• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

There's no way it was genuinely worse than everything DC has already released in the last decade.

Yeah.
It may very well not have been good , but I don't buy the current regime's spin on it regardless.

They got a alot of bad PR and backlash cancelling the thing, and they're doing what lots of businesses or figures do nowadays when they're criticized : they're doubling down .

So Peter Safran's statements on it don't aren't exactly golden to me.

It's just more spin , and I'm not surprised they're still trying to convince everyone this would have wrecked the planet earth.:funny:.
It's very WB- ish.

Some more discussion on the Batgirl movie. I dunno, it sounds like it really was just that bad that it would have ruined careers.

Campea and RMB are bootlickers. They are almost universally groveling and worshipful to studio executives, it's just how they roll, there's no reason to take anything they say on these type of things seriously.

Batgirl tested okay according to most reliable insider sources. No worse than movies they released. And, again, it doesn't matter at all whether the movie was bad - that is a completely irrelevant, secondary point to why it should have been released.

Uh, what are you talking about? Batgirl was going to be released on HBO Max as a streaming exclusive, not theatrically.
You are right, I was initially under the impression that they considered moving it theatrically that but I dig some digging online and found that was debunked so I deleted my initial reply to this post so I could avoid spreading misinformation. Allow me to rephrase my initial point by saying that just releasing Batgirl on HBO Max(which is viewed by way more people than CW network) could be seen as more brand damaging by some higher-ups than releasing some niche show. That being said, I don’t agree with the decision to shelve Batgirl as I think it wouldn’t fair any worse commercially or critically than Black Adam did. Though in retrospect given the fact they’re using the Flash to reboot the DCU their own way perhaps it’s for the best it was canned. I mean….we know for sure Keaton isn’t coming back as Batman anytime soon, but I do want a Batgirl film but something different from the movie we were apparently getting so I do hope they get another Batgirl film off the ground someday.

Last edited:
xewgyb3qxpfa1.jpg

Interesting! Gunn didnt make that clear during his presentation and yet in one simple tweet clears up the #1 burning question everyone's had.

So they're using The Flash as the springboard to the new universe...which means Mamoa is still Aquaman since it comes after Flash.

Hmm...wonder if that means they've been doing reshoots on those movies to make that fit.

They're keeping their options open , which, from a business perspective makes sense.

If Aquaman 2, Blue Beetle, Flash, and /or even Shazam 2 perform gangbusters, you can't just chuck those versions and films for the sake of rebooting every character and recasting every actor.

The idea of them tossing out everything, including the very successful stuff , regardless if it's previously made a billion dollars , really isn't a viable option business wise.

We're not getting the hard reboot that alot of fans have advocated for in terms of casting.
Alot is changing , but not everything is changing.

The question is more , who stays and who goes , and for the last 4 films, they're gonna have to wait to see how they perform first before they move forward, again, from a business perspective.

I refuse to buy a guy like Clark (or his mother) putting an \S/ on that suit for "Superman." Refuse! :argh:

Lois should name him that because of the \S/ imo. The name coming after the \S/ is the only thing I'll accept lol. This farmkid ain't naming himself Superman. No way no how. :funny:
Agreed with this. To be fair, no one should be naming themselves Superman lol. :D

While I don't think Batgirl was "unwatchable" I can see how releasing a TV movie in theaters could perhaps, from a certain perspective, "damage the brand". In the context of an already unpopular DCEU, having a movie that doesn't meet the basic expectations of the general public for a theatrical release felt like a risky decision (for them, I don't necessarily agree).
But yes, it's still a shame and these wordings used by Safran aren't really wise. Isolated, these terms will lead people to false conclusions about the incompetence of the team behind the film, but unfortunately, this is just a studio doing what it takes to keep face...

We'll never know what Batgirl really looked like, but I really appreciate the footage shared on social media by someone from the film that I posted in the dedicated thread. It's a cool looking practical stunt and it felt quite cinematic to me... Oh well.

I don't think Gunn is doing a half-reboot.

In my opinion, what he's saying here is that The Flash is indeed reshuffling some cards for some characters (Barry himself, maybe Batfleck finding an end to his arc via Flash's impact on his timeline, etc), others remain unchanged...but what he doesn't say, is that maybe all of them are still in the old DCEU.

Basically, Momoa is still the same Aquaman, Davis is still the same Waller, Cena is probably still Peacemaker, and Creature Commando's Wiesel is the same as in The Suicide Squad. By the way, it's obvious that this series wasn't conceived in the last three months when Gunn & Safran were promoted, the project seems too advanced and therefore earlier. I suspect it's the same for Waller actually.

Remember, Gunn said that his plan really started with Superman: Legacy.
I really suspect that everything that is supposed to come out before this one is actually the "conclusion" of the old DCEU. On closer inspection, these are almost all spin-offs of his Suicide Squad and most certainly the projects he teased long before his new position.
I really think he's just playing with words to not give the impression that these last series would be a "dead end", as some might be tempted to think.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong.
I mean, I said Gunn wouldn't announce anything and that I would never be interested in a shared universe, so... :funny:

Last edited:
Interesting! Gunn didnt make that clear during his presentation and yet in one simple tweet clears up the #1 burning question everyone's had.

So they're using The Flash as the springboard to the new universe...which means Mamoa is still Aquaman since it comes after Flash.

Hmm...wonder if that means they've been doing reshoots on those movies to make that fit.
I think this means Ezra is still The Flash.

I do wonder if like, that theory going around of him helming Brave and the Bold and his Batman script being re-worked into it could end up being true. I wouldn't be against it honestly.

Lanterns could also be a good project for him given the True Detective nature it seems to be going for. But that's assuming he's in talks with Gunn to direct something other than a movie.

Campea and RMB are bootlickers. They are almost universally groveling and worshipful to studio executives, it's just how they roll, there's no reason to take anything they say on these type of things seriously.

Batgirl tested okay according to most reliable insider sources. No worse than movies they released. And, again, it doesn't matter at all whether the movie was bad - that is a completely irrelevant, secondary point to why it should have been released.

I guess you haven't heard what he thinks of Disney... :funny: Also, why would Campea need to suck up to studio execs? He's asked to be taken off the mailing lists for screeners and doesn't attend premiers. I mean he's literally been talking about retiring in a couple of years. RMB still works in the industry so it's understandable if he doesn't go all out ranting like Campea tends to do.

Did it though...? I don't recall seeing many, if any, positive reactions from test screening posted here. "Ok" is not exactly what I would call acceptable.

Last edited:
On giving some further thought, I think my biggest worry about this lineup is whether it actually is a *new* lineup. Most of these announced projects are pretty similar to projects that had theoretically already been in the works at various points over the past few years. So, is this actually a new Gunn-built foundation for the future, or did they effectively just bring him in to give a PR boost to what is mostly "A list of random projects we still had in the works"?

On giving some further thought, I think my biggest worry about this lineup is whether it actually is a *new* lineup. Most of these announced projects are pretty similar to projects that had theoretically already been in the works at various points over the past few years. So, is this actually a new Gunn-built foundation for the future, or did they effectively just bring him in to give a PR boost to what is mostly "A list of random projects we still had in the works"?
I think there may well be some element of 'dusting off' a few older project ideas, at least as a basis. So long as the end result is good I'm fine with it.

Just a couple of ideas for how they should handle Superman:

Make use of the lesser known members of Superman's rogues gallery instead of just leaning on the big guns (e.g. Luthor, Zod, Doomsday).

I'm not against the idea of exploring a dark or evil Superman, but it really needs to be built up to, i.e. not in the second movie of your franchise. The same with the Death of Superman.

This is more of a personal preference, but, with the exception of the Superman-Lois marriage, stay away from the vast majority of anything John Byrne influenced, including the Lois and Clark tv show. Not a fan of it. Also stay away from the Earth One series.

Not sure about the idea of Matthew Vaughn as a director. Note: this isn't connected to anything I've heard. I just remember he was a popular choice and there were rumors about him taking over from Snyder. He himself was even throwing his name into the ring a lot, stating how much of a fan of the character he was. I was all on board with him, right up until he revealed his pitch with Superman growing up on Krypton. I don't doubt he likes Superman, but does he understand Superman? I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
It seemed like Batgirl had the problem of not only being connected to the previous regime but also not looking like a big budget film that could do worldwide box office. Wasn't there a quote somewhere from someone who saw footage of it that said it looked like a very expensive CW TV show?

Yeah, but in terms of being a perjorative, my mind can't help but jump to what is *also* a "very expensive CW TV show":

superman-and-lois-tyler-hoechlin-1607605148.jpg

Yeah, but in terms of being a perjorative, my mind can't help but jump to what is *also* a "very expensive CW TV show":

I think its a bit different if its an ACTUAL CW show with a large budget, compared to something that is supposed to be a big streaming movie (that was also going to be in theaters at one point...?).

Lol that's not expensive with $2m budget per episode. WB spent $90m on Batgirl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"