The Avengers The Captain America/Chris Evans Thread - Part 2

I did hear some snickering when Cap first appeared on screen in full costume.

The kids and young people all liked Hulk and Iron Man the most, which is understandable as they are the flashiest. But all the mothers and elder people absolutely adored Captain America lol

Come on Rock. A sarcasm smiley and a wink. You must be tired. :p

But no. No laughing from anyone. The moment cap showed up in costume was a GREAT moment in a film full of great moments.

Come on Rock. A sarcasm smiley and a wink. You must be tired. :p

But no. No laughing from anyone. The moment cap showed up in costume was a GREAT moment in a film full of great moments.

Haha my bad ....

So I hear ya didnt like evans as rogers in
TFA. Why was that?

So I hear ya didnt like evans as rogers in
TFA. Why was that?

Well, I didn't particularly like the casting to begin with. There's something about Evans that previously rubbed me the wrong way. When I watch him act, it's almost like he doesn't want to be there. It's not that I didn't like anything about him in CA:TFA though. I liked him far more as skinny Steve than I did Cap. I felt the latter was flatly written and Evans struggled with presenting a straight laced character ..... he seemed to equate it as being blah or indifferent. He was far more intense as a skinny character than he was a yoked out superhero. Again, some of it has to do with the writing as you can see what the potential is when someone like Whedon is at the helm. A scene that comes to mind where I was like "Really this is all you give him?" was that moment when Red Skull says to him "You never give up do you?" ..... to which his entire response was "Nope!". Just stuff like that left much to be desired.

Well, I didn't particularly like the casting to begin with. There's something about Evans that previously rubbed me the wrong way. When I watch him act, it's almost like he doesn't want to be there. It's not that I didn't like anything about him in CA:TFA though. I liked him far more as skinny Steve than I did Cap. I felt the latter was flatly written and Evans struggled with presenting a straight laced character ..... he seemed to equate it as being blah or indifferent. He was far more intense as a skinny character than he was a yoked out superhero. Again, some of it has to do with the writing as you can see what the potential is when someone like Whedon is at the helm. A scene that comes to mind where I was like "Really this is all you give him?" was that moment when Red Skull says to him "You never give up do you?" ..... to which his entire response was "Nope!". Just stuff like that left much to be desired.
While i kinda like that simple "nope" reply and I loved TFA., I totally see what you mean. Whedon really gave him a strong voice as a character in TA. He's really come into his own in the avengers and is able to act more like the cap we all know from the comics.

Never happened to me either. In my 3rd viewing, it was primarily kids and parents and they erupted in applause anytime Cap did anything.

Likewise, I never heard any laughs or chuckles when CA came on screen.

While i kinda like that simple "nope" reply and I loved TFA., I totally see what you mean. Whedon really gave him a strong voice as a character in TA. He's really come into his own in the avengers and is able to act more like the cap we all know from the comics.

I mean take the scene in Stuttgart. His entrance and the delivery of the "You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing." That was written perfectly and Evans flexed a superhero vibe that I absolutely did not find in CA:TFA ..... It was awesome.

The new costume worked better in motion on screen than it did in stills for me. I still prefer the old suit but the new one was good. Some sort of combination of the two would be ideal.

Evans absolutely nailed Cap in this.
In TFA there was NO question to me that he nailed the Steve Rogers Persona, but there really wasn't enough of him in the 'Cap/squad leader' position to see.
My heart absolutely welled in my chest when he began calling out orders to the team after the group circle.
It meant even more, that the most individualistic character (Stark) looked to Cap.
("Call it Cap!")
Going into the film, I was nervous as to whether or not I'd be able to 'buy' Evans giving orders to presences such as Downey, Renner and Ruffalo.
Doubts squashed.

The Big four
Iron-Man-leads-the-core-four-of-The-Avengers-VI1DPVTE-x-large.jpg

concept art of the Big three
325max.jpg

Last edited:
I think after The Avengers Evans will have silenced any critics of him as Cap, he just really captures the earnest integrity of the character perfectly and provides a great contrast to the brashness of Tony and Thor, as well as the conflict of Banner.

Lol, the pic of the four up there reminds me of a boy band reuniting after 20 years. Also did not intentionally mean that as reference to IM2.

What do you guys think about this complaint I keep hearing about people saying that Captain America becoming the apparent leader of the team feeling forced?

For me, it seems like another one of those baseless nitpicks IMO. I mean, it's not like it comes out of nowhere. Throughout the entire movie, Steve has been trying to lasso the characters and the situations the best he could and it's not like he isn't the same strong leader of a character we already saw in his solo movie. I mean, it seems like fans just want the movie to stop and explain and develop certain things that seem like a retread of what should already be clear.

I mean take the scene in Stuttgart. His entrance and the delivery of the "You know, the last time I was in Germany and saw a man standing above everybody else, we ended up disagreeing." That was written perfectly and Evans flexed a superhero vibe that I absolutely did not find in CA:TFA ..... It was awesome.

I love how some people in the crowd started to stand up as Cap walked past them and spoke to Loki... As if they were inspired by his bravery at that moment.

What do you guys think about this complaint I keep hearing about people saying that Captain America becoming the apparent leader of the team feeling forced?

For me, it seems like another one of those baseless nitpicks IMO. I mean, it's not like it comes out of nowhere. Throughout the entire movie, Steve has been trying to lasso the characters and the situations the best he could and it's not like he isn't the same strong leader of a character we already saw in his solo movie. I mean, it seems like fans just want the movie to stop and explain and develop certain things that seem like a retread of what should already be clear.

There will always be haters around, but I really pay no attention to them.

I've seen the movie three times now: Once was the fan screening, once at Disney, and the last being the AMC Marvel Ultimate Marathon. These were all in LA, and I never heard any laughing or cynicism directed at Cap's costume. If anything people seemed to like Cap and his sort of old fashioned character which I think Whedon nailed really well. Like when Cap talks down a pilot when they go onto the jet and Cap just sons him and goes, "Son, don't. Just don't." Yeah that's Captain America. I think Evans delivered that line very well.

To Rock Sexton, when Cap is confronting Red Skull in his movie, I kind of liked that moment where Skull asks what makes him so special and he just says, "Nothing. I'm just a kid from Brooklyn." I think those were moments I think Evans played really well as Cap and giving him that integrity I wanted. I never got that sense of heroism and integrity from Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan for that matter. Not that Reynolds can't do something like that he just didn't do it in Green Lantern.

I've seen the movie three times now: Once was the fan screening, once at Disney, and the last being the AMC Marvel Ultimate Marathon. These were all in LA, and I never heard any laughing or cynicism directed at Cap's costume. If anything people seemed to like Cap and his sort of old fashioned character which I think Whedon nailed really well. Like when Cap talks down a pilot when they go onto the jet and Cap just sons him and goes, "Son, don't. Just don't." Yeah that's Captain America. I think Evans delivered that line very well.

To Rock Sexton, when Cap is confronting Red Skull in his movie, I kind of liked that moment where Skull asks what makes him so special and he just says, "Nothing. I'm just a kid from Brooklyn." I think those were moments I think Evans played really well as Cap and giving him that integrity I wanted. I never got that sense of heroism and integrity from Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan for that matter. Not that Reynolds can't do something like that he just didn't do it in Green Lantern.

I agree. The ''nope'' was underwhelming, sure, but post serum Cap really hit all the right spots for me personally. (''Nothin. Just a kid from Brooklyn.'' ''That's exactly what we're gonna do.'' ''Then how come you're running!?'')

Without being a hater, I think it felt a tad forced. He wasn't trying to lasso everyone as one would expect and as you rightly put it. He had too much to do with Stark and too little to do with the rest of them. It was almost as if they wrote him as a foil to Tony which is fine, but at least they should've written more between him and Thor and Banner and Natasha.

As for the climax, when IM tells Cap "Call it, Cap", I honestly believe he hadn't "earned" it, if only because in the script there was never a matter of who gets to lead the team. So, yeah, imo he's not their natural leader. Yet. Nothing that makes or breaks the movie and nothing that can't be touched upon the sequel.

People who make too big a deal out of it, though? Yeah, it's nitpicking.

Never happened to me either. In my 3rd viewing, it was primarily kids and parents and they erupted in applause anytime Cap did anything.
I don't know.. at the theatre I went too, everyone was wearing Captain America shirts. There were some Iron Man shirts, a couple Thor shirts, and maybe like 1 Hulk shirt. Also saw a Hawkeye shirt. Nothing for Widow or Fury though.

All I know, is that I kept waiting for the Captain to yell "Flame On." :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"