The Captain Marvel User Review Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by flickchick85, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Mysteryman Registered

Cant wait for that AForce movie!

2. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Reminder: TAG SPOILERS, people!

3. Filmfan93 The Man in Black

Sorry for my comment. This is the first time I am seeing someone hate IW (and I've seen a lot of comments since last April).

And this is the first time I am seeing someone say IW killed their interest for Endgame.

I am utterly amazed. No joking here.

4. Mr. Peanut Registered

Honestly, I'm tired of the whole "this whole species is evil" shtick. It's an outdated convention that plays on our primitive instincts to fear that which is different from us. It's refreshing to have that idea turned on its head. I like that the MCU doesn't really have any races that are just entirely evil by nature (even the Chitauri are only the way they are because they were engineered to be that way by Thanos).

THORin likes this.
  5. Sithborg The Pink Devil

For obvious reasons, I stayed out of the IW forum. I generally stick to the civil war thread in the movie forum, since I seem to have uncommon opinions on movies. Perhaps the fact that this is a "phase 1" movie is why it is appealing to me more than other Marvel offerings.

RoastBeast likes this.
  6. Filmfan93 The Man in Black

Small remark here.

The "Thanos: Titan Consumed" novel reveals that Thanos discovered the Chitauri race when travelling space and they had a hive-up mind and wanted to be controlled.

Hence why they were easily controlled and he became their leader. He didn't engineer them.

Broseph44 likes this.
  7. RoastBeast Barbary Coast

SithBorg isn't the only one, I think those of us who did not like it one bit utterly amazed people so much we've learned to be quiet about it. Last time I rushed about trying to get tickets the second they were available, so I haven't seen CM yet- appreciate these reviews and will see it, but pay matinee prices, I thank you for all the reviews as I respect the views of folks in here more than the debacle of online review sites.

Filmfan93 likes this.
  8. Sithborg The Pink Devil

Oh, I'm not quiet about it. I just know the best place to talk about it. Hanging around the Avengers forum and really only posting my negativity would be trolling. Though, I think it is an important disclaimer on whether to listen to my opinion or not. I freely acknowledge I have... questionable taste.

Shuri, RoastBeast and Filmfan93 like this.
  9. RoastBeast Barbary Coast

I get it. I didn't want to kill the buzz so just shared once. (and I got accused of being a DC lover) (lol)

I'll post a late review in here... interested to see where I fall on this one!

10. DaddlerTheDalek Starship Captain

I think it's pretty good. The 90s stuff was fun.

THORin likes this.
  11. Mr. Peanut Registered

Well, I don't think novels are something the movies are beholden to, but regardless, the Chitauri are clearly engineered by someone, so it's not like each individual Chitauri makes the choice to be evil.

THORin likes this.
  12. Heretic Registered

I saw it a few days ago, but held off of the review to give it some time to settle in my mind. Also, I think pretty much everything has been said here by others.

I think it's a poorly done, generic blockbuster type film that I had a blast watching anyway.

Shameless fan service...only morons fall for this kind of trickery that takes the place of well developed characters and storylines...so, call me a moron...I liked it.

I never felt a second of high stakes or any real threat...and didn't care for some reason.

I'm not sure why I am so easy on this movie when I am often so critical of others...I think there's a certain value in "I had fun." Nothing about the movie angered me, the way Infinity War did (which was otherwise a much better film)...it was just a sloppy but fun popcorn flick.

13. Patrick77 Registered

There are some very solid reasons to intensely dislike Infinity War. I've certainly seen that opinion around in various forms.

As a fan, I loved it, and I had a great time seeing it in the theater. But I would have probably given the movie a mixed review if I had been attempting to look it as somebody who was not a particular fan of the MCU in general.

Regarding Captain Marvel...

What struck me as odd about this movie is that its choice to have the character's origin reconstructed over the course of the movie, rather than being presented in a linear way, didn't have the impact that I would have expected.

It's an interesting idea, but I still didn't feel all that differently about this movie as an origin story than I have about a lot of origin stories, like Doctor Strange, for example. At least not on the initial viewing. I will have to keep an eye on this question when I see it again.

I was reminded somewhat of the first Thor movie, because of the starkly contrasting tones. We start out in space, then the character arrives on earth, it feels like a completely different movie, almost like a buddy movie for a while, and then there is the finale back in space. A much more impressive finale than in Thor, but it's a somewhat similar progression.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and everybody I saw the movie with seemed to like it even more than I did, which is a good sign.

14. Frodo Registered

The film definitely takes me back to that time in so many ways. The Blockbuster video scene reminded me of my teen years when I would walk through the isles looking for cbm's and tv shows on vhs in the early and mid-nineties .

I was 16 when the film takes place , so the nostalgia really got me. The ironic thing is that in 1995, it seemed like a near impossibility there would ever even be a MCU let alone that a Spiderman , Iron Man or even a Captain Marvel film would ever get off the ground.

15. beenie123 Registered

I went in with low expectations and was still underwhelmed. Pretty much in the bottom half of the MCU for me and only slightly better than ant man and the wasp. It's a marvel movie so as always you will get a chuckle here and there and some chase and action sequences which will always keep it mildly entertaining but that's pretty much where the positives lie for me. Almost everything else felt so generic and uninspired almost like an expensive version of one of those CW shows with some of the dialogue, writing and even some of the action sequences. It's not particularly terrible or bad per say just very mediocre and of the solo origin movies its probably my least favourite. 4.5/10

My ratings for MCU after that

1. Black Panther- 8.5
    2. Guardians 1- 8
    3. Iron Man 1- 8
    4. Avengers 1- 7.5
    5. Civil War- 7.5

6-14. Pretty interchangeable with most just being very enjoyable action movies and nothing more(ratings ranging from 6 to 7)

15. Thor- 5
    16. Captain Marvel- 4.5
    17. Age of Ultron- 4.5
    18. Iron man 2- 4
    19. Ant Man and the Wasp- 3.5
    20. Thor 2 - 3
    21. Incredible Hulk - 3

16. legendkillin Registered

Just coming back from my 2nd viewing, it really is just okay to good for me. Didn't blow me away the 1st time or the 2nd. It can not come close to my top 10, but will stick around 13-15 range where I feel about Dr.Strange, Spider-Man, and Ant-Man/Wasp.

17. Guard82 Registered

Yeah, I've found that the loudest, most unreasonable voices against this movie tended to come from people who transparently had an ax to grind. I found that they could be broadly categorized into at least one of three groups of people who had axes to grind: They were either 1) people who dislike Brie Larson; 2) people who dislike female superheroes; or 3) people who dislike Marvel in general. They're a noisy lot, but their sentiment doesn't accurately reflect the quality of the film at all. Even people who just thought the movie was okay wouldn't react to it in such a relentlessly hostile manner the way these people were doing.

THORin likes this.
  18. Guard82 Registered

I thought the movie was great, and I thought that it had a lot of heart and and a ton of clever and entertaining elements. Brie Larson made Carol Danvers a well-rounded, engaging, sympathetic protagonist who made you want to root for her. The supporting cast was excellent, including Samuel L. Jackson, Ben Mendelsohn, Lashana Lynch, Clark Gregg, and Annette Bening. I really enjoyed the soundtrack, the visuals, and the various '90s nostalgia elements and the various sci-fi/cosmic elements. As a whole, I thought it was a very satisfying film and a great ride, and a worthy addition to the Marvel movie pantheon.

THORin and Naglfar like this.
  19. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

Is it though? The Skrulls have worked well as a dominant race of beings mimicking people and beings to infiltrate their defenses, militarized complexes and governments. "Secret Invasion" worked because it played with "The Thing" scenario of you don't know who you can trust. Sure, "Captain America: Winter Soldier" played with this with who is a Hydra agent and not a Hydra agent but by not having the Skrulls be really who they are in the comics, I felt it was a big let down and honestly it felt like the same kick in the gnads as was Trevor Slattery and Aldrich Killian turning out to be the Mandarin only for Marvel to later, in a one-shot, course correct it due to fan backlash and say a Mandarin does indeed exist somewhere out there in the MCU.

#194 NinjaTurtleFan, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited by moderator flickchick85: Mar 10, 2019
  20. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

Brie Larson's dumbass comments certainly had some play in my lowered score but it ultimately had to do with the fact that the movie didn't work for me as a whole for a variety of reasons:

- Forced humor.

- Tonal shifts.

- A rough and rocky origin story.

- Thin plot.

- Underused and wasted potential with villains and characters.

- Turning the Captain Marvel meets Nick Fury section of the film into a 90s fish out of water/buddy cop film.

- Making Captain Marvel self-important; she acts like she has an attitude or an axe to grind with people.

- The overemphasis that she is a woman and we have to take her seriously because she is a woman superhero.
    I mean the last act of the film where she fights Yon-Rogg's henchmen to the tune of No Doubt's "I'm Just A Girl" felt like I was being browbeaten by the directors. Black Widow never felt like that for me. They never did that stuff with Black Widow. Same with Wonder Woman. But here... they act like no tough badass chicks came before Captain Marvel so that whole action-sequence/moment felt really put-on.

#195 NinjaTurtleFan, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited by moderator flickchick85: Mar 10, 2019
    Broseph44 likes this.
  21. Speed Force Scream

Tag spoilers

THORin likes this.
  22. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Guys, it says right there in the thread title to TAG YOUR SPOILERS. Don't make me start handing out warnings for insubordination, please.

23. Heretic Registered

We don't have to take her seriously because she is a female superhero. Do we take Thor seriously because he's a male? Or Iron Man? Nope. Not intentionally anyway...though I will say that it IS a subconscious issue. The film is addressing that female superheroes have not been taken seriously because they are female...and that we should take them seriously because they are just as heroic and noble and brave as male superheroes. The mere notion that women and people of color can be heroic is such an insult to some people that they wrongfully believe that it is somehow an attack on their own value, but that is simply not the case. "Stop discriminating" is not the same as "Discriminate against the other side now."

Spidey17, Jh7058622 and THORin like this.
  24. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

Did you read the rest of my comment? My whole problem with it is it felt like the filmmakers were trying too hard to make me want to like or force me to like her. I get it. She's a woman. She's a super heroine but when they're playing "I'm Just A Girl" it feels like they're overdoing it. With Black Widow, she did the martial arts and looked sexy and badass and we didn't need much more than that. We didn't need a specific, special song to make us care about her or prove she is who she is. I also felt the Nirvana song was out of place. It just seemed like the movie was trying to be James Gunn... trying to have that cleverness of him but only coming short with it.

25. Heretic Registered

I actually agree that the song was a stupid choice...but what I'm saying is that they aren't saying "like her BECAUSE she's a girl"...they are saying "Stop refusing to respect women who are every bit as capable as the men you respect." There is a difference. Stop feeling so attacked by the concept of equality. Right before they played that song, she embraced her HUMANITY and was proud of being a human. It wasn't that she is female that gave her strength...it was her humanity. Maybe "I'm Only Human" was too 80's for them. I didn't like the choice because it lessened the seriousness of the final battle, not because I felt like it was belittling men.

Shuri, flickchick85 and KRYPTON INC. like this.