The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

The suit may be fine in action, but it's undeniable that the setting and pose was a misfire to most, especially the pose.
If you have to explain why superman is posing in such a way, then you missec the mark.

Gunn should release a better image asap, even if it's just of David standing around on set in it.
The reaction to the suit is on the negative side from what I've seen on other platforms, and that's the last thing this film needs.

That said, I'm warming up to it, but I need to see a better image.

Yeah, maybe I would feel differently about it if the picture and the pose didn’t make it look so bad. It’s not that I don’t “get” what he was going for or that I feel the picture depicts the entire tone of the movie. It’s just a really unflattering picture. I get that Supes has been through a fight, but making his suit dirty in the first reveal isn’t the best choice. Then you have the pose, which has the entire chest bunched up and looking like it’s too big on him. And that downward glance makes him looks like he’s half asleep. Why not at least take advantage of David’s blue eyes (since that suit doesn’t take advantage of his impressive physique)? Just a bad choice all around. But I’m sure Gunn will make a bunch of snarky comments about it today on Threads to let us know how stupid we all are.

And I WANT this movie to succeed. I WANT to root for Gunn and everyone involved. The last thing I want is for the Snyder trolls to gloat about how their Superman was better. But even I have to admit that Snyder’s suit was better than this (at least from what we’ve seen).

Yeah, I guess a shirt rip is out of the question unless Clark always wears turtlenecks (that button down, lol). But yeah, the bulk of the suit also makes that pretty much an impossibility. A cape is bulky enough, let alone a suit so thick that looks like it’s made from old tires.

It's crazy to think we haven't truly gotten a great and iconic shirt rip scene in the modern Superman movies.

Routh's was a quick CGI because they originally filmed it as a comedic scene where he forgets he left his suit at the DP. Whedon's JL was a quick cut and Snyder's had the black suit.

We haven't gotten that great build up with a lingering close-up as we did in Donner's Superman.

As for a first reveal picture, it may not be good but I personally don't mind because we'll see more real soon I'm sure, and besides the lines on the arms I like what we see.

As for the general reception, I left social media awhile ago so I'm not sure what the reception has been outside of what you guys have said, but we've seen the cycle play out so many times of dissatisfaction turning to satisfaction over time that I'm simply not worried about it at this point.

It's crazy to think we haven't truly gotten a great and iconic shirt rip scene in the modern Superman movies.

Routh's was a quick CGI because they originally filmed it as a comedic scene where he forgets he left his suit at the DP. Whedon's JL was a quick cut and Snyder's had the black suit.

We haven't gotten that great build up with a lingering close-up as we did in Donner's Superman.

Seriously. The last great Superman shirt-rip we got was Tobey Maguire in a Spider-Man movie, lol.

I don't see how he can wear this suit under regular clothes, so I'm no longer counting on a shirt rip.
I mean can you imagine him wearing this under regular clothes? He'd look like the Pillsbury dough boy.
Or Ralphies little brother from a Christmas story.

I don't see how he can wear this suit under regular clothes, so I'm no longer counting on a shirt rip.
I mean can you imagine him wearing this under regular clothes? He'd look like the Pillsbury dough boy.
Or Ralphies little brother from a Christmas story.
I mean like

People say that as if that's a bad thing and it wouldn't actually feed into Clark's secret identity.

It actually makes a lot of sense if that's intentional. Literally making Clark look even more overweight than Superman so nobody thinks they're the same person cuz you got this absolutely yoked bodybuilder vs this slightly pudgier Dad Bod

As for a first reveal picture, it may not be good but I personally don't mind because we'll see more real soon I'm sure, and besides the lines on the arms I like what we see.

As for the general reception, I left social media awhile ago so I'm not sure what the reception has been outside of what you guys have said, but we've seen the cycle play out so many times of dissatisfaction turning to satisfaction over time that I'm simply not worried about it at this point.

I reserve the right to change my mind. If I go from hating it to simply not liking it, it will be an improvement. I'll will forever hate the collar, but hope the rest looks better.

As much as I dislike SR, the shuttle/plane save is still one of the best saves I've ever seen in ANY superhero film.
That suit in SR tho, ugh.

That's how I feel about MOS and the first flight scene. Hate the movie, but that scene is top notch and one of my favorite moments in all of Superman media.

The design is about as close to the reveal photo as one can get, but the red color is off. I also hope it's as formfitting as that concept.

The collar... oh, the collar... just like I've never liked a trunkless version of the suit over one with trunks, I've never seen a Supes suit with what I call a "phimosis collar" that is better than one without it.

Oh well. I don't hate the costume, just the collar.

I honestly think the overall vibe of the picture would be much better without the fake-looking beam/alien thing in the background.
Have you actually seen a beam/alien looking thing in the sky in real life to know whether or not this one looks authentic? It could be a spot on representation.

Maybe it should have been something less urgent than an alien attack? Like a cat stuck in a tree. But then again the critics would have said that this Superman doesn't care about cats.

The suit may be fine in action, but it's undeniable that the setting and pose was a misfire to most, especially the pose.
If you have to explain why superman is posing in such a way, then you missed the mark.

Gunn should release a better image asap, even if it's just of David standing around on set in it.
The reaction to the suit is on the negative side from what I've seen on other platforms, and that's the last thing this film needs.

That said, I'm warming up to it, but I need to see a better image.
Except you dont...it's pretty obvious why he is in that "pose".

Maybe it should have been something less urgent than an alien attack? Like a cat stuck in a tree. But then again the critics would have said that this Superman doesn't care about cats.
I think a normal Metropolis skyline would have been just fine.

Twatters would have whined that Superman should have been doing something serious and then said "Gunn is making a comedy!!!1!1+".

This is a total guess...but I think the point of the reveal picture is to show the scope of the film. Something big is happening but Superman still has to put his boots on one at a time to fight it. He has a life outside Superman.

Every decision made about this film already had me in doubt, but that suit reveal takes it to a whole new level.

Hope the suit looks better from different angles and in action, but so far... nothing about this project inspires confidence in its quality and and it actually makes MOS look like a Citizen Kane.

And it takes quite some talent to be able to achieve that.

tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"