The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I mean in all reality there’s probably no reason for them to release anything yet, other than extra brownie points from folks like us online.

Still curious how they’re gonna treat scenes outdoors with the suit, if there are any at all (I have to believe there will be)

I mean it's not an origin story...the Kent's role is going to be small no matter what. That is why I never understood why everyone thought some A lister would get it the part is likely a few lines and out.
The only reason is that it’s tradition. That didn’t make it a sure thing, but it’s always worked that way on film. Before STM, Glen Ford was a major box-office draw (never got an Oscar, but got a Globe), Phyllis Thaxter less so. Before SR, Eva Marie Saint was an Oscar winner. Before MOS, Kevin Costner won a couple Oscars, and Diane Lane was also a majorly accomplished actress.

For me, I like to see it because these actors have always done a good job of adding some much-welcome gravitas to the films. I think we worry that lesser-known actors won’t fulfill that same promise. But, with that said, they could surprise us under the right direction.

I just don’t have the sense that Gunn is really known for pulling great performances out of lesser-known actors. So either, (a) Gunn’s going to surprise us with his direction and the actors with their performancds, or (b) the Kents won’t have major roles / provide that ethos.

Corenswet looks damn near unrecognizable. Wow.

A bit of a nitpick but it doesn't look like they dyed his eyebrows. The mismatch is gonna bug me. :funny:
Yeah I was wondering about that. Maybe there’s a technical reason and they’ll do it with makeup in the morning of the shoot.

Quite a few 'ITK scoopers' will have egg on their face today. Suppose Gunn could still release something but looking extremely doubtful now.
This is going to be a torturous wait...

About the eyebrows thing… maybe that pic was taken before shooting began (or before Corenswet’s first scenes) and they hadn’t darkened his eyebrows? Just a thought, since his brows look much darker in the pics from that ad he was doing in Mexico.

It feels vaguely like us getting fixated on something just to draw attention away from a lack of reveal, but the eyebrow thing is curious. They actually look lighter there than they do normally, so I wonder what they’re up to.

Man looks beefy, though. :atp:

As far as a reveal, though, I feel like the day is still young…

I mean, Gunn can’t keep it hidden until SDCC, can he…?

*braces self for Gunn to do just that*

Didn't he say a while back that the DCU wouldn't be coming to this year's SDCC or am I misremembering?

As far as a reveal, though, I feel like the day is still young…

I mean, Gunn can’t keep it hidden until SDCC, can he…?

*braces self for Gunn to do just that*
He already said he and the Superman cast aren't going to SDCC.

Anyway big reveals like this never happen at the top of the morning so idk why people are freaking out lol Usually they come at like 14:00-18:00 Central. Give it time. He said he was "almost ready to show it" and I can't think of a better date than this.

Does it seem likely though that he would make two posts in one day about the movie?

I mean it's not an origin story...the Kent's role is going to be small no matter what. That is why I never understood why everyone thought some A lister would get it the part is likely a few lines and out.
Even in that case you'd still expect them to at least have as much screentime as Alfred in the Batman films. But neither of the actors cast are on the wavelength of any Alfred cast prior or any Aunt May, like I said their filmographies are very much akin to the actors cast as the Waynes in The Batman.

Didn't he say a while back that the DCU wouldn't be coming to this year's SDCC or am I misremembering?
He said he wouldn’t be there, but that doesn’t mean the movie won’t have a presence.

He said he wouldn’t be there, but that doesn’t mean the movie won’t have a presence.
If he isn't gonna be there, and none of the cast is gonna be there, I don't see how the movie would have a presence.

With all due respect, but what you're saying is absolute nonsense.
When it comes to popularity Superman is still No.1 to the wider general public, don't believe me? check out those links below:

The one above is a yahoo front page poll in 2013 with over 138 thousand votes and our boy Kal b**ch slapped both Spidey and comicbooks's most overrated superhero who doesn't have superpowers aka Batman.

This poll was done at Disney land in an avergers ride opening event and yet Superman still came first!!

The thing about both of these polls is that they were completed by the general public (not some niche pop culture site like superhero hype or many others) and at the end of the day it's the general public that fills those movie seats not just Gen Z-ers.

Now compare the boxoffice openings of MOS, Spidey homecoming and the Batman for further proof

MOS: 116.5 Homecoming 117 The Batman 132

It seems that Superman made the least right? Nope. MOS came out in 2013, Spidey in 2017 and The Batman 2022
and if you adjust them for inflation you'd get:

MOS 156 Homecoming 149 The Batman 140

Superman is clearly the winner and btw I didn't include the 12 mill MOS made from wallmart advance sales otherwise the number would be considerably higher.
Now why did I choose opening weekend numbers instead of movie totals? Well it's because it's a movie's opening numbers that determines the baseline strength of an IP while the total depends largely on quality and competition.

I constantly see people underestimating Superman's popularity (something I used to be guilty of) but the character continues to endure despite of the garbage that Singer, Snyder and CW threw at the character. Heck under David Zaslev's own admission Superman was left to languish yet it's Superman who was chosen to lead Gunn's DCU and not Batman and it's because Zaslev sees Superman as the character with the greatest potential.
Dude, you had me going
IMG_4066.gif
At your post, until you dissed “the CW” Superman (presumably Hoechlin) as being “garbage”. Then it was like
IMG_4067.gif

With all due respect, but what you're saying is absolute nonsense.
When it comes to popularity Superman is still No.1 to the wider general public, don't believe me? check out those links below:

The one above is a yahoo front page poll in 2013 with over 138 thousand votes and our boy Kal b**ch slapped both Spidey and comicbooks's most overrated superhero who doesn't have superpowers aka Batman.

If you're going to claim someone is spouting nonsense, your first rebuttal shouldn't be trying to pass a Yahoo poll off as the opinions of the wider general public.

I think this data paints a different picture:

Which Superhero Earns $1.3 Billion a Year?

Now, that was 10 years ago. Before Spidey enters the MCU, the Insomniac games and the Spider-Verse movies. As for Batman, I were to venture a guess, I'd say Batman was probably still second place, as Superman hasn't really had anything that could raise his stock.

But, sure, Superman won a yahoo poll, so he must be more popular.

This poll was done at Disney land in an avergers ride opening event and yet Superman still came first!!

All this tells me is that Superman is most popular among Americans who went to Disneyland.

Now compare the boxoffice openings of MOS, Spidey homecoming and the Batman for further proof

MOS: 116.5 Homecoming 117 The Batman 132

It seems that Superman made the least right? Nope. MOS came out in 2013, Spidey in 2017 and The Batman 2022
and if you adjust them for inflation you'd get:

MOS 156 Homecoming 149 The Batman 140

Superman is clearly the winner and btw I didn't include the 12 mill MOS made from wallmart advance sales otherwise the number would be considerably higher.

Now why did I choose opening weekend numbers instead of movie totals?

Because it's the framework that happens to best support your bias?

If MOS had the biggest total BO gross, and not just adjusted opening domestic numbers, you likely would've just cited that.

The movies opening numbers are not just a determination of the IPs baseline strength. You're talking as if people only went to see MOS opening weekend because it's Superman. If that were the case, maybe those films shouldn't have marketing or PR teams anymore. According to you, apparently, IP like Superman don't need trailers, Press interviews, posters, Panel appearances, merchandise, etc designed to sell people on a particular version of a character.

I'll give you this, you definitely tried to stack the deck in Supes' favor.

I constantly see people underestimating Superman's popularity (something I used to be guilty of) but the character continues to endure despite of the garbage that Singer, Snyder and CW threw at the character. Heck under David Zaslev's own admission Superman was left to languish yet it's Superman who was chosen to lead Gunn's DCU and not Batman and it's because Zaslev sees Superman as the character with the greatest potential.
While some do underestimate Superman's popularity, all I see here are people saying he's currently not as popular as Batman or Spider-Man. To me, while Batman is my personal favorite, Superman is the Greatest superhero of all time. He still ain't as popular as Spidey or Bats at the moment. That's what happens when you get the Singers, Snyders and CW. You go from being number one to being number three.

I've yet to see any actual proof of Zaslav thinking Superman has greater potential than Batman. Regardless, Superman is obviously a better fit to lead the DCU because Batman is a dark, brooding character with no superpowers. Not that that has any real bearing on who's more popular.

Last edited:
Thank heavens David is chronically offline, because I’d probably go crazy having people microscopically analyzing my face and body whenever a new picture of me came out.

He does have Twitter and Instagram, but barely uses them so you're right on that lol

Even in that case you'd still expect them to at least have as much screentime as Alfred in the Batman films. But neither of the actors cast are on the wavelength of any Alfred cast prior or any Aunt May, like I said their filmographies are very much akin to the actors cast as the Waynes in The Batman.
True...but that doesn't mean they are dead either. Personally I think they are but it's at best a hunch.

As for the suit...I hope he adds a day to the reveal everytime someone bugs him about it! He will reveal when he is ready not when randos online beg him to!

Last edited:
New obscure topic to obsess over: Corenswet's eyebrows! There's definitely something "off" about them in this pic. They weren't like that at his appearance for that Ad he shot in Mexico a few days ago. Even his natural eyebrows are darker. This will definitely fuel the clone rumors.
View attachment 87792

I doubt they took the picture today and it’s quite possible that he’s in front of a light source we can’t see, making his eyebrows lighter

Yeah I thought about the light source and it being taken on a previous day, but his eyebrows are darker in all of his photos prior to being cast regardless of the lighting. The only way dark eyebrows can look that way is if it's under HEAVY lighting that ends up washing out lighter colored skin, but his skin looks fine. Especially when you consider his hair is SOOO much darker than his eyebrows despite only a little bit of difference in lighting.
1713470803198.png
To me his eyebrows look deliberately lightened. Why? We can only speculate.

Edit: New Call for Extras - Punk Rock edition!

Last edited:
Well, at least they are asking for all ethnicities and not just people who “can play Caucasian” or whatever.

Yeah I thought about the light source and it being taken on a previous day, but his eyebrows are darker in all of his photos prior to being cast regardless of the lighting. The only way dark eyebrows can look that way is if it's under HEAVY lighting that ends up washing out lighter colored skin, but his skin looks fine. Especially when you consider his hair is SOOO much darker than his eyebrows despite only a little bit of difference in lighting.
View attachment 87838
To me his eyebrows look deliberately lightened. Why? We can only speculate.

Edit: New Call for Extras - Punk Rock edition!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"