The Cobra Commander

The whole KKK thing to me is ridiculous, but I guess in today's world there would be some DA that would try to make a connection of it.

But at least if you aren't going to use the hood use the faceplate from the cartoon, which is very cool and something that hasn't really been done with a villain in film that I recall.

Hopefully the changes will be cool and close enough to his counterparts to please

the face plates better than the hood anyway.

I've always preferred the hood, though why I've never been entirely certain. However, regarding the KKK connections, I can sort of see where they are coming from. That said, what I don't see is the hangup about using it. As I'm not American, I might be missing something but wasn't the KKK getup used in its entirety in Bad Boys 2? Plus, wouldn't making Cobra Commander less likable and a tad bit more offensive be a good thing? I mean, he's the main villain after all.

They probably want to avoid controversy. I think they're also gonna be targeting a kid audience a lil too.

The faceplate is cool, and always thought the hood was kind of lame. Still, we've had hooded Cobra Commander action figures out on children's toy shelves for years and years, including now, and nobody's raised a fuss.

I hope we get something like this.

cobra_commander3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To quote JGL in his article from IGN:

Gordon-Levitt said fans shouldn't expect the character's voice or costume to be exactly like the comics or cartoon versions. "I think it maintains the spirit of it and all the fun, but it brings the character into three dimensions," he said. "It wouldn't look good if you did an exact replica of the cartoon. You wouldn't want me wearing a skin-tight bright-blue dictator's uniform. It would look silly."

http://movies.ign.com/articles/909/909139p1.html

I don't know why anyone would actually expect the costume to look anything like the cartoon or comics. The only costume in this entire movie that remotely resembles the comics is Snake Eyes, and maybe Baroness. Out of the whole cast?? Why would you think CC would be any different, especially when all the interviews are saying how "different" he looks?

The classic CC uni is realistic enough. It's just a blue German officer's uniform with a hood on his head.

Wermacht-General.jpg

I don't see how that's any sillier than those suits they've got the Joes wearing. But whatever. They wanna change it, fine. I'm not really mad about the change, but don't say it's because the costume is unrealistic. However, somthing tells me I will disappointed in what they change him to, with them emphasizing CC turning into a "creature."

Last edited:
I've read the Stuart Beattie Final Script and Cobra Commander will not dissapoint trust me... This movie if its filmed right should really be something special...

Special as in "takes the short bus to school" special.

I've read the Stuart Beattie Final Script and Cobra Commander will not dissapoint trust me... This movie if its filmed right should really be something special...

It being helmed by Stephen "Van Helsing" Sommers. I think we can give up hope now that it's going to be "filmed right."

Care to share what you know? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSEEEEE

No hood or face shield = :down

I was hoping we'd get both, but it turns out we're getting niether all because someone though the hood was too KKK-esque, and they apparently want as little to do with the cartoon as possible so that means no helmet. The KKK wears pointed, phallic hoods. Cobra Commander's hood is smooth and rounded off, closely fitting to the shape of his head. I don't get why peole have to get all politically correct over stuff so trivial-- but then again, "politically correct" has been the theme of this entire production, which sometimes makes me wonder why they even wanted to make a GI Joe movie in the first place.

...which sometimes makes me wonder why they even wanted to make a GI Joe movie in the first place.

Because they know that the GI Joe name, coupled with decent marketing, could allow them to turn a profit, regardless of the film's quality.

He doesn’t wear anything that would symbolize him as the COBRA COMMANDER WE KNOW.... He wears a face mask to cover up his scarred face which also gives him oxygen.... The last time you see him in the movie.. He tells Destro to call him COMMANDER... Destro then says, "Yes, Commander"... Destro does this also because he is now being controlled by the nano-mites which actually seem really cool....

Also, "THE DOCTOR" aka Cobra Commander's lines in the movie if they are st8 out of the script are really well written and remind me a lot of the way he talks in the cartoon. Like he says " AND FROM NOW ON I'll BE ON A FIRST NAME BASIS WITH YOU, DESTRO "

But he will not be in any uniform until the second one... This movie ends basically with what its called THE RISE OF COBRA, how the movie ends you will understand that Cobra Commander has the world by the balls....

Zartan isnt in the script a lot, but by the end plays a MAJOR role....

This movie seems like it's going to turn out like the Street Fighter movie. Cobra Commander with no raspy voice = lame.

The studios are afraid to take chances. The excuses they give in interviews are bull. Kids and adults watched the cartoons, and I never heard one complaint about Cobra Commander's hood from anyone. So I don't know why they can't use it. The hood and face plate are trademarks of his. Terrorists nowadays wear hoods, and Cobra Commander is a terrorist who wears a hood. The whole KKK thing is an excuse not to use the hood because of politics, that's all. The KKK has nothing to do with it. Politics are always involved when it comes to Military films, or movies of the like.

It worries me that they say he doesn't wear anything that would symbolize him as the Cobra Commander we know. I really didn't want to hear that. It makes me wonder why even bother making a 'JOE' film, if the characters are unrecognizable as the JOES we know. I mean Ripcord's a black guy now, Breaker looks Arab, and no face plate or hood for Cobra Commander. Anybody else worried?

Definitely worried. But Hasbro is all behind this. They want to update the property to appeal to younger kids, not pander to the RAH fans they already have in pocket. And it's not like it's the first time (Sigma 6). All I can hope at this point is that the movie will be true to G.I. Joe in spirit and tone if not in its storyline details.

No faceplate and no hood. From the sound of the story and wardrobe changes, they are trying to reinvent the character completely. Wonderfull. We should just take GI-JOE out of the title here and name it something different. That way, when it flops, it wont bring the entire franchise down with it.

Just because someone above says Cobra Commander does not wear his "faceplate" does not make it so. Give it a chance, and remember it's an origin story - I think by the end you will be happier with most characters than you think.

Just because someone above says Cobra Commander does not wear his "faceplate" does not make it so. Give it a chance, and remember it's an origin story - I think by the end you will be happier with most characters than you think.

If the first time we saw Darth Vader was when he was a whiny little kid like the one in Phantom of Menace, I doubt he'd be as popular or as iconic as he is today. CC with no hood or faceplate is a stupid, stupid decision. But then again, I guess they know that they have a crappy movie on their hands, that's why we haven't had even a sneak trailer, only a few promo shots of the movie.

i'm certain that CC is wearing a mask of some sort.

Yeah. He'll wear a mask. Someone said it'll be sort of a breathing mask or something like that.

Levitt said in an interview, he's seen what CC will look like, and he said he looked cool. So have faith my friends.

I would just like to see some concept art at least to get an idea of what they plan on having him look like.

After hearing about what he may be like in this movie, prior to becoming cobra commander....I can't help but think of Dr. Satan......

Dr_Satan.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"