people who refuse to listen to reason. No overarching story; no need for the threat level to continue to increase from film to film; no need for a trilogy or an overarching linked story. Just an episodic franchise, with a new story with each telling. Just like in the comics.

I think Thanos fits perfectly into this because they could use him as a means to explore the characters. Avengers 1 was the team versus an alien army. Avengers 2 should be the team versus one singular threat. A threat so powerful that it builds and destroys their relationships. Something that can make them have to rethink everything they've every thought before.

That's why I love Thanos as a single villain, too. In Avengers, they never really worked together outside of the tracking shot. There was too much going on. With Thanos, they actually have to work as a team, and I'm guessing it may not go too well out of the gate.

Thank you, Kevin Feige.

He literally doesn't even come close to saying that in that quote. lol

lol wut

Where did he say there are no overarching stories?

That's asinine, the entire MCU is an overarching story.

Yeah, it's an overarching story with individual stories going on at the same time...like the comics. It's really cool they're able to do that on the movie screen.

He, along with RDJ, actually said they are laying groundwork for the whole of Phase 2 and some of 3 starting with IM3. That sounds pretty overarching to me

He, along with RDJ, actually said they are laying groundwork for the whole of Phase 2 and some of 3 starting with IM3. That sounds pretty overarching to me

They have their stuff together. The master plan will be unfolded brilliantly.

He literally doesn't even come close to saying that in that quote. lol

lol wut

Where did he say there are no overarching stories?

That's asinine, the entire MCU is an overarching story.

Yeah, it's an overarching story with individual stories going on at the same time...like the comics. It's really cool they're able to do that on the movie screen.

They have their stuff together. The master plan will be unfolded brilliantly.

“I’m not looking at Phase One as grounded and Phase Two as cosmic and Phase 3 as magic. The films are all so eclectic and different from each other that you can’t overarchingly categorize them like that.

You guys read a different quote than the one that I posted. Again. In bold, and in jesus red-letter, to help you out.

Unless I'm missing something, Feige is talking about the desire to classify each individual phase as a certain sub-genre. He's not talking about through-lines that are present throughout the MCU.

You guys read a different quote than the one that I posted. Again. In bold, and in jesus red-letter, to help you out.
I think you need to read it again, lol

He's talking about not categorizing the phases into rigid genres

Yeah, they got you on this one, Sam. He's not talking about story there at all, only genres.

Thank you, Kevin Feige.

Yeah and this, like the comics, leads to something sustainable rather than something that blows its load after 2 or 3 films.

Here we go again...

No, I'm not going to go through all that again.
Everyone who posts regularly here knows how each of us feels about that issue.

But I think that Feige has made it clear that each solo movie is supposed to stand under its own weight, and that it's a wild goose chase for fans to keep looking for connections that aren't there. He's made it abundantly clear that the MCU is not going to be Avenger-centric; so not every solo (or non-Avenger) film is going to arbitrarily tie in directly with the phase-du-jour storyline for the latest Avengers film. Hell, Feige's latest comments begin to cast doubt on the alleged post-credit GOTG tie-in we're all expecting from IM3, and even on our assumptions that the characters and plotlines of GOTG will directly inform Avengers 2.

I love Avengers, as a movie and a comic: I've been collecting the comic since 1975. But it's always been a separate franchise from each of its solo components (Iron Man, Cap, Thor), and the Phase II movies will prove to follow that model. Otherwise, why even bother making the solo and non-Avenger films at all, if you're going to put all your eggs in one basket?

Who else would fit the magic mold besides Dr Strange and Thor? Or will those movies just be the main parts of Phase III?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"