The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord

All Mighty
Reaction score
This discussion has been on the boards for a while.
Which of these 2 movies do you think that is going to make more money?
Which will be the king movie of he year? (Hobbit doesn't count)
Let's begin our discussion

This thread will probably get nasty.

I think they will both make at least 800 million.

I bet The Avengers. As much as I loved The Dark Knight, Rise I feel quality wise will be closer to Begins not TDK. I can't shake the feeling that without Eckhart and Ledger the film will lose a lot of what made it stand out. They were something like lightning in a bottle, no one will do quite what they did.

The Avengers seems like it'll be the more unique of the two, and also it's something new insofar as it's a new kind of superhero movie, which is exactly what TDK was.

Ehhh Tom Hardy is a better actor than Eckhart. And he is a bigger star now than what Eckhart was when TDK came out.

I think Hardy is gonna be amazing as Bane.

I think Hardy is gonna be amazing as Bane.

I agree, absolutely, but audiences and critics won't be comparing the new Batman villains to Aaron Eckhardt, they'll be comparing them to Heath Ledger.

Much as I want to say The Avengers, I think it's inevitable that The Dark Knight Rises will be the box office victor and the better movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure Batman has always been more popular than Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, etc put together so I'm voting for TDKR.

I'm more excited about Avengers, but I guess Batman is going to make more money. Anything else would be a (fine) surprise.

This is a toughy. You've got two films people have been waiting for. You've got the epic conclusion to a brilliant trilogy, and you've got the beginning of something fanboys have been wanting to see for years. They've been building up to "The Avengers" for some years now, ever since the ending of "Iron Man". Man, I don't know. I'm gonna go and say "The Avengers". ****, wasn't the trailer the most downloaded on iTunes of all time?

After THAT less than underwhelming trailer for TDKR? The answer is obvious: The Avengers will rule next summer.
If the trailer were better TDKRs chances would've been great, but a bad trailer can ruin the box office, just ask Green Lantern.

Last edited:
I'd say TDKR simply because I think it may just reach those few extra types of people.

After THAT less than underwhelming trailer for TDKR? The answer is obvious: The Avengers will rule next summer.
If the trailer were better TDKRs chances would've been great, but a bad trailer can ruin the box office, just ask Green Lantern.

Green Lantern failed because it was a bad movie in general. It didn't have decent predecessors like Transformers or POTC to make good money. (I'm referring to the first TF & the first POTC BTW)

As for which movie will make more money, I really can't tell right now. Avengers is going to be a huge event with alot of well-known characters in it. While, TDKR is the sequel to the biggest superhero movie ever.

Hard to tell. The reason i saw tdk more than once was ledger. without him my hype for this sequel is diminished . Avengers, i am more amped for and could potentially see it multiple times.

Unlike most i prefered the dark knight rises trailer than the Avengers one, however i'm really sure that The Avengers will make more money.

As for which movie will make more money, I really can't tell right now. Avengers is going to be a huge event with alot of well-known characters in it. While, TDKR is the sequel to the biggest superhero movie ever.

Same here.

Haha, the ultimate Marvel vs. Nolan fanboy thread :D Let the ***** fight begin.

As for this thread I can only quote myself from THE AVENGERS forums.:o I really wrote my most honest feeling abput this topic down in this post. Here you go:

The Avengers won t be the biggest superhero film ever. Not in terms of storytelling and neither will it be box office wise.

Today in one year, after the BIG 2012 summer is done, we all will see how merciless TDKR will have defeated The Avengers.

Nolans groundbreaking Batman myth finale is going to be something really special. Something of quality. The Avengers is going to be another bland action movie, too generic to be memorable or special.

The Avengers will be of the same quality as all the lead ups. Fun Popcorn Action, but really nothing special, pure summer entertainment. I for one rated all pre-AVENGERS films as nothing special. TDKR will be epic. It will be flabbergasting. It will be something people will talk about.

Hell, even today, 3 and a half years after TDK many people I know still talk about it. Same will go for TDKR. It ll be a worthy finale to one of the best trilogies in film history.

No one will talk about The Avengers in 4 years.

Okay then consider BB and TDK as a trailer because the general audience will. They won't remember the trailer just those two movies. The TDKR will because it's the end of a sucessful franchise to a sucessful superhero.

Lets see, the Dark Knight's big success was mostly because of of Heath Ledger's death, it would still be one of the 10 most successful movies at the box office that year, maybe even top 1 like it ended being, but Heath Ledger's death atracted a lot more of interest.

With The Dark Knight Rises you don't have the Joker, Batman's name will obviously bring tons of money but not as much as Heath Ledger, however, with the help of TDK and Inception Nolan's name has groun in the public's mind, the movie will surelly make much money but not as much as The Avengers, and i'll tell you why.

First, Joss Whedon is going to direct this so the movie won't lack character development and good dialogue, the story also seems to be focused, Joss Whedon has proven that he can appeal to both, the masculine and the feminine public.

Then you also have to consider that Whedon has a strong fan base, i noticed that a lot of Buffy fans for example began to watch his other shows just because they had his name, many that aren't really into the Marvel Cinematic Universe thing got interested too.

Well, the director alone will bring some good public, of course it won't bring as much as Nolan's name does, and Serenity proved that, yet both movies have pedigree and an extablished fan base, that has to count for something right?

Then what will trully make Avengers a smach hit, it's a crossover of 4 extablished franchises, Captain america and Thor didn't have sequels yet but they're pratically franchises by their oun as there are in least 2 sequels prepared for each one, both have video game adaptations and both are enjoying a run in comic books for some years already. I heard many saying that all these films, Iron Man, Thor, etc have the same audience, not exactly, sure, many that saw the other movies return because they're all superhero film and some members of the audience know the movies are conected.

I don't know if anybody noticed but Thor got the attention of a lot of women, even more than Iron Man, maybe it was the romance, some like Loki, but what matters is that same public came back for Captain America, and liked it too, for the exact same reasons, well, this time there was not Loki, but there was still romance.

And as a matter of fact not everybody knows these movies were connected, not every body knew there were post-credits scenes, that's why some didn't return for for the other movies, because they tought that was just another superhero movie, now they see the Avengers trailer and see their characters there, and so they will want to see it.

Fan girls of Twilight also seem to like this, with their favourite romance movies gone they will simply switch to superhero movies that have those bits of romance like Thor and Cap, how do i know this? Because i've seen this happen, Twilight saga may be terrible movies but they are still mammoths at the box office, imagine that together with all the comic book fans that are going to want to watch this event.

Not to mention that The Avengers trailer was the most downloaded from iTunes of all time, and the trailer wasn't even that special, i think TDKR trailer was more emotional, yet this only proves the level of Hype there is for The Avengers.

The Avengers may be even bigger than Titanic, and if really, really lucky, it may even surpass Avatar, i only see The Dark knight surpassing Transformers 3 at most, i don't think it can even reach Harry Potter and the Deadly Hallows Part II, a movie whose level of hype was much bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"