Sequels The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, what?

They did $1.511 billion worldwide and another $91 million in DVD sales. I'm not sure what the BluRay sales were though.

Sorry, I was misinformed. I thought they did pass $2 billion.

But hey, $1.6 billion is pretty close right?

So rich famous people suck for wanting money, but even richer non-famous people don't?

Those guys in the board room have it made. So much of society isn't even conditioned to question them.

They both suck for wanting more money than they require.

They both suck for wanting more money than they require.

Is this a joke? The money has to go somewhere! Joss Whedon even commented that a guy like Feige is underpaid. The only star on the roster making grandiose money is RDJ. The rest of the cast is massively underpaid when it comes to money earned from The Avengers.

DEADLINE: Marvel is notoriously cheap and some of the Avengers cast will want more money for the sequel. How could that affect Avengers 2?

WHEDON: I’m not going to comment specifically because I’m not privy to that sort of stuff and I don’t think it’s my place to talk about. In general terms, yes – Marvel can be very cheap, God knows. They can also be sensible and frugal. They have a very small infrastructure and they’re not heaping this money on themselves. I don’t know a producer who’s done more and is paid less than Kevin Feige.

I didn't anticipate this money issue that the cast has, it came out of the blue.

The money will be made either way, and NONE of them "requires" it. Why do the actors suck for asking for the same amount they could make anywhere else?

Hemsworth isn't A-list, but he's not unknown either. He got twenty-five times as much money on a mediocre performer like Snow White as he got from doing Thor and The Avengers. He could likely make five times his current Marvel pay doing low-key roles in dramas and romantic comedies.

He's also not signed, so he has no current obligation to Marvel. He's simply saying that he'd like more or he won't sign on again for more.

I didn't anticipate this money issue that the cast has, it came out of the blue.

What world are you living in that you didn't anticipate these actors wanting a more respectable piece of the pie after the $1.6 billion dollar behemoth that was the Avengers?

This didn't come out of the blue. This has been building and it's only common sense that it would.

I think this is a normal process and we're overreacting a bit. This probably happens a lot, it's just that the public doesn't really see it.

Everyone will be in Avengers 2.

I think this is a normal process and we're overreacting a bit. This probably happens a lot, it's just that the public doesn't really see it.

Everyone will be in Avengers 2.

Well it'll certainly be interesting. Whedon spoke about the problems that arose when acting paydays were getting absorbant like during Jim Carrey's run on atop of Hollywood. Is it the actor or the franchise? Batman and James Bond have been recast and found success. Granted we're talking about a lot more time having passed .... while the MCU is really only what, 5 years in it's inception? It's just a baby.

Re-casts are inevitable at some point though.

It came out of the blue to me because I couldn't believe they were making an amount as low a $200,000 compared to Downey's $50 million.

Is Evans really 0.4% as valuable as Downy is? Even Downey doesn't think so.

Why is Marvel even fighting this battle? Downey got his already and even acknowledges that he's been more than well paid. He's also on the side of his costars.

So when they renegotiate with Downey (who's also no longer under contract) how's about they NOT piss away an enormous amount on just him? I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him being reasonable if they also lowered their demands from him (such as no more solo movies, which he doesn't seem all that interested in).

Then they could take a portion of that same money and distribute it to the other major stars.

I'm sure contract negotiations are way more complicated than that. But this conflict seems ridiculous when Marvel has been QUITE willing to make it rain on Downey while giving everyone else less than half of one percent of his pay.

The 200,000 figure is understated, none of the main cast actually made that little. Notice how Deadline never specified which actors made that amount

This is an agency using Deadline and exploiting a rabid fanbase in order to squeeze more money out of Marvel, who is notoriously cheap

In other words, this is business as usual :funny:

It is really cool though how we have NEVER heard anything or gotten a hint about any of this from any of the actors. Evans to Downey to Hemsworth, right on down the line. They've handled it like total pros.

I really can't understand how Marvel would even consider letting any of these guys go over a financial dispute. It's not like they're looking for $20MM paydays. They're looking for like $5MM up front for a film that will likely make a BILLION dollars (and if not, consider it monies owed for the first film). You pay the 5 returning Avengers not named Tony Stark that $5MM and you have yourself one $25MM actor... or like an Angelina Jolie or Will Smith. Only you get to have 5 now iconic characters locked up and happy for another successful film. Why not bite that bullet?

I also wonder if Downey will make a move and maybe renegotiate where maybe he takes a pay cut from his "$70-$80MM" he made from The Avengers to leave some money available for the other cast members. Kind of like in sports where a player takes a "hometown discount" (i.e. Tom Brady) so that the team's ownership has money left over to build a better team around that marquee star.

Characters who need to be in the next film are:
Downey's Tony Stark/Iron Man
Hemsworth's Thor
Evans' Captain America
Johansson's Black Widow
Jackson's Nick Fury
Ruffalo's Bruce Banner/Hulk

These characters all have to appear in the film. They are the most popular and now, after the first film and their solo efforts, the most iconic of the group. If they lose or can't afford Renner for Hawkeye, he can be written out of the film and replaced. But these guys Marvel cannot afford to let walk. The same goes for Hiddleston's Loki if he were to appear.

These actors own these roles. Don't let dollars ruin the present, modern golden-age of superhero films. They are RAKING in money. The actors deserve to get their share, too. It would be a terrible shame if this whole thing were to come down because of something so stupid as greed. Especially after all the good will the studio and talents seemed to have through this whole process to this point.

-R

Last edited:
What would be the point of an Oscar campaign? The academy wouldn't have nominated it for anything else anyway.

No idea. It didn't deserve anything else. It'll all be resolved very soon though I don't see Hemsworth coming back for Thor 3 or Evans coming back for Ca 3. They both very weary of being in all these movies as the same character especially Evans. Plus they're both becoming very popular

It happened with Tobey Maguire on Spider-Man 2 as well. Eh, what can ya do.

Is it really too much to ask for 3 Iron Man films, 3 Thor films, 3 Captain America films and 3 Avengers films?

I don't understand why money is an issue or we're talking about Marvel Studios like they're this small studio still.... They are backed by DISNEY. Doesn't that mean that Disney can help pick up the tab?

-R

The 200,000 figure is understated, none of the main cast actually made that little. Notice how Deadline never specified which actors made that amount

This is an agency using Deadline and exploiting a rabid fanbase in order to squeeze more money out of Marvel, who is notoriously cheap

In other words, this is business as usual :funny:

I agree 100%. Most of the quotes sound like they come from whiny agents or managers.

I never heard Rourke actually complain about his pay for Iron Man 2. How much did he get paid for Immortals? Did anyone report that?

Also that line about Marvel changing how movie business is done, they want to change how business is done. Honestly, doesn't sound so bad to me.

IMHO in the last decade budgets and actor salaries got out of control.

Listen, I love Chris Hemsworth and his performance as Thor, but am I really supposed to feel bad that he's grumpy about his fitness regime and egg white diet?

Robin91939 said:
I really can't understand how Marvel would even consider letting any of these guys go over a financial dispute. It's not like they're looking for $20MM paydays. They're looking for like $5MM up front for a film that will likely make a BILLION dollars. You pay the 5 returning Avengers not named Tony Stark that $5MM and you have yourself one $25MM actor... or like an Angelina Jolie or Will Smith. Only you get to have 5 now iconic characters locked up and happy for another successful film. Why not bite that bullet?

Exactly. Every other major studio would be fine paying $25 million for an A-lister, and not even make a third of the money that The Avengers did.

I understand that movies are a business, which is something that I've brought up myself on numerous forums whenever I've seen fanboys whining about why things weren't a certain way.

But in business, your pay must be competitive. Otherwise, you risk losing a star to another studio that wants to pay him way more to appear in a forgettable romantic comedy.

Would something like that really help Marvel?

Is it really too much to ask for 3 Iron Man films, 3 Thor films, 3 Captain America films and 3 Avengers films?

I don't understand why money is an issue or we're talking about Marvel Studios like they're this small studio still.... They are backed by DISNEY. Doesn't that mean that Disney can help pick up the tab?

-R
Why did these guys sign the deals then?

No one held the gun to their head.

Technically, yeah. But I'm sure they got some kind of loophole stipulation.

Exactly. Every other major studio would be fine paying $25 million for an A-lister, and not even make a third of the money that The Avengers did.

I understand that movies are a business, which is something that I've brought up myself on numerous forums whenever I've seen fanboys whining about why things weren't a certain way.

But in business, your pay must be competitive. Otherwise, you risk losing a star to another studio that wants to pay him way more to appear in a forgettable romantic comedy.

Would something like that really help Marvel?

If they aren't competitive, why did the actors sign up for six movie deals?

Not all of them did though. According to the article, Evans just signed for Avengers 2 when he signed for Winter Soldier. Hemsworth was done after Thor and Avengers, and is currently unsigned.

If they aren't competitive, why did the actors sign up for six movie deals?

Not every one of them signed for 6 movies .... and I doubt when they were at the negotiating table they had thoughts of $1.5 billion worldwide for The Avengers.

As demonstrated by the Hunger Games situation, renegotiations are completely normal in these situations.

BTW, I saw your comments about Hemsworth's training and it's my personal opinion that you naively dismiss what that's like, not to mention his committment in a way that no other MCU actor has shown.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but Robert Downey, Jr. is on Jimmy Kimmel right now wearing an Iron Man shirt. God, I love him.

Not all of them did though. According to the article, Evans just signed for Avengers 2 when he signed for Winter Soldier. Hemsworth was done after Thor and Avengers, and is currently unsigned.

Evans told me he was signed on for six movies. The deal started out as 9 movies but then it was cut down to six. He signed a deal for six movies.

BTW, I saw your comments about Hemsworth's training and it's my personal opinion that you naively dismiss what that's like, not to mention his committment in a way that no other MCU actor has shown.

Hemsworth dreading a diet of egg whites and working out IMHO sounds like a good problem to have in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"