Age of Ultron The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - - - - - Part 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
2) Turning the hammer into a game is exactly what would make someone unworthy of wielding it. It's not enough to be worthy once or just for a bit of time, the user has to consistently be worthy or they lose it. There's a scene in A1 after Thor's fight with Hulk/the Avengers where he hesitates to pick it up. As if he reflected on his previous actions and was afraid he wouldn't be able to pick up Mjolnir again.
I think that A1 scene is open to interpretation, personally - I never took it as him being worried or afraid he couldn't pick up Mjolnir. I took it as him taking a moment and realizing that his brother - who he has just witnessed brutally killing someone he considered an ally (if not a friend) - may be beyond any help and him realizing just what he might have to end up doing to stop Loki's madness. I took it as him steeling himself for what lies ahead. I didn't really take it as a 'worthiness' moment.

Just my opinion though

Yeah my kids tried faking me out with that video lol

There IS the VERY beginning of the footage on you tube but it IS just Scarjo introducing the footage for those who thought there wasn't bootleg.
But like I said DO NOT post even THAT in here, just in case. Okay?

I think that A1 scene is open to interpretation, personally - I never took it as him being worried or afraid he couldn't pick up Mjolnir. I took it as him taking a moment and realizing that his brother - who he has just witnessed brutally killing someone he considered an ally (if not a friend) - may be beyond any help and him realizing just what he might have to end up doing to stop Loki's madness. I took it as him steeling himself for what lies ahead. I didn't really take it as a 'worthiness' moment.

Just my opinion though

That scene was about Thor giving second thought to jumping back into the battle. Joss was trying to show that the Avengers were mentally defeated at that point.

Just my opinion though
I think that because Thor is Conscience, Mjolnir wouldn't relinquish it's self to Steve.
it falls under the only one can use Mjolnir at a time rule. Beta Ray Bill got Mjolnir because Thor changed into Blake, so technically Thor wasn't there.

Generally I'd agree with you in most cases, but you're assuming everyone would just buy Ultron being a sentient being. One could easily argue the fault falls on the engineer for not programming the properly and/or taking all factors into account thus carelessly creating a loophole.

If there's a loophole involved. It's hard for me to imagine a loophole cutting strings. Plus, we've got staves and witches out here that can't be programmed for.

What MCU Ultron is is emotional. Once the audience sees that Ultron is driven entirely by anger, and not at all by programming, they'll buy him as a sentient being. They won't stubbornly insist his programming is involved when the film clearly and often communicates that he can do all this only because strings have been cut as opposed to just tangled up.

I don't know why people think Claudia Kim is playing someone significant. Her name has come up as soon as Joss said four female characters will have major roles, forgetting that Hayley Atwell is in the movie.

If it's revealed that she's anything but a minor irrelevant character, it would be cool to see.

Peggy is playing an undescribed role that takes place entirely in the past and was shot in a matter of days.

Claudia Kim is Tony's buddy and officially announced. So it's likely that she's much more prominent.

I completely agree that Cap lifting Mjolnir should be saved for the right time, however in that case I don't think he should have even tried during the party scene since there is no logical reason why he wouldn't be worthy.

I think this scene also addresses the question about why only Thor can lift Mjolnir - it must be something more than just worthiness because, on occasion, Thor can be a bit of an idiot at times.

At the very least, Steve seems to tick the 'worthiness box' more than Thor does.

There's no debate. Thor had to sacrifice his life to be worthy. Steve was willing to, but he didn't, so he's not quite worthy... but he's real close, cuz he's a really really really good dude. Tony was also willing to sacrifice his life, even had his heart stop, but he's not a really really good dude, so he's not even close.

2) Turning the hammer into a game is exactly what would make someone unworthy of wielding it. It's not enough to be worthy once or just for a bit of time, the user has to consistently be worthy or they lose it.

That's not what Odin said. All we know about Odin's definition of worthiness is that you have to sacrifice your life. That was the only thing that made Thor worthy. Any other brand or kind of selflessness, character, willingness to die, etc is all our own definitions of worthiness, that may or may not have anything to do with Mjolnir.

Youll note that Joss didnt work on this project for 8 years then bail. He worked on the script for like 2 years, FINISHED IT, ACTUALLY MADE THE MOVIE AND DELIVERED. Hes the MAN. Mother****in *MIC DROP*

No one bailed. No one's the bad guy. Let it go dude.

Last edited:
Noone bailed? LOL. OK. Denial isnt just a river in Egypt.

MARVELs in charge. Not Wright. He never was, he thought he was, but sadly for him he wasnt. Awwwwwww.

Marvel said he didn't bail. So if you think they're in charge, you'll drop your narrative. Show me you believe what you say you do. Or not.

lol I watched the Agents of SHIELD blooper reel and every time I think about this bootleg I think of a Line Clark Flubbed, "if the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized" lol

They said he didnt bail? So hes still directing the movie? OK didnt know this. I apologize

That blooper reel made me actually like the show more. I like the actors better than the characters, lol.

I still need to watch that AOS blooper reel, Ive been watching so much other stuff and keep forgetting.

There's no debate. Thor had to sacrifice his life to be worthy. Steve was willing to, but he didn't, so he's not quite worthy... but he's real close, cuz he's a really really really good dude. Tony was also willing to sacrifice his life, even had his heart stop, but he's not a really really good dude, so he's not even close.

That's not what Odin said. All we know about Odin's definition of worthiness is that you have to sacrifice your life. That was the only thing that made Thor worthy. Any other brand or kind of selflessness, character, willingness to die, etc is all our own definitions of worthiness, that may or may not have anything to do with Mjolnir.

Yes, there is debate, apparently

I don't get what your hang up is on this dying thing.

IF that is in fact Odin's ONLY ACCEPTIBLE condition for being "Worthy", it still wouldn't change the fact that Steve DID sacrifice himself, meaning there is no discernible difference between what he did and what Thor did, therefore, there is no difference in their level of worthiness. Just because Steve didn't actually die, it doesn't change his level of heroics, selflessness, and self sacrifice. Are you gunna tell me that a soldier (IRL) who jumps on a grenade, but is lucky enough to have it be a dud, that he's not a hero?? That he is not completely self-sacrificing for the good of others??? That he is any less a hero than, say, a General who had killed thousands, but eventually learned humility and died saving his platoon??? Because that's what it boils down to.

In this situation, intention is EVERYTHING.
It has nothing to do with whether the sacrifice led to the person actually dying.

Last edited:
Its obvious THOR still has an ego, while Cap lives alone in a modest little apartment with some books. Hes the most unegotistic character in the MCU. Hes so selfless its almost sickening. Hes more worthy than all The Avengers and GOTG combined

That blooper reel made me actually like the show more. I like the actors better than the characters, lol.

I still need to watch that AOS blooper reel, Ive been watching so much other stuff and keep forgetting.
YEAH I have about 15 SDCC vids I had to watch, then finish watching Season 2 of Arrow, I get ya lol
lol My Daughter says it makes her want to hang out with the cast because they seem so much fun! lol

Yeah peeps, if you HAVEN'T sen the Blooper reel for AoS you need to. lol

[YT]
ihdXwAgZTcw
[/YT]

It's amazing man ..... that anyone actually wants to see one character infringe on another characters unique qualities. It's not enough that they have their own shtick, they gotta have someone else's too.

They said he didnt bail? So hes still directing the movie? OK didnt know this. I apologize

Marvel said he neither bailed nor is directing the movie. So... it sounds like you don't go by what Marvel says.

Yes, there is debate, apparently

I don't get what your hang up is on this dying thing.

IF that is in fact Odin's ONLY ACCEPTIBLE condition for being "Worthy", it still wouldn't change the fact that Steve DID sacrifice himself, meaning there is no discernible difference between what he did and what Thor did, therefore, there is no difference in their level of worthiness. Just because steve didn't actually die, it doesn't change his level of heroics, selflessness, and self sacrifice. Are you gunna tell me that a soldier (IRL) who jumps on a grenade, but is lucky enough to have it be a dud, that he's not a hero?? That he is not completely self-sacrificing for the good of others??? That he is any less a hero than, say, a general who had killed thousands, but learned humility and died saving his platoon??? Because that's what it boils down to.

In this situation, intention is EVERYTHING.
It has nothing to do with whether the sacrifice led to the person actually dying.

I'm hung up on the dying thing because that's what Thor did to become worthy. If Thor had done something *else* like been willing to die or intended to sacrifice himself or nearly died, and the hammer had then reacted as though he was worthy, I would be hung up on that. But he did all those things and was still not worthy. I'm also hung upon the fact that Mjolnir is a hammer, because that's what the movie showed it was.

There is a discernible difference between what Thor did in Thor and what Steve did in CATFA or Tony in Avengers because Thor actually died. He could not have been yelled at or unfrozen to get his heart going again. He was dead. I get how it seems less significant because the hammer brought him back to life and mentally he was in the same place Steve was crashing the plane, but the end result of their sacrifices was different, one of them made an additional action: dying. That is discernible difference. Even you and I would not give the same honors to the soldier who fell on a dud and the soldier who actually died throwing himself on a grenade.

Intention is something you or I care about. I'm not arguing morality, or my opinion of worth or heroism, just pointing out that Odin's is consistent, even if we disagree with it. The hammer showed that it doesn't care about that stuff only the actual action, the actual result, the actual sacrifice. Steve budging the hammer, and Tony who almost died not budging it, is the first indication in film that the hammer cares even a little a bit about intention and willingness and character. A fact that Thor, intensely familiar with both Odin and the Hammer, is surprised by.

Last edited:
Not the trailer, but a new pic (Ultron and Thor) from the Avengers party :wow::wow::wow: :

Techno-Viking-Robot-Go-Into-Funk-Overload-In-Napoleon-Dynamite-Dance-Gif.gif

DrCosmic: Wright didnt bail and hes not directing the movie. So hes still at MARVEL waiting for a new project? Hmmm. I think Wright didnt want to do a film with MARVEL without complete control over what he was doing. When they didnt let him, he decided to "part ways amicablly" with them. *coughBAILEDcough* If you just admit thats the truth, Ill never talk about it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"