The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

I feel they are waiting to see how Flashpoint is received.. in the sense that if audiences want more of the same, then they will churn more of the same out. Esp if it ends with a definitive universe.

After all, we now have two Keaton starring batman movies lined up, who would have thought?

Supergirl entering the DCEU will naturally draw out Superman - he will naturally be drawn to her, is she him or alternate family member - what can he learn from her and vice versa. How does Zod and Faora fit into her world... how will they both react to each's story.

However, if she replaces him, that's Cavill gone.

Also, Shazam! 2... Aquaman still to come.

I personally think Black Adam will have a sequel where it's this massive movie, with everyone.. and that will be the end of the DCEU. I can't see them churning out a third AM, S! and WW, they will just look towards reeve$ universe and make reboots that in theory belong in that world (but are seen as standalone)...

Standalone Superman, heck I bet they will revisit lesser known characters.

Something that has always been important to me as a Superman fan is the look of Metropolis. In my opinion, the films haven’t depicted the perfect Metropolis yet. The Batman fan in me loves that stark contrast between Gotham and Metropolis, and that dichotomy was sorely lacking in Snyder’s films.

Richard Donner set the template for the entire ****ing genre, but I felt that his Metropolis was too visually ordinary. Much like Gotham, I prefer Metropolis to not look quite like any other city. It was refreshing to get a more gothic look for Gotham in The Batman, and I’d love to see a futurist Art Deco look for Metropolis. Whereas Gotham is always raining, Metropolis is always sunny. The visual style established in STAS for Metropolis should be something to strive towards.

It’s a small nitpick, but I just prefer Superman against a bright sunny Metropolis. I’m imagining a more visually heightened and futuristic San Francisco as a good model for Metropolis. Metropolis should feel like as much of a character as Gotham does in The Batman.

E509D43D-CB24-4527-9CA5-F7B301AB1256.jpeg 0E55286F-94D5-4ED0-A6F2-C59A5A70A2AF.jpeg

I agree, The Batman absolutely is the blueprint for the look of these fictional cities. Just as dark, wet, gothic, crowded, and thrown together as Gotham is, Metropolis should be bright, shiny, round and smooth, and art deco overloaded to really bring the City of Tomorrow to life. There so much that can be done to distinguish Metropolis as its own, real but exaggerated city. It should be it's own character and reflective of the hero... not Chicago or New York with one unique building.

eb1cabfb2fbe150dfa71523bdfe441625584b2bc.jpeg
tumblr_n41smpfhj51txl3eeo1_1280.jpg

Livewire.jpg

Yes. Metropolis needs to be as much a character as Gotham is. It should be look like an Art Deco masterpiece, souped up by futuristic LexCorp tech. I don’t understand why the movies have never embraced a visually stunning Metropolis and instead try to make it look as ordinary as possible.

Simple. The directors we've had so far don't get superman or the world he lives in.
So, they try to ground him or make it realistic as they can get away with.

I want Brad bird and for him to make Superman for all seasons with some birthright thrown in.
A trilogy that ends with kingdom Come.

Something that has always been important to me as a Superman fan is the look of Metropolis. In my opinion, the films haven’t depicted the perfect Metropolis yet. The Batman fan in me loves that stark contrast between Gotham and Metropolis, and that dichotomy was sorely lacking in Snyder’s films.

Richard Donner set the template for the entire ****ing genre, but I felt that his Metropolis was too visually ordinary. Much like Gotham, I prefer Metropolis to not look quite like any other city. It was refreshing to get a more gothic look for Gotham in The Batman, and I’d love to see a futurist Art Deco look for Metropolis. Whereas Gotham is always raining, Metropolis is always sunny. The visual style established in STAS for Metropolis should be something to strive towards.

It’s a small nitpick, but I just prefer Superman against a bright sunny Metropolis. I’m imagining a more visually heightened and futuristic San Francisco as a good model for Metropolis. Metropolis should feel like as much of a character as Gotham does in The Batman.

View attachment 53848 View attachment 53849

Are there any real world examples of a city you think would work well?

I like the idea that metropolis has it's thanks to the Luthor family - they came in, made it like another silicon valley, lexcorp driving the way. The city is green, sustainable - comparable to Singapore. At night, the city is neon, lit up, attractions, arts in the streets, it's almost an attraction it itself.
rc24-singapore.jpg

Also, the neon night life opens up the door for some stunning visuals with gangs, car chases etc. The police department are good, on the surface it looks good, safe, but there's an underworld brewing, in the sewers, the abandoned buildings that reeks of luthor's poor form.

A little gem from Mark Waid's AMA today that I hope the creative team behind any Superman movie takes to heart:
05788d6b-8f68-4c85-b7a6-94e8f6ab626e-jpeg.54108

i am gonna be honest i feel this reboot is not gonna happen and is gonna go the way of the new gods project

never a good sign when not a single info has been released outside of ta-nehisi coates writing which was announced over a year ago

they gonna see how well the batman is received and go a different route

ViewerAnon says the nature of the JJ Abrams Superman movie “keeps changing”. He says Abrams and WB don’t know what to do with the character just yet. I have a feeling WB is going to seriously regret giving that massive contract to Abrams and Bad Robot, he signed it in summer of 2019 and has done nothing for them since.

ViewerAnon says the nature of the JJ Abrams Superman movie “keeps changing”. He says Abrams and WB don’t know what to do with the character just yet. I have a feeling WB is going to seriously regret giving that massive contract to Abrams and Bad Robot, he signed it in summer of 2019 and has done nothing for them since.

I have an idea WB, how about you just a make a movie that stays true to the character instead of trying to put your spin on the mythology.

Last edited:
And that's the problem, they SHOULD know what to do with him. It's all there for the taking.
Don't make him dark, don't make him mopey, don't make him wish he were human, etc etc.

We need a bright, hopeful, superman film, especially now. A film where he is proud to be from smallville, proud of his powers, etc.

Stop trying to re-imagine Superman and pick up some comics from the last 80 years.
Hire Brad bird and leave him alone.

And that's the problem, they SHOULD know what to do with him. It's all there for the taking.
Don't make him dark, don't make him mopey, don't make him wish he were human, etc etc.

We need a bright, hopeful, superman film, especially now. A film where he is proud to be from smallville, proud of his powers, etc.

Stop trying to re-imagine Superman and pick up some comics from the last 80 years.
Hire Brad bird and leave him alone.

I believe the audiences really want a hopeful Superman film and if WB made a film like this it wouldn't have any problem making at least 800 million at the box office.

Last edited:
I truly am dumbfounded by how badly WB has messed up Superman, for more than a generation, to say the least. Superman 1 and 2 were very good films, but because Warner's sold the rights to other film makers, we get 3, and 4, both incredibly horrid films.

Lois and Clark was an interesting concept, with some real talent associated with it in the first season, that sadly spun itself into a mediocre mess by the end.

Giving Superman to B Singer looked like a good idea at the time, he was coming off some real film success, both artistically and financially, but he told failed.(I know people who went to film school with Singer, and are his friends, They like him, but refuse to ever work with him, from before his problems) Routh is a decent actor, and a better person, but he is not someone to base a film series around. Sadly, he would have been an excellent person to base a Superman tv series around.

I remember reading somewhere that the Smalliville series came from a creator wanting to do a young Batman series and he had an episode idea for a young Clark Kent in it. Sadly, the later producers of Smallville seemed to have taken over, hired a talentless Tom Welling, who refused to read a Superman comic, and refused to appear in the Superman suit. Honestly, why then portray the character, if only to advance ones own career. I know some love the series, it had an amazing look and feel to it, but was a artistic mediocrity.

As for Cavill, decent guy, not a good Superman performance, this from someone who was happy when he was cast. A failure as a film and art.

It would be nice to get a good directer, producer, actor with talent, desire, and depth, and screen writers with talent. Is that too much to ask

It is sad how much they’ve run Superman into the ground. The most we have now is a CW series that I know a lot of people like, but I know I personally just couldn’t get into it because I’m tired of seeing Smallville and giving him annoying teenage kids just made me roll my eyes repeatedly. I want to see a Superman movie that is fun and thrilling. I know people want it to also be inspiring but I worry that when you start throwing that word around too much you get Superman turning into Space Jesus again or a movie that tries too hard to “fit Superman into the real world.” I wish they would just embrace the more fantastical aspects of the character while keeping his core values. You would think that wouldn’t be too hard but well… we’re still waiting for that to happen after all these years.

Wow, who could have foreseen that WB and Mr. Ideas Extraordinaire JJ Abrams have no idea what to do with Superman on the big screen.

At this point, keep the character on TV and take another few years until they actually find someone who loves this character and wants to make the movie we’ve all been waiting for.

Wow, who could have foreseen that WB and Mr. Ideas Extraordinaire JJ Abrams have no idea what to do with Superman on the big screen.

At this point, keep the character on TV and take another few years until they actually find someone who loves this character and wants to make the movie we’ve all been waiting for.

Did they cancel it?

Treat superman like the mcu treated Cap, the hero is steadfast in their beliefs (possibly to a fault) even as the world changes around them. Superman vs the Elite works because it follows this logic.

That’s baffling to me considering Abrams already “cracked” that code 2 decades ago in his own script. Flyby’s Clark was just dorky enough, likable and far more relatable than the next two big screen incarnations we got.

I’m guessing the issue is more about marrying that with Coates’ vision for the character. A vision which I’m still a little nervous about, tbh.

From what I’ve read about Coates version, I’m not too excited about it. I would rather they keep the character on the back burner for now and maybe focus on lesser known DC characters for the movies. As of now, I’m pretty content with the Superman and Lois show.

Coates is one of the last people I would think of to write Superman based on his past comments on the character. I don’t think Superman as a character needs the social commentary that Coates brings to his work. But I am open to it, as long as it is a good story that doesn’t completely **** on the mythology.

What has Coates shared about his vision/ideas?

I feel uncomfortable with the label 'black superman'. It should be Superman, played by actor MBJ and we see a good movie, that offers a different take and perspective and it resonates.

I have seen some manips in the Val Zod suit and it looks made for him - flashpoint can explain that when universes merged, this superman moved over along with super girl and then we can enjoy a new movie that explains his origins etc and it's fresh, it's new, kids can look up and see a good role model, representation, plus we all know he's attractive to those looking.

Or save it for a separate reboot and keep it apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"