Sequels The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hulk had 2 movies prior to Avengers, so it's not a valid comparison.

I hope they don't come up with another weird explanation. They should be mutants, its just that the word 'mutant' and 'Magneto' should never be used when speaking about them.
They can call them freaks of nature or whatever, but it should be stated they were born different. Except for Wanda, where they can focus on the magical aspect of her history if they want.

yes, and a large portion of the people who saw Avengers had never seen those two movies, and they still loved Hulk. My GF could give a s*** about the Hulk movies, but she was in awe of him in Avengers. she didn't need no backstory

totally agreed on the second part tho

but back to my other question: Uatu appearing, would anyone else be as geek-happy to see that as me??

but back to my other question: Uatu appearing, would anyone else be as geek-happy to see that as me??

I'd love to. But he might be tied in to the set of characters Fox has in the FF agreements.

It would be sweet to see the Watchers in the MCU though, specially now that they're going to be expanding it to a galactic scope.

With Mark Millar now heading up the Fox version of the Marvel universe, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they'd work something out to tie the movies together.

I think it's much more likely that Disney/Marvel teams up with Sony than FOX. Because of poor deals signed by Ari Avad (and no, I haven't seen the contracts but I have read interviews in which he admits his culpability in the poorly negotiated agreements), Disney/Marvel receives a pittance on their FF and X-Men properties, while they rake in the cash on Spidey due to having 100% ownership of his merchandising rights.

I can see Disney/Marvel continuing to put pressure on FOX by refusing to provide merchandising support for the franchises FOX holds, launching competing properties like GOTG and Inhumans, and hoping that the X-Men franchise, which peaked at the box office back in 2006, continues to falter.

I think it's much more likely that Disney/Marvel teams up with Sony than FOX. Because of poor deals signed by Ari Avad (and no, I haven't seen the contracts but I have read interviews in which he admits his culpability in the poorly negotiated agreements), Disney/Marvel receives a pittance on their FF and X-Men properties, while they rake in the cash on Spidey due to having 100% ownership of his merchandising rights.

I can see Disney/Marvel continuing to put pressure on FOX by refusing to provide merchandising support for the franchises FOX holds, launching competing properties like GOTG and Inhumans, and hoping that the X-Men franchise, which peaked at the box office back in 2006, continues to falter.

Fox seems to be throwing all it's chips on the table for DOFP. First Class wasn't a flop by any means, but in a bad box office year it was 3rd behind Thor and Cap as far as superhero films. It didn't have 3D boost, but it also fell off the map pretty quickly.

DOFP could be a game changer, but then again it doesn't have Jackman, which seemed to drive that franchise. Even as horrible as Wolverine was, it outperformed first class, which was a much better movie.

So the question remains, can the presence of Stewart, McKellum, Barry and others with the new class, raise the bar enough going forward.

As far as the Fantastic Four reboot, this is sounding worse by the minute. They are possibly changing the race of HT (does this mean sue is a black woman or Johnny is adopted?), and possibly looking to upset fans even worse than the Tim Story movies.

Jackman will be in DOFP...

^Jackman is in DOFP, as is Halle Berry.

OK, didn't realize Jackman was in. I knew Berry was. If Jackman is in, this could be a serious threat.

Yeah but my point is that Marvel has already approached Sony about cross pollinating the movies. For example Disney is allowing the Stark Logo to be used in TASM, and likely Stark Tower will appear in the skyline of NYC in TASM2 as they had planned to do with TASM.

Did you deliberately ignore what I said regarding that Stark Industries motorcycle, or did you just not see it?

Unless I missed something, the Stark Industries motorcycle that was spotted near the TASM set in Rochester had nothing to do with the movie.

Did you deliberately ignore what I said regarding that Stark Industries motorcycle, or did you just not see it?

Unless I missed something, the Stark Industries motorcycle that was spotted near the TASM set in Rochester had nothing to do with the movie.

What was it doing there then? Seems kinda odd.

Someone who lives there owns it.

Yeah but my point is that Marvel has already approached Sony about cross pollinating the movies.

Proof?

For example Disney is allowing the Stark Logo to be used in TASM

Proof? (other than that motorcyle...which was already debunked)

and likely Stark Tower will appear in the skyline of NYC in TASM2

That's only speculation.

There's really no evidence that suggests that Marvel and Sony have any interest in actually combining these characters into a unified cinematic universe.

Building and logo cameos (of which there currently are none) are hardly grounds for claiming that these studios are actively trying to get Spider-Man into the MCU...

Proof?

Proof? (other than that motorcyle...which was already debunked)

That's only speculation.

There's really no evidence that suggests that Marvel and Sony have any interest in actually combining these characters into a unified cinematic universe.

Building and logo cameos (of which there currently are none) are hardly grounds for claiming that these studios are actively trying to get Spider-Man into the MCU...

Woah back up there, I didn't suggest anything close to what you're saying.

First if the motorcycle thing was debunked then I missed it. Mark Webb had it on his twitter feed, so blame him.

Secondly, I'm not saying that they are making Spider-man part of the MCU. They were trying to get Oscorp and Stark Tower into the skyline for the respective movies, they would be there as easter eggs and nothing more.

Thirdly, what I'm talking about is Marvel being able to refer to them as mutants or children of a mutant, whether or not he is named in the movie, that's it. Do they in anyway acknowledge the larger Marvel Universe. I'm not saying that Jackman is going to show up in Avengers 2.

Disney bought Star Wars and Lucasfilm because George offered the property and company to them. He approached them, not the other way around. The only way Marvel is going to be able to add the X-Men to the MCU is if FOX approaches them with the possibility of doing so, and there's 'no chance in hell' of that actually happening.
Go back 10 years. There's no chance in hell of an Avengers movie ever being made, working and being successful. There's no chance in hell of an Iron Man movie making a billion dollars.

And think about what you said. It worked because Lucas approached Disney. In other words Lucas was so willing to sell that he actually went to them. So you think if they had approached a guy who was that willing to sell without prompting he would have said no just because they'd approached him? It all depends on what Fox want and what Marvel are prepared to offer, not who approaches who. If I rugby tackle someone on the street and then offer them £200 for their Batman DVD they'll probably sell it to me even though I had the nerve to approach them. If they approach me with with every intent to sell, winking & fluttering their eyelashes but ask for £200...

Honestly, I wouldn't agree with those that say that mixing the continuities established for the MCU and X-Men Universe is a good idea because neither of those continuities were created with that intent as far as we know and there would be more plot holes and troubles if they attempted to do so and that would just be lazy in my own opinion as well, in the same manner as when Bryan Singer just used Donner's first film as his continuity for SR.

Merging Fox's X-Men universe with the MCU is a really bad idea. The X-Men universe doesn't even make sense on its own. The continuity has been so butchered that I don't know what is and isn't canon anymore, and I doubt DOFP is going to fix all of that. Heck, even if it does fix the entire continuity, it will probably be through a deus ex machina contrivance that will make us say "Well, it doesn't make much sense but at least the continuity is fixed now".

With Mark Millar now heading up the Fox version of the Marvel universe, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they'd work something out to tie the movies together.

Anything is "possible".

But realistically it's a giant clusterf- having the studios haggle over how they want their expensive property represented and of course the cut of the profits.

Merging Fox's X-Men universe with the MCU is a really bad idea. The X-Men universe doesn't even make sense on its own. The continuity has been so butchered that I don't know what is and isn't canon anymore, and I doubt DOFP is going to fix all of that. Heck, even if it does fix the entire continuity, it will probably be through a deus ex machina contrivance that will make us say "Well, it doesn't make much sense but at least the continuity is fixed now".

Entirely agreed.

I've never been a fan of mixing continuities that weren't created with that intention to begin with since the number of continuity issues that would arise from that action would be enormous, which is another reason why I never liked the idea of possibly mixing Webb's Spider-Man universe with Marvel's Cinematic one.

Entirely agreed.

I've never been a fan of mixing continuities that weren't created with that intention to begin with since the number of continuity issues that would arise from that action would be enormous, which is another reason why I never liked the idea of possibly mixing Webb's Spider-Man universe with Marvel's Cinematic one.

Personally, I would love to see Webb's Spider-Man universe merged with the MCU. I think it would fit in just fine. It even feels like an MCU movie to me (to an extent). I also don't think that would cause any big continuity issues since Spider-Man and his side of the universe has always been more isolated from teams and the rest of the Marvel universe. He is different than, for example, the X-Men who often don't completely fit in the Marvel universe of the comics either.

And think about what you said. It worked because Lucas approached Disney.

Lucas wasn't actively looking to sell his company, though; he only did it because selling it to Disney gave him the opportunity to virtually guarantee its long-term future survival.

Without the Disney buyout, Lucasfilm would've survived in the hands of Kathleen Kennedy - whom Lucas personally selected as his 'heir apparent' - but at some point it might've ended up being forced to declare bankruptcy. With the Disney buyout, Lucas can rest assured that the company he started will live on in perpetuity.

At any rate, let's move on. I still don't think FOX would ever agree to a deal to 'cross-pollinate' its X-Men universe with the MCU.

Edited to add:

Tony Stark, you said above that Mark Webb posted the motorcycle pic thing on his Twitter feed. Would you mind offering proof of that?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back