The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Honestly based on how he did the suit I do fully 100% believe Gunn when he was talking about how he wasn't sure if he was gonna do the trunks on Superman or not. And if he was that indecisive on it in regards to Superman I can't imagine he'll do them with Batman who again, it's easier to get away with him not having them.

I'd honestly be shocked if Gunn does anything other than some sort of high tech armor when it comes to Batman. The way he went out of his way to try to "ground" the Superman suit as much as possible makes me think he's just gonna double down on it even more when it comes to Batman who already has a long history of suits like that which allow for more ways in which to execute that type of "overdesign", and even tho it's a very sci fi universe, even Bloodsport's suit was completely overhauled from the comics to accomodate for more armor, and I'd say Bloodsport is the most similar thing he's done to a Batman-type character.

Also I really doubt he'll do blue. He seems very into the whole "dark creature of the night" thing for Batman (he called him that moniker in Peacemaker and in his Facebook rants on Batman 89 complaining about the way the neck didn't move) plus I think he'll want that contrast in colors between Batman and Superman.
I agree that some historical trends suggest that he might go the armor route. But as a counterpoint, he did faithfully adapt the looks of Star Lord, Nebula, Rocket, Peacemaker, and plenty of others.

But even if he did have a strong bias toward adding armor, it’s impossible to predict with certainty based on history alone, and I’m personally hoping he goes with the traditional look.

Batman can be plenty tech-y without the armor. Put the tech in the gadgets. That’s really where it belongs.

I think Superman's suit will be widely inspired by the story and his character, to me based on the cape placement and the collar I think the suit comes from Krypton but is more of a casual wear as opposed to the skin-tight suits from MOS.

I almost wonder if the apparent stitching we saw in the closeup image is an Earth made logo stitched onto Kryptonian clothing.

I agree that some historical trends suggest that he might go the armor route. But as a counterpoint, he did faithfully adapt the looks of Star Lord, Nebula, Rocket, Peacemaker, and plenty of others.
His purpose with adapting Peacemaker so faithfully was that he wanted Peacemaker to look like an idiot. He wasn't subtle about that at all either with how the show constantly brought attention to the fact he looked dumb. Superman's costume shows us the type of philosophy he uses when it comes to superheroes that are "actual serious business.".
Also Nebula wasn't comic accurate at all. And Star-Lord is essentially just a space dude, not the same type of superhero as Batman. And anyway the "comic bookiness" of it all is about as moot of a point as you can bring up for Batman because there are plenty of comics, videogames, etc where he has a more armored look that he can use as reference, so being comic accurate when it comes to Batman wouldn't tell you anything because his costume has been all over the place, perhaps more than any other hyper popular superhero.

At most, based on Judianna's previous designs, maaaaybe I could see the DCU Batman going for something more milistaristic like Captain America Winter Soldier's looks but idk. I do think Bloodsport is the best reference we have on how he may adapt the batsuit.

Thinking of starting something like a go fund me page to gather money to bribe someone, anyone associated with this movie to give us pictures. Any type of pictures, in studio, eating, sleeping, David playing, or walking his dog in the suit. Since they aren't doing it on their own, we need to prod them along. I got $5.

On a different note, I read online today that Corenswet is actually 6'6 and not 6'4 as previously thought.

He is going to look massive on film.
Makes sense. He towers over Nicolas Holt and he is 6’2.

I never really warmed up to the TDK Trilogy Batsuits in general. Even when I was a kid and playing with my kiddie Dark Knight figures, it still looked...not great.

I feel like the biggest issue for me are the cowls. I don't like the thick-a$$ ears aggressively curving inwards, the small mouth opening, nor do I like that they make Bale look like his head is shaped like an egg.

For my money, the Begins suit is the best-looking out of all 2/3 mainly because of the symbol, but it looks stiff as all hell. The TDK suit provides more mobility and thus while it might technically make him look better, it's an overall worse design. No style at all.

@Boom On that same note, I really hope Gunn sticks to a New 52 style for Batman’s costume. Gray fabric, continuous cape and cowl, thinner cowl like Battinson’s. I’m tired of all the rubber and “armor.” It’s a fantasy. We don’t need “realism” with these costumes, especially not in an elevated universe involving superpowers and all sorts of crazy technology. It hasn’t been needed in the comics or the cartoons; why is film any different?
Film has continuously proven to be a far more diverse medium than certain mainline comics. And at the end of the day Batman's just a dude, I don't care what anyone says (please don't start a flame war).

'We don't need realism with these costumes'

*proceeds to list reasons for why their preferred style of costume lines up more with reality. :hehe:
I used the word “realistic” differently in the first and second paragraphs. In the first paragraph, I meant in-universe realism. In the second paragraph, I wasn’t referring to in-universe realism, but to the challenges of movie production. I don’t particularly care about in-universe realism when it comes to sci-fi technology; I already know much of these movies won’t be grounded in science.

So in the second paragraph, I just meant that a slimmer, lighter suit makes practical, acrobatic stunts much more achievable. Pattison’s suit weighs about 60+ pounds. We’re not going to see him doing flips anytime soon. Sure, with movie magic, you could do a stunt and then add the suit in post-production (see Iron Man in the MCU). But I’d vastly prefer (1) practical effects w/o digital costumes, and (2) a more acrobatic depiction of Batman.

As a filmmaker, you simply can’t meet those two requirements with an armored suit. Anyway, this isn’t a Batman thread, so I’m going to stop here.

According to Celebheights.com… Corenswet is 6’3” and Hoult is 6’2.5“.
In the boots and lifts, he'll probably be 6'5-6'5.5 with the suit on, or somewhere around there. That tall with his new physique is going to give Gunn a run for his money to fit him into the frame lol.

I'm not a die-hard DCEU fan and even I agree with that sentiment. My issues with the costume design aside, I feel like they could have staged the photo better from what we actually got.

I like what Gunn was going for, but I really wanted to atleast see David's face as a first reveal. You only get one first impression and Corenswet is a handsome fella. There's no way around the misstep. I think the only thing that bugs me most with the photo is his right eye. When I zoom in, I can't unsee that, but it's not the end of the world like most are making it out to be. Once they show a teaser or trailer, all of this will be forgotten. David has an incredible Superman voice. Can't wait to hear it.

One of the most subjective things in the entire world.
Billionaire Playboy who never learned to properly deal with his emotional trauma and grief after his parents' death, alien who is raised as a farm boy from the Midwest who likes to help people any way he can, or school nerd and shutterbug who gets bitten by a radioactive spider...

Billionaire Playboy who never learned to properly deal with his emotional trauma and grief after his parents' death, alien who is raised as a farm boy from the Midwest who likes to help people any way he can, or school nerd and shutterbug who gets bitten by a radioactive spider...
In Tra-El's defense I think he was getting at something deeper i.e. feeling like an outsider, but this is basically what I'm getting at.

The second option.

Yep..definitely the second option with a no contest:smirk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"