• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DC Films The DC Studios News and Discussion Thread

Clooney would be great for Batman Beyond, especially if he was playing the 60 year old Bruce in the opening scene of the Rebirth episode where he's wearing the BB suit before he had to retire.

Maybe Bale will appear at the end of The Flash but I really don't believe he'll be in the DCU.

But since we're on the subject, I just don't understand what would be the point of going back to an old Batman actor when you're building something that is supposed to be new. And I feel like it's even worse asking that actor to play another version of that same character...
I mean, really, what's the point? Just to get that little tap on the shoulder with the movie saying : "See? That's a Batman you like! So cool! But see, it's not the same version, it's like a multiverse, get it? Oh, and the director is also Batman, it's Batman directing Batman! Aww so meta! So bright!".

I'm aware that this metatext thing (including cameos, easter egg, self-derision of the source material, etc.) is the current trend, and it can be interesting. But right now, I feel like it quickly became the most uncreative thing to do. I just wish people would stop geeking about these very superficial tricks so that writers would stop hiding their lazyness behind it, and really start busting their ***** to write good stories again...

I rage a lot in my last few posts, sorry for that aha :funny:

Last edited:
Maybe Bale will appear at the end of The Flash but I really don't believe he'll be in the DCU.

But since we're on the subject, I just don't understand what would be the point of going back to an old Batman actor when you're building something that is supposed to be new. And I feel like it's even worse asking that actor to play another version of that same character...
I mean, really, what's the point? Just to get that little tap on the shoulder with the movie saying : "See? That's a Batman you like! So cool! But see, it's not the same version, it's like a multiverse, get it? Oh, and the director is also Batman, it's Batman directing Batman! Aww so meta! So bright!".

I'm aware that this metatext thing (including cameos, easter egg, self-derision of the source material, etc.) is the current trend, and it can be interesting. But right now, I feel like it quickly became the most uncreative thing to do. I just wish people would stop geeking about these very superficial tricks so that writers would stop hiding their lazyness behind it, and really start busting their ***** to write good stories again...

I rage a lot in my last few posts, sorry for that aha :funny:

WB can’t ignore the success of Spider-Man: No Way Home and the pulley huge success of Deadpool 3 with High Jackman

WB can’t ignore the success of Spider-Man: No Way Home and the pulley huge success of Deadpool 3 with High Jackman
I mean, yeah. That's one of the reasons why Flash has Keaton's Batman back.

But there's a difference in bringing back previous actors who played these roles for another appearance, and another to suggest an old actor is going to reprise the role in a new cinematic universe for years to come. What do you think is more likely?

I hope it is a new actor anyways but wouldn't exactly hate it if bale or Clooney return for a new take.

It'd be so weird to see Bale back, especially in a movie like The Flash, that comes with so much negative baggage. Can't pretend I wouldn't be a little disappointed in Bale, given that he always said he'd only return to the role if Nolan was involved. Feels like the TDK movies would be a little tarnished by association with the dumpster fire that DC has been in the years since Rises came out.

Can you imagine a new Batman reboot directed by Ben Affleck starring Christian Bale?! :wow:

I honestly can't. Bale has said multiple times he would love to do a follow-up to TDKR only with Nolan's involvement. It would have to be an amazing script that his agent would force him to read -- and even then he probably wouldn't do it.

But anything's possible. I didn't think Tobey would do a Spidey movie without Raimi but he did. And if I recall correctly, didn't Jon Watts consult with Raimi and Webb before shooting to let them know and have input?

You have to believe that WB wanted some way to get ALL of the Batman actors on screen together in some type of crossover movie. They still might.

I wouldn't put it past WB -- Zaslav would probably override Gunn and Safran on something like that. The thing is, NWH had a basic story inspiration in the Spider-man comics that the writers could work with and incorporate the multiverse. Batman doesn't have something equal to that apart from reusing a "Flashpoint" plot device.

It would take a REALLY talented and imaginative writer (or multiple) to make a Batman answer to NWH that would get Keaton, Bale and Pattinson onboard. Not only satisfy the actors being courted and keep the budget from skyrocketing, but whoever directed it would have to nail the tone perfectly.

I wouldn't put it past WB -- Zaslav would probably override Gunn and Safran on something like that. The thing is, NWH had a basic story inspiration in the Spider-man comics that the writers could work with and incorporate the multiverse. Batman doesn't have something equal to that apart from reusing a "Flashpoint" plot device.

It would take a REALLY talented and imaginative writer (or multiple) to make a Batman answer to NWH that would get Keaton, Bale and Pattinson onboard. Not only satisfy the actors being courted and keep the budget from skyrocketing, but whoever directed it would have to nail the tone perfectly.

Crisis On Infinite Earths?

And if I recall correctly, didn't Jon Watts consult with Raimi and Webb before shooting to let them know and have input?
Raimi yeah but that was more about the Multiverse stuff rather than specifically Tobey's Spider-Man since he was working on MoM. As far as Webb is concerned, no I believe those were just rumors.

Crisis On Infinite Earths?

I totally forgot about that one. And it would be more technically polished than the CW version, which apart from Kevin Conroy and seeing Routh back in the Superman costume, wasn't that good.

Today it would be a Bat event and just have cameos from other characters. :hehe:

You have to seriously overhaul the storyline of “Crisis on Infinite Earths” to be a Batman answer to NWH. It’s feasible with the proper writers (maybe Christina Hodson and David Leslie Johnson-Goldrick?). But like I said it would have to hit some key metrics: studio has to approve the script, it has to satisfy several key Batman actors (Keaton/Bale/Pattinson) in order to get them on board and it can’t go over a certain amount of $$$. And it has to be a decent movie.

I return to the fact Bale has repeatedly said he’d only come back to Batman if Nolan made it… and that ain’t happening.

Also… it wouldn’t make any sense. His Bruce was done as Batman. So, would it be another BaleBat from a different universe from Nolan’s?

When it comes to Bale...who ever thought he would do a Marvel movie?
A Marvel movie from Taika Waititi?
So im not ruling out anything.

And with Multiverse i dont rule out anything in general.
I could see him being willing to do a cameo of a Nolan like Batman that in a different universe is still active.

But honestly, im not reading too much into it or worry...this came from Grace so im not losing sleep over it.

If they drop Keaton, but bring back Clooney... *phew*.

Look, I could write an essay on the fun merits of Batman & Robin, but there's no way I'd pick Clooney over Keaton, IF the angle is bring back a legacy actor. So you're telling me we could have: a 20-something Superman actor, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and a 63 year old Batman hanging around for 10 years?

They need a clean slate/recast for ALL the trinity.

If they drop Keaton, but bring back Clooney... *phew*.

Look, I could write an essay on the fun merits of Batman & Robin, but there's no way I'd pick Clooney over Keaton, IF the angle is bring back a legacy actor. So you're telling me we could have: a 20-something Superman actor, Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman and a 63 year old Batman hanging around for 10 years?

They need a clean slate/recast for ALL the trinity.

I'm sure they will.

Because Gunn said that Superman: Legacy will be the "true new start" (or something like that) I'm still convinced that everything before will still be the "old" DCEU. And that includes the Waller and Creatures Commando series, which are clearly spin-offs of The Suicide Squad and whose development clearly predated Gunn&Safran's promotion (the former didn't "write all the episodes" in those last three months at his new job).
The way I see it, they stay vague about how things are connected because there are still four old regime films to promote. It's a lot of money in play, so they can't say that these won't matter in the brand new great project they got exposure for. It's that weird transitional period where the game is to do half-assing to keep the profit opportunities to a maximum.

But I'm sure within a year, a year and a half at most, we won't be talking about Gadot as WW, or Momoa as Aquaman anymore..

At least I hope...
The other hypothesis would be that they may not yet know exactly if the DCU will be an extension of the DCEU or not, and that they are waiting to see the success of old regime films. In that case, Superman: Legacy would actually be the deadline when the studio will have had the feedback to know what to do...
But I think it would be an error. Success or not for the remains of what Snyder started, Warner and DC should better build on a clean state if they want to achieve that gigantic multimedia connected universe they have ambitions for.

Last edited:
I think the reality is, that we aren't going to get the hard reboot alot of fans may want .

At the very least, it won't be to the extent alot of fandom may prefer.

Yeah, WBD is certainly waiting to see how the next 4 films perform.

They're a movie studio which purpose is to make money more than it is to having a consistent cinematic universe.

At the end of the day, they respond to the GA speaking with their dollars ,and if Aquaman 2 makes a billion , for example, they aren't gonna chuck that version for the sake of everyone being recasted.

So things are up in the air right now .

Fans and geek pundits have made alot of assumptions, over the past months, about what Gunn plans to do, and they've been more wrong than they've been right.

I tend to think the picture will be much clearer for us by the end of the year.

Gunn seems to be implying that DC Studios will have NO oversight from WB as a whole. That suggests that no matter how Abdy and DeLuca feel about box office results (good or bad), the buck stops with Gunn/Safran.

I'm not sure that's sensible, but I guess we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"