The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

With all the countless memes that have now popped up, it's just going to be a constant reminder of what a poor decision it was to reveal the suit in this way.

I still don't understand what James Gunn was thinking. I'll be real curious if he gives any sort of insight why he chose to debut the suit in this way.

A bad suit deserves a bad picture, I guess.

With all the countless memes that have now popped up, it's just going to be a constant reminder of what a poor decision it was to reveal the suit in this way.

I still don't understand what James Gunn was thinking. I'll be real curious if he gives any sort of insight why he chose to debut the suit in this way.
Gunn was doing an amazing job at marketing this movie and then... This. I also find the choices baffling.

Maybe he really didn't want to reveal anything till SDCC and he was pressured into it?

Honestly it's probably going to be fine because of anything we will get The Superman, the suit will just be nothing.

I'm too old to care about one image.

Gunn was doing an amazing job at marketing this movie and then... This. I also find the choices baffling.

Maybe he really didn't want to reveal anything till SDCC and he was pressured into it?

It's his first true fumble. Hopefully his next Superman image wows us.

SR suit, which I do love, was mostly panned upon reveal. The next couple of official images, as seen below for example, garnered a much better reaction. I always wondered why Singer didn't release one of those images.

I'm wondering if this film will be a similar case where the follow up image quiets some if the fan backlash.

ghows-NC-9df89a91-6285-443e-ad19-c32efcd9ed61-38da80a1.jpeg

See now I feel bad. The day before this dropped I posted this meme on twitter and tagged him in it...

8p3027.jpg

Is this all my fault? 😅

I definitely don't consider this a fumble. It was bound to be polarizing no matter the pose, the design, or the setting. I was the same back when The Batman Released the test footage, everyone turned around on it. Now I'm not saying everyone will change their minds, many won't and many will. But what I am saying is in a year this photo will be a distant memory and we'll have much more to go off of.

I definitely don't consider this a fumble. It was bound to be polarizing no matter the pose, the design, or the setting. I was the same back when The Batman Released the test footage, everyone turned around on it. Now I'm not saying everyone will change their minds, many won't and many will. But what I am saying is in a year this photo will be a distant memory and we'll have much more to go off of.

It's definitely a fumble. Even if you like the suit, objectively looking at the overall reactions, this was not well received. Yes, you'll always have people that complain, no matter how perfect something could be, but even the more level headed, reasonable commentators/posters online have said they don't like it. There's legitimate criticisms to be made. With the positive reactions I've seen, more have been on the side of like it rather than love it.

A fumble doesn't mean they are doomed for failure or this film isn't going to be successful. How good Superman is will determine that. I'm still optimistic about the movie we are going to get.

But if we are looking at this one event, it's was not a win for Gunn or the film.

Last edited:
You know..... I don't completely mind the pose.
The background imo doesn't work, and in the chilled settings some of you have posted, it makes more sense.

If they were going for a workmanlike Supes image, having a 'calm' background and him taking off the boots would have served better... Like, 'I've saved the world and now I'm home'.

I'd preferred a pic of him standing while taking off the cape.
I would have liked something like this.
Clarks standing in a small room at the DP.
We see a window behind him. Smokes rising off in the distance.
Clarks in the middle of changing to superman.
He still has his "reporter Clark at the DP" business shirt and tie on.
the shirt is opened all the way down, revealing the \S/.
His glasses are still on,
His buisness pants are off and we see the bottom half of the supersuit and the boots.
His reaching for his glasses.

When the MoS teaser came out, with the Pa Kent voice-overing “you’re going to have to make a choice what kind of man you’re going to be…and whoever that man is, good character or bad, he’s going to change the world.” I thought that it looked beautiful. I can’t tell you how excited I was to see it.

Now that teaser is the highlight of the Snyderverse to me. Everything went downhill after that.

So yeah, first impressions from minimal information are per se uninformed.

When the MoS teaser came out, with the Pa Kent voice-overing “you’re going to have to make a choice what kind of man you’re going to be…and whoever that man is, good character or bad, he’s going to change the world.” I thought that it looked beautiful. I can’t tell you how excited I was to see it.

Now that teaser is the highlight of the Snyderverse to me. Everything went downhill after that.

So yeah, first impressions from minimal information are per se uninformed.

The teasers for both SR and MOS were fantastic. Both films were equally divided.

One thing I'll say about those films was the difference on how the suit came across on film versus stills.

I thought SR's suit came across much better on film and in motion than it did in still images. MOS' suit on the other hand I believe looks better in images than it did in the film, IMO

Corenswet's suit could go in either direction.

@flickchick85 previously suggested that his brows might have been made lighter to give Superman's clone, also played by David, a more bizarre or otherworldly appearance. If that theory doesn't pan out, I'm just going to chalk it up to his hair's natural light undertones (see image below), which are more visible now in the portions that haven't been darkened—his brows, for instance—probably due to contrast and lighting. It'll be easier to say for sure once we have a better picture of him, though.

BB1hlPJm.img
Huge gulf between that^^^...

View attachment 89617

...and this. THEY DID THIS. I must know why!!! :argh:

I doubt it's intentional. If I'd to guess, it's just sunlight.

I've a friend who's got reasonably darkish brown hair & there's times I've seen his hair turn practically blonde in parts when he has spent, presumably a higher number of hours than normal in direct sunlight, so usually in the summer months.

As much as I dislike SR, the shuttle/plane save is still one of the best saves I've ever seen in ANY superhero film.
That suit in SR tho, ugh.

I have a feeling that if you had a picture where there’s a threat to the public outside the window and Clark is finishing up putting on his suit with a smile on his face, the reaction would (rightly) have been “why is he smiling? People are dying outside.”
It probably is a Rorschach test, but it also is just that it’s really hard to please people.
giphy.gif

People, especially on the web, will always find a way to hate things. Superman was boring when he was happy, a jerk when he was sad, his suit was too light, too dark, the shield too small, too big...it is what it is.

Once live shots of the suit start filtering out the side by sides will probably kill the hatred anyways.

In a year people will talk about how much they liked it because they wont remember hating it.

The teasers for both SR and MOS were fantastic. Both films were equally divided.

One thing I'll say about those films was the difference on how the suit came across on film versus stills.

I thought SR's suit came across much better on film and in motion than it did in still images. MOS' suit on the other hand I believe looks better in images than it did in the film, IMO

Corenswet's suit could go in either direction.
The MOS suit looked great in the fast food commercial tied to the film. The movie kind of ruined it with the way Snyder filtered things. Except in the Smallville fight...everything in the fight was awesome!

SR suit was definitely better in motion but Singer made weird choices.

The MOS suit looked great in the fast food commercial tied to the film. The movie kind of ruined it with the way Snyder filtered things. Except in the Smallville fight...everything in the fight was awesome!

SR suit was definitely better in motion but Singer made weird choices.

The color grading in both movies could have been better. Both directors muted the vibrancy of the suits on film.

I specifically recall a shot of Routh in one of the trailers that the color was much better than the finished film. The scene of him flying in the sky upset right after from Lois' tells Richard she didn't love Superman and we have the Jor-El voice over.

The colors in Gunn's movies always look great, but I'm curious if he will stretch his capabilities. I don't want this to look like another Guardians or typical MCU film.

As much as I dislike SR, the shuttle/plane save is still one of the best saves I've ever seen in ANY superhero film.
That suit in SR tho, ugh.

Yeah, the best thing I can say about the new suit is that at least it looks better than the SR suit. Extremely low bar, of course. But I hate the SR suit so much; it might look marginally better in the film than in that first awful image but it’s still ass.

Goddamnit, Superman as a character has been around for almost 90 years and one s***ty iteration (the new 52 suit) gave him a stupid collar and THAT is what Gunn takes inspiration from. (I’m not counting Injustice because that was an alternate version of the character who went on a murder spree.)

The suit may be fine in action, but it's undeniable that the setting and pose was a misfire to most, especially the pose.
If you have to explain why superman is posing in such a way, then you missed the mark.

Gunn should release a better image asap, even if it's just of David standing around on set in it.
The reaction to the suit is on the negative side from what I've seen on other platforms, and that's the last thing this film needs.

That said, I'm warming up to it, but I need to see a better image.

Last edited:
Yeah, the best thing I can say about the new suit is that at least it looks better than the SR suit. Extremely low bar, of course. But I hate the SR suit so much; it might look marginally better in the film than in that first awful image but it’s still ass.

Goddamnit, Superman as a character has been around for almost 90 years and one s***ty iteration (the new 52 suit) gave him a stupid collar and THAT is what Gunn takes inspiration from. (I’m not counting Injustice because that was an alternate version of the character who went on a murder spree.)

I feel like the collar almost guarantees this Superman will not be wearing his suit under his clothes. Which begs the question of where will he be keeping it? Will he carry it in a bag or keep it nearby?

I mean we already had to suspend disbelief with the suit under the clothes because of the cape and boots, but the bulkiness of this costume and the collar make it more of a stretch.

I feel like the collar almost guarantees this Superman will not be wearing his suit under his clothes. Which begs the question of where will he be keeping it? Will he carry it in a bag or keep it nearby?

I mean we already had to suspend disbelief with the suit under the clothes because of the cape and boots, but the bulkiness of this costume and the collar make it more of a stretch.

Yeah, I guess a shirt rip is out of the question unless Clark always wears turtlenecks (that button down, lol). But yeah, the bulk of the suit also makes that pretty much an impossibility. A cape is bulky enough, let alone a suit so thick that looks like it’s made from old tires.

Maybe I'm just getting older but as much as I don't love the suit, I'm rolling my eyes at some of what I'm seeing around the internet where people are just throwing in the towel on the whole movie lmao. It's one underwhelming picture and even so, it's not that bad. It'll be fine folks

You see, there will be no need to hide the suit under the clothes when he gets nanotechnology in the sequel :o

He'll be wearing a really bulky turtleneck to work every day.

giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"