The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Eh. He felt nothing more than a caricature in the Whedon version imo, and while I don't like how little he was featured in ZSJL nor the continuing Knightmare foreshadowing, I felt his scenes in the farm were more genuinely warm by comparison.
You mean that scene where his mother could very well have been Martian Manhunter? :oldrazz:

The 2017 movie was absolute garbage but the Superman scenes were probably the one thing it did better than Snyder. The character himself was more hopeful and warm, he wasn't a depressing sulking bore. Even Cavill liked him more in that version.

You mean that scene where his mother could very well have been Martian Manhunter? :oldrazz:

The 2017 movie was absolute garbage but the Superman scenes were probably the one thing it did better than Snyder. The character himself was more hopeful and warm, he wasn't a depressing sulking bore. Even Cavill liked him more in that version.
But they fixed their mistakes in the Snyder Cut 4 hour version

I’m not the biggest fan of the dying-then-resurrected hero trope. But if you’re going to go that dark route (inspired by the celebrated “Death of Superman” storyline), then you commit to the premise. Thus, there’s not a lot of room for lightheartedness or feel-good moments.

Superman in Josstice League is nothing special but its by far the best Cavill ever was in the role and he's written perfectly fine. It's actually fascinating how the rest of the cast is super bad in Josstice League and then... well they're also awful in ZSJL but a different kind of awful. Cavill, though, is his classic 5/10 nothing burger Superman performance in ZSJL where he's almost totally flat whereas in Josstice League he actually looks like he's on the same page as the material he was given for once. You can tell he's the Snyder cast member who never really drank Zack's kool aid.

I like Cavill quite a bit, I don't hate him as Superman, but Josstice League is the only thing that made a compelling argument that he probably could have been a reasonably effective Superman in another timeline.

Posting a rugby player every day until the suit reveal Day 8:

C39I2603.jpg

Ironically Superman himself was much better in the theatrical version than in Snyder's. The character hit rock bottom with all three of his films.
I actually liked Henry Cavill in the role; he did a very good job. Amy Adams was iff-ish, and Laurence Fishburne was a cool Perry White. Michael Shannon made for a good Zod, but I don't like him otherwise. As for Jesse Eisenberg, I hated his take on Lex. He was too young, the attitude was wrong...he just came off as an extremely spoiled brat.

I think A few directors could have made Cavill work but I won't miss him.

I like Amy Adams a lot but her Lois just didn't appeal to me, her and Cavill also didn't seem to like each other very much.

I thought Eisenberg was interesting just because I enjoy him as a quirky character actor and can almost see how him and Hoult do the same kinda comedy but Hoult also plays serious and "off" very well which is something Eisenberg has lacked in his career.

I think all three are far and away obvious improvements and I can't see how anyone could disagree on paper at least.

You're well aware it wasn't meant to be the finale considering Snyder had two more movies planned after it and the plot details have been out there for a while. :oldrazz:
You can believe what you want...Snyder had zero plans for Superman he proved it.

It sucks so bad. Though one of the only ideas I like in both cuts is that I think Superman just comically easily defeating Steppenwolf when he comes back is really funny and awesome.

On that note, am I the only one who thinks Steppenwolf is a crappy villain in BOTH versions? I remember seeing all these comments about how much better he was in ZSJL and I just didn’t get it. Yeah, his motivations were fleshed out a bit more but aside from his little sad puppy dog eyes scene with Darkseid, he just comes off like every other generic, world-conquering villain I’ve ever seen. Also, his look wasn’t some drastic improvement. He went from looking like a grow-in-water action figure in Jossice League to some sort of weird, chrome Michael Bay Transformer.

On that note, am I the only one who thinks Steppenwolf is a crappy villain in BOTH versions? I remember seeing all these comments about how much better he was in ZSJL and I just didn’t get it. Yeah, his motivations were fleshed out a bit more but aside from his little sad puppy dog eyes scene with Darkseid, he just comes off like every other generic, world-conquering villain I’ve ever seen. Also, his look wasn’t some drastic improvement. He went from looking like a grow-in-water action figure in Jossice League to some sort of weird, chrome Michael Bay Transformer.
He sucks and I genuinely cannot believe of all the Fourth World characters they chose him. The scene with Desaad is, admittedly, one of the only ZSJL scenes I like though.

He sucks and I genuinely cannot believe of all the Fourth World characters they chose him. The scene with Desaad is, admittedly, one of the only ZSJL scenes I like though.
With Darkseid they could have had the Thanos of the DCEU but they messed that up royally

If they needed a New God to be a punching bag for Justice League, Kalibak would have been a better choice. He at least has a bit more personality than Steppenwolf.

Okay, confession time - I have never been able to make it through ZSJL. I have tried 3 times, and each time got so bored I fell asleep. In the end, I just gave up.

Josstice League is therefore by default my preferred version. I've watched it multiple times without falling asleep 🤷‍♀️

If they needed a New God to be a punching bag for Justice League, Kalibak would have been a better choice. He at least has a bit more personality than Steppenwolf.
New Gods what's that? Are they like The Eternals? :o

No not saying the ZSJL one was better or anything but thr Whedon one felt like a Marvel
Quipster

Eh. He felt nothing more than a caricature in the Whedon version imo, and while I don't like how little he was featured in ZSJL nor the continuing Knightmare foreshadowing, I felt his scenes in the farm were more genuinely warm by comparison.
The Kent farm scene, complete with the great “you smell nice” dialogue.

Okay, confession time - I have never been able to make it through ZSJL. I have tried 3 times, and each time got so bored I fell asleep. In the end, I just gave up.

Josstice League is therefore by default my preferred version. I've watched it multiple times without falling asleep 🤷‍♀️
You’ve made more effort than I, and I applaud you for it. I’ve seen several clips of ZSJL, and they were enough to tell me it definitely wouldn’t have changed my mind on anything Zack did. And that Josstice League was without a doubt Henry’s best outing as Supes. Which is why I’m glad we have a new Supes. :hehe:

With Darkseid they could have had the Thanos of the DCEU but they messed that up royally
Darkseid is 1000 times more interesting than Thanos. But they wanted to copy Marvel so they dumbed the Fourth World down and stripped it of everything that makes them one of the best and brightest areas of any comics universe

But no, Snyder, WB, and short sighted fans just want Marvel 2.0 and so they think “what’s closest to what Marvel did?” And then plugged and played a stripped down version of a couple of New Gods characters. Seriously, these people need to actually read the Kirby Fourth World stuff.

But it is these attitudes of the studios and fans that want to make DC follow a Marvel path and Darkseid to be Thanos that really drive me nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"