• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

The Captain Marvel User Review Thread (TAG SPOILERS!!!)

I actually agree that the song was a stupid choice...but what I'm saying is that they aren't saying "like her BECAUSE she's a girl"...they are saying "Stop refusing to respect women who are every bit as capable as the men you respect." There is a difference. Stop feeling so attacked by the concept of equality. Right before they played that song, she embraced her HUMANITY and was proud of being a human. It wasn't that she is female that gave her strength...it was her humanity. Maybe "I'm Only Human" was too 80's for them. I didn't like the choice because it lessened the seriousness of the final battle, not because I felt like it was belittling men.

But I am not feeling that way. You're just assuming I feel that way. BIG DIFFERENCE.

And for the record, I never said it was "belittling men" for choosing that song. I was just stating that it felt like through the entire movie that she was out to prove something or like someone "man-splained" something to her and so she has this arrogant, smug chip on her shoulder. Granted, yes, we see some flashbacks where she is disrespected by Air Force cadets for being a woman or she can't keep up or she shouldn't do something because she's a girl by her dad but with Yon-Ragg, he just playfully teases her, it's not like he's scrutinizing her based on her gender, and it never felt like it was these characters were anti-women; anti-equality.

Tony Stark ogles Black Widow in "Iron Man 2" and makes a comment to Pepper that he wants a girl like her, but overall Black Widow isn't disrespected in that film as being lesser because of her gender or treated like she doesn't matter. In the "Avengers" films, she is treated as a equal on the team. Although, "Age of Ultron" they had to make her a love interest of Bruce Banner for some odd reason but overall it didn't feel like Marvel was bludgeoning us as fans that you must like her, you must recognize that women are capable of amazing feats as men or she's not a human being.

I just think it was a lot of stretches by the filmmakers.

But hey one guy's opinion versus another. *Shrugs*

Yon-Rogg's bit was that he was intentionally holding her back and manipulating her to keep her under control for the purpose of exploiting her for the greater Kree agenda. She was never going to know her own power being under his command nor would she ever know who she really was if it were up to him.

Here's an experiment... Ask any woman you are related to, mother, sister, aunt, whatever, if this isn't something they recognize as not merely a plot in a movie but lived through in some fashion?

You'll probably be surprised at the answer.

But I am not feeling that way. You're just assuming I feel that way. BIG DIFFERENCE.

And for the record, I never said it was "belittling men" for choosing that song. I was just stating that it felt like through the entire movie that she was out to prove something or like someone "man-splained" something to her and so she has this arrogant, smug chip on her shoulder. Granted, yes, we see some flashbacks where she is disrespected by Air Force cadets for being a woman or she can't keep up or she shouldn't do something because she's a girl by her dad but with Yon-Ragg, he just playfully teases her, it's not like he's scrutinizing her based on her gender, and it never felt like it was these characters were anti-women; anti-equality.

Tony Stark ogles Black Widow in "Iron Man 2" and makes a comment to Pepper that he wants a girl like her, but overall Black Widow isn't disrespected in that film as being lesser because of her gender or treated like she doesn't matter. In the "Avengers" films, she is treated as a equal on the team. Although, "Age of Ultron" they had to make her a love interest of Bruce Banner for some odd reason but overall it didn't feel like Marvel was bludgeoning us as fans that you must like her, you must recognize that women are capable of amazing feats as men or she's not a human being.

I just think it was a lot of stretches by the filmmakers.

But hey one guy's opinion versus another. *Shrugs*

She did have a chip on her shoulder. Because she is a female hero in a world that has never truly respected female heroes. Toy sales for female characters were so bad that companies didnt bother making them for the most part...because boys wouldnt play with them. The books dont sell not because the characters arent great, but because the market wont support them. Comic books were made by white men for white boys...and that became ingrained in our culture. Beyond that...she is a stand-in for every woman who has been belittled on the job...women who work office jobs arent given the credibility of the male coworkers, for instance. Women have traditionally been told to stay in the kitchen...yet restaurants have always discriminated against women as leaders of their kitchens because men were thought of as better than women at the exact thing women were told to stick to. I could probably spend a week going over different ways in which women are disrespected or defined by their looks in our society. Again...the film is saying that it is time to stop that nonsense and start respecting humans for their talents. It's ONE movie about a woman overturning that tradition...and even as a man, I am inspired and moved by that. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be...unless their outlook on the world hinges on the idea that the status quo should stay the same.

And yeah...in Age of Ultron the reduced Black Widow to a woman who is upset about the status of her ability to have children, and turned her into a love interest. It ruined the character in many fans eyes because they just refused to avoid the same old nonsense.

Those comics aren't doing well because fans are not interested in picking up Squirrel Girl comics or America Chavez comics. It has nothing to do with gender or because white guys don't want to read those characters or POC characters. It's more the fact that they aren't really good characters. And then there's characters--- much like Iceman who were retconned to meet or appease a certain group.

Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel (again my opinion) worked best as an ensemble character. She's just not a very compelling character solo and even with the changed origin, she still seems like a mixture of heroes and things we've seen before (Maverick from "Top Gun", Hal Jordan from "Green Lantern", a cocky swagger that we're used to seeing with Starlord, Iron Man and Dr. Strange). The suit, too, has elements of feeling Wonder Woman-esque with its colors and the stars.

And if that was the case that she is a "symbol" of those things then why couldn't Black Widow been that or Scarlet Witch? Why does it have to be her? Why does she have to be a representation of those things? She gets to cut in front of the line? I guess so in Kevin Feige's world.

I guess in the MCU she has to be the all-too powerful New Kid on the Block.

*Shrugs*

Who said anything about her cutting in line? Just because she's in Endgame? So is Black Widow. Because she was the first female lead solo film? Well, Wasp was the co-star of a film less than a year ago and Black Widow is (finally) getting her own film in a little over a year. Scarlet Witch has had great character arcs/subplots in all 3 MCU movies she's appeared in...

She will become the leader of the new MCU it is only a matter of time

Is it though? The Skrulls have worked well as a dominant race of beings mimicking people and beings to infiltrate their defenses, militarized complexes and governments. "Secret Invasion" worked because it played with "The Thing" scenario of you don't know who you can trust. Sure, "Captain America: Winter Soldier" played with this with who is a Hydra agent and not a Hydra agent but by not having the Skrulls be really who they are in the comics, I felt it was a big let down and honestly it felt like the same kick in the gnads as was Trevor Slattery and Aldrich Killian turning out to be the Mandarin only for Marvel to later, in a one-shot, course correct it due to fan backlash and say a Mandarin does indeed exist somewhere out there in the MCU.

Eh, having another secret infiltration on top of Hydra would feel really redundant. It's one thing when redundant things happen in multiple decades worth of comic books, it's another when you're dealing with only about 20 films with less than 3 hours of screen time each.

The Mandarin is the opposite situation since they took what would have been a unique Iron Man villain and replaced him with another rival business guy.

There are some very solid reasons to intensely dislike Infinity War. I've certainly seen that opinion around in various forms.

As a fan, I loved it, and I had a great time seeing it in the theater. But I would have probably given the movie a mixed review if I had been attempting to look it as somebody who was not a particular fan of the MCU in general.

Regarding Captain Marvel...

What struck me as odd about this movie is that its choice to have the character's origin reconstructed over the course of the movie, rather than being presented in a linear way, didn't have the impact that I would have expected.

It's an interesting idea, but I still didn't feel all that differently about this movie as an origin story than I have about a lot of origin stories, like Doctor Strange, for example. At least not on the initial viewing. I will have to keep an eye on this question when I see it again.

I was reminded somewhat of the first Thor movie, because of the starkly contrasting tones. We start out in space, then the character arrives on earth, it feels like a completely different movie, almost like a buddy movie for a while, and then there is the finale back in space. A much more impressive finale than in Thor, but it's a somewhat similar progression.

Anyway, it was a lot of fun, and everybody I saw the movie with seemed to like it even more than I did, which is a good sign.

I feel like trying to critic Infinity War outside the context of the MCU would be a lot like trying to critic Return of the King outside the context of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Its whole point in existing is to be a sequel/continuation of the overarching story, and has no existence or purpose outside of that. If the theoretical critic thinks that such things shouldn't be done. . . I suppose? Its an axiomatic difference, there's not really much that can be said.

As for Captain Marvel. . .

I broadly agree. It felt a lot like a cross between the first Thor movie and the first Ant-Man movie, to me. I can see what they were going for with the non-linear plot, but it was too clever by half. They just didn't have the writing/directing chops to really do the non-linear plot while also delivering a clearly characterized and realized Carol Danvers. You can understand intellectually who she is supposed to be, but you don't feel emotionally that she is that, not fully and properly.

In retrospect, I think it would have been better if they just did a traditional linear origin story. Save the non-linear mindwarping stuff for a sequel. Yes, I realize this would require a complete concept-level revamp of the script. Sometimes that happens.

I feel like trying to critic Infinity War outside the context of the MCU would be a lot like trying to critic Return of the King outside the context of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Well, I meant not looking at it as a fan, rather than not looking at it as part of the extended universe. That's not quite the same thing. Yes, I have to consider the Return of the King as part of the overall story, but I don't have to look at it as a fan of the material in particular. I can look at it with a more skeptical eye, and some people did that with Infinity War.

Last edited:
Those comics aren't doing well because fans are not interested in picking up Squirrel Girl comics or America Chavez comics. It has nothing to do with gender or because white guys don't want to read those characters or POC characters. It's more the fact that they aren't really good characters. And then there's characters--- much like Iceman who were retconned to meet or appease a certain group.

Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel (again my opinion) worked best as an ensemble character. She's just not a very compelling character solo and even with the changed origin, she still seems like a mixture of heroes and things we've seen before (Maverick from "Top Gun", Hal Jordan from "Green Lantern", a cocky swagger that we're used to seeing with Starlord, Iron Man and Dr. Strange). The suit, too, has elements of feeling Wonder Woman-esque with its colors and the stars.

And if that was the case that she is a "symbol" of those things then why couldn't Black Widow been that or Scarlet Witch? Why does it have to be her? Why does she have to be a representation of those things? She gets to cut in front of the line? I guess so in Kevin Feige's world.

I guess in the MCU she has to be the all-too powerful New Kid on the Block.

*Shrugs*

I'm not talking about RECENT comics...I'm talking about the entire history of superhero comics. Nice try though. That's the point...this crap has been going on FOREVER. ONE movie addresses it and shows that women can be as noble and brave and heroic as a man and guys are upset about it. So fragile is the male ego sometimes.

There is no "line" of which characters get movies. Marvel believed that Captain Marvel would be an interesting and fun part of the MCU. It's not Scarlet Witch or Black Widow because that's not the (presentation of those) characters that have been created in the MCU.

A hero being powerful is not a problem.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the movie but I must admit that I didn't think I could have had a better theater experience after opening weekend for IW. This topped it. The ovation that Stan Lee's tribute got and my wife's face during the 3rd act really made my viewing something special.

I'm not talking about RECENT comics...I'm talking about the entire history of superhero comics. Nice try though. That's the point...this crap has been going on FOREVER. ONE movie addresses it and shows that women can be as noble and brave and heroic as a man and guys are upset about it. So fragile is the male ego sometimes.

There is no "line" of which characters get movies. Marvel believed that Captain Marvel would be an interesting and fun part of the MCU. It's not Scarlet Witch of Black Widow because that's not the characters that have been created in the MCU.

A hero being powerful is not a problem.

LOL. Oh ok. Typical. I have some sort of fragility because I am asking simple questions or pointing out flaws with the film. *Rolls eyes*

No guy-- at least myself--- was upset about Black Widow, Wonder Woman or let's take characters outside of comic book superhero lore, Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor for being noble, brave and heroic. This is also not due to their gender. It's the fact that, with a person like Brie Larson and her anti-male bashing comments or this stuck up attitude with her character or the fact that the movie has to make and go great lengths to make people feel like she deserves our respect is the problem. The characters I mentioned there, in their individual movies, didn't need a song to tell us "Yeah, she's just a girl but guess what she can kick just as much as the fellas." It didn't need characters having this "I'm better than you"-vibe to it. Those characters were just those things or eventually, through time and duration of the film, slowly discovered the hero inside of them versus having it blatantly spelled out to us.

Heck, look at a character like Rey in the new "Star Wars" movies. I, myself, don't understand the fanboy hate towards her or fanboys calling her a Mary Sue, but I can sort of understand the legitimacy of that categorization when it comes to Captain Marvel. At least Rey is and was trained. At least Rey had a connection to the Force which made her do things or remember things or wielding a lightsaber felt familiar.
Carol everything she owes is by pure accident and then everything she is is because of a lie.

For the majority of the movie, Carol seems like she can do all and be all. She gets knocked down, sure, but she doesn't really go through serious pain and she always has her powers as backup. I would've loved to seen an actual fight between her and Yon-Rogg where she didn't resort to last minute using her powers. I felt that ending was misguided between her and him.

I think that's why people have commented on finding the film boring because it never feels like she's in immediate danger or her life is truly threatened. She's almost this Superman-being where she's all-too powerful. And yet again, all these characters react like, "Omg... we can't believe she is so powerful."

There's even stupid moments for example in the underground base where Fury wastes his time getting a print onto a piece of tape and all she has to do is blast the handle off the doors with her photon fists. He then later, in the library, makes a comment like he can't believe she can do that when he saw her do that prior in the bar and even earlier than that with the hole inside the Blockbuster Video.

Fury acts rather out of character then what we're use to seeing him as and is portrayed as absent-minded and dorky around her. Talos is treated as a comedic character versus a threat. Jude Law's Yon-Ragg and Annette Benning's Captain Mar-vell/Wendy Lawson/Supreme Intelligence are never treated as serious threats. Ronan the Accuser is a blink-and-you'll-miss-him adversary but there for a quick forced comedic moment. All of these characters either don't act bright or are made to be that way because there's so much put in to make Larson's Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel to be the smartest, strongest and fastest woman in the room. Fine if that's how they want to play this but a similar thing was done with "Black Panther" in which Martin Freeman's character was played as sort of this bumbling, buffoonish white male. Now, is that purposeful? Intentional? It certainly felt that way with his reactions and dialogue with Shuri.

The point I'm trying to make is I think more could've been done to maybe (again my opinion) show why should I care about this character or why do I feel she needed a film deservingly? Sure, her presence was setup in "Infinity War" but she could've easily been a role in "Endgame" where she didn't need her own movie. So, yeah I do feel like she jumped the line so to speak because now Marvel Studios is realizing they could make a solo Black Widow film when Black Widow--- especially Scarlet Johanson has bided her time; she's had an arc where fans could get introduced and acquainted to the character and now with a standalone solo movie, we care about where she goes in that film.

I can't really say, as a fan of the MCU as a whole I'm excited about where Captain Marvel goes from here but more, with her supposed trilogy being prequels and explanations as to how Ronan and Korath came to be (which I felt were brutally underdeveloped and used in this) later in "Guardians of the Galaxy" and leading up to 2008 of the first "Iron Man" film. I guess I'm having a hard time wondering why I need to get onboard with this character as the new flagship--- new face of the MCU that might be the torch carrier of it moving forward when there were two perfectly good female characters already in the wing that could've got their own solo movies and maybe, just maybe, had done even better with the critics and fans if they had been green lit: SCARLET WITCH and BLACK WIDOW.

But Captain Marvel, as I said before, felt like she cut the line and they had to do all this build-up to make her something that I and others should care about. Some of you thought it was a good movie and you're more than okay to think that, but I felt very dispassionate about the film. It didn't have that same vibe or connection I had with say the Guardians movies, the Captain America films or the Ant-Man movies. It just felt like it was trying to ride James Gunn and Taika Waititi's coattails with a character that I guess, overall, I was hoping this movie would maybe make me care about but I ended up not caring for.

Don't get me wrong, the Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel from the animated "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" I like. I even like the old black domino mask and black leotard old school Ms. Marvel. This new one though--- especially played by Brie Larson just feels like she is forcing you to like her or have to respect her. She snips at people. She sasses people. She comes off genuinely as an impulsive, cocky, and sour person with little sprinkles of liveliness but overall dull and robotic. There was only one brief moment where I started to like her and that was when she was in the cockpit of the big, hulking plane that she somehow magically could fly and she and Fury were joking around. That I felt like I could maybe like and care about her, but that short little moment or her and Maria and Monica Rambeau are the only moments where I thought there was some life and humanity to her. Otherwise, I just never felt an investment or connection to her. And I feel like I can't be the only one who feels that way on here but maybe I am wrong?

*Shrugs*

Oh lord... The irony of someone calling another a snowflake then going off in a huff because they get offended by a post on a forum.

Can Captain Marvel remember her past,ally herself with Nick Fury,and give the audience a great origin story?

PRAISE:
Brie Larson as Vers / Carol Danvers / Captain Marvel is not as dry and distant as she was in the trailers.She actually infuses life into the character here and there in the film.
Ben Mendelsohn as the Skrull Talos was quite amusing and turns in a good performance.
Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury was good and had good chemistry with Larson.

There are some good moments between Larson and Lashana Lynch as Maria Rambeau and daughter Monica portrayed by Akira Akbar.
Some good mid 90's nostalgia throughout the film.
Goose the cat steals several scenes.
The SFX and action sequences were done well for the most part.
I liked that we get a further peek into the Marvel Cosmic Universe.

PROBLEMS: I felt like Jude Law and Annette Benning were sidelined for most of the movie.The movie is trying to do a lot of things.An origin story,explanation of the war between the Kree and the Skrulls,and a semi fish out of water story,which made the film drag in some spots.
I knew some SJW moments would be in the film because well look at how the film was marketed.I still felt like i was being hit over the head with it at times.
I was not on board for the changes to Marvel canon,and the twist that lead to some unintentional laughable scenes.
The film misses a few oppurtunities to be epic but it loses it's focus at times and some things are written off as a joke.I actually through my hands up and rolled at my eyes at how some things played out.
Kevin Feige wasnt lying when he said Captain Marvel would be the starting point of everything...GEEZ !!

I would say Captain Marvel is above Iron Man 3 and Thor The Dark World not great but OK.

Scale of 1-10 a 6½

SIDENOTE: I really dislike that some critics are adding to their reviews:To bad if you dont like to see women as the leads in films.
That's not a fact! People just want to see good to great movies they spend their hard earned money on!

LOL. Oh ok. Typical. I have some sort of fragility because I am asking simple questions or pointing out flaws with the film. *Rolls eyes*

No guy-- at least myself--- was upset about Black Widow, Wonder Woman or let's take characters outside of comic book superhero lore, Ellen Ripley or Sarah Connor for being noble, brave and heroic. This is also not due to their gender. It's the fact that, with a person like Brie Larson and her anti-male bashing comments or this stuck up attitude with her character or the fact that the movie has to make and go great lengths to make people feel like she deserves our respect is the problem. The characters I mentioned there, in their individual movies, didn't need a song to tell us "Yeah, she's just a girl but guess what she can kick just as much as the fellas." It didn't need characters having this "I'm better than you"-vibe to it. Those characters were just those things or eventually, through time and duration of the film, slowly discovered the hero inside of them versus having it blatantly spelled out to us.

Heck, look at a character like Rey in the new "Star Wars" movies. I, myself, don't understand the fanboy hate towards her or fanboys calling her a Mary Sue, but I can sort of understand the legitimacy of that categorization when it comes to Captain Marvel. At least Rey is and was trained. At least Rey had a connection to the Force which made her do things or remember things or wielding a lightsaber felt familiar.
Carol everything she owes is by pure accident and then everything she is is because of a lie.

For the majority of the movie, Carol seems like she can do all and be all. She gets knocked down, sure, but she doesn't really go through serious pain and she always has her powers as backup. I would've loved to seen an actual fight between her and Yon-Rogg where she didn't resort to last minute using her powers. I felt that ending was misguided between her and him.

I think that's why people have commented on finding the film boring because it never feels like she's in immediate danger or her life is truly threatened. She's almost this Superman-being where she's all-too powerful. And yet again, all these characters react like, "Omg... we can't believe she is so powerful."

There's even stupid moments for example in the underground base where Fury wastes his time getting a print onto a piece of tape and all she has to do is blast the handle off the doors with her photon fists. He then later, in the library, makes a comment like he can't believe she can do that when he saw her do that prior in the bar and even earlier than that with the hole inside the Blockbuster Video.

Fury acts rather out of character then what we're use to seeing him as and is portrayed as absent-minded and dorky around her. Talos is treated as a comedic character versus a threat. Jude Law's Yon-Ragg and Annette Benning's Captain Mar-vell/Wendy Lawson/Supreme Intelligence are never treated as serious threats. Ronan the Accuser is a blink-and-you'll-miss-him adversary but there for a quick forced comedic moment. All of these characters either don't act bright or are made to be that way because there's so much put in to make Larson's Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel to be the smartest, strongest and fastest woman in the room. Fine if that's how they want to play this but a similar thing was done with "Black Panther" in which Martin Freeman's character was played as sort of this bumbling, buffoonish white male. Now, is that purposeful? Intentional? It certainly felt that way with his reactions and dialogue with Shuri.

The point I'm trying to make is I think more could've been done to maybe (again my opinion) show why should I care about this character or why do I feel she needed a film deservingly? Sure, her presence was setup in "Infinity War" but she could've easily been a role in "Endgame" where she didn't need her own movie. So, yeah I do feel like she jumped the line so to speak because now Marvel Studios is realizing they could make a solo Black Widow film when Black Widow--- especially Scarlet Johanson has bided her time; she's had an arc where fans could get introduced and acquainted to the character and now with a standalone solo movie, we care about where she goes in that film.

I can't really say, as a fan of the MCU as a whole I'm excited about where Captain Marvel goes from here but more, with her supposed trilogy being prequels and explanations as to how Ronan and Korath came to be (which I felt were brutally underdeveloped and used in this) later in "Guardians of the Galaxy" and leading up to 2008 of the first "Iron Man" film. I guess I'm having a hard time wondering why I need to get onboard with this character as the new flagship--- new face of the MCU that might be the torch carrier of it moving forward when there were two perfectly good female characters already in the wing that could've got their own solo movies and maybe, just maybe, had done even better with the critics and fans if they had been green lit: SCARLET WITCH and BLACK WIDOW.

But Captain Marvel, as I said before, felt like she cut the line and they had to do all this build-up to make her something that I and others should care about. Some of you thought it was a good movie and you're more than okay to think that, but I felt very dispassionate about the film. It didn't have that same vibe or connection I had with say the Guardians movies, the Captain America films or the Ant-Man movies. It just felt like it was trying to ride James Gunn and Taika Waititi's coattails with a character that I guess, overall, I was hoping this movie would maybe make me care about but I ended up not caring for.

Don't get me wrong, the Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel from the animated "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes" I like. I even like the old black domino mask and black leotard old school Ms. Marvel. This new one though--- especially played by Brie Larson just feels like she is forcing you to like her or have to respect her. She snips at people. She sasses people. She comes off genuinely as an impulsive, cocky, and sour person with little sprinkles of liveliness but overall dull and robotic. There was only one brief moment where I started to like her and that was when she was in the cockpit of the big, hulking plane that she somehow magically could fly and she and Fury were joking around. That I felt like I could maybe like and care about her, but that short little moment or her and Maria and Monica Rambeau are the only moments where I thought there was some life and humanity to her. Otherwise, I just never felt an investment or connection to her. And I feel like I can't be the only one who feels that way on here but maybe I am wrong?

*Shrugs*

Wait, Rey had training? And Carol didn't? I'm confused. Rey has barely any training, and everything she knows she magically taught herself. Carol was not only trained in the military but the movie also opens with her being trained and getting her butt kicked during a training exercise. Carol's power also makes sense, as we're given an explanation for where she got it from, whereas Rey is just randomly powerful for plot convenience.

Also I'm not sure how people are interpreting that Carol has a bad attitude. She sasses Fury a couple times, sure, but way less than Iron Man or Spider-man are known to sass people. And it's more like Spider-man's playful sassery and less like Iron Man's "legitimately being an *******" sassery.

Speaking of which, can you just imagine how much people would hate Tony Stark if he was a woman behaving the way he does?

Last edited:

I wish I could take off the spoiler in your response, because it shows you totally missed the point of her line "I don't have to prove anything to you". I didn't care much for the movie, but that's to do with the choices of the director and writing not because she has to prove she's worthy of a movie.

Last edited:
Guys, keep it civil.

Thank you

Here's my review, guys. In it, I explain how I think Captain Marvel conveys the ideals of woman empowerment without being offensive and what I think of the movie overall.

Captain Marvel Review.

NOTE: There are minor spoilers in the video review.

Last edited:
Very middle of the road movie nothing spectacular but ok wish I enjoyed it better but I just didn't buy Larson in the character I love the actress but something about her voice just doesn't work for me but enjoyed the chemistry with Jackson and :nuhu: on how he got an eye patch no need to shoe horn that in there if they didn't have a better way

Mendelsen was great love this guy

Goose the cat was ok at first but then he got annoying

wished we would have gotten a legit Origin story instead of the jumping around different times of Carol life but oh well she's introduced now lets get to the end game

6.5/10

Very middle of the road movie nothing spectacular but ok wish I enjoyed it better but I just didn't buy Larson in the character I love the actress but something about her voice just doesn't work for me but enjoyed the chemistry with Jackson and :nuhu: on how he got an eye patch no need to shoe horn that in there if they didn't have a better way

Mendelsen was great love this guy

Goose the cat was ok at first but then he got annoying

wished we would have gotten a legit Origin story instead of the jumping around different times of Carol life but oh well she's introduced now lets get to the end game

6.5/10

I think that we did get an origin story. The movie shows how she becomes a super-powered being and implies that she learned how to control her powers (in a controlled state) via training that she received while a member of the Star Force. It then shows us how she learns how to control her powers in their unrestricted state. It then tells us about the personal connections and the personal struggles that serve as the foundation of her character. So, I don't see what the issue is. I don't think that a by-the-numbers, chronologically told origin story would be accepted by general audiences nowadays; there have been too many of them.

yeah but I wish we would have gotten that movie instead I love origin movies too bad they are frowned upon now

OK, So
Not much to really add I suppose, everybody's been over it pretty well

Pros:
-Brie Larson was charming and fun and I can't wait to see what the Russos do with her
-Supporting cast was all great
-Her chemistry with Jackson, Law and Lynch were all fantastic
-The Skrulls are a great addition to the universe, can't wait to see more from them
-Effects looked really cool, and her costume is one of the best they've made
-Politics were extremely minimal, less on-the-nose than Wonder Woman
-That Stan tribute tho

Cons:
-Slow first half
-Cringe-worthy, obvious musical selections
-Anti-climactic resolution, would've liked to have seen more in the final battle
-Prequel-itis: showing things that didn't need to be shown from a characters background ie. "Avenger", the eye
-Generic feel to it, movie-by-committee

So yeah, I dug it a good bit, but it definitely felt like the most "Made by Marvel" movie they have put out, like, Feige might as well take the director credit. Any flaws I could point out would probably be corrected by directors with a stronger vision for what the film should be, and who Carol should be. The ending all felt a bit easy, and I can't wait to see the Russos put her through the ringer and have her come out the other side even better, just like they've done for Cap, Strange, and others.

Ps. Unrelated, but something I have to put out there, and I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion:
F**K POPCORN! Whoever decided popcorn should be the go-to movie snack is AN A**HOLE WHO SHOULD BE SHOT INTO THE COLD VACUUM OF SPACE!!... Seriously though, my last 4 Marvel movies have been ruined by creeps chewing with their goddamn mouths open. The center of this movie, the quiet moments when all the reveals are being...um, revealed... All I could hear was **chompchompchomp**mouthbreathing***chompchompchomp** Like have a little m'fing courtesy to those around you and eat with your m'fing mouth shut!! Or better yet, get any other snack that isn't so GODDAMNED LOUD!!

Sorry, Rant over.

Oh, some kid spilled popcorn all over the row behind me and it came all up under our seats. Fun.

Popcorn is amazing!

Smell? Taste? Sure. Delicious. Eat it at home when watching Netflix, that's perfectly fine

but at the theater it's stale, reused crap which a bunch of pimply teenagers hands have dug through, it's noisy AF, and it gets left on the floor where it gets ground into a sticky mess

Hell, if people could just chew it with their mouths closed I wouldn't care, but apparently that's above some people's mental capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"