The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I'll be extremely dissapointed if they aren't in any capacity.

Even if they are both dead, to not include even one memory of them, would feel like cutting a huge part of Clark Kent as a character out of the story.
I want them both in and very much alive. Clark’s scenes with his parents giving a bit of advice back in Smallville in various media feel like the safe rooms in Resident Evil, a welcome peaceful place for a brief moment outside of all the chaos going on. I love the dynamic between them and I don’t get that from most other superhero stories so I’m always going to prefer having them in.

I watched ZSJL once...and I was super pumped for it. Even getting super high I fell asleep halfway through. Watched the second half the next day and at the end that was when I honestly turned on the entire thing. Until then I really loved MOS and enjoyed the extended cut of BvS...but ZSJL killed all of it. I honestly can't even fathom watching any of them every again...
Well... fair enough.

Quite obviously, BvS is an unabashed deconstruction of the two main characters. And for this reason, the film remains controversial. Whereas, ZSJL has a more mainstream and orthodox sensibility — a re-construction, as it were. So it’s interesting that you liked the former (the challenging one) and got turned off by the latter (the more conventional one).

Why haven't you given the Whedon cut a go? My memory is shaky on this as its been years, but I remember at the time discovering that a lot of my favourite scenes in the film weren't in ZSJL... so id say its worth a watch!
Perhaps, one day, I will. I intended to check it out back in 2017. But as the release date approached, it became clear that Whedon wasn’t brought on to help finish an almost-completed movie; he was hired to change it. (For me, the studio mandated two-hour runtime was a big red flag. Why a bigshot like Whedon would ever agree to such a constraint remains a puzzle.) Then I began to think I’d just wait for the director’s cut. At the time, of course, there was no earthly reason to believe there’d ever be a director’s cut. But four years later… :cwink:

That's the thing about films in general is getting the pacing right. I can literally put the matrix on and be engaged the whole way through that before I know it.. it's the end.

I have been watching movies and tv series forever and what I'm sick of is films/tv that doesn't stand alone.

If this Superman movie fails as a franchise I still want it to be able be its own film from beginning to end and that doesn't mean Lex ends up in prison, Lex is as valuable as Lois and the Kent's.

Well... fair enough.

Quite obviously, BvS is an unabashed deconstruction of the two main characters. And for this reason, the film remains controversial. Whereas, ZSJL has a more mainstream and orthodox sensibility — a re-construction, as it were. So it’s interesting that you liked the former (the challenging one) and got turned off by the latter (the more conventional one).

BvS was trying to be something different and much like MOS with a better director or even a better editor could have been something very special. There is a good story in there Snyder just isn't good enough to tell it. A fallen Batman could be an interesting story...but you don't make a Dark Superman to fight a Fallen Batman you need a Boy Scout Superman for that. But Snyder thinks Superman would rise rise above like a God which is just hogwash. Superman and Batman are 2 sides of a coin...yin and yang. A better storyteller gets that. (a better storyteller also kills Superman when people actually like Superman and the death will hurt...not in a sequel in which the world is divided on him)

ZSJL is none of that. It is just Snyder dialing up every criticism of him to 11 and taking out anything charming or heroic from most of the characters in it. It also showed he had basically lied to the fans going back to MOS. Every movie was supposed to be "This is where Superman becomes the Superman you love!" and it just never happens. He is basically just a Deus Ex Machina in this film like he often was in early Justice League stories only back then it was because Superman was too powerful...here it is because Snyder so under-developed him he didn't matter anyways...until as luck would have it the New Gods show up and Batman then needs to revive him. We were told the death meant something, it didn't. He has no fundamental understanding of why the Justice League works, why the New Gods are beyond anything we have seen in film or why people who are sycophants want to watch films. ZSJL is just him trying to make a film of fistbumps and "oooh look its [X] like in the comics!" with none of the context, nuance, back story...etc. A Fourth World Epic is not Harry Potter Book 7 you can't just tell it in 5 hours. One long ADR session is not enough to do any of that justice but hey it looked cool.

Couple that with the fact that the characterizations of say Aquaman and Wonder Woman were much better handled by Wan and Jenkins and you realize that Snyder is the common denominator. When Aquaman makes a billion dollars with a rather mediocre script and generic story beats but Superman struggles to be successful...that tells ya something.

That's the thing about films in general is getting the pacing right. I can literally put the matrix on and be engaged the whole way through that before I know it.. it's the end.

I have been watching movies and tv series forever and what I'm sick of is films/tv that doesn't stand alone.

If this Superman movie fails as a franchise I still want it to be able be its own film from beginning to end and that doesn't mean Lex ends up in prison, Lex is as valuable as Lois and the Kent's.
Agreed. If Lex is half as smart as we/he hopes he is, he would never get caught doing anything. He will always have a plan to pin it on someone else.

I'll be surprised if we don't see Jonathan and Martha. They may not have much in the way of screentime but for them not to appear at all would be a shock to me.

I'd love to see something like Bruce buying the Daily Planet or being the owner.

I'd so love it if Gunn finds a way to reference things like Intergang, Star Labs, SCU etc without it feeling like forced name dropping.

Wait... no, I lie. I'd even enjoy forced name dropping. 😅

I'd so love it if Gunn finds a way to reference things like Intergang, Star Labs, SCU etc without it feeling like forced name dropping.

Wait... no, I lie. I'd even enjoy forced name dropping. 😅
At least by doing that you are hinting at a shared universe

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"