The Amazing Spider-Man The Box Office Thread

That figure... nearly a Billion Dollars WW reads to me.. the GA are fans of Spider-Man, not Tobey, not Kirsten, not Raimi. Spider-Man fans, fans of advernture, characters they can care about, root for... Spider-Man in general.. fans of.

Yeah, I am sure there were some who were "specific" fans of Tobey and Co, and some who had grown into that category of being comfortable with Tobey and Co in those roles. But those, to me, will quickly grow to love the new cast, and probably MORE so IMO.

As far as attacting the teen audience, the reboot is probably good too. Younger cast, more visible/high profile cast with the leads too.

But the main point is.. that figures shows the drawing power that is Spider-Man. Give us a good story, with real drama, with realism, and adult storylines.... and I think we all could be in for a pleasant (assuming we are ALL really Spider-Man fans here, and not Raimi, or Tobey, or Kirsten)... "surprise".

Well said!

I'm willing to bet had Jake Gylenface stepped in for Maguire for sm2, with the numbers spidey 2 ended up making, people here would have put it on the fact that they recast the lead actor.

Why does everyone think something has to be deep? Why can't I just go to the goddamn movies and have a fun time away from reality?
Agreed! A combination of action and a great story is what we need, like with S-M2. That's the type of film I want. It balanced everything out perfectly, and there are stories out there that could be influence for stories in the next films. The Night Gwen Stacey Died, the Death of Captain Stacy, etc. Obviously, I
see the death of Captain Stacy being somewhat adapted into this film. He'll probably die accidentally by the hands of the Lizard.

Last edited:
There were many people who didn't even know BB existed until just before, during and even after TDK came out.

Batman Begins made $75 million in its 5-day opening and WB spent a lot of time and money marketing it. The general public knew about it.

Batman Begins made $75 million in its 5-day opening and WB spent a lot of time and money marketing it. The general public knew about it.

Yeah, Batman Begins was most definitely a huge hit. It was a slow burner with the public, but that was to be expected.

Batman Begins made an impact in more ways than one.

I expect the same from The Amazing Spider-man... though it will make more money no doubt.

Agreed! A combination of action and a great story is what we need, like with S-M2. That's the type of film I want. It balanced everything out perfectly, and there are stories out there that could be influence for stories in the next films. The Night Gwen Stacey Died, the Death of Captain Stacy, etc. Obviously, I
see the death of Captain Stacy being somewhat adapted into this film. He'll probably die accidentally by the hands of the Lizard.

LOL, you agree with Not wanting something "deep" from the last poster, but THEN you say there are stories like the death of Capt Stacy, or the night Gwen Stacy died that could be adapted?!?!?!?!

So let's see, the death of the father of the girl you love, the death of the only girl you ever loved, at the hands of your enemy or at your hands trying to save her (depending on your view of that climatic story)... is NOT... "Deep"?!?!?!?

Sheeesh.. just WHAT the HELL is "Deep" to you then???? :woot:

Perhaps the lines about poetry reading from Octavius to Peter in SM2 perhaps???

Yeah, Batman Begins was most definitely a huge hit. It was a slow burner with the public, but that was to be expected.

Batman Begins made an impact in more ways than one.

I expect the same from The Amazing Spider-man... though it will make more money no doubt.

Yes, but BB had B&R do deal with. SM3, while it has its flaws, is NOTHING like B&R.

LOL, you agree with Not wanting something "deep" from the last poster, but THEN you say there are stories like the death of Capt Stacy, or the night Gwen Stacy died that could be adapted?!?!?!?!

So let's see, the death of the father of the girl you love, the death of the only girl you ever loved, at the hands of your enemy or at your hands trying to save her (depending on your view of that climatic story)... is NOT... "Deep"?!?!?!?

Sheeesh.. just WHAT the HELL is "Deep" to you then???? :woot:

Perhaps the lines about poetry reading from Octavius to Peter in SM2 perhaps???
Stop with the this bs attitude you get every time you hear somebody praise Raimi's films. Here's what I meant. I agreed with him because one user (not mentioning any names) said that these films need ot be taken seriously like TDK. Snape said that going to a movie just ot have fun isn't wrong. I agreed with him because this film should NOT be like the TDK (in terms of tone, etc), but more like S-M2 because it has story as well as fun action.

If this becomes an arguement, don't blame someone else this time.

Stop with the this bs attitude you get every time you hear somebody praise Raimi's films. Here's what I meant. I agreed with him because one user (not mentioning any names) said that these films need ot be taken seriously like TDK. Snape said that going to a movie just ot have fun isn't wrong. I agreed with him because this film should NOT be like the TDK (in terms of tone, etc), but more like S-M2 because it has story as well as fun action.

If this becomes an arguement, don't blame someone else this time.

Where exactly Sherlock were you praising Raimi's films? I do not remember the death of Capt Stacy or Gwen in the Raimi World. So WHY are YOU bringing up Raimi again?

Not like TDK in tones, BUT should HAVE storylines like the Death of Capt Stacy or the night Gwen Stacy Died. Yeah, that would "Just" be for the fun of it. :whatever:

LOL

And why would I blame "anyone" else, other than us for our "discussion" (not agrument). :doh:

Where exactly Sherlock were you praising Raimi's films? I do not remember the death of Capt Stacy or Gwen in the Raimi World. So WHY are YOU bringing up Raimi again?
The post that you quoted prior to this.

Not like TDK in tones, BUT should HAVE storylines like the Death of Capt Stacy or the night Gwen Stacy Died. Yeah, that would "Just" be for the fun of it. :whatever:
You clearly have no idea what I mean and what "balance" is. TDK didn't have that balance. It was serious from start to finish. No lighthearted moments.

And why would I blame "anyone" else, other than us for our "discussion" (not agrument). :doh:
Well, you want to come in here and call me out. You questioned me like you were annoyed or something. Though, that's common around here with alot of people, so you're not the first. Let's not let this turn into an arguement is all I want, okay?

You're right again chaseter, how could I forget that Spider-Man has as many previous crummy movies as Batman. Must've slipped my mind.:huh:

I know, 2 is so much different than 1! I like SM1 and love SM2 so you are barking up the wrong tree there.

Begins came off of a bad movie. This movie is coming off of a bad movie. Both are reboots. Audiences remember the last movie and they don't welcome reboots with open arms. I guarantee you that had SM4 been made it would not have had as big of an opening as SM3.

This movie is not going to make mountains of cash. Begins barely made a profit worldwide. It's budget was 150 million and it made 205 domestic and 167 foreign. That is not great at all. It barely made a profit. The movie was good so what was the issue? They advertise the crap out of that movie.

This movie is not going to make mountains of cash. Begins barely made a profit worldwide. It's budget was 150 million and it made 205 domestic and 167 foreign. That is not great at all. It barely made a profit. The movie was good so what was the issue? They advertise the crap out of that movie.

Compared to the Spider-man franchise though, Batman Begins was never that heavily marketed. Plus, Spider-man definitely seems to be more popular internationally than Batman (though for the life of me, I don't know why).

In fact in the UK... It semed like Fantastic Four was ganering all the attention that summer. Even Mamma Mia was putting a good fight up against The Dark Knight in 2008, regardless of the hype.

Batman Begins is a decent comparison for this movie... but it's certainly not one we should focus on too hevily.

The post that you quoted prior to this.

Yes, but the basis of my quote was to understand your not wanting something deep, but wanting stories like the Night Gwen Stacy Died. YOU jumped to the assumption that if I dare question anything, I MUST be ragging on Raimi.

You clearly have no idea what I mean and what "balance" is. TDK didn't have that balance. It was serious from start to finish. No lighthearted moments.

I think it comes down to you not knowing what "deep" is. Storylines like Capt Stacy's death, the night Gwen Stacy Died.... say it with me... ARE DEEP. That does not mean there cannot be lighthearted moments in Spider-Man. Spider-Man has always had both. Lighthearted fun moments (exhilerating actually) BUT it has always had some of the BEST storylines in the business as well.

Well, you want to come in here and call me out. You questioned me like you were annoyed or something. Though, that's common around here with alot of people, so you're not the first. Let's not let this turn into an arguement is all I want, okay?

Called you out? DRAW PARDNER!!! :whatever:

Sheesh.. Touchy ain'tcha. I simply found it amusing that you agreed that Spidey should NOT be deep with the prior poster, but in the same post, you stated that they should have "deep" storylines in the Reboot like Capt Stacy's death, and the Night Gwen Stacy Died.

Compared to the Spider-man franchise though, Batman Begins was never that heavily marketed. Plus, Spider-man definitely seems to be more popular internationally than Batman (though for the life of me, I don't know why).

In fact in the UK... It semed like Fantastic Four was ganering all the attention that summer. Even Mamma Mia was putting a good fight up against The Dark Knight in 2008, regardless of the hype.

Batman Begins is a decent comparison for this movie... but it's certainly not one we should focus on too hevily.

BB here was advertised pretty good. It's just that people didn't go in droves to see it even thought it was a good movie. I don't even remember Spider-Man 1 having tv spots every other commercial break and that movie made huge bank. The difference between those two is that one was new and just starting and the other was trying to restart a ruined franchise. Spider-Man made double BB's domestic take.

Yes, but the basis of my quote was to understand your not wanting something deep, but wanting stories like the Night Gwen Stacy Died. YOU jumped to the assumption that if I dare question anything, I MUST be ragging on Raimi.
Let's be hoenst here. You give thumbs up to any post that calls Raimi's films mediocre, and then question people (and being sarcastic at the same time) on why they like the films. So it's more of a "I can't stand that people praise the films" type of thing I see going on.

I think it comes down to you not knowing what "deep" is. Storylines like Capt Stacy's death, the night Gwen Stacy Died.... say it with me... ARE DEEP. That does not mean there cannot be lighthearted moments in Spider-Man. Spider-Man has always had both. Lighthearted fun moments (exhilerating actually) BUT it has always had some of the BEST storylines in the business as well.
Oh, trust me, I know what deep is. You're right about the story though. Heck, that was my whole point to begin with. My entire post was pretty much me questioning why the film has to be in the "serious" and "dark" tone of TDK. It should be deep, but have a decent amount of lighthearted moments. I think this discussion took a left turn somewhere. Either I misunderstood you or you misunderstood me.

I never said it shouldn't be deep. What I pretty much meant was that it shouldn't be like TDK in terms of it's tone. It needs some comedic moments, which TDK did not have.

Let's be hoenst here. You give thumbs up to any post that calls Raimi's films mediocre, and then question people (and being sarcastic at the same time) on why they like the films. So it's more of a "I can't stand that people praise the films" type of thing I see going on.

1) Even if this were true, which it is not, as I have posted in several threads praising the things I lke about Raimi's Spider-Man (basically the action, the look of Doc Ock, Harry's character and storyline), you are still "labeling", something that you cry foul about us supposed Raimi Bashers doing to you "supposed" Raimi Lovers. Hypocrisy anyone?
2) AGAIN, the post had NOTHING to do with Raimi, but YOU brought it into the subject after you REPEATEDLY cry foul that us "Raimi Bashers" jump at any chance to rip him.
3) The post was and is about your saying you did not want deep in Spider-Man Reboot (basically you misspoke it now seems and now you say you meant all Dark all the time.. two entirely different things mind you) but then in the same post said you HOPE they build the Reboot around the deep (we both agree) storylines such as Capt Stacy's death or TNGSD.

I will see it twice, maybe 3 times... So it's already made over $20 dollars already!

1) Even if this were true, which it is not, as I have posted in several threads praising the things I lke about Raimi's Spider-Man (basically the action, the look of Doc Ock, Harry's character and storyline), you are still "labeling", something that you cry foul about us supposed Raimi Bashers doing to you "supposed" Raimi Lovers. Hypocrisy anyone?
Well, all I can say is that I'm sorry if it came off that way. It's just I'm so used to people doing that, now I just assume alot.

I'm gonna start fights on this forum.

*swings back hair out of eyes*

I know, 2 is so much different than 1! I like SM1 and love SM2 so you are barking up the wrong tree there.

Begins came off of a bad movie. This movie is coming off of a bad movie. Both are reboots. Audiences remember the last movie and they don't welcome reboots with open arms. I guarantee you that had SM4 been made it would not have had as big of an opening as SM3.

So according to you, TDK shouldn't have made money in the box office. Since you said people didn't like Begins, despite their attempt of advertising the crap out of it.

Contrary to popular belief, The Amazing Spider-Man isn't coming off one movie. It's coming off a franchise, as a whole. People are going to remember SM3 as much as they remember SM2 along with SM. If you can tell me that, as a whole, it was a terrible franchise/trilogy... Then you could continue to argue that the reboot will fail.

I never said people didn't like Begins. Show me where I said that.

BB came off a franchise. So why didn't people remember Batman 89 and Batman Returns? Batman 89 made $250 million domestic...in 1989.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"