The Captain Marvel User Review Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!)

Captain Marvel last night for my theatre was packed and I caught the latest showing in 3D IMAX. It is the only way to really watch this film to really get into it and enjoy it.

I really love how she doesn't have to kill them to win at the end. She shows so much power that she's able to tell them to hop along. Brilliant.

When I say AOU, I'm not comparing the two in the sense of the type of movie. I'm saying I liked them the same. I wasn't a huge fan of AOU, but I thought it was necessary to the overall story. Maybe it's a strange comparison, my bad.

The thing is about the world building in the MCU is that they end up being the only thing I end up enjoying in the films that get assigned to it. I mean Fury, Phil and the Skrulls were my favourite parts of this film. Larson was very good but I left her solo film not really thinking about her. I look forward to seeing her as part of the ensemble.

The thing is about the world building in the MCU is that they end up being the only thing I end up enjoying in the films that get assigned to it. I mean Fury, Phil and the Skrulls were my favourite parts of this film. Larson was very good but I left her solo film not really thinking about her. I look forward to seeing her as part of the ensemble.

Carol is more an ensemble character who doesn't really need a franchise

Very cool and amazing. It's no Wonder Woman and some scenes fell flat and the villains didn't impress me, but I love that we finally got a female led Marvel film that doesn't suck. The structure of the origin story was interesting This reminds of The First Avenger, not groundbreaking as a film but a decent superhero film and I love that Marvel Stud10s can really make movies for b listers (now a female character) and have the general public flock to see it. Love the cat!

7/10.

Saw it, enjoyed it. I liked it. Mostly because its anew Marvel movie lol

I wasn't wowed by anything which I'm disappointed about considering she's a cosmic hero dealing with intergalactic beings and I wish there was more action pieces and space stuff to gawk at.

I also felt the humor lacked and almost felt cheesy in some areas. This movie feels like it was geared towards a younger audience and I get it...

I can see some of the criticism about the film or the character of Carol Danvers... not enough for me to hate it and go on a internet wide forum lynch. The cries are exaggerated imo.

My biggest gripe I guess is this movie did nothing to make me like Captain Marvel. Not that I disliked her, just nothing about this movie made me a fan or care if I see her agin or not.

So for me its on par with the less Umf! movies like Dr Strange and CA1

Worth going to see, it's a fun time. But it left me wishing they had done more with this big event first time female lead in a Marvel film considering the ramifications moving forward in the MCU.

5 out of 10

I wanted to like this, but I felt the writing/directing is really what let it down. No one's performance stood out. It seemed to be trying to emulate better much movies with no significant degree of success. The action, the humour. It just fell flat and there were a couple of times I was just scratching my head with the choices they made.

It was an ok movie. Felt perfunctory and nothing really blew my mind. My favorite part was the chase on the train. It definitely felt like a 90s movie for that sequence in the way it was shot.

But I agree with others that the other action sequences, especially on the spaceships were shot so dark that it was hard to make out what was going on. And they forced it too hard to connect to the overall universe.

Yeah it felt like a 90s period piece because it was designed that way and it felt like a superhero film of the 1990s like think early 90s DC kind of feel to it but it also had that 90s action movie type feel to it as well...It had a little bit of everything

I enjoyed it. Liked the references/tie ins to past Marvel films/shows (Project PEGASUS, Kree visiting earth, GoTG characters, etc). The film could have been stronger/fleshed out more in some areas, but otherwise it was quite enjoyable. I am hoping there were/are some Skrulls who aren't as forgiving or have different plans for the future.

Also, the origin/explanation of her powers makes me think that those recent reddit Endgame leaks are more legit.

Just came back - we liked everything about it.

Brie was really sassy and charming in the role - can't believe so many people doubted her. The critiques about the trailers, her not having facial expressions - it's all nonsense and she gave a really good performance. I can see her leading the Avengers going forward.

Carol's powers at the end were very cool (my boy Thanos is about to get whopped).

Carol's chemistry with Fury was off the charts - loved every minute of it.

Ben Mendelsohn was pure awesomeness. Loved the twist with him, really didn't expect it.

My only critique was that Ronan, Korath and Coulson were really wasted and you could play the film without them and nothing would change. You could see they were added for fan service.

Lastly,

Fury typing off the "Avengers" Initiative with the theme playing and THAT end-credit scene with Carol's new suit were pure win. My hype for Endgame is off the chart now.

7.5/10

Yeah I thought Brie did a fine job but I think she will work better in an ensemble.

Just came back - we liked everything about it.

Brie was really sassy and charming in the role - can't believe so many people doubted her. The critiques about the trailers, her not having facial expressions - it's all nonsense and she gave a really good performance. I can see her leading the Avengers going forward.

Carol's powers at the end were very cool (my boy Thanos is about to get whopped).

Carol's chemistry with Fury was off the charts - loved every minute of it.

Ben Mendelsohn was pure awesomeness. Loved the twist with him, really didn't expect it.

My only critique was that Ronan, Korath and Coulson were really wasted and you could play the film without them and nothing would change. You could see they were added for fan service.

Lastly,

Fury typing off the "Avengers" Initiative with the theme playing and THAT end-credit scene with Carol's new suit were pure win. My hype for Endgame is off the chart now.

7.5/10
Agreed except for Phil. He had a small role but this film explained why he was Fury's no 2 instead of just being a random agent. Gregg just does a fantastic job at being a good dude.

It is OK but it's one of the lowest scoring MCU movies. On par with Thor - Dark World. Why?
Most important - I do not care about CA. She is not likeble - it seems as someone told Ms Larson to play female version of Tom Cruise from Top Gun and it failed. The loopholes in the screenplay bigger than usual... On good sides- great comedic performance of Mr Jackson.

6/10 at most. I am generally MCU fan over DC but Aquaman was much more better.

I just came back from watching it.

I would give it 7/10.

it's average like most of MCU movies.

Brie was fine and her interactions with Sam are really good.

I have no idea where the hate for Brie came.

she was good, not the best ever, but she will find her footing like CA and Thor did.

some things I didn't like were:

1. Fury's eye being scratch by a cat was meh tbh and Last time I trusted someone I lost my eye is a joke LoL

2. Fury's We are outgunned when Thor and Loki arrived holds no merit nor it does make sense

3. Fury making up the Avengers project because of Captain Marvel didn't set well for me

other then that, movie was good.

I liked this a lot. It wasn't anything groundbreaking and I don't think I would count it among the great MCU films, but I felt that it laid a strong foundation for the character that I look forward to seeing how they build upon in the future.

Definitely looking forward to seeing it again in the coming days.

Last edited:
I'll give it a 7. It didn't give me the warm fuzzy feelings that I had watching Wonder Woman and Black Panther. I think the script could've been better and didn't really do much to show Brie as the great actress she is.

For me it is like 6.5 bordering on 7

I loved this. Started a little slow but finished strong. The movie was entertaining, full of action and heart. Brie was great, I'm surprised some found her bland. The supporting cast were also great especially SLJ, Mendelsohn and Lashana.

8.5/10.

Jude Law was probably my favorite part of the film as well as Annette Bening her character was really weird to the point of being a chameleon but I would have never have known it was her...that's how great she was

There weren't any "Wow" moments for me. I thought we should've gotten that at the end when she

Broke free of the device damping her powers

Maybe it was because they showed it in the trailers/tv spots so much I wasn't that surprised or anything. Also the score/soundtrack didn't help things

Well after all that hype and stuff surrounding the film it was good to finally see what the fuss was all about, and to be honest its not a film to get that worked up about being a fairly average comic book movie, nothing more nothing less.

It has the odd moment here and there and the cat is the highlight but everything else was rather mute by todays comic book standards, its not anywhere near the top tier of of the MCU and more along the lines of IM2, Cap1 or Thor 2 which surprised me a little as the action sequences really felt off and nothing stood out about them which considering what we got in the likes of Caps WS and CW and of course IW felt like a step back, also the sound mixing or something to do with the sound didnt hit home or have the impact you have come to expect from other MCU films.

As for the character itself, it is hard to judge not really knowing the character that well, but I thought Brie was fine, some of the flatness and tone might be more the writing which was a little more wonky than other MCU films so may not be her fault but to be fair she may own the roll in future installments with better scripts/story/action. Her performance or character didnt grab me and make me fall in love with her like Cap did, even in his first film, his journey from being just a small regular guy wanting to do the right thing gave you much more too root for where as here CM doesnt have that hook but again maybe future turns will iron out the kinks or give us more reason to really get invested in her like Cap, IM or BP etc.

Everything else was as you'd expect, again, nothing amazing but nothing terrible either, SLJ did fine and worked well with Brie, his de-aging was pretty damn good, where as Coulsen looked like a Ken doll that had melted in the sun a bit and couldnt move his face but wasnt around much so no biggy, the other CGI was a bit hit and miss but mostly fine and nothing BP bad. The bad guy/s were again decent but nothing too memorable with some cross overs from other films there for there's sake rather than for any great purpose and the soundtrack, while nice to hear some good 90's stuff felt forced into proceedings rather than naturally part of the movie like GOTG say.

So overall an ok first outing for CM, it was one of those films that just had that little thing missing but you cant quite put your finger on why or what and feels like it should have come out in Phase 1 or something as I think pretty much everything in this film has been done better in countless other MCU films alone but overall its fun for what it is just a little flat.

6.5/10

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"