Infinity War The Avengers: Infinity War The Official News and Speculation - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or blowing up an entire star system.:o

Didn't count. Those people might have survived. They might still be floating around in that asteroid field.:o

In a movie like this that is billing itself as the end of everything they've been building for ten years? Nope. That'd be lame af. Someone's gotta bite it. You can't bill Thanos as the ultimate evil this universe has faced and then give him no notable body count (and no, friends and love interests don't count). Thankfully it sounds like they aren't copping out on that front.

Um, there have been several apocalyptic, end of everything movies that haven’t killed any of the leads. Tom Cruise alone stars in roughly about a third of them. It’s getting to the point where we can’t go a summer without at least three ‘End of Times’ films. I’m fine with some death (as long as I feel the characters’ arc is over and their death meaningful). I’m fine without it. But whether it happens or not is not contingent on my enjoyment of the film. Ultimately we watch these films for the characters.

Larry King once asked Stan Lee what was the single most important aspect of storytelling and Stan answered, rightfully, the characters. They have to be relatable. The audience has to empathize with them. You don’t break that tie, the relationship between audience and character, because you have to fill some sort of quota for dramatic exits.

Last edited:
Or blowing up an entire star system.:o

Nameless faceless characters the audience wasn’t invested in were in that star system. When I say ‘death’, I mean of characters for which the audience has an established parasocial relationship.

Just got my confirmation for Tuesday.

Sorry if this was shared already, but in case anyone was wondering:

World Premiere - April 23
Press Screenings - April 24
Review embargo lift - April 24 @ 6PM EST

Last edited:
Nameless faceless characters the audience wasn’t invested in were in that star system. When I say ‘death’, I mean of characters for which the audience has an established parasocial relationship.

Stakes are stakes. I'm not invested in the faceless beings that live in the half of the universe that Thanos wants to destroy, but the main characters care about those stakes and therefore I care about those stakes. And I can use my imagination and understand how awful that would be so I can feel how high those stakes are. The death of a main character isnt the only meaningful stakes in a film. And at this point, it's become the lazy way of upping the stakes.

Last edited:
Starting my MCU rewatch tonight

Iron Man and Incredible Hulk, happy viewings everyone!

Starting my MCU rewatch tonight

Iron Man and Incredible Hulk, happy viewings everyone!
Ha, I'm starting mine tonight too. But I'm skipping TIH completely (I've seen it enough on TV and it just doesn't fit in well with the others, imo), so it's an Iron Man double feature for me tonight.

So Mackie is on some talk shows next week? This dude is so entertaining when he's talking about Marvel.

any sightings of Cheadle? He's not filming anything nor is he doing any announced promotion as of yet. Where WM at?

Um, there have been several apocalyptic, end of everything movies that haven’t killed any of the leads.

And how many of those were running storylines building for ten years?

When even Ultron and Hela got to kill someone, Thanos definitely needs to off someone important.

giphy.gif

tumblr_p3f5mfkGx71vnfitzo3_400.gif

And at this point, it's become the lazy way of upping the stakes.

Agreed. Markus and McFeely themselves stated that death was a lazy way of creating a stake at SDCC after Civil War. For me the most effective stakes are the psychological, not the physical. Like Civil War.

There are things worse than death. And those stones can make the characters wish they were dead. If you asked Adam Warlock if he’d rather die than become Magus, I’d like to think he’d choose the latter.

And how many of those were running storylines building for ten years?

When even Ultron and Hela got to kill someone, Thanos definitely needs to off someone important.

giphy.gif

tumblr_p3f5mfkGx71vnfitzo3_400.gif

I’m sorry but I just don’t see death as a requirement for good storytelling. I’m not opposed to it as long as a) it’s meaningful b) it is important to the story, and c) all of the character’s loose ends are tied up, but I don’t need it nor do I have expectations of it.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree. I come from the era of fandom pissed off that the they killed Kirk in Generations (still bitter about it, too).

Excellent point! You can have stakes without death. In Star Wars the stake is turning to dark side and/or losing limbs.

Sure, but even Darth Vader killed Obi-Wan. You can have stakes without death, but death makes the threat more real.

Some of the best villains in the MCU are also the ones who have killed prominent supporting characters, like Loki and Killmonger. Hell, even Ultron killed Quicksilver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"