The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Does it worry anyone at all that there is no names with serious star power? I myself prefer picking the best actors that suit the role, but the other day I was talking about this movie with my sister and she asked who was going to be in it, and I was like, "Probably not a single person you would know."

It worries me that there is probably a large number of people that would look at the cast and lose interest because it has no actors that they know other than probably Nicholas Hoult.
I’m naive, but I think Clark Kent/Superman should be the star of the film and the actor playing him should disappear into the role.

If you look at the Donner films, you had Gene Hackman, who is one of the greatest actors to ever live. Hackman is a tour de force actor who draws all eyes to him. And he had every scene he was in stolen by a young Juliard grad who no one had ever heard of.

I prefer that I watch Superman, as opposed to Hollywood A-lister as Superman.

It will certainly come down to the trailer as most movies do but yeah if the trailer is like Bam! This is the Superman movie you have been waiting for! Then yeah it will be fine.

It's needs to have that Fury Road type of energy that makes you go "oh shiz" I have to see that.
And then people should actually go and see it because Fury Road was a box office bomb. :oldrazz:

I have had a flicker of worry about the star power thing from a general audience perspective. If MOS taught me anything, it's that it makes very little difference to the films quality of the writing & directing is bad - but with superhero fatigue so prevalent, I guess it's a bit scary to have no 'big name' draw to prop it up a bit.

Just have to hope the marketing and build up of hype is enough that the name 'Superman' will be enough.

Does anyone remember that ep of STAS where Lana Lang was all about that Superman S? :o

tumblr_n96phlO1ig1rrkahjo1_250.gifv
tumblr_n96phlO1ig1rrkahjo2_250.gifv

tumblr_n96phlO1ig1rrkahjo3_250.gifv
tumblr_n96phlO1ig1rrkahjo4_250.gifv
This show is still the defenitive adaption of Superman, imo.

Does it worry anyone at all that there is no names with serious star power? I myself prefer picking the best actors that suit the role, but the other day I was talking about this movie with my sister and she asked who was going to be in it, and I was like, "Probably not a single person you would know."

It worries me that there is probably a large number of people that would look at the cast and lose interest because it has no actors that they know other than probably Nicholas Hoult.
Not really, no. It gives lesser-known actors more exposure, and it allows money to be used elsewhere.

And then people should actually go and see it because Fury Road was a Box office bomb. :oldrazz:
Box office bomb but still well received. It seems regardless if a film fails at the cinema, if it gets a great reception then it will carry on.

So yeah Pruitt Vince as Jonathan is a choice
I don't mind the chubbiness, but if he does that creepy eye twitch thing he always does, that'll be odd for Pa Kent

Wasn't it said in a "leak" a while back that the Kent's would be basically "unknowns" and not major stars. I understand this guy has been around but I don't recognise him from anything but I am excited and I'm Super excited he doesn't look like Superman.
Yeah, it was the DCEULeaks mods. I believe they also said they were looking for actors in the 50s-70s age range. So this was another win for their track record.

I wonder if we'll finally get his famous line*:

8n2vvu.gif

*Apologies to Stan Lee Marvel sycophants, it was here first. :funny:
Said by his foster father figure.
:cwink:
'Stan, this idea of yours for an iconic mantra....bit of a mouthful, isn't it? Tell ya what, we'll cut out all that wordy, yawny crap in the middle, and leave just the start and the end. Perfect.'

Box office bomb but still well received. It seems regardless if a film fails at the cinema, if it gets a great reception then it will carry on.
It seemed like you were talking about box office and I pointed out the irony of the performance of the movie you chose to compare it with. I hope it's good, it's received well and it makes enough profit to guarantee a continuation.

I'm a little disappointed. I thought for sure ma and part Kent, Lex, and the ELs would be A-listers.
I added the Els because I fully expect them to be a who? also.
But, with Gunn's track record, it SHOULD be fine. Maybe.

I sincerely don't think the cast matters for a character like Superman.

I can't imagine anyone going "I wasn't going to watch this Superman movie, but Kurt Russell and Glenn Close are on it so that convinced me!".
Have you ever watched a film because a favorite actor or actress of yours was in it, even tho you didn't know what the film was about?
I have.

I wonder if we'll finally get his famous line*:

8n2vvu.gif

*Apologies to Stan Lee Marvel sycophants, it was here first. :funny:
Said by his foster father figure.
:cwink:

I prefer the Madame Web variation:

“When you take on responsibility, speed, strength, x-ray vision and super-sensitive hearing will come.”

Listen, nothing against you personally but I have no intention what so ever in getting into yet another discussion about BvS and it's sh**y handling of Superman because Lord knows I wasted enough time doing so back in 2016 when so many Snyder cult nutcases were infesting this forum...
I appreciate your concern about derailing threads. I try to be conscientious about that too. But it’s a bit of a “rigged game” if quickie/causal — and off-topic — complaints about Snyder are readily indulged as fair comment while those who might be inclined to challenge those complaints feel an onus to behave, keep quiet and not derail.

I generally liked the Snyder Trilogy. But I don’t think the movies are perfect. So I’m happy to engage in a respectful discussion/debate on their pros and cons — in, of course, the appropriate thread. Unfortunately, those threads don’t seem to be the preferred locale for such discussions. Rather, random critiques of Snyder tend to pop up in random areas. Case in point: in this thread, it was a photo of Brandon Routh (not Cavill) that somehow (?) prompted a specific critique about BvS. Now by my reckoning, that’s a curious non sequitur. Be that as it may, the comment was made here so I responded here.

I appreciate your concern about derailing threads. I try to be conscientious about that too. But it’s a bit of a “rigged game” if quickie/causal — and off-topic — complaints about Snyder are readily indulged as fair comment while those who might be inclined to challenge those complaints feel an onus to behave, keep quiet and not derail.

I generally liked the Snyder Trilogy. But I don’t think the movies are perfect. So I’m happy to engage in a respectful discussion/debate on their pros and cons — in, of course, the appropriate thread. Unfortunately, those threads don’t seem to be the preferred locale for such discussions. Rather, random critiques of Snyder tend to pop up in random areas. Case in point: in this thread, it was a photo of Brandon Routh (not Cavill) that somehow (?) prompted a specific critique about BvS. Now by my reckoning, that’s a curious non sequitur. Be that as it may, the comment was made here so I responded here.
This is such an unnecessary waste of space. Superchan stating he doesn’t want to waste any more breath on a Snyder discussion is merely him stating his exhaustion with the topic, an expression of feeling which requires no response. In the future, no one needs to explain why they’re posting responses on a message board. Just post your own thoughts on the topic at hand and move on. And don’t even think about posting an explanation for why you posted an explanation. This is something you do regularly. People have their feelings on a topic. Leave them be.

The relevance of star power is a little ambiguous at the moment, I don’t think the truism that it’s totally dead is true at all - a massive factor in Dune’s success for instance is being filled with wildly popular actors. Barbie probably wouldn’t have quite been what it was without Gosling.

It is going to be a factor that this movie has such a B list cast - James Gunn’s name is not going to carry it and it’s silly to pretend like Superman is a name that inherently sells a movie. It absolutely needs every single bit of help it can get to succeed.

As someone who fairly recently suggested Rainn Wilson for the part, I'm in the group that doesn't mind an unconventional choice for Pa Kent. To me, Jor-El and Krypton can and should feel larger than life but Kents are where Clark's humility and unexpected normality comes from. And I think that might work better if Pa Kent looks less like an aging action hero and more like just an ordinary dad.

As for Ma Kent... How about Melissa Leo?

Pruitt is a choice I like more than a lot of the cast because I see a very specific vision behind it. It doesn't feel read off an uncreative fan casting list someone posted here the way most of them do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"