• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

The tarp is part of the trap, he is also gone rapt Lois and prat fall for sympathy points.

Or maybe it's just to control the light coming in from the windows for photography and chroma key reasons...

Did Gunn or anyone on the production team actually say the tarp was for secrecy? Or is that an assumption. Wasn't it an old Hollywood trick to use tarps and such to creating certain lighting or certain light effects? I thought some one had an idea that Lex or some other bad guy was using the lack of yellow light to weaker Superman? I so, wouldn't they want it to look like no yellow sun light is coming through. Or did I just miss Gunn saying something about secrecy?
I don't know anything about what Gunn may have or may not have said, but yes, tarps have been used for decades for lighting purposes.

It's also a bit strange to me for them to allow thing at all to leak... isn't that part of generating hype & discussion?
My guess is the stuff they filmed so far would give away the plot... so it makes sense not to let it leak.

Hell, the costume reveal alone, and reactions from online or even forums such as this one also prove you can't please everyone!

But as far as pleasing the majority- not every film can be that special four quadrant movie that just hits at the right time, like Top Gun Maverick. Right now, Gunn just needs to make a solid film. I enjoy Man of Steel, but see how it's divisive, and there are parts of Superman Returns that I enjoy, even though it's just Bryan Singer's love letter to Richard Donner. With Superman in particular, there will always be defectors or those who just don't like the final product. I mean, there's no guarantee that Superman, and the DCU by extension, work out or reach the heights that Zaslav wants. By the same token, there's every chance that it works out in the end. So, again, they just need a solid film. Doesn't need to change the face of superhero movies.
I am getting ahead of myself but it appears Zaslav is very confident in Superman. WB is tearing the movie market apart since the holiday season. WB got 400 million from dead on arrival Aquaman 2. Maybe it was the Jason Mamoa effect but I think a good Superman movie is an automatic 600 million at the overall box office no matter the superhero movie fatigue.

We can’t control such things but as fans I think if we turn up that’s a good sign. Even doing stuff like sharing trailers in various groups etc, it all helps. The worst thing that could happen is people just not knowing it’s coming out

They were very confident in BvS also pre release.
( I was one of those predicting AT LEAST a billion for it)
Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for superman, but I'm reining in my expectations until I see a trailer at the least.
The suit reveal kinda sorta lowered my excitement somewhat, but not by much.
We really need another image of it asap.

Also, the lack of any big names is kinda concerning, but Gunn is known for casting unknowns, so we'll see.

Even so, this film still has a tall hill to climb after the DCEU, and no that's not fair, but it is what it is.
IMHO, a 550 million B.O. with good reviews, and one that most of the fans and public like, should be considered a win.
No way it even sniffs a billion. Not impossible, but it's very improbable.

On the positive side, I've yet to see a Gunn film that I didn't like.

Last edited:
In fact, they were so confident in BvS that they greenlighted Snyder’s entire JL trilogy ahead of its release, JL began principal photography 3 weeks after BvS’s release.

Needless to say that this decision would prove itself to be extremely shortsighted, to put it mildly.

They were very confident in BvS also pre release.
( I was one of those predicting AT LEAST a billion for it)
Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for superman, but I'm reining in my expectations until I see a trailer at the least.
The suit reveal kinda sorta lowered my excitement somewhat, but not by much.
We really need another image of it asap.

Also, the lack of any big names is kinda concerning, but Gunn is known for casting unknowns, so we'll see.

Even so, this film still has a tall hill to climb after the DCEU, and no that's not fair, but it is what it is.
IMHO, a 550 million B.O. with good reviews, and one that most of the fans and public like, should be considered a win.
No way it even sniffs a billion. Not impossible, but it's very improbable.

On the positive side, I've yet to see a Gunn film that I didn't like.
Interesting point about the name stars. I just like Superheroes to be up in coming actors. I don’t like seeing Bruce Wayne and seeing Ben Affleck. Although Pattinson was so good that the whole movie I never thought about him in Twilight. :rofl: :beaming: 😉. If you still have issues with the suit I suggest you look at the image they used at the WB Upfront panel. You can clearly see Supes suit is damaged and David looks the part of Superman physically.

Interesting point about the name stars. I just like Superheroes to be up in coming actors. I don’t like seeing Bruce Wayne and seeing Ben Affleck. Although Pattinson was so good that the whole movie I never thought about him in Twilight. :rofl: :beaming: 😉. If you still have issues with the suit I suggest you look at the image they used at the WB Upfront panel. You can clearly see Supes suit is damaged and David looks the part of Superman physically.
The actors playing the main characters in their films, ie, superman, batman, WW, being relatively unknown is fine, but imo, some of the supporting cast, like Jonathan and martha, perry, steve, or Alfred, should be well known actors.
It gives the films gravitas.

As for the suit, I don't have an issue with David, he 100% looks like superman.
I just don't care for the collar, or how the suit looks kinda big, and it has alot of lines on it sans MoS.
I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.

That said, I may change my mind with the next image of it.

Last edited:
Maybe Lois and Clark are just investigating an evil painter
I genuinely want to attempt a Superman show where it's almost purely Lois's and Jimmy's perspective. Like they pursue stories around Metropolis and we get glimpses of Superman, but we don't actually see him. Clark is more of a background character and we see Lois developing feelings for him.

I believe the original concept of "Lois and Clark" was to be Lois Lane's Daily Planet. It was supposed to be from her perspective, and I don't remember if Superman was supposed to be on the show. Also, at five to seven years ago an idea was floating around for a prequel tv show of Lois and Lex in Metropolis before Superman, solving crime and mysteries and some other worldly things. Nothing came of it.

I believe the original concept of "Lois and Clark" was to be Lois Lane's Daily Planet. It was supposed to be from her perspective, and I don't remember if Superman was supposed to be on the show. Also, at five to seven years ago an idea was floating around for a prequel tv show of Lois and Lex in Metropolis before Superman, solving crime and mysteries and some other worldly things. Nothing came of it.
I shall call it "The Planet" or "Metropolis"...

It's also a bit strange to me for them to allow thing at all to leak... isn't that part of generating hype & discussion?
Feels like a graveyard with hype. We're about a year away and they are halfway through the shoot already. Outside of our nerd circles, nobody knows this thing is coming and coming fast. Pages were flying with prior films at this point. I'm having trouble engaging with fans or people about this movie. Outside of a few Youtuber's and forums like SHH, the conversations are scarce to none. Hmpph. That's just the fan in me talking and what I'm feeling. What they show for a trailer and marketing when it ramps up must be FIRE. The balance of over exposure and under exposure can be difficult to master. I hope the final product talks the talk & walks the walk.

Feels like a graveyard with hype. We're about a year away and they are halfway through the shoot already. Outside of our nerd circles, nobody knows this thing is coming and coming fast. Pages were flying with prior films at this point. I'm having trouble engaging with fans or people about this movie. Outside of a few Youtuber's and forums like SHH, the conversations are scarce to none. Hmpph. That's just the fan in me talking and what I'm feeling. What they show for a trailer and marketing when it ramps up must be FIRE. The balance of over exposure and under exposure can be difficult to master. I hope the final product talks the talk & walks the walk.
The Superman suit reveal trended number 1 in the world. Think about it a still picture of Supes putting on his boots has people around the world talking. Imagine when a trailer comes out before the holidays. The movie is more than a year away and there will be at least 3 Marvel movies coming out before Superman. Relax. Gunn and company know what there doing.

The Superman suit reveal trended number 1 in the world. Think about it a still picture of Supes putting on his boots has people around the world talking. Imagine when a trailer comes out before the holidays. The movie is more than a year away and there will be at least 3 Marvel movies coming out before Superman. Relax. Gunn and company know what there doing.
I get all of that, I really do. I've been around for awhile. It's not even close to being the same right now. Sign of the times on social media? Probably, but I have more of a sense of urgency this time around with Superman. You sound a lot like myself during those prior days by being nothing but positive when someone would bring up slight concerns.

Understandable.

I'm feeling positive as well, but I'm a tad more hesitant nowadays. The suit trended, but not in the light the studio have hoped. I agree the trailer will kick things into overdrive, but I'm talking right now. Usually this far into a shoot, atleast some areas of the film as a concept are buzzing along. Nobody even knows who David even is yet and we haven't heard a peep out of him. I'm trusting the process, but I'm naturally more impatient than usual surrounding DC and Superman.

So when are we expecting a teaser? A shame it couldn't be attached to Deadpool 3. That movie (should) go bonkers at the box office.

Last edited:
So when are we expecting a teaser? A shame it couldn't be attached to Deadpool 3. That movie (should) go bonkers at the box office.

I am honestly wondering if anything is going to go bonkers at the box office. The fact that Furiosa is vastly underperforming (to the point it might lose money*) tells me this could be one of those years where nothing really clicks. What Tra-El is saying about Superman is what I am seeing about Deadpool...online and in the real world. It just doesn't feel like that film is coming out soon...

Don't get me wrong, it is going to be highly successful...but I definitely feel it has a ceiling that is much lower than people are thinking.

*edit: it is definitely going to lose money...it is crashing and burning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"