The Avengers The Avengers Critics Reviews Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
You meant the Matrix right? Because the Trilogy was....meh.

And I think The Matrix was a classic. A very good film, the only thing I could compare it to is that it poses a lot of interesting theological ideas only to have the last act of the film basically be all action. But I'm not complaining. It had some of the best movie fights I've seen in a movie in years.

However, the next two were just...yeah. They just didn't have it.

Didn't have it is an understatement. The sequels are flat out AWFUL. Highlander 2 and Caddyshack 2 type awful.

Didn't have it is an understatement. The sequels are flat out AWFUL. Highlander 2 and Caddyshack 2 type awful.

If I was forced to pick a favourite of the 3 it would be Matrix Reloaded, because it expanded on the whole concept and turned into a complete mindf***, which i LOVE :woot:

Plus it had truly awesome action sequences and great dialogue set pieces

I consider them all one film though, one 6 hour plus extravaganza :word:

If I was forced to pick a favourite of the 3 it would be Matrix Reloaded, because it expanded on the whole concept and turned into a complete mindf***, which i LOVE :woot:

Plus it had truly awesome action sequences and great dialogue set pieces

I consider them all one film though, one 6 hour plus extravaganza :word:

matrix Reloaded was the worst of the 3. It had more action but the action got stale. The action wasn't really even apart of the story. In the Matrix the out come of each battle effect the narrative. In Reloaded the story would stop then Neo would be a bunch of enemies and then the story would pick back up. There was no emotional investment in the out come of most of those action sequences only a few.

Last edited:
Yeah agreed on the fights in reloaded. Opening fight -- a contextless flash forward presented in a dream. Zero weight or drama to that. Then Neo must fight some guy as a "test." Then he has to fight 100 agent smiths because they show up and it would look cool to fight 100 Agent Smiths. The only action scene in the whole movie with stakes is the freeway chase, but even that one the stakes are never that great -- we've got to get this key guy who you just met and don't really care about somewhere so that he can let us do something that isn't particularly clear... and even then, the freeway chase, while bigger in size, is nowhere near as well put together and exciting as the two or three best sequences in the original.

Anyway, to stay on topic, once those EW and Rolling Stone reviews hit RT, Avengers will be at 100 percent amongst top critics with seven reviews in... not too bad at all, considering there are only something like 30 to 35 top critics in total, I believe.

matrix Reloaded was the worst of the 3. It had more action but the action got stale. The action wasn't really even apart of the story. In the Matrix the out come of each battle effect the narrative. In Reloaded the story would stop then Neo would be a bunch of enemies and then the story would pick back up. There was no emotional investment in the out come of most of those action sequences only a few.

Most of the action in all 3 films is purely for stylistic purposes. The style is part of the story.

Anyway, to stay on topic, once those EW and Rolling Stone reviews hit RT, Avengers will be at 100 percent amongst top critics with seven reviews in... not too bad at all, considering there are only something like 30 to 35 top critics in total, I believe.
At Metacritic, the Rolling Stone review should be an 88, while I think the EW one would be an 80, so they should both help to bring up the score there, too.

Most of the action in all 3 films is purely for stylistic purposes. The style is part of the story.

That's true of the sequels. The first has stylish action that also raises the stakes and advances the plot.

That's true of the sequels. The first movie has stylish action that also advances the plot and has real stakes, something the sequels lacked.

every fight has a purpose otherwise they would not be fighting

also think about a film like inception

what is the point to half the stuff that happens in that movie?

it is art

sometimes there does not need to be such rigid structure and meaning to everything, especially in a film like matrix

The Matrix had style and substance. Reloaded was mostly style. All of the action in the first matrix had a purpose within the story and the out come of the battles effected something with in the story. In Reloaded most of the action sequences where fluff. You could remove them from the movie and it wouldn't effect the story one bit.

I'm not saying i hate it or that its horrible i'm just saying that it wasn't as good as the first or third one. It's only accels purely from an action stand point.

Reloaded was not only a great film, but it made the first one even better

Later on I might watch the whole trilogy again back to back :woot:

Sorry to go off-topic, but another review of The Avengers has been added to RT, bringing the tally to 53 Fresh/2 Rotten.

The Mercury (AU): 4.5/5

Overall, though, The Avengers is a superhero masterpiece.

Whedon derserves the highest accolades just for not making it suck, let alone for turning this ambitious project into something that is destined to become the new benchmark for how these films should be made.

It's one hell of a pay-off for all that build-up, and judging by the fans' reactions, it's given them exactly what they wanted.

So is the shot of Thor landing next to that car in my avy actually in the film, because someone said it's not. :csad:

Sorry to go off-topic, but another review of The Avengers has been added to RT, bringing the tally to 53 Fresh/2 Rotten.

The Mercury (AU): 4.5/5

It's a good thing you shown up as you did, because this thread was in danger of being renamed the Matrix Trilogy thread. :o

I wonder when Traves' review will show up on RT.

Just to chime in on the Matrix discussion:

The Matrix is a truly BRILLIANT movie that in IMO stands the test of time. The story is excellent. The characters are interesting and invest you in the movie. The action sequences are awesome; they are of just the right length and flow with the story. I recently purchased the 10th anniversary edition dvd and watched it twice in one week. The philosophy in the movie is not obstrusive.

In contrast the sequels are crap. I recently watched Reloaded on cable; bleh. The acting and dialogue are sub-par. The story is uninteresting. Most action sequences are forced and go on for waaaayyy too long. The only redeeming feature for me was the car chase which was BRILLIANT! I was able to watch most of the movie.

This was followed by Revolutions. Five minutes into that conversion with the Indian family and that was it. Next channel.

A 54th Fresh review has been added, from Real.com.

Avengers Assemble (3D): 4/5

The wait is over, and it’s been well worth it to see the likes of Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth) and The Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) join forces with Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) in a superb superhero finale to save the planet. And opposite every hero should be a worthy component to do battle with – in this case, Thor’s ego-bruised stepbrother, Loki (Tom Hiddleston). Director Joss Whedon’s offering allows each Marvel member a chance to shine and retain their mighty personality, hence, going to satisfy fans of each character in the first of the big three comic-book films of this year.

As Whedon shows due care and attention to all his players in this, there is another additional treat in the end credits that points to darker things to come and sparks whoops of joy from those in the know. Still, this film is more than enough and gives us a damn good comic-book fight as its superheroes battle their inner demons, making them as accessible and real as ever.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled thread derailment. :yay:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"