I'm Reading Your Stuff: General News and Discussion Thread

There was one poster on here back in the TDKR days that was a HUGE advocate for Blackfire. We kinda picked on him at the time, but now I'm really keen on the idea. Could be a really interesting villain.

I just wonder if he's too obscure.
Oh my god, I remember that. What made it extra funny is that TDKR actually was heavily influenced by The Cult in the end.

I'm curious where you go with Real. How much of a role does she play. Thorne would be a good antagonist for her at least. Just because Falcone is gone and Real is mayor doesn't mean it's going to be easy. There's still unsavory characters in Gotham who want to make sure it doesn't change.

As for Dent's becoming Two-Face, I know now you have room to bring in Dent after Colson's death, but I wouldn't mind if he sat this series out. The arc of Dent in TDK is so iconic at this point, doing the rise and fall would just be repetitive. But if you're going to go with Two-Face again, just dive head in with him being Two-Face akin to Joker. Or you could do a story where he tries to rehabilitate to be Dent again if you want to bring in the struggle with the personality. I've always wanted to see a Two-Face scene play out like that Gollum scene in The Two Towers.

Jett scooped like 3-4 different pieces from this latest film. I'm confused as to how you figure he isn't reliable anymore?

No, he just echoed scoops from other people actually in the know.

Or maybe he's already Two-Face, already incarcerated in Arkham. He's just one of Gotham's many "sad stories" before Batman came into the picture.

I'm curious where you go with Real. How much of a role does she play. Thorne would be a good antagonist for her at least. Just because Falcone is gone and Real is mayor doesn't mean it's going to be easy. There's still unsavory characters in Gotham who want to make sure it doesn't change.

As for Dent's becoming Two-Face, I know now you have room to bring in Dent after Colson's death, but I wouldn't mind if he sat this series out. The arc of Dent in TDK is so iconic at this point, doing the rise and fall would just be repetitive. If you're going to go with Two-Face again, just dive head in with him being Two-Face akin to Joker. Or you could do a story where he tries to rehabilitate being Dent again if you want to bring in the struggle with the personality. I've always wanted to see a Two-Face scene play out like that Gollum scene in The Two Towers.

I get the feeling they’re going to try to work in Maroni in the next one who I could see being the traditional crime foil. I’d also be happy if they skip Two-Face this go-round unless they skip his origin.

Maroni could work in a Sopranos season 5 sort of thing where he's an aged criminal out of prison and is trying to take back what's his and clashes with Penguin starting some gang war.

Maroni could work in a Sopranos season 5 sort of thing where he's an aged criminal out of prison and is trying to take back what's his and clashes with Penguin starting some gang war.
That or he's like Junior in the early seasons trying to overturn things from inside prison.

I would prefer if Maroni was not the main mobster after Falcone's downfall. That is exactly what happened in TDK. I think they should draw inspiration from Dark Victory and introduce Tony Zucco. Tony Zucco could be running things for Maroni on the outside while Maroni is trying to appeal his conviction on the basis of poisoned fruit evidence. When the appeal looks like it is failing due to the good work of the new DA, maybe Maroni lashes out at him?

I find it incredibly interesting that Maroni and Zucco were big in the drug trade just as The Batman suggests Maroni was here. Great opportunity here to step Zucco as trying to intimidate Haley's flying Circus into being a cover for distributing drops.

Or maybe he's already Two-Face, already incarcerated in Arkham. He's just one of Gotham's many "sad stories" before Batman came into the picture.

I really like the concept of Two Face already exiting before Batman who's just another example of what Gotham turns people into.

Honestly I'd rather we flat out moved on from the Gotham mob sideplot.

The point of Falcone's death, in the comics and arguably in the movie, is it spells the end for the Gotham mobster and the birth of the Gotham supervillain. While sure, you could still tell that story I feel it'd be a little too close to TDK for my comfort. I'd rather we went all in on the supervillains with little to no attention on the mob. It'd be a great way to cement Falcone's death as the changing of the guard.

The point of Falcone's death, in the comics and arguably in the movie, is it spells the end for the Gotham mobster and the birth of the Gotham supervillain. While sure, you could still tell that story I feel it'd be a little too close to TDK for my comfort. I'd rather we went all in on the supervillains with little to no attention on the mob. It'd be a great way to cement Falcone's death as the changing of the guard.

I'm kinda tried of the mob in genera to be honest.

Falcone as great as he was kinda took away from Riddlers screen time for me.

I wanna see the freaks unleashed without having take down or take control of the mob first in the seques.

You can still approach that transition in a very different way from Nolan. He had the mob unleash the Joker in its fight with Batman and his allies. You can still have the Mob around while portraying Falcone's death as the changing of the guard. Like I said if you have Maroni trying to claw things back from inside prison and failing, due to Dent defeating his appeal, and Penguin having taken over things on the outside, you would be jumping to Dark Victory Gotham rather than Nolan's Long Halloween Gotham.

Even in BTAS' supercriminal ridden Gotham, the Mob was still a force in the guise of Thorne and Daggett. It gives the City a certain insidiousness and more tangible corruption than just having supercriminals.

You can still approach that transition in a very different way from Nolan. He had the mob unleash the Joker in its fight with Batman and his allies. You can still have the Mob around while portraying Falcone's death as the changing of the guard. Like I said if you have Maroni trying to claw things back from inside prison and failing, due to Dent defeating his appeal, and Penguin having taken over things on the outside, you would be jumping to Dark Victory Gotham rather than Nolan's Long Halloween Gotham.

Even in BTAS' supercriminal ridden Gotham, the Mob was still a force in the guise of Thorne and Daggett. It gives the City a certain insidiousness and more tangible corruption than just having supercriminals.

I think we should have "white collar" corruption to replace the mob in that case.

Well, that is where Rupert Thorne comes in, but Gotham is always at its best when there is a strong organized crime component to the world.

I definitely still want organized crime I just rather the crime be more theatrical if that makes sense.

I think Oswald will be replacing Falcone and and mark the beginning of a new type of "mob".

I remember hating the Deacon Blackfire idea when Rises was in pre production. To be fair though, The Cult is probably a top 10 Batman comic, such a fantastic story and villain. I’d absolutely love to see him in Reeves’ universe. I really enjoyed him in Arkham Knight, and think it could provide a blueprint for a live action version.

Blackfire isn't a popular guy but the idea of a Cult Leader guy leading a group of the downtrodden is a popular IDEA.

After Rises its not an entirely unique idea for a Batman Film but if you add in some splashes of religious fanaticism (respectfully) then it could be a nice change of pace.

After typing that out though I realize that's kinda like Riddler in this film.

I think the flood kind of served as a metaphor to that. The mob was swept away and Gotham has to rebuild. And by that, the new kids in town known as the "Freaks" rise to take everything.

Guys.

We'll quite literally have a Penguin spin-off show that'll directly deal with all the mob stuff being directly inspired by Scarface. And we'll have another Arkham show that shows more of the rogues gallery.

Don't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

Clayface would be amazing. I think it would be an inspired choice that takes people by surprise. I feel like people still don't realize that no villains are really off the table.

I have no idea where the story will go, but Mr. Freeze is easily my #1 villain for the sequel. There's so much potential, and I'm dying to see how Reeves would adapt him into his world.
I remember you touching on Mr Freeze a couple of months back and you had a outlook on how it would work. Didn't you mention you could see a type of Terminator 1984 vibe with him ?, Mechanical voice, Red eyes etc but deeply compassionate and mournful. Ive wanted to invest in the Mr Freeze but honestly im not sure what the best source material is for his character. I just remember being overwhelmed facing him off in Arkham City lool

IMHO scoops in general aren't reliable for these films. More than half the spoilers I saw posted here either weren't accurate or didn't pan out.

I think it would be kind of neat to see a grounded in reality Clayface. Obviously, he wouldn't be transforming literally, but he could be a modern day Lon Chaney (albeit, a murderous one)

3d8da3862cd02e4fb7e2e9f5f0e5c0ca.jpg

Given what Mike Marino was able to achieve with Penguin, you could have a Clayface who appears at various points on screen without the viewer (and Batman) knowing it. It would be unnerving to never be sure when he was going to pop up, or if he had without the audience knowing it. Like when John Doe pops up as the photographer in Se7en.

Imagine a scene where Bruce suspects Clayface is at some benefit, and he has to walk around the room trying to figure out which person Clayface is? Or the growing paranoia of wondering if the guy at the newstand is Clayface, only for it to really only be some random guy? It's a horror element without having to deal with a literal monster.

Clayface wouldn't have to be a huge dripping monster ala BTAS.
4ed158ab43f411085dc57b050202533e.jpg

y0cn87mxdx551.png
512271073.jpg

D6yocnsXsAAET1s.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija