The Burton Films Batman and Batman Returns.

Morgoth

Sidekick
Reaction score
This thread is to celebrate the originals. Sure some things were changed and it wasn't as faithful to the comic book as Batman Begins but BB wasn't 100% faithful either.

There's a certain spirit of Batman that was captured beautifully in the Burton movies. A spirit that is missing in "Begins". I like BB alot but Burton's movies are something special.

When I was ten years old I went to the theater every weekend to see Batman. I loved it. I knew the Joker didn't kill Bruce's parents but I still liked it.

I really didn't want the Joker to die. All I know is when that them started, everytime I saw it I went nuts!

I still get chills when that classic Batman theme begins, starting off slowly and grows until, Ta Da!, BATMAN appears and it goes wild from there.

I remember the first time I saw the Bat logo circling I was trying to figure out what it was, I thought it was going to be the Bat Cave. And then when it was revealed to be the Bat logo I was like, Oh Cool!

I was hooked from the minute Batman drops slowly behind the two thugs that just mugged that poor couple, cape spread into Bat wings, so cool, the sound of the gravel crunching beneath the Dark Knight's boots as the two crooks look up startled as they look upon the dark avenger, this beastly spectre before them.

I freaked when I saw the Batarang, I just loved seeing it. It's always been my favorite of Bat weapons.

Then he beat the crap outta' them, and then came the famous line:" I want you to do me a favor, I want you to tell all your friends about me." "What are you?!" "I'm Batman."

When Batman Returns came out it was June 19th, it was the last day of school, I just got home checked the times in the paper then called my friend and his Mom took us to the theater.

We waited out side for a bit, after waiting awhile an usher came out saying that there was a problem with the projector and it would be fixed soon. The line was so long, from the ticket booth to the middle of the parking lot. We got there early enough to get a good spot in line. Good thing the last day of school was only an hour long.

I loved Batman Returns. I also became a Christopher Walken fan because of that movie. It was the first time I'd seen him in anything. I made sure to watch everytime he was on Saturday Night Live after seeing BR and his Continental sketches.

But back to BatmanReturns. I was happy to see the Batarang again, even moreso, because it looked like the comics' version this time, I liked the one from Batman but this one was better, plus it had a navigational system this time, not that I felt he needed it but still cool.

My friend and I thought the Penguin had a lot of good lines, one of our faves was, "Get in the Duck."

I have a goofy sense of humor, I've always had it, so I loved the dark humor that was in BR.

Such a beautiful scene when Batman spreads his cape into Batwings that was a hanglider as he flew among the Bats.

I couldn't wait for more, so sad Tim didn't return.

I couldn't agree with you more, I love Tim Burton's films, especially his Batman films. I love the whole scene on the roof with the two muggers, I love the costumes, the props, the scenery and Michael Keaton was the best Batman ever, and will never be beaten.

I thought Burton's Gotham was a little too cartoony, but it matched with the films.

captain_jimbo said:
I couldn't agree with you more, I love Tim Burton's films, especially his Batman films. I love the whole scene on the roof with the two muggers, I love the costumes, the props, the scenery and Michael Keaton was the best Batman ever, and will never be beaten.
Keaton will never be Beaten. That should be your signature. lol. :) Such good movies. I had to have spent a fortune on tickets in the summer of 89.:up:

Silver Sable said:
I liked how Burton did Gotham city :up:
Yeah, it was dark and gothic, it was just right.

It got a bit more style to it in "Returns", still cool. But I remember when I first saw Returns, I felt Gotham didn't feel as big and open as it did in Batman. But I still love it.

I liked that the Bat suit got a bit of a make over to make it more form fitting, Burton wanted it to look like an Oscar, more sleek.

I just like the muscle look better on the suit compared to the armor look on the chest and abs, but once again I still like it, I just liked the natural look better.

I was happy when The Penguin had a scene where he wore his top hat and monicle, I wish they could've had more of that instead of him in his long underwear all the time.

I thought the Catwoman costume was perfect and Michelle had such a great voice for it. Sexy and sultry, just right. At times her voice sounded like a purr then a growl.

The Burton movies will always be my favorite Batman movies, because I have so many memories of watching them when I was younger. :up: Couldn't love them more.

Burton's Batman movies were completely faithful to Burton's Batman. Which was what he was hired to create.

I liked Burton's Batman films, but I do not agree with Burton that big, muscular, square jawed men do not need the element of surprise. Even Arnold Scwharzenegger needed the element of surprise.

I rented Batman Returns yesterday. When all of the batman DVDs were released last year, I only picked up Begins and the original 89. 89 is good but it feels really dated at some times. It didn't age too well. Honestly I have watched the extra features much more than the film and enjoy them immensely, so it was a good purchase.
Since I didn't purchase the others, I thought I would at least rent Returns to check out the features...plus I hadn't seen the film in some time.
I'm glad I didn't purchase it. It may be the best of the sequels, but it's just too Tim Burton for me. People rave about how those films were a return to the roots of the comic rather than the campy TV show, but honestly..I still see a heavy influence of the TV show in the camp of all four of the original films.
The one element of that film that makes it worth watching is Michelle Pfeifer as Catwoman. I would put her on Nicholson's level as far as a bat-villian performance. Her character went through quite a transformation which was fun to watch. She did a great job capturing that character. Plus, she looked hot.
It was nice to go back and watch it again but it also reassured me that I did the right thing with only buying the 2 films that I did. Begins is without a doubt, the best IMO.

co2 said:
The one element of that film that makes it worth watching is Michelle Pfeifer as Catwoman. I would put her on Nicholson's level as far as a bat-villian performance. Her character went through quite a transformation which was fun to watch. She did a great job capturing that character. Plus, she looked hot.
Michelle Pfeiffer wearing all that leahter is the only reason to buy the movie. ;)

Dr. Fate said:
I liked Burton's Batman films, but I do not agree with Burton that big, muscular, square jawed men do not need the element of surprise. Even Arnold Scwharzenegger needed the element of surprise.
I don't like how he said you would get laughs if you put a serious actor in the suit, that doesn't make sense, he's a serious character, and people know he looks a certain way, so they wouldn't laugh if say Mel Gibson got the part, they'd know he's a good looking big guy, you know, they wouldn't laugh. That's just Tim's excuse to do it his way and get his angle on how the suit is what makes him go from normal guy to Dark Knight. Still love his Bat-films, just not what he said about that.

Noone laughed at Bale, everyone loves seeing someone physically fit and someone with the right look. Keaton looked good as Bruce he had that dark look, and he is my fave Batman, he had the best voice and it worked for Tim's angle, but it is nice to see someone that looks more like the comics.

Although Keaton does look like the comics somewhat, his eyes and eye brows really do it for him.

Also, Micheal Keaton has the best Batman voice, Bale really needs to work on it.

Morgoth said:
Keaton will never be Beaten. That should be your signature. lol. :) Such good movies. I had to have spent a fortune on tickets in the summer of 89.:up:

And I would add a fortune in merchandise as well. I mean the bat-logo was everywhere. I bought everything I could get my hands on !

Bruce_Wayne29 said:
And I would add a fortune in merchandise as well. I mean the bat-logo was everywhere. I bought everything I could get my hands on !
Oh yeah, I had all the action figures, Batman with Bat-rope in his belt, Joker with actual squirting flower, and Bob with his knife and gun.

Had the vehicles too, I should just say I had the whole movie toy collection.

Posters, an "Applause" Batman doll, that was about the sixe of my fore arm, a small "applause" Batman hanging on a bat-rope attached to a suction cup with the bat-logo on it, so it was like the Bat-sygnal.

Also had the soundtrack and the score. Hate the songs but just got it. Love the score though, I need to get it on cd now though.

Morgoth said:
I don't like how he said you would get laughs if you put a serious actor in the suit, that doesn't make sense, he's a serious character, and people know he looks a certain way, so they wouldn't laugh if say Mel Gibson got the part, they'd know he's a good looking big guy, you know, they wouldn't laugh. That's just Tim's excuse to do it his way and get his angle on how the suit is what makes him go from normal guy to Dark Knight. Still love his Bat-films, just not what he said about that.

Noone laughed at Bale, everyone loves seeing someone physically fit and someone with the right look. Keaton looked good as Bruce he had that dark look, and he is my fave Batman, he had the best voice and it worked for Tim's angle, but it is nice to see someone that looks more like the comics.
Exactly.

Yes. Never listen to what a director has to say about his own movies. If you want to see what he really has to say, watch the movie.

I want to see all my old friends come back and discuss how great these movies were rather than say how much Begins is better, bla bla bla all the time. Beaten. Horse.

I truly was in awe while watching 89. It was like nothing I'd ever seen. really. It had perfect music complementing great performances from Keaton and Nicholson which completely trapped me in this fantasy world. It set the standard for how batman could work in a serious way, not like Adam west did it. I think those are good words to describe it. And bats, lots of bats.

Say what you want, but Begins is everything the old movies were minus the bad stuff. I know that stung a few of you to read that, but I honestly think that way and that's what I'm going to keep thinking forever.

It's a bit dated now, but that was inevitable. The movie's still entertaining; It's all very good.

Sure I love Burton Batman movies but Begins is just too good.

Seriously, why does everyone bring up the other bat movies when its just a Burton batman movie thread?

B'89 Still give me goose bumps everytime i watch it, Love it.
Batman Returns lose a little of that feeling.. mainly because WB let Burton do whatever he wanted whit it, A burton movie.

Proximo said:
Seriously, why does everyone bring up the other bat movies when its just a Burton batman movie thread?

Insecurity or intimidation.Take your pick ;)

Well, no. I think it is simply that after seeing Begins, you don't look at the originals the same way, so it has to come up, right?
Personally, I still like the first film. Nothing has changed that.

Wesyeed said:
Say what you want, but Begins is everything the old movies were minus the bad stuff. I know that stung a few of you to read that, but I honestly think that way and that's what I'm going to keep thinking forever.

haha. that is the funniest quote of the day. I'm not exactly sure how that supports your case. Weren't you championing the Burton films? And I don't think that stings anyone.

Morgoth, i understand completely what you are saying. Where you use the term "spirit" i always refer to it as "atmosphere". The Burton movie, 89 especially, had this. Im an 89 ****e, always will be. This will always be my favorite Batman movie. And when people refer to 89 as being "dated", i disagree with that. Look at the original King Kong, do people call that "dated"? Theres only one term that comes to mind. Classic.

co2 said:
haha. that is the funniest quote of the day. I'm not exactly sure how that supports your case. Weren't you championing the Burton films? And I don't think that stings anyone.

i don't know if you were here then, but there were numerous threads bashing the burton films in an effort to show how superior Begins was. I can't remember my case really. All I know is that Begins, to me, is all four batflicks, but a collection of the best parts.And there's nothing wrong with that. But Saying that sort of thing back then had a few calling for a hanging, I tell you. They wanted nothing in begins to be linked to the old films. I'm not so sure of it now though. maybe everybody moved on and got lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"