The Flash The Flash Season 1 Episode 21: Grodd Lives

I see chemistry...I just don't see sparks. I think that they make good friends. I'll tell you, I found Iris tolerable for the most part while she was in a relationship with Eddie. I thought by far her strongest episode was Power Outage, and I found her to be believable in her love for Eddie (up until the hospital scene between Iris and the Flash, which was so inappropriate. I was so angry after that moment). So I ship WesThawne pretty hard.

I liked when she was with Eddie. The way Flash/Barry kept visiting her pretty much everywhere (which is sort of stalking) was a tad pushed. It was almost like they were trying to remind us this is the couple we need to be rooting for any time they have a scene together. Season 1A Iris >>>> Season 2A Iris.

The funny thing is they sort of grew up as brother and sister and that is exactly how they feel onscreen.

Well actually, Barry never saw Iris as a sister. The writers established that he had a crush on her before they lived together. And we've learned that Iris has long been suppressing her feelings for Barry. So I don't think they ever really saw each other as siblings. To me, they have always had a best friend vibe, with the potential for more.

The only reason why I tolerate all of this is because of the fact that the show has strongly hinted that if it wasn't for Wells (Reverse Flash) having killed Nora Allen in the past, Barry and Iris would be with each other right now.

It seems like in the "Prime Timeline" (basically, where Nora Allen was never killed in the first place), Barry grew up in a happy family environment with his mom and dad, thus never becoming Joe's foster child.

And as a result of never harboring any doubts about intimate relationships (since his dad going to prison is said to have triggered this feeling within him, thus having prevented him from confessing his feelings to Iris), Barry was able to pursue a romantic relationship with Iris, thus them becoming a couple and Iris never entering into a serious relationship with Eddie.

But alternate timeline aside, they have undoubtedly made Iris into one of the worst female leads for a comic book show in recent memory.

She likes to nag on everyone for not being honest with her, she's selfish, and she has no problem cheating on her respective partner if her mood is right.

Frankly, I'd rather watch a whole season's worth of bad Olicity than watch Iris as she is right now.

But alternate timeline aside, they have undoubtedly made Iris into one of the worst female leads for a comic book show in recent memory.

Doesn't that (sadly) go for the majority of women on current DC comics shows? :o

She likes to nag on everyone for not being honest with her, she's selfish, and she has no problem cheating on her respective partner if her mood is right.

Most of that reminds me of Thea at her worst. *shudder*

Doesn't that (sadly) go for the majority of women on current DC comics shows? :o

I remember terri hatchers louis lane. She was selfish and moody and angry and was brilliant.

Do think it is a big part down to the actress that she has a nice smile but little charisma.

Unfortunately.

I think one of the problems is that the producers for those respective shows don't put much thought in how they should utilize their female leads and just bring them onto their shows as part of their gimmick, where they can say that they have the female love interest that is known for ending up with their respective male leads in comic book mythology.

Plus, when you add that to the whole misguided mindset of believing that a couple will grow stale if they end up with each other too early thus they need to add in as much angst between them as possible to delay the potential inevitable, it only hurts their intentions even more.

That's probably because Grodd's intelligence is currently still being developed. Once he gets smarter he'll speak better and write less equations.
Very true, but if he's able to comprehend and write out math equations (they looked complex at a glance), his ability to speak should be just as advanced. A very minor observation I noticed, not trying to nitpick.

Very true, but if he's able to comprehend and write out math equations (they looked complex at a glance), his ability to speak should be just as advanced. A very minor observation I noticed, not trying to nitpick.
Maybe, but some people also learn things at better paces than other things.

I picked up Math really quick, but I couldn't pronounce the word "motorcycle" correctly until the 5th grade. Had to go to speech class althrough elementary school.

Let's not forget, before the accident, Grodd was a gorilla, an animal that acted primarily on instinct. The fact that he can now speak somewhat intelligibly, telepathically no less, and can do math and write his name, is a gigantic step in his evolution. So he currently talks like Johnny Weismuller in a bad Tarzan movie, that's pretty amazing he can do that much. I am sure he is still evolving, and the next time we see him, he will have evolved even more. It makes more sense to me that this will take some time, as opposed to him being the super genius ape we are all familiar with after only a year, especially considering where he started.

Saw this episode finally, loved, Grodd was superb, the CGI for a TV show was stunning and I loved the show at the end of him still alive. Really going to miss this show when the season ends, thankfully we have another season to look forward to.

I've watched this episode 5 times now, and there isn't enough gratitude in my heart for everyone involved in bringing Gorilla Grodd, my favorite DC villain, to life. I've wanted to see that character for many years, but I was always afraid that he would be Raimi-ed (ie some lazy reimagining) and I'd be disappointed. What we saw was simply stunning. I especially want to praise Jesse L. Martin for selling not only the terror of Grodd's physical presence, but also the effects of his psionic powers. That

While Gorilla City might not ever happen, the possibilities with Grodd going forward on this fearless show are nearly boundless. I simply can't wait.

That was a very enjoyable episode. I was looking forward to see Grodd, in fact. And I think, while it may not be enough on the long run, that it was very effective andGrodd was very well done. For a fu**ing TV serie, they surely did it well.
I disagree with some people here, I thought Iris was, for once, cool and able to show a personnality. Wow, it was about time.
And I applause Jesse L. Martin's performance, it made Grodd kind of real. He sold the scene to me. Well done.
I'm so looking forward seeing Grodd, more and more.

Oh My Grodd!

Can someone please either kill off Iris or have her temporarily leave the show?

Man, Iris is really the "Flash" version of "Lana Lang" from Smallville.

And what's worse is that they try to justify her actions and have both Barry and Joe feel apologetic about it.

Just to be clear, I'm no shipper nor a sexist/racist. The Iris that I saw at the beginning of the season was likable.

But somehow, over the course of the season, they've continually allowed her to become such a pain in the ass that it's almost hard to enjoy the good stuff that each episode presents due to HOW much of her is present within those given episodes.

It's all about her and her needs, never once considering on how other people feel. Quite frankly, I'd like to call her a lot of other things but I'm not.

Anyways, Irritating Iris aside, I thought the episode was good.

I loved that they portrayed on how terrifying Grodd is and how Barry really needed a lot of dumb luck to beat someone like him.

Didn't really get the whole "Father doesn't like Guns" thing since we've seen Wells use Guns and Grodd made his lackey use a gun as well.

Off topic, but I wonder if the Editor even knew that he had misplaced a close up shot in a running sequence where Barry is shown wearing Cisco's device in every other shot?

Wait. So you're saying Iris wasn't justified to be angry that her father, best friend, and boyfriend, the three most important men in her life (people in her life period) were lying to her, treating her like an infant, not telling her that her life was threatened, that her life was in danger because the Flash's enemies know his identity, not telling her that her friend and colleague was murdered. You're telling me that she had no right to feel angry? None at all?

Please tell me how Iris never considers anyone's feelings.

Basically iris has confusing feelings she doesn't quite know what to do with and she doesn't like that her boyfriend, father, and best friend were all keeping a secret from her that may or may not have gotten previously mentioned boyfriend kidnapped if not killed........
What a selfish ****!!!!!

Tell it. Every other character is allowed to show emotions, but not Iris.

This had the potential to be a really big episode,but as usual,the Iris affair really dragged it around the block and back again before really dealing with what we all wanted to see-GRODD!

In fairness,I liked the early Iris scenes. I felt bad for her as she went through the whole "Wait,Eddie knows? My dad knows? Mason is dead?!? etc". She honestly had a right to be a bit peeved. But as it went on, she just started acting like a diva and it felt like the whole story had to come to a grinding halt over her "hurt feelings".

It also didn't help that they tried (fairly unconvincingly) to act like she was suitable Wells replacement material.

Speaking of which, I thought they would make more of the fact that they lost Wells as their resident genius. They sorta mention it, but then say "Eh...Cisco is smart enough to pick up the slack". I don't mind but they basically needed Wells to hold their hand all season. His loss could've been more keenly felt.

Grodd looked awesome! No complaint there. I wish he would've just outright talked, but maybe he's not through developing. His effect on Joe was chilling to say the least. Joe's a pretty tough guy and to see him pretty much cowering from Grodd was unsettling.

It was nice that we also got an "Aw,Joe" moment at the end with Iris. Haven't seen one of those in a while.

The highlight to me was the Eobard/Eddie scenes. Eobard is all like "Sorry to break it to you pal,but you're the runt of the litter. Ain't nothin' important you'll ever do!" :hehe: He's so mean!

The Flash/Grodd fight effects were great.

I can't really see why they'd let the General out of the pipeline. He still seemed pretty dangerous even without being a meta human.

Referring to the bold, I think Iris was a good replacement for Wells. Wells/Eobard never had real faith in Barry and his abilities. He knew what Barry would be capable of because he's from the future and seen it all. He pushed Barry for sinister reasons. Iris has always believed in Barry. She's always put faith in him. If Barry needed anyone in that moment, it was her.

Honestly, I think it would be at least somewhat easier to understand on why the Producers are portraying Iris's character in this manner.

I mean it wouldn't be hard for an average person to assume, based on watching this series alone, that the Producers want to find almost every possible means in ensuring that Iris doesn't come off as a likable character and that we shouldn't enjoy her potential/future romance with Barry.

1. She's his Foster Sister

2. She's a Hypocrite

3. She's a freaking Selfish Diva

4. She has no problem in cheating on Eddie when she's in the mood

5. She feels like she's entitled to be in control and know everything about Barry's life

I mean are the writers knowingly doing this to her as part of some arc for her to later realize the errors of her ways like Laurel did in Season 2?

Or are they just that ignorant in what makes a character likable?

Normally, I wouldn't care so much about stuff like this but I don't think it's a unfair assessment to say that Iris has been this show's biggest dead weight from the start.

They've had to find ways to force her into the main arcs at times and place a significant amount of time on her, despite the fact that she comes off as a horrible person in that exposure.

Can the producers just pull a "Gotham's Barbara" and have Barry wake up from this nightmare and end up with someone actually more suitable and likable like how Gordon did with Leslie Tompkins?

To all the bold: How is Iris a selfish person? How is she a diva? I see people throwing around these words but not actually describing the behavior behind it. She cheated on Eddie once and that was when she kissed Barry when she thought they were going to die. How does she show that she feels entitled to know everything about Barry's life?

really getting sick of the hate some fans give Iris what do you expect it is to be HUMAN

Same here. It's as if Iris isn't allowed to express her emotions like every other character. I see a lot trivializing Iris's emotions to and chalking it all up to her just acting like a diva. Iris just can't win with some people. No matter what she does or doesn't do they're not going to like her. I felt like flipping a table, when among the many criticisms about Iris's character last year, one was that she breathed too hard during her rooftop scene with Flash.

Some people also need to note that Iris is reacting a lot to how she's being treated by the man in her life. Yet the unfair treatment they're giving Iris is somehow Iris's fault. Iris should be fine and dandy with it all. She has no right to be angry right? Or to express that anger right?

There's a lot of gross exaggeration of Iris's behavior to make her seem like this complete and utter selfish *****. All of Iris's good qualities and actions get ignored in favor of her few bad actions (and let me say few again) and forever pinned as a terrible person. Unlike the other characters, Iris's good traits and deeds are skipped over and her entire character is defined by one misdeed.

Cute before age 12, weirder after. I think of them as brother and sister. Joe called himself a father to Barry several times. They lived together as kids.

I didn't want to google either. :yay:
I have heard it of it too in rural states. Usually as an insult...

Barry's relationship with Joe doesn't affect his relationship with Iris. Barry (neither does Joe or Iris) obviously sees no gross factor in loving Iris. You have to keep in mind that Barry loved her before he moved in with them, before Joe was anything but Mr. West. As to them growing up together, it's not unheard of for foster kids forced to live with strangers to develop crushes on other foster kids. They know they ain't related and don't view each other as siblings (although some do become close and consider themselves family. that's just not the case for all foster kids).

Totally agree. ASM Gwen was written quite well despite the flaws of the films she was in. I'd put Pepper Potts in that category as well. I'd say the X Men films are probably alot better than most with their female characters as well because they too aren't defined by being the love interests. I'd even say characters like Rachel Dawes in the Nolan films, and Thea and Moira Queen were written as independent women's who had lives that didn't revolve around the male protagonist(s).

That's why I'm taken aback when so many defend how Iris is written on the grounds that she's somehow a break from how female characters have been written in the past , and that the writers are somehow doing her character good service . If anything, I've seen the reaction to the Iris from non comic book fans and critics to be that of shock and disbelief at how they have portrayed her character.

I think they're trying to rectify Iris's life revolving around the men now. She's got her family subplot that'll introduce Wally West and she's got a journalism subplot with a new boss coming up. Season 2 has really shown Iris not so connected to Barry and the relationship drama, but her screen time was also reduced in the first half of the season.

I was thinking the same thing. Interesting you say this because this has been going around tumblr for a while now:

tumblr_nnubu2Em1A1utojlgo1_1280.jpg

Snowbarry has been going on since before the show even started. They started shipping Barry/Caitlin from promo pictures and 5 seconds of Caitlin telling Barry to pee in a cup (which came off kind of flat in the episode). Now I see some Barry/Caitlin shippers actually getting mad that they're not getting together despite knowing from the beginning that Iris would be Barry's main love interest. Some were hoping they'd pull an Olicity, but (and I've never watched Arrow) from what I've heard from other fans Laurel was disliked by the majority of the fanbase. That's not the case with Iris West. She has a lot of fans. I don't see the writers changing Barry's love interest from Iris to somebody else when she clearly has a lot of people who like her character. A lot of Iris's fans have instead been advocating for better writing for her.

That wasn't what I was meaning, I am not suggesting turning Iris psycho, I was thinking that there is no chemistry between Candice and Grant just like there was none between Erin and Ben, so the show runners made the switch when the obvious chemistry with Morena was right in front of them. I think it is similar with Barry and Caitlin.

Chemistry is subjective. Example: Candice Patton was hired largely because they felt she had amazing chemistry with Grant and they're not alone in thinking this. Iris/Barry pairing has a lot of fans. Another example: I see absolutely no romantic chemistry between Barry and Caitlin. I saw more of a mother/son vibe in the beginning which is funny because Danielle Panabaker said on set she feels like Grant Gustin's mother. Anyways I doubt the writers are going to switch out Iris when she has a lot of fans who agree with their chemistry assessment.

No. Iris blamed Barry for keeping a secret from her because she is his best friend and she felt entitled to know. She has no rights to his secret.

Then she angry at Joe for keeping her in the dark, which I don't think is justified either. She was mad at him for why he kept her in the dark, and that is indeed reasonable. Then she was angry that Joe hadn't told her that Barry was crushing on her and she proceeded to blame Joe for Eddie's kidnapping. That was unreasonable.

She confronted Caitlin about her hiding the truth about Ronnie...which is none of Iris' s business.

The problem with Iris being so mad is she lied to her dad for months about her and Eddie...and she lied to Eddie at least once about her rooftop meeting with the Flash, and once to her father about meeting the Flash in the hospital. She's fine with secrets...as long as they benefit herself.

To the bold, Barry felt Iris had a right to know his secret. He gave her that right. She was the first person he wanted to tell when he became the Flash. Now about Iris not telling Joe that she was talking to the Flash in the hallway, that's not comparable to Joe keeping her in the dark about the Flash's identity. Joe's life wasn't in danger because Iris decided not to tell him the flash appeared in the hallway to speak with her. However, Iris's life was in danger because the Flash had enemies who knew his true identity. Meaning any time they wanted they could attack Iris who's extremely close to Barry/Flash. Iris not telling Joe that she spoke to the flash in the hallway is not comparable to Joe not telling his worried daughter that her friend and college was murdered. Iris not telling Joe she spoke with the Flash for two seconds is not comparable to Joe not telling Iris her very life was threatened and that at any time, any moment, she could be swept off the street by an unknown enemy and murdered.

The Ronnie thing wasn't Iris's business but it's not like she pressed Caitlin to tell her. She just acknowledged that Caitlin had lied to her in an attempt to keep the Flash business a secret from her. Caitlin, no longer feeling the need to lie, let her in on Ronnie's (and remember that Caitlin went to Iris for help on tracking down Ronnie) and her's relationship. That was a sweet moment between Caitlin and Iris and I'm still at a loss as to why the writers aren't developing a good friendship between the only two females on the show.

Well actually, Barry never saw Iris as a sister. The writers established that he had a crush on her before they lived together. And we've learned that Iris has long been suppressing her feelings for Barry. So I don't think they ever really saw each other as siblings. To me, they have always had a best friend vibe, with the potential for more.

Exactly. Some people are making it more complicated than it needs to be. I feel some are purposefully blinding themselves when it comes to Barry's and Iris's relationship. Barry and Iris don't view each other as siblings period. Other characters in the show make that assumption and that's understandable, but what other outside characters think about Barry's and Iris's relationship aren't going to change how Barry and Iris actually view each other. Barry and Iris had an established relationship before they moved in. Barry was in love with Iris before he moved in with her, heck he loved her before his mother's death so he had to have had those feelings for a while. Barry's relationship with and feelings for Iris preceded his relationship with Joe. Barry's relationship with Joe doesn't affect his relationship with Iris. Barry was old enough when he moved in with the West's not to confuse Iris as his sister and Joe as his actual father. Barry even visited his real father in jail often. Barry viewing Joe as a father figure doesn't mean he has or does view Iris as a sister. If anything, moving in with Iris is probably what heightened his feelings for her to the max. Someone said Barry thinking of Joe as a father makes him loving Iris weird. Do sons and daughters in law not think of their parent in laws as their actual parents? Do they not call their parents in law 'mother' and 'father'? I know my step mother refers to my grandfather as dad. And finally it's not unheard of for foster kids to develop romantic feelings for each other. These are kids forced to move in with strangers, people they don't know and are sure as heck aware that they're not related to each other. They can't help it if they grow close to one another (again basically strangers, people they don't view as family, aware they're not related in any way) and develop crushes. How many times do the characters and actors have to address that Barry's and Iris's relationship isn't that of siblings before people stop acting like Barry and Iris came from the same womb.

None of the above is valid. You clearly love the character and actress. There are other characters that are more important than Iris. This is her worst episode, even regular viewers didn't like her in this. I've read enough defensive remarks over a fictional character to know when there's a broken record. She's less bad this season. Still not a fan. This isn't tumblr either. We're pretty chill here. No need to bring in fandom drama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"