Bumblebee The Bumblebee Spin-Off Official Thread

They confirmed that the Bumblebee movie will only have four robots in it. (This is coming from Lorenzo di Bonaventura, so take it with a grain of salt, he's been wrong before, sometimes I wonder if he's just making up stuff, lol.)

If it's true, I don't really have a problem with it. Pacific Rim only has four (main) robots and it's better than any of Bay's movies with 20+ robots.

We already know Bee and the red Plymouth villain.

I'm curious if Optimus is counted as one of the four, since he'll likely just be a cameo.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/china-transformers-producer-lorenzo-di-bonaventura-1202191402/

Hated the whole Bee has been around since the 1940s stuff. Hope they retcon that for this film.

It looks like Steve Jablonsky won't be returning to compose the score for this movie.

Thank goodness.

To be fair Jablonsky seems like a decent composer, but I've never really felt like his style of music fits the Transformers brand. I'm also getting sick of every big Hollywood movie essentially having the same generic score. Since it's set in the 80s, the Bumblebee movie should find someone who actually composed music for movies during that decade, or at very least find someone who can imitate that style. I really don't want this movie to sound like another generic 2010s action movie when there's much more interesting stuff to explore with 1980s-style music.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threa...se-the-score-for-the-bumblebee-movie.1125954/

Edit: Jablonsky's remark seems to imply that the movie will be coming out in summer of 2018, but the actual release date is still set for Christmas 2018. Either Jablonsky never heard about the movie getting pushed back, or...or...they've pushed the release date back to summer again...is...is that too much to hope for?

Last edited:
So does it have a title yet?

Transformers: Bee-otch seems appropo.

It looks like the title's been changed to "Bumblebee: The Movie".

I like it, it's has a retro sound to it, not to mention it's a nice throwback to the '86 "Transformers: The Movie". I'm curious if "Transformers Universe: Bumblebee" is still the official title or not.

I LOVE the font, it's super retro and fun looking. I hope they use it on all the marketing and in the movie itself.

BumblebeeTheMovieTit.jpg

i hope after more pictures and the first trailer is out there will be more talk about the movie

i hope after more pictures and the first trailer is out there will be more talk about the movie

Me too. The past Transformers movies have probably left people skeptical, but I'm surprised there isn't a bit more excitement for this one. It's the first Transformers live-action film without Bay directing, so it feels like it should be a bigger deal.

Me too. The past Transformers movies have probably left people skeptical, but I'm surprised there isn't a bit more excitement for this one. It's the first Transformers live-action film without Bay directing, so it feels like it should be a bigger deal.

Yeah...but it's also spinoff movie set in Bumblebee's past where there aren't really a significant number of autobots to get stoked for; more human characters actually. If they're dialing back, the hype for it would certainly dial back accordingly.

It's also maybe too soon for any hype.

Nice! Wonder if he's going to change into the Camaro in the film, or if that'll happen at a later point in Bumblebee's life? Either way, pretty cool to see the VW!!!

Last edited:
Yeah...but it's also spinoff movie set in Bumblebee's past where there aren't really a significant number of autobots to get stoked for; more human characters actually. If they're dialing back, the hype for it would certainly dial back accordingly.

It's also maybe too soon for any hype.

Yeah, that's true. I personally enjoy smaller-scale stories, but this type of thing isn't for a lot of people.

Nice! Wonder if he's going to change into the Camero in the film, or if that'll happen at a later point in Bumblebee's life? Either way, pretty cool to see the VW!!!

I would guess that we won't see that in the movie. It was kind of implied that Bumblebee took on the Camaro disguise specifically to appeal to Sam Witwicky (it was the only car in the lot that he seemed attracted to). Considering this movie takes place before Sam was even born, there would be no real reason for Bee to take on the disguise of a Camaro. Of course this series isn't known for strong continuity, so they could always forget that, lol.

I honestly hope they don't have him turn into a Camaro, I would really prefer them get away from the Bay stuff and just make it a good standalone adventure.

Having enjoyed the first 3, hated the fourth because it was one of the worst pieces of trash around. avoided the fifth entirely, i was definately thinking this maybe worth a watch now bay is out of the picture, checked out the cast and the lead actor = John Cena. this is going to be a disaster.

But if the other Transformers movies sucked, why should anyone assume this one will be good? Yeah, its not Bay who is directing it anymore, but its the world Bay created. Bay poisoned the well, this new movie will not get the benefit of the doubt from most people.

Once we get a trailer I imagine the hype will begin to build. I am hoping this can get the franchise back on track after TLK.

TransformersBumblebe.jpg

Here's our first look at the robot mode. I love how they've redesigned the entire thing, not just slapped VW parts on the existing CGI model. Some of the body is obscured, but I think it's going to be a pretty solid design. His cheek area looks a bit chubby, but I'd prefer chubby cheeks to the creepy gas mask-looking face he's had in the Bay films.

I sort of wish the RC car itself was more screen accurate, (I could have done without the black stripes), but on the other hand this is the first time in years that Transformers toy packaging has actually looked good.

TransformersBumblebe.jpg

Here's our first look at the robot mode. I love how they've redesigned the entire thing, not just slapped VW parts on the existing CGI model. Some of the body is obscured, but I think it's going to be a pretty solid design. His cheek area looks a bit chubby, but I'd prefer chubby cheeks to the creepy gas mask-looking face he's had in the Bay films.

I sort of wish the RC car itself was more screen accurate, (I could have done without the black stripes), but on the other hand this is the first time in years that Transformers toy packaging has actually looked good.

Looks pretty cool! :woot:

Looks good - a little simplistic in comparison to the elaborate gaggle of parts he had in TF '07 (which is this supposed to precede), but I ain't complaining.

I still think it's weird that they're taking Bumblebee back to a VW alt-mode after a whole decade's worth of Camaro. To me it feels like the whole thing going on with Superman's red trunks: awkward in a sort of the-ex-who-left-you-wants-to-get-back-together-but-you've-already-moved-on kind of way.

I really like how they've simplified the look (I honestly hope all TF movies moving forward have a simpler look.) I understand the need to make them more complex than they were in, say, the 80s cartoon, but I've always felt like the previous movies overdid it with the detail to the point that most of the robots don't really read well on-screen. Some of the robots in the first trilogy especially just look like jumbles.

(This is also a cartoony picture for the toy packaging, it's possible that the on screen design will be more complex, hopefully not too much though.)

I get what your saying about the VW mode, but I don't think it's a huge concern. Superman's trunks run the risk of looking silly, but there's nothing too goofy or juvenile about a VW beetle. I actually think a VW "bug" is a more appropriate vehicle form for him since his name is "Bumblebee". (On a related note, I just realized earlier today that those antennas on his head are supposed to look like bee antennas..I can't believe it took me so long to realize that...I guess it reads better on this simpler design.)

There's also a logical explanation for the lack of Camaro mode in this movie...it's implied Bee took on the Camaro form to appeal to Sam, but Sam wouldn't have been alive (or would have been very young) when this movie takes place. Within the context of the story, it actually wouldn't make sense for Bee to be a Camaro yet.

A lot of people seem to think that Bumblebee being a VW will confuse kids (or the modern audience in general), but Bee has actually been a small hatchback (sort of a VW knockoff) in a lot of recent toys, comics, and games; so that concept isn't just some "old-fangled callback" for the 80s fans. (I'd actually argue that the movies and cartoons have been the outliers by making him a muscle car.) I feel like a VW is more than within in the modern spirit of the character.

(On a related note, I just realized earlier today that those antennas on his head are supposed to look like bee antennas..I can't believe it took me so long to realize that...I guess it reads better on this simpler design.)

More of a recent movie addition, which was only really visible with his face plate mode. Never understood the devil horns.

Car-wise, they could have also gone for a Saab Sonett.

More of a recent movie addition, which was only really visible with his face plate mode. Never understood the devil horns.

Car-wise, they could have also gone for a Saab Sonett.

I never understood the horns either. The original toys came before the fiction, so maybe whoever named that toy interpreted the horns as bug antenna? I actually prefer the antenna on the movie version, I think they do a nice homage to the horns while making a bit more sense visually.

http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/01/30/hailee-steinfeld-perform-songs-bumblebee-movie-357503

Uhh...Hailee Steinfeld singing? DJ Bumblebee? I guess it could be cute if it's just a quick thing (or maybe a credits song), but I hope they don't try to cram in whole dance numbers or something (unless it's just a straight up comedy). I hope it doesn't play out as an advertisement for Hailee Steinfeld's next album.

For the record I'm not a huge fan of her music, although I think it's more the songs themselves than her singing voice (which seems fine). I've tried to get into them, but I just can't. I suppose I might enjoy covers of 80s songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"