Sequels The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marvel still acts like a stand-alone company, greenlighting and funding their own movies, so them belonging to Disney doesn't seem to mean that much when it comes to spending money.

Of course they should have money to spend with all of their great success though.

If Cap & Thor also benefit from this mythical Avengers boost :woot: Marvel are going to be in (even more) excellent financial shape!

Mjölnir;25790547 said:
It takes a lot both physically and mentally to do it. I've competed at a high level in martial arts so I know from experience how taxing it can be to train really hard, and it's not like Chris just needs to train to stay fit. He will have to be on a schedule for training, food and rest, which affects his life pretty significantly during that time.

It's easy to say that it's not a problem until you've experienced it. Most people can't even work out to stay moderately fit for that matter.

It's a committment that requires a large amount of sacrifice. Hemsworth was eating every 2.5 hours, training both in the morning and then again at night. No junk foods allowed ..... a very strict diet of chicken, eggs, fish, greens. I remember in an interview he did he said he almost couldn't take the chicken anymore, that if he saw another one he'd probably kill it. LOL.

In fact he went on to say his whole life was eating, working out, and sleeping because that's the dedication it took to get that big and tack on over 20lbs of pure muscle. He said he had never worked out before that training took place. The guy was so dedicated he showed up to filming and was too big for his suit.

What he did was a far cry from what the average person who goes to the gym does. The workouts were grueling, the eating was because he had to (basically not enjoyable whatsoever), and he had no life. I've been committed to my workout for a very long time now and while I've yet to achieve the level Hems did, I can tell you it's not easy at all. You have to be of strong mind.

Last edited:
Maybe not for Avengers 2, but how would you guys feel about characters like War Machine joining the team in A3?

I really liked his character in IM3, much better than the previous films. Instead of only saying "Don't do this, Tony" he actually helped him a lot in the end. But I'd love to see his character expanded in the Avengers sequels. Maybe having him as Rhodes in the sequel but by A3, he'd be a full time member.

Now back on subject, I'm surprised people are so quick to think actors deserve millions of millions of dollars and are prepared to screw an entire Avengers trilogy just to do it. I'm not on the side of the producers or the actors but I don't think people deserve $50 million paycheques for a couple of months work when that money should go on making a better movie.

Shouldn't they be happy to be making something that makes so many people happy? It's not even about the money because as soon as they get $50 million they want $60 million.

This isn't about 'the way things are'. It's, in my opinion, the way things should be. That actors should be happy to be part of something that is really good and will live on beyond their lifetimes. So many actors would kill for that.

They don't want $50 million though. Downey got $50 million, a deal that everyone including himself knows to be too much.

The rest of the main players like Evans, Hemsworth, Johansson, etc. wanted $5 million up front with better box office bonuses. According to the article, they got $200,000 each for their previous solo movies as well as The Avengers. Marvel's offer for future movies was a whopping $500,000 to $1 million more.

Each of them is famous and established enough to make way more than that on any drama or romantic comedy. Roles which aren't so demanding and don't require them to train like elite athletes for a half year in advance.

The Avengers made $1.5 billion at the box office. If we assume that a little more than half of that made it back to the studio, then Marvel received around $800 million for it. The budget for the movie was reported to be $220 million, plus $100 million more in advertising.

There are hundreds of millions of dollars in profit which will not go into making a better movie, but into the pockets of others in the company.

Either way, some rich people will get way richer from the sequels. The stars want a little more of that pie.

After all this renegotiation hype dies down, I think everyone will return for Avengers 2. The only question remains: will RDJ return? I honestly think he'll come back but only for the next two Avengers films.

That works. They don't need to make Iron Man solo movies until we're sick of the character (though I'm sure they will).

They don't want $50 million though. Downey got $50 million, a deal that everyone including himself knows to be too much.

The rest of the main players like Evans, Hemsworth, Johansson, etc. wanted $5 million up front with better box office bonuses. According to the article, they got $200,000 each for their previous solo movies as well as The Avengers. Marvel's offer for future movies was a whopping $500,000 to $1 million more.

Each of them is famous and established enough to make way more than that on any drama or romantic comedy. Roles which aren't so demanding and don't require them to train like elite athletes for a half year in advance.

The Avengers made $1.5 billion at the box office. If we assume that a little more than half of that made it back to the studio, then Marvel received around $800 million for it. The budget for the movie was reported to be $220 million, plus $100 million more in advertising.

There are hundreds of millions of dollars in profit which will not go into making a better movie, but into the pockets of others in the company.

Either way, some rich people will get way richer from the sequels. The stars want a little more of that pie.

The actual budget was $300 M production, with $175 M promotion. Combined with the 5 cents Downey got off of every dollar Avengers made, Marvel didn't see a single cent of profit until $1.1 B. There's no room for $800 M profit. More like $200 M.

Last edited:
Maybe not for Avengers 2, but how would you guys feel about characters like War Machine joining the team in A3?

I really liked his character in IM3, much better than the previous films. Instead of only saying "Don't do this, Tony" he actually helped him a lot in the end. But I'd love to see his character expanded in the Avengers sequels. Maybe having him as Rhodes in the sequel but by A3, he'd be a full time member.

My dream is that every hero in the first three phases of the MCU shows up in Avengers 3's 3rd act to help combat Thanos. That'd include War Machine, Falcon, Bucky, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and probably Black Panther.

I know that is ridiculously overstuffed, and really difficult to do properly, but the MCU version of the Infinite Gauntlet story would be awesome.

Wow, with all this financial tension, It'd be a miracle if any of the original cast shows up in A3. By that time the entire cast will be way too expensive I think unless Marvel can find a way to lock them into that movie too.

If I was Marvel, I'd lock them into A3 now, at least considering that most phase 1 films were budgeted under your average 3D Animated feature.

Last edited:

I don't think he'd ever become a permanent core member of the team. Maybe a film or 2 alongside Iron Man, 1 or 2 as Iron Man's replacement, otherwise as cameo or supporting member who can leave at any time.

My dream is that every hero in the first three phases of the MCU shows up in Avengers 3's 3rd act to help combat Thanos. That'd include War Machine, Falcon, Bucky, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange, and probably Black Panther.

I know that is ridiculously overstuffed, and really difficult to do properly, but the MCU version of the Infinite Gauntlet story would be awesome.

I don't see how it's even fiscally possible given what we know about production costs, promotional costs, and salary demands.

That's why in some ways I had hoped the MCU was completely CGI.

I don't see how it's even fiscally possible given what we know about production costs, promotional costs, and salary demands.

That's why in some ways I had hoped the MCU was completely CGI.

A Completely CGI MCU could've potentially cost more.

The costs of a CGI MCU would probably go down after the 1st attempt though when all the main character animations have been worked on. And if it takes place on Earth rather than an alien world like for Avatar I don't think it would be bank busting relative to a regular full shoot Avengers budget.

I think what would be best is to have the core of the group (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk), Falcon, Ant/Giant Man and one other, be it War Machine or Star Lord fighting Thanos while the rest are off working in labs or fighting off other aliens/henchmen.

I think what would be best is to have the core of the group (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk), Falcon, Ant/Giant Man and one other, be it War Machine or Star Lord fighting Thanos while the rest are off working in labs or fighting off other aliens/henchmen.

Yeah, something like that works.

I see the merits of that but I think that would pretty much remove the attention from The Avengers in an Avengers movie. That's why Thanos might be a risky villain since I think the heroes should be able to defeat it on their own, preferably without any deux ex machina macguffin doing everything.

If there's to be a bunch of other heroes I'd at least prefer that they fight the battle somewhere else to allow The Avengers to be the ones going up against the main threat.

Big question Is will marvel agree to fortune Robert Downey JR wants to do 2 sequels to
the avengers or will they continue being cheap and just recast.

I wouldnt mind if that rumor about him appearing in CA TWS are true ..even if its just Rhodey helping sheild and cap commenting on the suit upgade

Big question Is will marvel agree to fortune Robert Downey JR wants to do 2 sequels to
the avengers or will they continue being cheap and just recast.

Even RDJ agree that his pay was excessive... has nothing to do with being cheap. RDJ isn't negotiating for HIS salary. he's negotiating for the rest of the crew

It just dawned on me today that the chance of seeing Hank and Janet have now gone close to 0% with the news of Mags kids. I want all four. :csad:

Even RDJ agree that his pay was excessive... has nothing to do with being cheap. RDJ isn't negotiating for HIS salary. he's negotiating for the rest of the crew
RDJ's pay was pure faith. He bet on himself and the Avengers and he won big.

The actual budget was $300 M production, with $175 M promotion. Combined with the 5 cents Downey got off of every dollar Avengers made, Marvel didn't see a single cent of profit until $1.1 B. There's no room for $800 M profit. More like $200 M.

Are you sure about those numbers? I can't imagine Disney being okay with no return on investment unless the movie makes over a billion.

What source has stated a $300 million production budget plus $175 million more in advertising?

The sources that I've seen have stated $220 million for production and $100 million for advertising.

CBS Minnetsota Movie Blog

Box Office Mojo

LA Times

The sources above and more are pretty consistent on $220 million.

$1.5 billion x 0.5 = $750 million, assuming theaters take half (I've actually read that the studio usually retains about 55%, in which case this jumps up to $825 million)
$750 million - $50 million = $700 million, after Downey's reported cut of the box office
$700 million - $320 million = $380 million minus the budget and advertising
$380 million - $1 million = $379 million after paying Evans, Hemsworth, Johansson, Ruffalo, and Renner (should I even count this separately from the budget?)

Marvel made out pretty damn good.

I agree that signed contracts should be binding, but that doesn't mean that Marvel's not being cheap with the actors.

Marvel Studios hasn't been cheap overall, with the $150-200 million budgets each movie has received.

However, they seem set on squeezing out the actors and minimizing their pay relative to what they could get anywhere else, working on smaller films. $200,000 is what you'd expect for a disposable D-List nobody in a supporting role, not what a lead actor in a blockbuster film would get paid.

Basically, the clear message is that Marvel doesn't value the actors as much as other major studios, and considers them all expendable.

Again, contracts should be binding. If someone signs on for a low amount, then I agree that if it comes down to it they should work for that amount.

However, I don't think any of us here are legal experts, or privy to all of the stipulations.

According to one site, Evans and Hemsworth both signed a six-picture deal. According to the recent article, Evans only recently signed on for Winter Soldier and Avengers 2, while Hemsworth is currently unsigned.

Who's right here, and who's BSing? Both cite unnamed sources, though the recent article attributes many of the quotes to the actors' agents.

Somebody a couple pages back in this thread stated that Hemsworth's contract had a "baseline" for Thor and Avengers, with options for further movies that were set to be renegotiated when the time came.

That to me is a very interesting point which I would like to see confirmed with a source.

It makes sense, doesn't it? Why would someone like Evans or Johansson, who had been working in major Hollywood films for years, sign on for a mere $200,000 with no expectations of renegotiating in the future? I would think that they, or at the very least their agents, would be far smarter and more assertive than that.

If it's true that the contracts (which again, none of us have seen) did leave the door open for renegotiations, then there is nothing wrong with these actors wanting more money.

Again, that's something I'm curious to see confirmed or disproven, if possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"